• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Love and Thunder ⚡ impressions thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

ManaByte

hercules GIF

Thor 5:
jim-annual-01-000.jpg

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I give it 6/10

For me the rankings of the thor movies is

1. Thor Ragnarok
2. Thor
3. Thor: love and Thunder
4.Thor the dark world.

For me, L+T is overall an enjoyable movie for marvel and thor fans, but the stormbreaker and hammer relationships were overdone, and the scarcasm was overdone, the jokes were not great compared to Ragnarok.
When Thor kills Zeus it was pretty bizarre, the movie was all pretty jokey and then suddenly Thor brutally throws a lighting bolt through Zeus's chest. Also Janes cancer and the loss of Gors daughter felt tonally contradictory to the rest of the movie.

There were some quality action scenes and I thought bale put out a quality performance, the story overall was rather weak though, it reminded me of Star Trek (2009) but without the character building and with unwanted unfunny humour and tone. At least the pacing of the film was good, progressing from scene to scene quickly gave it variety and kept you entertained.

Its so odd that it deals with depressing things, Jane having cancer and dying and gor losing his daughter and just accept dying and letting Thor raise his daughter, but most of the movie try to be light and comedic.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There is a lot I liked about the movie, but a lot I also felt was unneeded. Someone mentioned that it was akin to going from Batman and Robin to Batman Forever and I can’t say I disagree. Mighty Thor was a surprisingly well done version and I am kind of bummed we didn’t get more of her. They really did her well and I was fully expecting them to bungle it.

The constant showing of children being in positions of power felt a bit too… childish? From the kids fighting back using Thor‘s power to the adopted daughter of the villain at the end fighting alongside Thor - none of it was *bad*, but it felt like it should have been in a different movie. Also I don’t see the reason to have RockDude get married and have a kid. It felt so shoehorned in and completely pointless other than to throw in another Pro LGBT message. The writing for Valkyrie and her previous loves also felt really poorly handled in this film. I would have rather seen RockDude meet someone and have it be a good, strong side story than a “Oh, I have two dads and they create babies by holding hands over lava“ 20 min later “Here is my husband and now we are creating a baby by holding hands over lava”. Create better writing for these characters, damnit! They are great characters. They deserve better.

Vyse

Gold Member
Big fan of Thor and Marvels movies in general. Super hyped and man did I not enjoy this movie. Wtf. Felt like it couldn’t figure out what kind of movie it wanted to be. Slapstick at one point, super serious the next. Don’t get me started of the kids. Wow. Think the Eternals just went up from being my least favorite Marvel movie.

Trunx81

Just came out of the cinema. I expected a comedy and this is what I got. Some jokes landed pretty good, others pretty hard. I know Thor is a big goofy kid, but in all these years it felt like he was back at the beginning. No character growth, especially after Infinity War.
I can get over the thrown in LGBTQ whatever stuff, as the shoehorn it now into every movie or series. But this was, again, a lot “on the nose”.

The good:
Jane
The Goats (we had one guy in the cinema who could really do the scream 1:1)
Bales performance. This guy just can act!
The Zeussettes (damn!)

The bad:
Inconsitency (funny and sad scenes didn’t mix)
Incoherence (why can’t Thor just summon Stormbreaker from earth? He did that with his hammer through different universes)
Thor (his goofyness tired pretty quick)

kunonabi

Just came out of the cinema. I expected a comedy and this is what I got. Some jokes landed pretty good, others pretty hard. I know Thor is a big goofy kid, but in all these years it felt like he was back at the beginning. No character growth, especially after Infinity War.
I can get over the thrown in LGBTQ whatever stuff, as the shoehorn it now into every movie or series. But this was, again, a lot “on the nose”.

The good:
Jane
The Goats (we had one guy in the cinema who could really do the scream 1:1)
Bales performance. This guy just can act!
The Zeussettes (damn!)

The bad:
Inconsitency (funny and sad scenes didn’t mix)
Incoherence (why can’t Thor just summon Stormbreaker from earth? He did that with his hammer through different universes)
Thor (his goofyness tired pretty quick)

Well, his arc in Endgame pretty much ended with his mom telling him he was never really capable of growing as a person and not being suited for much else other than fighting so that's pretty much who he is now.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I would just want to see this because....

+ Guardians of the Galaxy
+ Dimension hopping shenanigans I'm guessing
+ Gorr the God Butcher

Also, is Knull is referenced or at least hinted at in this movie? I'm pretty sure that in the comics the Necrosword belongs to or is even a part of Knull of the Living Abyss.

One part of the trailer actually made it look like Gorr was sort of in the Living Abyss or something akin to it.

Knull is probably one of my favorite new god-like supervillains in the Marvel universe.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I really would like to get my ass back to the theaters but I'm afraid to because of.... *epic echoing sound* COVID !!!! 👀

But at the same time I really want some of that movie theater popcorn with that nice movie theater butter. I can't really find a home equivalent of movie theater popcorn and butter but if anyone can help me locate that I would appreciate that.

Darkmakaimura

I really would like to get my ass back to the theaters but I'm afraid to because of.... *epic echoing sound* COVID !!!! 👀

But at the same time I really want some of that movie theater popcorn with that nice movie theater butter. I can't really find a home equivalent of movie theater popcorn and butter but if anyone can help me locate that I would appreciate that.
Also my Doctor Strange shirt arrives Saturday and I'd like to go decked out in it.

Screenshot-20220707-175236-01.jpg

RCU005

I really liked the action scenes. They were short but very sweet. I even thought that the kids having Thor's power was very well done.

What I didn't like:

1) The kids having Thor's power would've worked better if they didn't have more than one scene of Thor "visiting" them. Felt like it was unnecessary.
2) Jane getting her powers off screen! At least they should have shown her trying to hold Mjolnir before cutting the scene.
3) Many jokes were so stupid. Like Stormbreaker being jealous of Mjolnir. Doing it once it's meh, but three times?
4) Zeus acting so silly. I think it was somehow acceptable until he stepped down to talk to Thor making a dance like having a tutu.
5) Korg's boyfriend? Really?! Completely unnecessary and had absolutely nothing to do with anything. I would have preferred if they gave Lady Siff a bigger part and have Valkyrie crushing on her or something like that. Or maybe even her crushing on Jane to make like a platonic love triangle (in her mind).
6) Yet another disposable villain. Marvel is making so much effort crossing over characters between different movies and series, but they don't care about the villains at all. Many villains should also appear in other movies. Loki is really the only one that has lasted since Phase 1.

What I liked:
1) Might Thor! Holy shit! They did her character amazing and Natalie nailed the part. Now I want a Mighty Thor movie.
2) The first 15 minutes or so with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Thor is amazing being silly and funny, but knowing when to get serious. Too bad they went too far with the silly part for this movie. They need to learn to balance it.
3) As I said, the action scenes. Didn't expect having the Mjolnir broken would play out as a win and having her attack with the pieces individually. The battle in the black and white planet and the final battle with the kids. Awesome.
4) This is a long term liking, but I believe this new saga (I imagine Phase 4 5 and 6, maybe even 7) will be more fun to binge watch in the future, once we know how all plays out, than the Infinity Saga (since really the best movie in that saga is Infinity War).

Last edited:

RCU005

Just go with your face mask and choose a time when there are fewer people. I do it like this and haven't had an issue. If your theater is following COVID guidelines it should be safe.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Also, is Knull is referenced or at least hinted at in this movie? I'm pretty sure that in the comics the Necrosword belongs to or is even a part of Knull of the Living Abyss.

Anyone psyching themselves up for Knull are and were always going to be disappointing themselves. Knull is Spider-Man related and is not not mentioned in this film and won't be related to the MCU.

Tieno

It was too silly for me, making me not care for much of what was going on. Like Dr Strange, too much stuff going on, going way too fast. Gor felt butchered.

Darkmakaimura

Anyone psyching themselves up for Knull are and were always going to be disappointing themselves. Knull is Spider-Man related and is not not mentioned in this film and won't be related to the MCU.
It's possible they could rename him or do what they did with Shuma-Gorath?

It is possible nothing creature in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was supposed to be Shuma Gorath and not Gargantos.

Although, on the other hand, I 100% understand that it wouldn't make sense even if it were Shuma-Gorath without the name because Shuma-Gorath was basically a god-like being with powers that equal or even rival Doctor Strange. And that thing was pretty weak to be honest and nowhere near anything like Shuma-Gorath on any scale.

Shuma-Gorath was basically the equivalent of an Great Old One or even Outer god of the Lovecraft mythos in the comic books.

So, for all intent purposes, that thing we saw in the movie with just a minion or minor demon type thing.

You know, what would the equivalent of that ribboned creature or demon from the beginning of the movie be? I don't recall it from the comics.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Now sol_bad sol_bad don't get me riled up or I won't get you your fabulous Doctor Strange shirt for Hanukkah!

at least I recall you as being one of the Tribe unless I'm wrong in which case I apologize.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I liked it!

The comedy bits and the emotional bits were strong enough on their own to hold up, despite getting in each others' ways from time to time. Stormbreaker Mjolnir jealousy relationship was hilarious.

Eternity looks like Galactus.

Star-Lord

I wasn't overly impressed, but it was still a decent film. It did little to advance the overall story in the MCU, but it works as a standalone film.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I mean, they ain't wrong. It seems Marvel have let things go downhill with everything post-Endgame. The only fairly decent film that stands out, if only a little bit, is Shang-Chi.
Depends on who you ask I guess because I have been having just as much fun with the post Endgame MCU as I did with the before. The only exception to that is the latest Ms. Marvel show which is clearly just not aimed at my audience.

Everything else has bee ranging from good to great for me.

Just got out of an IMAX showing. Fuck the critics, they've lost their damn minds. This was a fantastic, hilarious, action packed rollercoaster. Thor, Jane, Valkyrie, Zeus, Gorr, they were all great.

Nearly the entire audience (theater was sold out) stayed until the end credits. Worth the wait by the way. Great vibe at my showing.

Ragnarok undercut lots of serious moments in favor of comedy, and this one improved on that by letting the serious moments play out. The comedy had its place, and so did the actual plot.

8/10 for me.

Depends on who you ask I guess because I have been having just as much fun with the post Endgame MCU as I did with the before. The only exception to that is the latest Ms. Marvel show which is clearly just not aimed at my audience.

Everything else has bee ranging from good to great for me.

Agreed. I feel like there's a trend going on where some people are criticising and nitpicking the crap out of these movies now, usually along the lines of 'The MCU is now woke, SJW, feminist garbage' and 'this movie was utter trash'. There seems to be no nuance left anymore. Either that or they hype themselves up so much that it could never live up to their expectations.

When Multiverse Of Madness came out, after months of people speculating we were getting every cameo under the sun (Xmen, Deadpool, Spiderman, Fantastic 4, Tom Cruise Iron Man, etc), people were calling it 'garbage' and 'trash', so I went in with lowered expectations. When it came out, I ended up enjoying it so much that I ended up seeing it three times in IMAX. Same thing with Love And Thunder. The internet seems to hate it, so I went in with lowered expectations, and I again ended up loving it. In fact I have a second reservation ready for sunday. Both were some of the most fun I've had in a movie theater audience-wise, alongside No Way Home, Infinity War and Endgame.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these MCU movies are perfect, far from it. In fact I would say something like Eternals was legitimately a bad movie, and so were the last Jurassic World and Mobius, for example. So sure, both MoM and L&T could have been slightly longer, fixed some pacing issues, etc, but to call them trash or garbage? Man people just seem to have a hate boner for everything now.

Last edited:

mxbison

Everyone loved Spider-Man: No Way Home and I thought it was complete dog shit. So maybe people not liking this one is a good sign for me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Agreed. I feel like there's a trend going on where some people are criticising and nitpicking the crap out of these movies now, usually along the lines of 'The MCU is now woke, SJW, feminist garbage' and 'this movie was utter trash'. There seems to be no nuance left anymore. Either that or they hype themselves up so much that it could never live up to their expectations.

I've been warning about this mentality from the start. The "culture war" game requires players on both sides, both absolutely certain of their own rightfulness. After awhile it reaches a point where the question of who started the game becomes moot, because its being kept going by the bloody-mindedness of everyone involved.

Last edited:

sol_bad

One thing I can agree with is I wish the run time was longer. It does feel like Valkyrie's and Korg's side stories were cut short in the editing stage, would have been nice to their stories expanded. But who knows what an extended version would be like, it might mess with the pacing.

And when it comes to MCU threads, you can basically play bingo these days. Some of the entries being "woke" and "doesn't push the MCU narrative forward".

I don't get the phase 4 has gone down hill comments. Remove the top tier entries of Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame from phase 3 and I don't think there is much quality difference between phase 3 and 4.

Phase 3:
Doctor Strange
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panter
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Spider-Man: Far From Home

Phase 4:
Black Widow
Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Eternals
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness
Thor: Love and Thunder
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Guardians of the Galaxy 3
The Marvels

Apart from Eternals, everything else has been well received in general. No Way Home is the one top tier movie so far. Who knows what the next 4 films will bring.
I'm excited.

Top Bottom