• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Part Two - Review Thread

jason10mm

Gold Member
Holy crap, how did this slip past my lego radar????

u0WE9MB.jpg

Ulysses 31

I used to have a vhs of the extended DC of lynchs dune (extended intro, harvesting the water of life, etc). Wonder if that is on blue ray anywhere or maybe that's this spicediver edit.

Anyway, if that is still around, I highly recommend it.
But you won't recommend the sci fi channel Dune from 2000? :lollipop_confounded:

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I've talked up that show all over this thread. I have those blurays, just not sure about DC Dune 1984.
Technically it's not a director's cut since Lynch wanted nothing to do with it and had his name removed from the extended version(changed to Alan Smithee). :messenger_winking_tongue:

violence

I saw this again. Except I watched the first one before hand. Some people may not like the slower pace of the first one, but I kind of watch it for that. Christopher Walken kind of blended in this time much like Batista does with the make up. Part two has a really terrific finale. Will need to watch it more to see if I prefer it over the first.

Esca

Holy crap, how did this slip past my lego radar????

u0WE9MB.jpg

I'm halfway through building mine so far. First Lego set since I was a kid and I'm really enjoying it. I've forgotten what it was like to build with Legos.
Probably going to pick up this light kit for it once I'm done building it.

I'm really impressed with Lego on their instructions and how simple they made putting this hopter together so far. I think I'll end up getting the tallneck from horizon neck, has a nice elegant look and the light kit looks really nice on that one as well.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Dune Messiah adaptation at this point is a given, it gives closure to Paul Atreides story. Rest of the books that delve into the fate of Humanity thousands of years into the future, while great in writing, don't seem to be movie friendly. Maybe a TV Miniseries.
Children of Dune tho

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
And using the family atomics isn't in the book and was poor decision.
I read the books a long time ago, but they did use the atomics in the books too. Just not the same target if I remember right. I can understand that choice in the film as they can't explain why the Dune universe have so many taboos so the change seems logical, even if it may be in bad taste for some people. I will need to read the books again, but first I have to go see it again the film was amazing!

Nvzman

Instead of all the cool scifi creativity, lore, worldbuilding, and weirdness, we get Chani making a pouty face and trying to interrupt every time the narrative is advancing. As though she entered from outside the story in order to crash it—because she basically did, since those scenes are invented.
Zendaya is such a crap actress, I have no idea how she's as popular as she is. She is so offensively awful in this movie compared to everyone else's great acting it borderline makes want to actively root against her character.

Every scene she looks like she just smelled a bad fart, and she looks like that in everything I've ever seen her in.

I read the books a long time ago, but they did use the atomics in the books too. Just not the same target if I remember right. I can understand that choice in the film as they can't explain why the Dune universe have so many taboos so the change seems logical, even if it may be in bad taste for some people. I will need to read the books again, but first I have to go see it again the film was amazing!
He uses the family atomics in Dune Messiah so they just pulled that forward a bit. Not like he used all of them either in the movie, so there's plenty left over for the next movie!

LimanimaPT

I went to see this on IMAX. First time ever on an IMAX theater and... Is this some kind of hoax? I paid double the price and I hated it. I was at the middle of the theater and I was very close to the screen. I can't imagine how it is to watch movies in the first rows. The screen is literally 3 meters away. Believe it or not I had heads blocking the bottom of the screen.
The subtitles were gigantnormous, but why!?
The screen format was almost 4:3 wtf?
I couldn't tell the difference between the imagine quality from this and a normal laser projected movie.
I like loud sound in cinemas but the sound on this one was just to much.
The only nice thing was the trembling on the chairs, that was great. Not sure if there's some mechanism on the chairs or was just the loud sound that made them tremble.
As for the movie, it was kind of meh. I loved the first one, this one not so much. Is there going to be a third part?

Went to see it yesterday.

Absolutely blown away by it. Wifey went with me and she doesn't even give a fuck about sci-fi movies but she really enjoyed it.

Man... what a ride. Just amazing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's a good thing I didn't watch the trailers for this movie because they always spoil the good parts. I blame Castaway.

Tams

He uses the family atomics in Dune Messiah so they just pulled that forward a bit. Not like he used all of them either in the movie, so there's plenty left over for the next movie!

They messed up the timeline too much.

Alia

is pretty much the super weapon for the Paul in Dune. In this film she's not even born yet and I don't trust them to be able to adapt the story to make this work well.

Tams

Atomics were used to destroy the Shield Wall in the book too.

My bad, They do indeed. It's been a while since I've read the books.

I'm still not happy with the major changes to Alia, and Paul and Chani.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
My bad, They do indeed. It's been a while since I've read the books.

I'm still not happy with the major changes to Alia, and Paul and Chani.
Before posting I googled it to be sure, but I let it pass because I read the books like 20 years ago. I don't mind the changes that much because after the first film I found out that I see it like a condensed version of the story. In other words, it could have been so much worse that I am really happy that we got something not that far away, and some quotes are from the books, like Paul saying that when you can destroy something you control that thing. As a kid I loved that he choose the rat as a nickname, and it make me love stillgar for his reaction to it. I really have to read the books again, and this time I can read then in english...

Zendaya is such a crap actress, I have no idea how she's as popular as she is. She is so offensively awful in this movie compared to everyone else's great acting it borderline makes want to actively root against her character.

Every scene she looks like she just smelled a bad fart, and she looks like that in everything I've ever seen her in.

Yeah man she's fecking awful in this when everyone else is good to great. I'd rather Elle Fanning or someone with actual talent.

Also YES at the bolded :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Rebecca Ferguson is the best thing to come out of Hollywood in years, and I’m wondering how they are going to fuck her up for it.
I've only seen her in the Dunes and Dr Sleep, but she was great in both. I wish she was in this more, because she was for sure one of the best parts. All of her scenes are dope.

Lea Seydoux was great in this too for the brief time she's there.

Atrus

Gold Member
I just finished watching it and like it a lot better now that I know that there’s a Part 3. I was originally very confused by Chani acting against the narrative flow and the film closing out on her face.

I felt the film in the last 30-45 minutes moved too quickly without the time jump that saw Alia born and the Freemen coupling the Weirding Way with their religious zealotry. To me, the Fremen as a believable galactic army came at the expense of the Sardukar jobbing so easily.

That being said Denis Villeneuve’s imagery was excellent and worth going to see it in theatres on its own.

HoodWinked

glad i rewatched part1 before going to see part2. the story really flows if you watch them together.

one thing that stands out is just how good the visual design is, other films have loads of special effects shots but they look like CG slop. In these films they do an incredible job using scale and composition that it looks like they're actually doing the thing, even absurdities like worm riding or dragonfly helicopters look believable.

I started reading the OG novel again because I felt like it. I originally read it when I was a kid so I basically don't remember almost all of it, it's quite literally been decades.

As I've gone through it, I've been consistently impressed with how much they have kept the same either in fact or in spirit going from novel to movies. Denis Villeneuve has said he's a big fan of the books and you can see his love for them on the screen.

To be perfectly honest, the book version of Paul is portrayed perfectly fine by Timothée Chalamet, I have no issues. He's not a great actor with a tremendous range but Paul is always very emotionally controlled anyways so a wooden performance actually suits his big screen portrayals. However I will say that book version Chani has almost nothing to do with whatever Zendaya was doing on the screen. Her version of Chani is kind of shit quite frankly and I wonder if anyone actually made her read the book before she started shooting. Rebecca Ferguson did a fantastic job as Jessica, she clearly knew what she was doing as far as the book version is concerned.

Jsisto

I started reading the OG novel again because I felt like it. I originally read it when I was a kid so I basically don't remember almost all of it, it's quite literally been decades.

As I've gone through it, I've been consistently impressed with how much they have kept the same either in fact or in spirit going from novel to movies. Denis Villeneuve has said he's a big fan of the books and you can see his love for them on the screen.

To be perfectly honest, the book version of Paul is portrayed perfectly fine by Timothée Chalamet, I have no issues. He's not a great actor with a tremendous range but Paul is always very emotionally controlled anyways so a wooden performance actually suits his big screen portrayals. However I will say that book version Chani has almost nothing to do with whatever Zendaya was doing on the screen. Her version of Chani is kind of shit quite frankly and I wonder if anyone actually made her read the book before she started shooting. Rebecca Ferguson did a fantastic job as Jessica, she clearly knew what she was doing as far as the book version is concerned.
Movie Chani may as well be an entirely different character as far as I’m concerned. Practically nothing in common with book Chani aside from being Paul’s love interest. Really the only complaint I have with the movie, honestly. From what I’ve seen, people new to Dune loved her performance while fans are just confused.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Went twice with my daughter to see it in Imax. We loved it. Amazingly crafted film.

Has anyone seen it in 4DX? How was that experience? I’m curious if I should go a 3rd time.

StueyDuck

jesus what a fucking movie (i have a softspot for the franchise in general, it was always what i'd yell at star wars people to read to understand good sci-fi epics, at least the first 2 books, we won't talk about the last few that go seriously off the rails)

but seriously, what an experience, doing yourself a disservice to not see this on the big screen

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
From what I’ve seen, people new to Dune loved her performance while fans are just confused.

As a non-book reader, I thought her portrayal of the character was good and that her role helped to intensify the theme of prophecy vs purposeful manipulation. I might change my mind when I read the novels.

As a person who has had many IRL discussions with religious people that the prophecies in the Bible aren't that impressive to me because they're vague and you can't eliminate the possibility that a group of people working towards fulfilling said prophecy over 2000 years will just do it on their own accord, it resonated with me like the vibrations of Shai-Hulud in sand.

jason10mm

Gold Member
As a non-book reader, I thought her portrayal of the character was good and that her role helped to intensify the theme of prophecy vs purposeful manipulation. I might change my mind when I read the novels.

As a person who has had many IRL discussions with religious people that the prophecies in the Bible aren't that impressive to me because they're vague and you can't eliminate the possibility that a group of people working towards fulfilling said prophecy over 2000 years will just do it on their own accord, it resonated with me like the vibrations of Shai-Hulud in sand.
See, the problem with this analogy is that Paul IS seeing the future. He is the real deal and that is pretty obvious early on. So doubting him is basically like being a flat earther. It makes Chani seem petty and small, when she should be great. You gotta approach Dune from the perspective that paul's 'mirales' are real, just like how a disciple viewed Jesus and died for it.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... You gotta approach Dune from the perspective that paul's 'mirales' are real...
Pretty much. A lot of what makes Dune such an interesting world is the pseudo-science that exists behind it's seemingly supernatural elements. The Voice is a trained technique to produce a spoken instruction in such a way that the brain overrides oneself and obeys. Paul's "visions" are the results of his genetic-engineering, training, and spice to accurately calculate the future given the data around him. Paul really is the Freman's messiah, because the Freman's messiah was just a plant from the BGs, the end result of their breeding program - which is ultimately Paul.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
See, the problem with this analogy is that Paul IS seeing the future. He is the real deal and that is pretty obvious early on. So doubting him is basically like being a flat earther. It makes Chani seem petty and small, when she should be great. You gotta approach Dune from the perspective that paul's 'mirales' are real, just like how a disciple viewed Jesus and died for it.

Not everything he sees in his visions comes true, like Jamis killing him in the duel. He also says that he sees many possible futures, so there is still agency in the actions of the characters. It is also a fact that the Bene Gesserit have been planting prophecies and manipulating the populace for centuries, and Paul and Jessica know that for a fact. They use their agency to choose to wield that power for their own.

I'm just going off of what's in the movies so far, as far as I can understand it from my single viewings of both movies. I could have missed something, or the book could have a different take.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You gotta approach Dune from the perspective that paul's 'mirales' are real, just like how a disciple viewed Jesus and died for it.

Let me expand on this point too, because in my analysis of this, I am. That is to say, within the context of putting "miracles" in quotes. The fact that they happen are in fact "real", yes. However, they are merely the result of thousands of years of manipulation and planning, which is much different than an actual prophecy, and the implications of what a "real" prophecy should be. Movie Chani sees through the charade.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Pretty much. A lot of what makes Dune such an interesting world is the pseudo-science that exists behind it's seemingly supernatural elements. The Voice is a trained technique to produce a spoken instruction in such a way that the brain overrides oneself and obeys. Paul's "visions" are the results of his genetic-engineering, training, and spice to accurately calculate the future given the data around him. Paul really is the Freman's messiah, because the Freman's messiah was just a plant from the BGs, the end result of their breeding program - which is ultimately Paul.

Yes, which makes it a plan, not a prophecy, which is my point.

If I prophesize that I'm going to own a PS5, then I buy one from Best Buy, the fact that the "prophecy" came true isn't anything special and shouldn't carry more weight than the face value of the action itself. Anyone believing that the owning of a PS5 is supernatural in nature or an act of God is succumbing to self-deception, which can be used as a manipulative tool by third parties with an agenda.

ZehDon

Gold Member
If I prophesize that I'm going to own a PS5, then I buy one from Best Buy, the fact that the "prophecy" came true isn't anything special and shouldn't carry more weight than the face value of the action itself...
Maybe I didn't phrase that correctly. In Dune, the BG lied to the Freman and many other civilisations across thousands of years to create new religions, all awaiting their own messiahs, all of which point to the BG's KH. This was to form a type of control, that once the BG's KH arrives, they'll instantly control literally trillions of people for the BG's designs: order across the universe.
To continue the analogy, if your ancestors from 10,000 years ago pretended to be religious figures and told Cavemen "In 10,000 years, a magical device called a PS5 will arrive, and it will solve all of your problems", the Cavemen might keep that as their religion and prophecy. Then, you follow your ancestor's grand plan and eventually deliver the PS5 when the technology arrives 10,000 after they started the plan, then you're fulfilling the prophecy that the Cavemen believed. That's what the BG did.
... which can be used as a manipulative tool by third parties with an agenda.
And that is literally the whole point of Paul's story: belief, religion, and messianic figures can be dangerous because they can used to control people.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Maybe I didn't phrase that correctly. In Dune, the BG lied to the Freman and many other civilisations across thousands of years to create new religions, all awaiting their own messiahs, all of which point to the BG's KH. This was to form a type of control, that once the BG's KH arrives, they'll instantly control literally trillions of people for the BG's designs: order across the universe.
To continue the analogy, if your ancestors from 10,000 years ago pretended to be religious figures and told Cavemen "In 10,000 years, a magical device called a PS5 will arrive, and it will solve all of your problems", the Cavemen might keep that as their religion and prophecy. Then, you follow your ancestor's grand plan and eventually deliver the PS5 when the technology arrives 10,000 after they started the plan, then you're fulfilling the prophecy that the Cavemen believed. That's what the BG did.

These two scenarios are functionally the same thing. A plan, concocted by people, and fulfilled by people working towards that goal, not from any divine or supernatural hand. The only meaningful difference is time scale.

And that is literally the whole point of Paul's story: belief, religion, and messianic figures can be dangerous because they can used to control people.

So . . . you agree with me then? Because that was the point of my original post about this topic. As a non-book reader, I didn't have any negative reaction to Chani's character changes, whatever they may have been, because she represents the side of the argument that recognizes that danger and the bullshit origin of Paul's story.

Rentahamster Rentahamster Your entire argument is kind of meaningless because you haven't read the books and don't know that Chani believed in the prophecy completely and absolutely and would have followed Paul straight to hell if necessary to remain at his side for eternity. The movie completely invented this doubting version of Chani which doesn't exist in the books and honestly I have no idea after the ending of Dune Part 2 what they are going to do with Chani in Dune Messiah to even pretend there can be continuity from that ending to the events of the second Dune novel

Top Bottom