• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mission impossible : Dead Reckoning Part. 1 | Review thread

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This summer's blockbuster!

1491_1_2.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes | Metacritic

image.png
image.png
image.png

The Guardian:
"In the past I have been agnostic and a nay-sayer about M:I, but the pure fun involved in this film, its silly-serious alchemy, and the way the franchise seems to strain at something crazily bigger with every film, as opposed to just winding down, is something to wonder at."

IGN:
"If every tentpole franchise entry were this fun and finely tuned, the theatrical-versus-streaming debate would be immediately put to rest.
Ethan Hunt may fight to save the world, but Dead Reckoning Part One plays like Tom Cruise’s fight to save the summer blockbuster through entertainment on an enormous scale."

TheWrap:
"With jaw-dropping set pieces and a pulsating sound design, director Christopher McQuarrie delivers one of this summer’s best theatrical events"

Variety:
"Combining breaking-news intrigue with ever-crazier practical set-pieces, Tom Cruise and director Christopher McQuarrie keep this almost-three-decade franchise feeling cutting-edge."

CBM:
"Tom Cruise delivers yet another action movie masterpiece, packed with jaw-dropping spectacle, pulse-pounding action, heartfelt emotion, awe-inspiring performances, and an exhilarating chemistry opposite new leading lady Hayley Atwell that’ll have you begging for more."

Collider:
"Dead Reckoning Part One is plenty of fun, and one of the best action films of the summer by far, but coming five years after Fallout, it’s hard for this seventh film to not feel like a bit of a disappointment."

Deadline:
"This is a serious, sharp-minded and top-tier action film by any standard, and many fans will no doubt mollify themselves by seeing it more than once before Part Two opens a year from now. This is Hollywood action filmmaking at its peak."

The Verge
"For all the groundwork it’s laying for the franchise’s future, Dead Reckoning assumes that it can play to its core audience by rehashing beats from previous films and jazzing them up with a heavy pour of meta humor meant to make you feel in on the joke of it all.
But while that approach might work for folks who’ve been faithfully following Ethan Hunt’s adventures for the past 27 years, it could be a tough sell for newcomers"

PluggedIn
"Give props to Tom Cruise and the real-world team behind the Mission: Impossible movies. Built on Cruise’s considerable charisma, stunning set pieces and breathtaking real-world stunts, the MI movies represent this era’s gold standard in action movies."

CriticalPopCorn
"Dead Reckoning isn’t as efficient or focused as other entries in the series, but its strengths lie in the sheer scale and spectacle of the action sequences. It might feel overstuffed in places, but the pace never lags, and the characterisation is much deeper than it needs to be."

Last edited:

Puscifer

There was no doubt this will be excellent. Wonder if I should watch it on IMAX.
Same if I can find one up here. I saw fallout on an absolute whim because I just wanted to get out the house and wasn't expecting to see one of the greatest action movies of all time. I'm all in for this!

Last edited:

Billbofet

I seriously fucking hate youtube thumbnails when it comes to film reviews.

What kind of face is that Grace? Are you passing a kidney stone? Did you stub your toe?

And if it's a bad review they made a sad face, because bad movies make youtube reviewers cry apparently.
Is there a reason why this Grace has a following or people watch her videos?

Honestly curious as I have no idea. She comes up in my feed often, and the few times I have watched her vids, they are annoying and I get zero value from them.
Was she an industry insider at some point?

I used to think I would get irritated with Jeremy Jahns, but he and Chris Stuckman are my go-to reviewers.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member

Honestly curious as I have no idea. She comes up in my feed often, and the few times I have watched her vids, they are annoying and I get zero value from them.

I used to think I would get irritated with Jeremy Jahns, but he and Chris Stuckman are my go-to reviewers.
I find the vast majority of film reviewers on youtube to be total shit, both in their presentation style to the content itself. I think that most of them are nowhere near as cinematically literate as they think they are.

In the last five years, I just stopped watching/listening to reviews or even reading reviews and stopped watching trailers. I just go into a film knowing as little as possible about it beforehand and I found my enjoyment of films has really increased. I will check out reviews after I've seen a film but never beforehand.

I could ask the same thing about Chris Stuckman - such a bore and his opinion is always the same as the average critic. For example, if the movie is rotten, he will review the movie as bad. If its fresh, he will review it as good.

AmuroChan

She used to be a comics writer. She's worked on Justice League and X-Men in the past. She's also worked as an entertainment reporter. She does seem to have some legit sources within the industry. To what degree I don't know.

Billbofet

She used to be a comics writer. She's worked on Justice League and X-Men in the past. She's also worked as an entertainment reporter. She does seem to have some legit sources within the industry. To what degree I don't know.
Ahh, makes sense. Thanks

INC

mission impossible is by far the most consistent franchise, in history, with MI:II being the only really hiccup in the franchise {franchise being over 3 films)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The only thing keeping Ving Rames employed.

It's the only thing that makes Ving Rames use his legs and walk every once in a while. The guy looks like he'd get an heart attack on the spot if he were told to run or jump in front of a camera.

Batiman

Banned
mission impossible is by far the most consistent franchise, in history, with MI:II being the only really hiccup in the franchise {franchise being over 3 films)
I’d say it’s one franchise that gets better and better with each instalment. Besides the second one though

I’d rank them 2,1,3,4,5,6

I loved the first one but i just don’t enjoy it as much as the others. Especially on rewatches.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I havent watched all of Cruise's movies, but it seems every one I watch is good. Even the sex comedy Losin It was pretty fun (Porky's kind of rip off).

He's got a shitload of movies under his belt. I dont think too many are bad. Great track record.

AmuroChan

It's the only thing that makes Ving Rames use his legs and walk every once in a while. The guy looks like he'd get an heart attack on the spot if he were told to run or jump in front of a camera.

He's mentioned on an interview that he basically doesn't need to work ever again because of Pulp Fiction. Instead of taking a salary, he opted for 1% residual instead, which includes everything on top of boxoffice (ie. licensing, physical media, streaming, etc). That was the smartest decision of his life.

The first one still is my favorite by a long shot. the last one with Superman didnt like it as much because Tom Cruise aka Ethan Hunt comes across as a Jesus Christ.

AmuroChan

Jackie Chan is one of the only actors that can legit "collect paychecks" in his old age. He is a one of a kind phenom we will likely NEVER see again.

I agree he's one of a kind. I'm a native HK-er. He was our national hero. However, it's also true that the films he's done in the past decade or so have mostly been terrible.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I agree he's one of a kind. I'm a native HK-er. He was our national hero. However, it's also true that the films he's done in the past decade or so have mostly been terrible.
This is how I feel about Arnold Schwarzeneggar since he became governor.

Fortunately both these guys have like 20+ solid ass films I could have on repeat forever and be happy.

Chiggs

I'd take MI: 2 over that crappy one with Paula Patton, or the JJ Abrams turd.

Also MI: 2 is one of the franchise's biggest grossers...being outdone only by the recent ones. Also, inflation, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'd take MI: 2 over that crappy one with Paula Patton, or the JJ Abrams turd.

Also MI: 2 is one of the franchise's biggest grossers...being outdone only by the recent ones. Also, inflation, etc, etc.

You know, I loathe Abrams for what he did to Wars and Trek but I actually enjoyed MI:3. I might be misremembering things, but MI:3 was his least 'Abrams' movie and was better off for it.

Mr Blobby

In the last five years, I just stopped watching/listening to reviews or even reading reviews and stopped watching trailers. I just go into a film knowing as little as possible about it beforehand and I found my enjoyment of films has really increased. I will check out reviews after I've seen a film but never beforehand.
do this exact thing. When trailers are playing in the cinema I go on the phone or close my eyes haha.

To the movie: I couldn't help compare this to the latest Indy and FF and how two are essentially green screens, the other is Tom Friggin Cruise riding a motorbike off a cliff. Yeah cgi was used but Cruise kills it.

AmuroChan

do this exact thing. When trailers are playing in the cinema I go on the phone or close my eyes haha.

To the movie: I couldn't help compare this to the latest Indy and FF and how two are essentially green screens, the other is Tom Friggin Cruise riding a motorbike off a cliff. Yeah cgi was used but Cruise kills it.

Additionally, the CGI is used purely to hide the ramp that he rode the motorcycle off of. The stunt itself is 100% real.

PakiChilli

Banned
I'd give it a 6.8/10
Probably my least favourite MI movie.

Morales wasn't very intimidating as a villain, and thus couldn't buy into it. It didn't help that all his fighting scenes sucked.

The new girl is cool, but her shtick got old after a while.

Mr Blobby

I'd give it a 6.8/10
Probably my least favourite MI movie.

Morales wasn't very intimidating as a villain, and thus couldn't buy into it. It didn't help that all his fighting scenes sucked.

The new girl is cool, but her shtick got old after a while.
I guess not on his own, but because Gabriel has the backing of the AI that can to an extent predict the future. And the fact he just wants to see the world burn (but which psychopathic villain doesn't?), makes him formidable.
I kind of like the subtext of being able to forecast human behaviour and it gives it this element of self fulfilling prophecies, but then some of it just seems convenient e.g. the two ladies meeting Gabriel at the bridge.

PakiChilli

Banned
I guess not on his own, but because Gabriel has the backing of the AI that can to an extent predict the future. And the fact he just wants to see the world burn (but which psychopathic villain doesn't?), makes him formidable.
I kind of like the subtext of being able to forecast human behaviour and it gives it this element of self fulfilling prophecies, but then some of it just seems convenient e.g. the two ladies meeting Gabriel at the bridge.

I'm definitely into the AI concept, but Gabriel is the definition of cliché

The movie really didn’t have to give us a cliched backstory. It doesn't help the dude can't fight to save his life. Either the choreography was very off both times (venice/train) or the dude is bad at selling it.

I will say this, I did like the explanation as to why the AI chose Gabriel.

Regarding Grace. The fact she kept running away, more times than I can count got annoying quickly. So did the key swaps. Okay okay we get it, you're a master thief 👏

Top Bottom