• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Love and Thunder ⚡ impressions thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Saw it last night. I give it a 6. I wish they would have dialed back the jokes because I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it hit a better tone balance. I agree with a lot of the Youtube reviews in that it came across as a spoof of itself.

GymWolf

Everyone loved Spider-Man: No Way Home and I thought it was complete dog shit. So maybe people not liking this one is a good sign for me.
Everyone loved that piece of dry horse crap?? Since when?

Every dude i know in real life was puking their eyes out during the vision...

Edit: my bad, i was thinking about the first movie.

Last edited:

Jaybe

For those that have watched this, is it likely to upset someone who has recently (a year ago) been through cancer treatment (radiation,not chemo)? Just curious, as a female family member I know in this position has some interest in seeing the movie. I understand Jane has it in this. Thanks in advance.

GymWolf

Edit: i was thinking about the first movie, not the latest one, my bad.

Althought since i fucking hated the first 2, no reason to think that the third one is any better except for molina apparison.

Last edited:
One thing I can agree with is I wish the run time was longer. It does feel like Valkyrie's and Korg's side stories were cut short in the editing stage, would have been nice to their stories expanded. But who knows what an extended version would be like, it might mess with the pacing.

And when it comes to MCU threads, you can basically play bingo these days. Some of the entries being "woke" and "doesn't push the MCU narrative forward".

I don't get the phase 4 has gone down hill comments. Remove the top tier entries of Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame from phase 3 and I don't think there is much quality difference between phase 3 and 4.

Phase 3:
Doctor Strange
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panter
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Spider-Man: Far From Home

Phase 4:
Black Widow
Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Eternals
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness
Thor: Love and Thunder
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Guardians of the Galaxy 3
The Marvels

Apart from Eternals, everything else has been well received in general. No Way Home is the one top tier movie so far. Who knows what the next 4 films will bring.
I'm excited.
I'm excited for all but The Marvels. I fuckin' hate Captain Marvel, unless they can fix her personality, I can't see anything good there. Rumor (a very loose and sketchy one at that, so much salt.) has it Wolverine may make an appearance there.

Last edited:
I mean, they ain't wrong. It seems Marvel have let things go downhill with everything post-Endgame. The only fairly decent film that stands out, if only a little bit, is Shang-Chi.
Well I'm in the minority that didn't enjoy Shang-Chi. It was Bore-Chi for me.

skneogaf

Very funny, some good action, interesting bad guy but more forced woke stuff and another reminder that the mcu will keep on getting worse.

The infinity saga was amazing with hardly any bad movies, we definitely won't say the same thing when this woke saga is over.

Even the guardians of the galaxy looked off in this movie.

ManaByte

Gold Member
My favorite Thor storyline.
My favorite Avenger
My favorite MCU soundtrack.

Might be my favorite MCU movie.
Chris Hemsworth Thor GIF by Marvel Studios

I was real worried about compressing the Aaron run into just 2 hours, but they nailed the core of it. But I think having Aaron as a consultant on it solved any of those concerns.

The movie is practically a GnR musical.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Oh shit, the new movie theater that opens pretty close to me has Thor: Love and Thunder in the DBox!

Darkmakaimura

It really fucking sucks that I have no friends around anymore that I can talk to face to face and go see this movie with..

I'm legitimately so excited about hearing about this Thor movie being in 4Dx/Dbox or whatever it's called and nobody has any interest that I know.

I haven't been out of this house in almost 2 years since I've been caregiving and friends either ignore me now or just left the state altogether.

Right now I'm schilling as high as sol_bad sol_bad or ManaByte ManaByte (who I would actually both see this movie with if they lived here and invited me out) just because the film looks incredibly fun and I can imagine it is even more so with all the motion and other effects. I just saw a scene with a bunch of aliens on what look like Star Wars hover bikes and I want to experience that in the DBox.

But there's nobody left here and it's just depressing as fuck.

Last edited:
One thing I can agree with is I wish the run time was longer. It does feel like Valkyrie's and Korg's side stories were cut short in the editing stage, would have been nice to their stories expanded. But who knows what an extended version would be like, it might mess with the pacing.

And when it comes to MCU threads, you can basically play bingo these days. Some of the entries being "woke" and "doesn't push the MCU narrative forward".

I don't get the phase 4 has gone down hill comments. Remove the top tier entries of Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame from phase 3 and I don't think there is much quality difference between phase 3 and 4.

Phase 3:
Doctor Strange
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panter
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Spider-Man: Far From Home

Phase 4:
Black Widow
Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Eternals
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness
Thor: Love and Thunder
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Guardians of the Galaxy 3
The Marvels

Apart from Eternals, everything else has been well received in general. No Way Home is the one top tier movie so far. Who knows what the next 4 films will bring.
I'm excited.
Well received by MCU fans no doubt.

Toons

This movie was a great time.

Had a lot of goofiness but a lot of heart behind it. Taikas films have this 80s action movie appeal to them. They are straightforward and to the point but there's a ton of fun and good spirited nature to them.

Toons

Very funny, some good action, interesting bad guy but more forced woke stuff and another reminder that the mcu will keep on getting worse.

The infinity saga was amazing with hardly any bad movies, we definitely won't say the same thing when this woke saga is over.

Even the guardians of the galaxy looked off in this movie.

There was absolutely nothing woke about this movie lol.

sol_bad

I'm excited for all but The Marvels. I fuckin' hate Captain Marvel, unless they can fix her personality, I can't see anything good there. Rumor (a very loose and sketchy one at that, so much salt.) has it Wolverine may make an appearance there.

I think people should know by now not to trust any mutant related rumours.

Well received by MCU fans no doubt.

You don't make nearly a billion or over a billion based on just hardcore MCU fans. Because I tell you what, there sure as shit aren't enough hard-core Top Gun fans for Maverick to make a billion.

Darkmakaimura

The M-C-U it's starting to draw me back in a little bit after Multiverse of Madness.

And after seeing a leaked clip of some aliens on hoverbikes in the new Thor movie and thinking how well that will translate to motion magic DBox and 4DX I feel like I can jump back in a bit.

I think one of these 4dx movies could actually change my whole outlook and make me start loving movies again. I'm serious. I don't know because I've never done it before but I have been on IMAX motion rides and thoroughly enjoyed those.

Plus, all the CGI does look bad, it seems like an intentionally looking bad so it looks kind of like a cartoon. I can understand the aesthetics to a degree.

I was quite serious that if sol_bad sol_bad and ManaByte ManaByte lived in my city and invited me out with them to a 4dx or D-box showing, I would go.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Maybe my taste has changed a bit but Ragnarok is one of my favourite MCU movies and this felt a bit too goofy. Jokes weren't all that great either. Just too much.

Bale isn't a good fit here for what Taika is doing. So serious and dark and then you got this goofy shit. Too disjointed.

Not sure what else is coming down but I need a marvel break maybe. Far from home was the last thing I liked. Dr strange and this are a miss for me.

I think people should know by now not to trust any mutant related rumours.

You don't make nearly a billion or over a billion based on just hardcore MCU fans. Because I tell you what, there sure as shit aren't enough hard-core Top Gun fans for Maverick to make a billion.
There’s a difference between being well received and grossing lots of money at the boxoffice. But TG: Maverick is a good movie, which is why it grossed so much. Dr Strange on the other hand relied on the MCU name.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Since there are people in this thread who aren’t actually watching the movie and will see the deadnaming Tweets and assume it’s referring to something woke in the movie, it’s not.

Heimdall’s son is in the movie. His name is Astrid, but he wants to go by Axl after Axl Rose. Thor won’t call him Astrid at first.

iorek21

Bale was the highlight of this film, the best performance and one of my favorite MCU villains easily.

My gripes with the movie: too much humor, sometimes I just wished the film took itself a little more seriously, specially during the cancer stuff.
The lack of more Guardians was disappointing.

sol_bad

There’s a difference between being well received and grossing lots of money at the boxoffice. But TG: Maverick is a good movie, which is why it grossed so much. Dr Strange on the other hand relied on the MCU name.

And again, you don't make a billion dollars if audiences don't think you are making good movies.

The TF movies show this. The first 3 TF movies had increasing box office numbers, the 4th movie was slightly more than the 3rd movie, then the 5th movies box office cratered. And then unfortunately Bumblebee suffered even more.

The opposite with the MCU is happening.

Homecoming > Far From Home > No Way Home
Doctor Strange > Multiverse of Madness

And Thor 4 might possibly make more than Thor 3.

skneogaf

There was absolutely nothing woke about this movie lol.

Why did it need to tell us about corgs two dads then show that he has a boyfriend, non of that information is useful or interesting and just ticks today's movie check boxes.

Also why is valkyrie a king and a lesbian, seems woke to me and as per usual forced and unnecessary.

Imagine being forced to hear that Mac or Blaine have boyfriends in predator or the old lady in running man that chooses Ben Richards to get the next kill identities as non gender?

Completely unnecessary forced bits of information.

Last edited:
Hum...I felt like this movie was a parody?
The comedy kept clashing with the more serious nature of some of these themes.
I never felt they were in any danger...
And not them bringing that character again just to die.

Honestly this phase has been such a mess. I truly think the Eternals was the only actual different thing they gave us so far.

The fact the best phase 4 movie so far was the Sony movie says alot to me. Seriously... starting from Black Widow to this has been messy.

I also think so many movies and TV shows is starting to have a negative effect for the MCU.

This is all over the place

mcjmetroid

I haven't seen it yet and am going to ignore most spoiler comments but can you recommend the movie purely as a comedy? I loved the first one and I found it hilarious and don't take the MCU seriously.

Ragnarok felt like tonal whiplash in comparison to the first two Thor movies, but the script was relatively solid and resulted in an entertaining movie regardless. Love & Thunder, on the other hand, is a complete tonal mess from beginning to the end, and I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a fan of Waititi's Disney-ified comedy. His other work is much more clever and risque, while the gags and jokes in this just make me feel like I'm watching a movie designed for the world of Idiocracy, because the screaming goats are on the same comedic level of "Ow my balls".

4/10

Also, I'm going to need someone to make a "someone gets literally stabbed in the back while teammates look on in horror, only for that person to be fine in the end" MCU supercut. Lazy screenwriters are lazy.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I haven't seen it yet and am going to ignore most spoiler comments but can you recommend the movie purely as a comedy? I loved the first one and I found it hilarious and don't take the MCU seriously.
Ragnarok wasn’t really a Thor movie. It was “how to we get Thor and Loki in space to run into Thanos?” This is an adaptation of Jason Aaron’s God Butcher/Mighty Thor storyline set to a Guns N Roses soundtrack.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why did it need to tell us about corgs two dads then show that he has a boyfriend, non if that information is useful or interesting and just ticks today's movies tick boxes.
Funny how we don’t see this complaint about Bortus on the Orville.

gow3isben

Saw it and loved it. Funniest Marvel movie so far top 10 MCU overall. Enjoyed Natalie Portman’s performance.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Actually enjoyed Thor the goats give you goosebumps, Zeus, the other world. As long as Thor is a marvel draw it’s an absolutely draw to the theater.

Top Bottom