• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone in the Dark | Review Thread

Mixed reviews to me are always a weird plus.

Im probably going to end up checking it out. I love being on the guinea pig crew for titles like this. Im in the exact same position as Doctor Hades Doctor Hades with really enjoying the AA landscape lately so this looks like it could fit the bill nicely.

Seriously, as long as it doesn't crash on me endlessly, Ill probably enjoy it.

Sorry @Danjin44, Fat Cop From Stranger Things here I come :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Same.

I get the weird sense it's a banger. We got some 90s and then 60s.

Besides a bit of expected jank, a few reviewers said the performance was great. No crashes etc.

I'll be doing my part and grabbing it tomorrow. If not, and with the current industry environment, we might not get these games that take chances anymore.

With this game using Unreal Engine 4 (or is it 5?) then some of the issues mentioned in the review could well be fixable with Engine INI tweaks and user mods so the PC version is hopefully the best version to play so long as it doesn't have the dreadful shader compilation stutter...

Fabieter

Same.

I get the weird sense it's a banger. We got some 90s and then 60s.

Besides a bit of expected jank, a few reviewers said the performance was great. No crashes etc.

I'll be doing my part and grabbing it tomorrow. If not, and with the current industry environment, we might not get these games that take chances anymore.

Its why I like thq Nordic. The same with the new outcast. Will be a sad day if they go under and most of those games with it.

kunonabi

Pre-ordered mine yesterday. Review make it sound like just the thing I wanted. I just finished playing nightcry the other day and that was a fantastic time despite the negative reviews.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Pre-ordered mine yesterday. Review make it sound like just the thing wanted. I just finished playing nightcry the other day and that was a fantastic time despite the negative reviews.
I'll have to check out Nightcry, never heard of it. I really hate how easy it is for people to write a game off based solely on reviews. So many of my favorite games scored low and I just can't imagine missing out on those titles. Granted, sometimes a game is that bad but I find that to be the exception these days.

Lokaum D+

Frustrated World Cup GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
Still interested in this but it just feels like a game that will show up on Game Pass or PS+ in about a year.
It probably will at some point. That's how it was for The Medium, only difference is that I paid full price digital and then it went to PS+ a week later 😅

Reactions: Isa

Killer8

This gives me a lot of Frogwares game vibes. Lot of jank but excusable when it's $10 and is actually a pretty okay game under the surface.

The demo they put out was really shit but that was more to do with the length of it than a quality issue.

The purpose of a demo is to give the player a clear representation of what the full game will look/feel/play like. If a demo fails to do that it's on the devs, not the player. The Diofield Chronicle demo sold me on the game, the 71% metacritic score didn't deter me, I loved what I played and the full game was more of that. More recently the Prince of Persia demo sold on getting the game, high reviews were irrelevant, I've been doing this gaming thing a long time and trust my own instincts/experience over anyone's opinions.

All of this is to say I wasn't feeling what I played plus my plate is extra full anyway. In the year of our Lord 2024 I've bought PoP, Yakuza 8, Tekken 8, Helldivers 2, Tomb Raider Trilogy, FF Rebirth and Unicorn Overlord. If you've been looking forward to Alone in the Dark then enjoy it 👍

The original still has a special place in my heart. It was so scary when I was a child. However from everything I see, this game is just Alone in the Dark by name and never captures the atmosphere of the original.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Why though? It has some really glowing reviews if that's a big factor for you.

Saw a YT comment that I thought was a good call, guy said it reminds him of when The Evil Within launched. Lots of different review scores. I feel like that game is now viewed as a classic. Definitely wasn't at launch.

Sometimes you just gotta take a chance if the budget allows and it's a game that looks fun to you. The bugs are the most concerning things for me, gameplay complaints just seem like some reviewers don't like survival horror mechanics.

xrnzaaas

Apparently both scenarios are basically the same minus one special area for each character and that's very disappointing. They should've done a better job ensuring replayability.

The reviews seem to be all over the place, I'll pick it up when it's on sale.

Last edited:
This is what's often wrong with many of those western AA or AAA games and why Indie and Japanese developers often get it right. Western developers try to make a movie first while the others try to make a game first.
As someone that can pardon some meh gameplay more easily than lackluster storytelling: this sucks equally. Omiting a story alltogether is better than what they often do, imho.

Hudo

A bit sad. I wanted this to be good because I liked Alone in the Dark 1,2,3 (but the very first one is still GOAT).

Oh well...

StueyDuck

Here's the thing. A bunch of 7s is more enticing to me today than 10s.

Game writers don't care much about the game itself, so if it's a 7 there's a strong chance the game just isn't pushing enough social messages for them to wank over.

If this games gets to a decent price and delivers the "generic" fun then count me in.

AA for the win

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Pretty rough. Wasn't expecting a miracle but high 70s maybe.

I like their angle for this one, really sticking to the original, but it sounds like the execution is lacking.

Top Bottom