• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Way of Water | Review Thread

jason10mm

Gold Member
Box office tracking for this puts it at around Dr Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness at 175-180 million domestic.

It's unbelievable that this kind of money would probably be considered a low opening amount for this movie.
Given the film length and the reduce number of showings, it is kinda capped compared to sub 2 hour films.

I'm sure they are hoping for the RIDONCULOUS legs like Avatar and Titanic. IIRC both of those films were #1 WEEKS later as other films came and went.

Anything in the pipe that might compete? Aquaman has already fled, right? A2 might hang on to #1 till the DnD film comes along :p

Chiggs

Given the film length and the reduce number of showings, it is kinda capped compared to sub 2 hour films.

I'm sure they are hoping for the RIDONCULOUS legs like Avatar and Titanic. IIRC both of those films were #1 WEEKS later as other films came and went.

Anything in the pipe that might compete? Aquaman has already fled, right? A2 might hang on to #1 till the DnD film comes along :p

It basically has the holiday all to itself. The Whale and Babylon? Might be good films, but they're not going to make a dent in Avatar 2.

Anecdotally:
  • Saw this at a 400-seat AMC theater; 60% full for a 12PM matinee showing.

Last edited:
Well. I'm happy to see a lot of people in this thread loving it. I personally feel crazy because uhhhh I really wasn't feeling this one boys. I hate to be that guy who dissents but man. I love, love, love the first one. I've been hyped for this one since 6th grade when I'd ask my dad if they were going to make a sequel.

Okay well the positives first. The action is pretty good. James has been directing great action for like 30 years and he's gotten pretty good at it. The CGI is amazing as you'd expect. I don't have a lot to say and rave about here, I mean its 99% photorealistic, stands tall above the usual lazy VFX we get in garbage like marvel. You've heard all the praise I could possibly say about it already. And there was one emotional beat near the end where a certain character I won't spoil may or may not have uhh, well lets just say I don't expect to see em in the 3rd one, and I got a lump in the throat and heard sniffles through my theater so it was impactful. And the villain. Man I love Stephen Lang here. They brought the two dimensional villain from the first one up the three dimensions. Hell maybe fucking four dimensions. I really love Quaritch in this film. Excellent character work and writing.

Now the negatives. Phew. Okay. First, the high frame rate is fucking awful. And the switching between was so dizzying its not even funny. I was fighting the urge to throw up on the drive home. Yes seriously. Imagine you're playing a video game, and its switching between performance mode and quality mode on the fly in real time while you're in the middle of the action. It honestly kind of tanked the final battle for me because my eyes and head hurt so badly from the switching. And made the action less readable and clear.

Characters I was endeared to from the first one are reduced to glorified cameos at best. Even Jake and Neteryi feel extremely tertiary. It kinda has that Star Wars prequel thing goin on where if you were asked to name a central main character, who is the protagonist. It would kinda be like uhhhh... hmmm... Well. Shit. The first one obviously it was Jake Sully. This one off the top of my head you could make an argument for at least 3 different guys. Maybeee 4 as I think about it now. The closest is the younger son perhaps. Or Kiri. Which leaves the movie feeling hollow and you feel less pathos than the first one.

It also manages to be way too long yet rushed at the same time. I never bitch about length in a movie but I dare someone to tell me they didn't get bored in the second act. You even get an EXTREMELY indulgent preachy scene of what is basically a whale poaching that was so blunt and obvious I thought one of the actors would look straight into the camera at one point and go "Hello, I'm *actor*, and you just saw a fictional whale poaching on pandora, but did you know we have real whale poaching here on earth? Yes thats right every year X amount are poached. Call 1-800-111-1234 after your screening for more information." I mean it was like cartoonishly in your face.

I feel like all the side characters were husks, and lacked any punch or umph. The first one I liked the Indian doctor, Siguorny Weaver's Grace, Norn the nerdy scientist guy, Neteryis mom and dad, Jakes rival in the forest tribe who was gonna marry Neteryi and Michelle Rodriguiz. It's nothing like breaking bad levels of sophisticated or excellent. But they're fun and memorable and get their own little mini arcs and it works. This one? I left feeling like I didn't know a single fucking thing about any of the new characters. It feels so rushed. Kate Winslet and Cliff Curtis play the leaders of the new sea tribe and they're well acted but uhhh just very cursory. There's nothing there. It's empty. Same for their kids of the sea tribe. Even the Sully kids, only like 2/5 get any real time or development.

The dialogue was never Shakespear in the first one but here it is extra cringe. I mean some of the worst dialogue I've heard in a big blockbuster which is saying something. It made top gun maverick look Oscar worthy. Basically I'd say no way home tier or worse at times. The jokes, all but 2 were aggressively unfunny. It was just really poorly written to the point where I noticed it. And I saw the first movie in the re release in September and this is definitely worse.

They also did the cheapest laziest sequel baiting I've seen in awhile. This movie doesn't feel like it stands on it's own. It feels rushed. We waited 13 years and you end your shit on a borderline cliff hanger? It also had that annoying Force Awakens/Prometheus thing of all these intriguing questions that are basically all unanswered when the credits role. If you watched the trailer and thought man I wonder how they unravel this mystery plot or these new questions here they're teasing. They don't. See you in 2024 don't forget your $20 for the IMAX ticket for the 3rd movie. Just felt cheap and unearned.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Sure, let's keep pretending that Avatar was a big nothing burger of a movie that nobody fondly remembers....

18757.jpeg

Everyone saw it but very few remember much about it.

I dont remember anything that happened in the movie aside from some big battle in the end and Sam becoming a blue alien.

pramod

Banned
  • The final battle.
  • When the marine villain shoots at them by holding his breath when they're stealing the ship.
  • Jake learning to fly for the first time.
  • Jake getting the giant dragon tamed.
  • The tree getting exploded.
  • Jake leaving his human body behind at the end.
I could keep going. You're just bitter dude.

How about just name an iconic line from the movie?

Chiggs

Well. I'm happy to see a lot of people in this thread loving it. I personally feel crazy because uhhhh I really wasn't feeling this one boys. I hate to be that guy who dissents but man. I love, love, love the first one. I've been hyped for this one since 6th grade when I'd ask my dad if they were going to make a sequel.

Okay well the positives first. The action is pretty good. James has been directing great action for like 30 years and he's gotten pretty good at it. The CGI is amazing as you'd expect. I don't have a lot to say and rave about here, I mean its 99% photorealistic, stands tall above the usual lazy VFX we get in garbage like marvel. You've heard all the praise I could possibly say about it already. And there was one emotional beat near the end where a certain character I won't spoil may or may not have uhh, well lets just say I don't expect to see em in the 3rd one, and I got a lump in the throat and heard sniffles through my theater so it was impactful. And the villain. Man I love Stephen Lang here. They brought the two dimensional villain from the first one up the three dimensions. Hell maybe fucking four dimensions. I really love Quaritch in this film. Excellent character work and writing.

Now the negatives. Phew. Okay. First, the high frame rate is fucking awful. And the switching between was so dizzying its not even funny. I was fighting the urge to throw up on the drive home. Yes seriously. Imagine you're playing a video game, and its switching between performance mode and quality mode on the fly in real time while you're in the middle of the action. It honestly kind of tanked the final battle for me because my eyes and head hurt so badly from the switching. And made the action less readable and clear.

Characters I was endeared to from the first one are reduced to glorified cameos at best. Even Jake and Neteryi feel extremely tertiary. It kinda has that Star Wars prequel thing goin on where if you were asked to name a central main character, who is the protagonist. It would kinda be like uhhhh... hmmm... Well. Shit. The first one obviously it was Jake Sully. This one off the top of my head you could make an argument for at least 3 different guys. Maybeee 4 as I think about it now. The closest is the younger son perhaps. Or Kiri. Which leaves the movie feeling hollow and you feel less pathos than the first one.

It also manages to be way too long yet rushed at the same time. I never bitch about length in a movie but I dare someone to tell me they didn't get bored in the second act. You even get an EXTREMELY indulgent preachy scene of what is basically a whale poaching that was so blunt and obvious I thought one of the actors would look straight into the camera at one point and go "Hello, I'm *actor*, and you just saw a fictional whale poaching on pandora, but did you know we have real whale poaching here on earth? Yes thats right every year X amount are poached. Call 1-800-111-1234 after your screening for more information." I mean it was like cartoonishly in your face.

I feel like all the side characters were husks, and lacked any punch or umph. The first one I liked the Indian doctor, Siguorny Weaver's Grace, Norn the nerdy scientist guy, Neteryis mom and dad, Jakes rival in the forest tribe who was gonna marry Neteryi and Michelle Rodriguiz. It's nothing like breaking bad levels of sophisticated or excellent. But they're fun and memorable and get their own little mini arcs and it works. This one? I left feeling like I didn't know a single fucking thing about any of the new characters. It feels so rushed. Kate Winslet and Cliff Curtis play the leaders of the new sea tribe and they're well acted but uhhh just very cursory. There's nothing there. It's empty. Same for their kids of the sea tribe. Even the Sully kids, only like 2/5 get any real time or development.

The dialogue was never Shakespear in the first one but here it is extra cringe. I mean some of the worst dialogue I've heard in a big blockbuster which is saying something. It made top gun maverick look Oscar worthy. Basically I'd say no way home tier or worse at times. The jokes, all but 2 were aggressively unfunny. It was just really poorly written to the point where I noticed it. And I saw the first movie in the re release in September and this is definitely worse.

They also did the cheapest laziest sequel baiting I've seen in awhile. This movie doesn't feel like it stands on it's own. It feels rushed. We waited 13 years and you end your shit on a borderline cliff hanger? It also had that annoying Force Awakens/Prometheus thing of all these intriguing questions that are basically all unanswered when the credits role. If you watched the trailer and thought man I wonder how they unravel this mystery plot or these new questions here they're teasing. They don't. See you in 2024 don't forget your $20 for the IMAX ticket for the 3rd movie. Just felt cheap and unearned.

Solid post. I think the HFR 3D is what impacted your experience the most. Personally, I fucking loved it. No eye fatigue or motion blur = :messenger_sunglasses:

Glad to see nearly everyone agrees on the bad guy. There was definitely an effort made there.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Leonard Nimoy directed an entire "save the whales" movie in 1986 and it's a beloved classic.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I think the only thing I disagree with is HFR, I didn’t mind the frame rate switching and I thought it worked fo the movie which I didn’t expect. You’re absolutely right about the lack of character development for too many characters. Kate Winslett for instance did a lot of promo interviews, she was one of the cast members who haf to do many scenes underwater and was able to hold her breath for six or eight minutes. I expected her to have a substantial role in the movie, but it was a minor role that could have been played by any noname actress. No character development, no real role in the plot except that of a concerned mom. The whole cast already did the sequel, perhaps they all have juicier roles in Avatar 3. I think the movie could have been stronger if Cameron had cut most of the whale subplot and focused on the Na’vi characters instead. I think he didn’t because the message about hunting the whales was too important for him.

Still, having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. This is a movie you have to see on the big screen to properly experience the visuals and action set pieces. It’s a feast for the eyes. Watching it in 2D on a regular sized tv won’t be the same as seeing it on a huge screen with an audience. I didn’t leave the cinema in a daze like i did after seeing the first Avatar movie, but I do recommend people to go see the sequel, because there’s absolutely nothing like it - until Avatar 3 is released in 2024.

Last edited:
I think if the internet was around back then everyone would just shit on Predator, Terminator and all of it. They're not high art and they never were. Its just a talented guy trying to make cool sci fi action movies. That used to be enough.

Reminds me of Promethueus. They made a legendary new alien guy and had great effects. That literally used to be enough.

Being a cynic has its place but you're not a genius for picking apart Avatar. You're all just missing the fun of one of the best 80s directors left making a video gamey action movie. Whenever I see the villain in Avatar 1, I see the type of fun character we got in Predator and Aliens. Just a comically bad ass dude. You guys are just jaded and you would be shitting on all the 80s classics if they came out today.

skneogaf

I watched in IMAX HFR 3D

Large parts of it doesn't feel like a movie and more about another of James Cameron issues with stuff that happens on earth.

It definitely doesn't need to be over 3 hours

The cgi is the best that's ever been done before and won't be beaten till the next one.

I don't think avatar 2 was needed and I definitely don't think 3, 4, 5 and 6 are needed but they'll happen.

The HFR was very weird as It makes it look like a video game and I noticed the frame rate switching which is awful.

Last edited:

Doom85

I think if the internet was around back then everyone would just shit on Predator, Terminator and all of it. They're not high art and they never were. Its just a talented guy trying to make cool sci fi action movies. That used to be enough.

Reminds me of Promethueus. They made a legendary new alien guy and had great effects. That literally used to be enough.

Being a cynic has its place but you're not a genius for picking apart Avatar. You're all just missing the fun of one of the best 80s directors left making a video gamey action movie. Whenever I see the villain in Avatar 1, I see the type of fun character we got in Predator and Aliens. Just a comically bad ass dude. You guys are just jaded and you would be shitting on all the 80s classics if they came out today.

-yes, none of them were high Art, but they had more memorable characters, and stories that weren’t just a cliched retelling of prior Native American movies.

-who was the “legendary” alien guy in Prometheus? Surely you don’t mean the Engineer? Oh no, everybody run, it’s a guy in a cheap-looking Voldemort cosplay!

Prometheus did have some good aspects to it. Music was great, Fassbender was great, Elba and his two teammates were decent. But the lead Shaw, while decent, didn’t have the same screen presence like Ripley did, and oh my god were all the characters not mentioned yet just the most insufferable morons. Also, why the fuck was Weyland not played by an elderly actor? That makeup job was a joke! Not to mention some plot holes (that fucking mural drives me insane) and questions that go nowhere. Overall, it‘s a mixed bag, a decent flick, but not on par with the first two Alien films, not even close.

Convenient how you don’t bring up Alien Covenant…..

Also, no, that was never enough. I forget if it was Nightmare on Elm Street 4 or 5, maybe both, but there were some unique deaths in it with really great practical effects. Yet the movie was still considered nowhere near as good as 1 or 3 due to a weaker story and cast.

Hell, Spielberg directed the 2nd Jurassic Park film, yet again, most consider it nowhere near as good as the first one due to the characters generally being less interesting and often dumb for dumb’s sake and the story was more clumsy. Didn’t matter they threw a T-Rex in California, people could tell this one wasn’t trying as hard as the previous film. It wasn’t “good enough”.

-you’re really comparing Colonel whatshisname from Avatar to the Predator or the Alien Queen? Bruh, BRUH. Like, come on. Those two gave so much more suspense whenever they were on screen. Stephen Lang, while doing the best with the nothing he was given, was just a generic angry army man with a one track mind. Wasn’t even that intimidating. The T-800 in Terminator 1 and T-1000 in 2 had better and more memorable dialogue than this guy, and those two were fucking robots for crying out loud!

Blockbuster action films are everywhere, Avatar 2 looks nothing special to me in terms of bringing me back given how cliched and forgettable I found the first one (this makes the “jaded” counter especially hilarious, yes we’ve clearly been “jaded“ for THIRTEEN YEARS. Like, come on, already), and when all people can push is “but it’s pretty though!” I especially check out. Dune last year was really pretty but also offered me characters and story I could give a shit about. Which also justified a long run time. Even some of the people defending Avatar 2 say it should have been shorter, which makes me even less interested in seeing it given its the most stressful month of the year and I‘d rather prioritize my free time on something I’ll more likely enjoy over watching this solely because Cameron made it. Hey, guess what? David Fincher is my favorite director, but if he had ended up directing World War Z 2 like was planned, it would be a hard sell for me to see it as I found the first film completely forgettable.

Look, if you push style over substance, good for you. But don’t be shocked that plenty of people don’t agree.

But you know, maybe I will watch some Avatar this weekend. Some GOOD Avatar.

Sexy Avatar The Last Airbender GIF

Whenever I see the villain in Avatar 1, I see the type of fun character we got in Predator and Aliens. Just a comically bad ass dude.
I gained new appreciation for him when I watched the remaster. He's badass and hilarious. Winning combination that carries over perfectly to the sequel.

The whole Recom squad is fun to watch btw. Loved the one with the bubble gum and the return of these two guys:
NUGKn7F.jpg

They even got the same actors to do the mo-cap!
And Norm's avatar survived!

PanzerAzel

Well I’m glad to see some here feeling underwhelmed, because I was as well.

First to say, admittedly I’m not too keen on the Avatar universe so take this for what it’s worth. I love Cameron as a director and he’s one of my favorites, but I consider Avatar to easily be his weakest work. Despite its visual flourishings and appeals to spectacle, I find it otherwise to be an incredibly generic and uninspired universe. That mostly stems from feelings towards the deficiencies of character and plot that feel subservient to the focusing on thematic enforcement (oftentimes patronizingly so) and attention to world-building.

But aside general sentiments on the franchise, I saw nothing specifically in this film that wasn’t much a retread of the first. And three hours?? Fuck no. This isn’t a spoiler thread so I don’t want to get too much into details, only to say…..two more films of this? Why? What was progressed here that wasn’t established previously, and why are two more films (alongside Cameron’s more than likely final film-making escapade) necessary to extrapolate?

The whole franchise honestly feels to me like using a movie as an excuse to play with spectacle, and from Cameron, who has previously written some incredible characters with heart, that’s a real disappointment.

ZehDon

Just came back from a second screening. The movie is an interesting second watch, and it may actually be more rewatchable than the first one. None of the scenes dragged, there was never a “oh crap, I gotta get through this again” moment. It flows incredibly well for its run time, and a lot of the character moments landed a little better the second time around, which was surprising. Cameron makes movies that work well across repeat viewings, and he’s definitely done it again here.

I’m sure the average price for this movie is also higher. It’s also shorter than RotK and Titanic.

RaduN

Saw it last night in 3D.
Thought i'd let it sink in for a bit before sharing my impressions.
Sadly there were some issues in the cinema, like slightly unsynched audio and some jerkyness in some scenes, like it was loading the next level while playing the cutscene 😄
Knew we should have to gone to that other cinema (further away from home), but ultimatelly the overall experience did not really suffer.

Let's get this out of the way: The graphics, animations, human-like behaviour and facials, complexity of the scenes, wow factor, are all in a different league from all the industrially released AAA blockbusters from the past 10 years or so. There is nothing that even comes close, and there won't be for a long time, that's almost certain.

Now, the movie itself is good. Bolded and underlined. Not as self contained, nor as tightly paced as the first, but in the grand scheme of things, most likely a mandatory part of the big story, laying the foundations for what's to come.

The story itself is light by design, but the new characters and their development is the bread and butter of the narrative.
Literally everything that happends in this movie is part of the character development, and it's a complete succes in this regard. Nothing feels forced, all interactions between them are completely believable, the villain VS kids dynamic is absolutely fantastic.
A couple of bold moments in the climax of the movie might have seem forced, if not for the meticulously created parent and son connection throughout the movie, and this is by far, the movie's greatest achievement.

The (new) villain, the kids and the new world, are all carefully constructed, but this is where a certain issue arises. The clear focus one would expect here, is a bit blurred between these 3 arcs, but by the very end of the movie, this is outweighted by the satisfying payoff, which is, i guess, always a sort of a gamble from a director.

While less eventful and slower paced than the first, it feels bigger, more grand in the end. A clear work of love, full of heart, and deeply relevant in more than one way.

ManaByte

Definitely better than the first, and I love the first a lot. A real Terminator -> T2 progression. Still in awe of how that final battle was staged and planned out and how it goes from quiet, to insane epic, to T2 foundry on the Titanic to small.

The HFR was fantastic and more of it was in HFR than I was expecting based on what people here were saying.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just finished it.

Best SFX ever put to film, by a mile. Story is more emotional and focused on personal conflict than the first one. Some of the lines/performances fall flat and though it was well paced, it’s a LONG movie. Last act is amazing, and I teared up a couple times during the film, which never happened with the first Avatar.

It’s definitely better than the first one but if you didn’t like the first I’m not sure this one would win you over.

If you’re going to see it, it needs to be seen in theaters and in 3D. I’d consider it a must watch cinematic experience.

Last edited:

Trumpets

I didn't enjoy ths one as much as the first. It's not bad but after 12 years I was expecting something a bit more adventurous, rather than a sort of watery retread of the previous film.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked it quite a bit but it is VERY derivative of the first, as I suspected given its quasi reintroduction nature. You could play this alongside avatar 1 and very similar events would happen at about the same time.

Action was great though, never fails to bring a smile to my face when Na'vi whoop up on humans.

I am curious if it will be brought up that one of the primary reasons for whale hunting these days are native tribes "keeping their ancient traditions".

I have a theory that Eywa actually controls EVERYONE on Pandora, the navi (and the whales) are only semi autonomous and not true sentient beings with free will, thus the global "balance" that simply doesn't happen in any chaotic biological system.

Also, is Pandora the moon tidally locked to the sun and night is always this eclipse thing? Didn't seem so in A1 but here it happened a lot. Wonder if there is a side in perpetual darkness (or lit only by the gas giant).

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I'm going to watch this at the IMAX in 3D after Christmas when it's quieter. The first film I saw at the BFI IMAX in London and still to this day the best 3D experience I've ever had.

Alcibiades

Is there anyway to get a non-HFR showing? I think they are all that way from what I've been reading. Annoying because I want to see this again a time or two but the "soap opera effect" was ruining the CGI scenes.

I'm wondering if watching a 3D version would help matters. I hate 3D but I saw the re-release of Avatar in September and it was fine. I've read it was a 48fps re-release and I didn't seem to notice. But it wasn't shot that way so maybe that why it didn't seem that bad.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Have deadline tell it everyone is holding off till they can get a hold of tickets to the premium 4d smell-o-vision showings.

Yeah, what would Deadline know? Especially when compared to someone on NeoGAF whose recent posting history is all anyone really needs to know.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...ion-worldwide-through-friday/?sh=5cc55841265a

We all know moviegoing explodes after Christmas, so the best measure of Avatar 2 is its hold in weekend 2, heck, let’s see where the running total is by end of New Year’s weekend.

But the story of the Christmas season and beyond will be Avatar: The Way of Water and whether a rising tide of positive word of mouth, good critical reception, and impressive box office will lift it enough to top $2 billion and make a possible run at all-time territory. It’s still way too early to say for sure, but my initial gut reaction is that even with long legs and strong holds, the situation in China and threat of that situation spreading even worse infection surges around the globe point to an Avatar 2 finish somewhere between $1.5 billion and $2+/- billion.

Seems pretty reasonable, but I'm sure that's just Forbes doing damage control, AMIRITE OR AMIRTE?

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just got back from the IMAX 3D version.

I enjoyed it even more than the first (which isn't the highest bar).

As I was watching I couldn't help but feel like this is the most visually stunning movie I've seen. The 3D was actually really good and I'm not a giant fan of 3d films.

Can see kinda sorta where this is going based on the ending and so it makes you wonder what could happen with the antagonist.

nush

Gold Member
Seems pretty reasonable, but I'm sure that's just Forbes doing damage control, AMIRITE OR AMIRTE?

Puss in Boots will get the kids, Whitney Houston will get the adults. Not that they'll necessarily take more, but they'll take a decent percentage I'd guess.

Watched this on Thursday in IMAX 3D, enjoyed it a lot more than the first. Give me the action scenes, and less exposition of a story that’s not really original. Yes please. :)

nush

Gold Member
Now I know why I'm not seeing much advertising, cross-promotions or merch in China.

It was only approved for release last month and everything you need to do for a marketing campaign takes way, way longer than that.

China loves Avatar? If that was true in 2022 they would have been onboard early enough to do what was needed to make all that money you thought the movie should. MCU got all this sorted and guaranteed releases up until Far From Home.

Link this post to anyone saying that China is going to makeup the money needed for this movie to be a hit.

Now I know why I'm not seeing much advertising, cross-promotions or merch in China.

It was only approved for release last month and everything you need to do for a marketing campaign takes way, way longer than that.

China loves Avatar? If that was true in 2022 they would have been onboard early enough to do what was needed to make all that money you thought the movie should. MCU got all this sorted and guaranteed releases up until Far From Home.

Link this post to anyone saying that China is going to makeup the money needed for this movie to be a hit.

This is tangential but when this thing underperforms and it will, (don't count on China to save it nerds they're going through massive COVID lock downs and protests) Cameron will simply blame the MCU.

Also, is Pandora the moon tidally locked to the sun and night is always this eclipse thing? Didn't seem so in A1 but here it happened a lot. Wonder if there is a side in perpetual darkness (or lit only by the gas giant).

No. Some of its features are not yet shown in the movies. It has extreme volcanism due to the push and pull of the nearest moons (Avatar 3 is confirmed to show this). It also has massive radiation and plasma storms. If you care about lore and background information maybe grab a copy of the Avatar Activist Survival Guide. It's basically a speculative science fiction book, exploring everything from the origins of unobtanium to the form and function of plants you don't even notice in the movie.
The book says there is life on another moon...

nush

Gold Member
Iron Man 2008 - Avatar 2009.

Today 2022

In that time one movie built a franchise, the other made just a sequel. I'm not an MCU fanboy, as the current pahse has been fucking shit for the most part. But when it's good, it's really good.

ManaByte

Today 2022

In that time one movie built a franchise, the other made just a sequel. I'm not an MCU fanboy, as the current pahse has been fucking shit for the most part. But when it's good, it's really good.

If Iron Man was released in 2022 RDJ would be cancelled and there would be no MCU.

All the MCU "stans" on Twitter would provably soil their diapers if someone showed them the scene where RDJ makes a transphobic joke to Terence Howard.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Today 2022

I’ve really enjoyed a ton of MCU stuff but not a single film from Phase 5 comes anywhere close to Avatar 2 in impact or quality.

Doom85

I’ve really enjoyed a ton of MCU stuff but not a single film from Phase 5 comes anywhere close to Avatar 2 in impact or quality.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

I mean, yeah, you’re not wrong. Any film that has released at all will have more impact and quality than films of a Phase that hasn’t even started yet…..

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Saw it yesterday. I thought it was weak and pretty bad. Way to long for the kind of story it told.

I also dont know why the Movie is called Avatar, outside of the Human Doc and flashbacks of Sigourney Weaver not one Avatar was used. Everyone was a permanent Navii.

Top Bottom