• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Love and Thunder ⚡ impressions thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

Well I enjoyed this one a lot.
I think this is going to be one of those movies the comic fans are not going to like but regular people are. Comic book fans like to take everything seriously.
Dude what? xD It's the other way around. Comic fans (esp. fanatics on reddit) will defend this shit to the death and will eat every turd with Marvel logo on it, whereas more and more regular people are noticing how shallow this whole capeshit is. You can watch "quippy" dialogue and vfx diarrhea for so long I guess.

AJUMP23

Dude what? xD It's the other way around. Comic fans (esp. fanatics on reddit) will defend this shit to the death and will eat every turd with Marvel logo on it, whereas more and more regular people are noticing how shallow this whole capeshit is. You can watch "quippy" dialogue and vfx diarrhea for so long I guess.
It has basically become paint by numbers movies. Hero, villain, cameos, quips, with leads into the next one.

sol_bad

Not true, the guys that run my LCS hated it.

Alx

Only the first person to ever get there gets to make the only wish Eternity is granting. Otherwise any problem could be solved with this wish granter from now on. :messenger_winking_tongue:
It’s a bit of a waste in the end, using a cosmic-level, all-powerful event to revive a little girl.

Alcibiades

Saw this in IMAX and Dolby Cinema. Would have seen it in 4DX but they didn't have 2D screenings and I hate 3D glasses so I skipped that.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I wish they had fleshed out the "god" theme a bit more, we only really see the intro scene, the big one dead in the ice, and Zeus. Why was an Asgardian hunting Christian Bale? Are there more Asgardians in on this hint? Also, the origin of the sword is never really explained. And Eternity isn't explained much either but its interesting that its only the second time I think that we've seen a resurrection from death (not counting Dr Strange reversing time and undoing Wong's death)? I'm curious whether Thanos could have gotten to Eternity and bypassed the whole Infinity Stone thing.

My main complaint is I didn't like the rock guy narrating the story at times. Not sure how else they could have done it, but his presence is too much sometimes. Outside of the rock guy, the humor didn't bother me much and it does feel like in Thor is basically a comedic superhero at this point. Would the movie be better with less humor? Maybe but I think that about almost every Marvel movie.

It would have been cool for them to go even harder on the classic rock motif they had, that felt a bit disjointed rather than a unifying theme for the movie. Oh and I didn't really like how the girl at the end ended up powers but whatever I guess.

Still, the characters were cool and I'm glad we got to explore a bit of New Asgard. I enjoyed it more than DS2.

sol_bad

It looks like the movie is having some OK legs and is estimated to reach 750 million. This is a pretty good take, reason being because Love and Thunder wasn't released in China, Russia or Malaysia along with a few other countries.

Ragnarok made $853,977,126 world wide.
Ragnarok in China, Russia and Malaysia made a combined total of $143,912,176.
If you remove those 3 countries from Ragnaroks box office it made $710,064,950.

So if Love and Thunder does reach 750 million, it has done better in the majority of international countries.

Last edited:
6.0 movie

Not even one joke landed for me and all the others watching it. The room was completely silent.

Last 10 minutes were kinda great, but everything else was "straight do Disney+" quality
Right? Those last 10 minutes kind of came out of nowhere, were emotionally affecting, narratively effective, and successfully bittersweet. Could've been a lot more of that, considering they showed they could do it. Just wasn't a priority, I guess.

Tams

It looks like the movie is having some OK legs and is estimated to reach 750 million. This is a pretty good take, reason being because Love and Thunder wasn't released in China, Russia or Malaysia along with a few other countries.

Ragnarok made $853,977,126 world wide.
Ragnarok in China, Russia and Malaysia made a combined total of $143,912,176.
If you remove those 3 countries from Ragnaroks box office it made $710,064,950.

So if Love and Thunder does reach 750 million, it has done better in the majority of international countries.
So many grumpy, humourless haters in this thread. It's a good film.

sol_bad

So many grumpy, humourless haters in this thread. It's a good film.

I can certainly understand people not liking the films style of humour but calling it one of the worst films is going a bit far.

Seriously, I don't know anyone who would rather watch Catwoman or Elektra over Love and Thunder.

Pejo

Well, I saw this yesterday. Liked it way more than I expected to, based on other impressions. The last 1/3 of the movie took itself serious enough to not totally ruin the harder hitting story bits. The only 3 major complaints I have are:

• Tired of male characters being idiots and incompetent in all of these movies, only to have women step in and set things right.
  • The kids scene after they got powered up at the end. With just a minor adjustment of just having them blast lightning out of their fingertips and what not, it would have been fine, but all of the sudden they knew kick flips and kung fu etc. I dunno why it bothers me so much, but it does. I feel like 80s movies would have kids vs. villains too, but the kids would be kinda fumbling around and seemed appropriately scared/confused.
  • The ending with the "daughter" character. It's like they are just planting the seed of how they plan to spit in Thor fans faces moving forward.
I surprisingly liked Jane's story, I even wish they had given us more of that and maybe removed 10 of the screaming goat scenes.

Also, making Korg and his whole race gay despite him talking about his "mum" in the last movie. :pie_eyeroll:

Anyways, Ragnarok is still my favorite of the Thor movies, but I still had a good enough time that I considered it worth the price of admission.

DZ_b_EZ

Another excellent MCU movie. Although, I do feel like it wasn't needed. It was still cool and funny nonetheless. Hopefully, this is the last Thor movie.

It's been a couple weeks since I've seen it, so thinking back on it, that punching-above-its-weight-ending is what sticks in my mind. Very emotional and cute ending to what had been a middling movie up to that point.

More movies should nail their endings. Helps to forget a bunch of the flaws.

MastaKiiLA

Watched this last night. I loved Ragnarok, but this wasn't nearly as good. They tried to go even heavier on the humor in this one with an endless barrage of quips. But it felt a lot less funny than Ragnarok. A lot of the jokes failed to land with me, and/or felt forced. This felt like Taika cashing a much larger check than last time, and just using a 2x multiplier on the Ragnarok script.

I thought they worked Jane into the She-Thor role well enough, though they yada-yada'd past the part I wanted to see, which is her first transformation and testing of her abilities. I'd also like to know how they moved Mjolnir to that display case, seeing as you'd have to be worthy to do so. She didn't use the shattered form of Mjolnir enough either, given that ability is so OP. There was wasted potential there.

Tessa Thompson, talented actress that she is, continues to wear out her welcome with me. Between this and Westworld, I think I've had my fill of her. I think it's because her character really doesn't have a ton of depth to it. I tried to like the character, but Valkyrie just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's because Tessa doesn't have the physicality you'd expect of a viking warrior god. It might be what throws me off about her in WW too.

Don't get me started on the child soldiers at the end nonsense. I mean, it's the thing I hated most about Shazam, and Thor went and turned it up to 11. The whole idea of distributing power is fine. But why does it have to be kids? And why are they suddenly super-skilled fighters as a result? If you could transfer fighting ability to others, along with magic, then why didn't he just give the GotG his powers while he went to meditate? It just doesn't make sense. YES, it's a fucking comic book movie. It's not realistic. But there is a limit to how far I can suspend disbelief, and I have a super-high tolerance. This kind of stuff pushes me off the ledge though.

As for the implications of Thor having a daughter...I'm indifferent. I guess it opens the door for the continuation of the Thor storyline, even after Hemsworth is too old to juice. More likely, it sets up a TV series for younger comic fans. I'll let stuff like that play out before overreacting. What I can say with certainty is that this film wasn't what I expected. I came away a little disappointed, but I think I might need to recalibrate my expectations for the MCU going forward. The quality of this phase's films has not been great. I think my expectations should be set accordingly.

RAÏSanÏa

Battles were fun.

A bit too much GnR in the sense that it was Hemsworth's Thor's theme music. If testing the limits of rock opera mime, like this seems, they should have expanded a bit and included Ride the Lightning and maybe Fade to Black for Portman's Thor.

Kimahri

Banned
I would probably have enjoyed it when I was 15. Reminds me of that old movie Baseketball. A movie that made me laugh hysterically when it first came out, but on adult rewatching was embarassingly stupid.

It's kinda like how humor grows with you. Gets a bit more sophisticated with age.

This... Eh. This was a movie made by teenagers. Waititi is kind of an embarassing individual if he as a grown man thinks this is good. It's just dumb inane joke after joke. Like how the goats scream. Fun at first, but then they beat that nail over and over and over and over.

It's never as fun the sexond time, so learn to pace yourselves yeah?

Only good part was Zeus. The rest was just a snoozefest. Not even sure why I finished it. Have this weird obsession with finishing what I start. Watched it over 4 sittings. Couldn't manage more than 30 minutes at a time.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Left a bad taste in my mouth
Is it because he talked like a Greek dad who owns a kebab shop ?

He was the best character after Gor.
Who was a sympathetic villain

Everyone else except Jane was just in comedic mode.
Oh storm breaker is jealous.

Dealing with really existential issues. Looks screaming goats, Stormbreaker is jealous. Here’s Korg, screaming goats.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Finally saw it.

Wasn't as good as I hoped. Some parts were enjoyable but too often it seemed like there were large parts CUT from it. I still don't know much about Hilda (Valkyrie) and Jane's story was HEAVILY truncated. I was surprised (sorta because they were a little spoiled by idiots on YouTube) by the two end credits scenes.

Overall... It was ok. Left me feeling hollow. But, I'll say the opening and the end were done VERY well with good emotional beats. I liked Omnipotent City... Even though it was also seemingly cut for time... And how exactly did Gorr know so much?! It couldn't have all come from the Necrosword, could it?

5 out of 10. Average.

Shubh_C63

People saying they have made Thor character a joke doesn't realize a good payoff movie (Endgame, 2024-Avengers etc) are better when character follows an arc. If embarrassingly funny/cringe stuff is here then the payoff movies will be better and darker. I hope.

2 hours of explosion and comic quips. It was alright. 6/10

And how exactly did Gorr know so much?! It couldn't have all come from the Necrosword, could it?
How is this Necrosword artifact so freaking strong? Felt like it belong to a secret sect which knows way more about the universe/eternals. How did a lowly god even managed to kill one of the necrosword warriors (starting of the movie). Or Batman was just too good wielding its power.

Last edited:

Amiga

This felt like Taika cashing a much larger check than last time, and just using a 2x multiplier on the Ragnarok script.

This 100% (2x)

And the Gorr story in the comic was much cooler. The Christmas Carol concept was great.

The film felt like Spider-Man 3, a patchwork of different arcs combined into a lesser form of every part. most MCU content now is doing this and is just creating a mess.

And what was the point of building up his teamup with GotG after Endgame just to have the adventures offscreen?

Billbofet

Took my son to see this in the theater and thought it was dumb yet entertaining. Re-watched it with my entire family on Friday night, and liked it 5X less.
I think the humor in it only works once - if it does. On the second viewing, the big positive is just how good Christian Bale is in this movie!!!
For me, this is one of the least re-watchable Marvel movies.

I ran through all the movies with my son a couple of years back as he was finally old enough. We skipped Iron Man 2 (yikes), Thor 2, and if I ever did this again, I would skip this movie I guess.
Not that it's nearly as bad as IM2 and Thor 2, it's just a slough when it can't lean on the humor.

Another thing that stood out this time is how unlikeable Valkyrie is. She's just bored, drunk, or absolutely apathetic the entire time. Sucks as it worked in Ragnorok, but not this time - at least for me.
Also, why didn't Thanos just have Peter Dinklage build him warpy hammer so he could make his wish at wishy warp during the Infinity gauntlet sage vs. going through the Infinity saga? I'm sure there's a reason, but if possible it would have saved him a ton of time.
I thought it was due to only Thor being able to wield it, but in this movie alone, pretty much every character is using it.

Ulysses 31

Also, why didn't Thanos just have Peter Dinklage build him warpy hammer so he could make his wish at wishy warp during the Infinity gauntlet sage vs. going through the Infinity saga? I'm sure there's a reason, but if possible it would have saved him a ton of time.
I think this is a result of MCU movies trying to raise the stakes more and more after endgame and failing to account for how it diminishes the Infinity Saga. Multiverse of Madness had the book of Vashanti which could've helped defeat Thanos but Dr. Strange and Wong somehow forgot about it during Infinity War and Endgame.

Last edited:

Moses85

Weakest Thor movie of the series. Felt into sleep 2 times in a row after 45 minutes.

They tried to save the movie with the great G&R Songs but these couldnt save the movie.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
I might watch it for Christian Bale.
that'll work christian bale GIF

GloveSlap

It's a shame, because this movie could have been good with some more work.

Also, i can't stand crap like the god of dumplings. Same with the universe where everything is paint in Dr. Strange 2. It's just stupid.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's a shame, because this movie could have been good with some more work.

Also, i can't stand crap like the god of dumplings. Same with the universe where everything is paint in Dr. Strange 2. It's just stupid.
The gods bit is kinda weird. We see a lot of Earth gods, so did all parts of Earth at one time get visited by various "alien gods"? Will the Greek pantheon be as diversely casted as Asgard? I'm sure the Aztec, Hindu, African, native American pantheon will be JUST AS GLOBAL in representation, right???

What exactly is the job of these gods and are they different beings than Asgardians?

If they do follow up Thor4 with Hercules (and really, how did they pass on a Lou Ferringo cameo?) and Zeus I think they will just goof up the entire MCU. Religion in the comics was always kinda dicey IMHO and the judeo-Christian group will always be difficult to depict.

Bale was great, they should have kept the kids shit out, and removed the dumb jokes. When the kids fought I almost puked of how stupid it was. It could have been a really great movie.

Hell, a full Gorr movie about how killing the gods and shit they did, could have been more amazing than this movie.

After "End Game", each new movie looks less and less entertaining for me. Also, it seems they change everything to a girl. Gorr had a son, not a daughter...guys are stupid...

The movie in parts felt cheap like Doc Strange 2. That fucking flying head.....

Netflix Chill GIF by Bad CGI Sharks

Ironbunny

I never thought it would be this bad movie but man it really is. Like there is nobody holding Taika in check so the whole thing feels like a long sketch. The whole movie is just stupid.

GloveSlap

The gods bit is kinda weird. We see a lot of Earth gods, so did all parts of Earth at one time get visited by various "alien gods"? Will the Greek pantheon be as diversely casted as Asgard? I'm sure the Aztec, Hindu, African, native American pantheon will be JUST AS GLOBAL in representation, right???

What exactly is the job of these gods and are they different beings than Asgardians?

If they do follow up Thor4 with Hercules (and really, how did they pass on a Lou Ferringo cameo?) and Zeus I think they will just goof up the entire MCU. Religion in the comics was always kinda dicey IMHO and the judeo-Christian group will always be difficult to depict.
Yeah, everything in the movie is undercooked. The Gods bit in particular, as well as being utterly pointless.

FunkMiller

Oh, fuck off Disney.

You took a great character and turned him into a fucking chump.

God awful movie from start to finish, with everything turned into a cringeworthy joke. Including having fucking cancer. Zero stakes. Zero tension. Zero character development. Zero point. You can’t spend half a movie turning everything into a joke, and expect the rest of it to land with any power or gravitas.

And the editing is woeful.

What a huge bloody mistake all around. Easily one of, if not the single worst MCU movie.

Last edited:

YCoCg

+ Christian Bale
+ Shadow realm fight
+ Guardians didn't overstay their welcome
+ November Rain Outro (yes it was cheesy as fuck with the kids knowing fighting styles but fuck if it didn't feel 80's as fuck)

- Not enough Christian Bale
- The God Counsel thing just felt completely pointless, like it was a set up for the stinger
- Story Teller vibe felt like it comes and goes at random, like it was threw in there for more Korg
- Felt like a lot of time was wasted to get to the point

Neolombax

Finally managed to watch it on Disney + after the movie was banned here...still don't know why its banned though. What a bad movie. Jokes did not land majority of times, and super cringe. I'd put this as the worst of all the MCU movies. The movie feels like it has no stakes at all. I liked Gorr though, he had a strong motivation to be a villain, and the Shadow Realm fight was thematically amazing to watch. But that was it.

taizuke

The film felt like Spider-Man 3, a patchwork of different arcs combined into a lesser form of every part.

I thought this as well and despite S3 being probably the worst Spider-Man film it still manages to be better.

With Multiverse of Madness i felt Sam Raimi was constrained whereas Love and Thunder was Taika unhinged and not in a good way.

Finally managed to watch it on Disney + after the movie was banned here...still don't know why its banned though. What a bad movie. Jokes did not land majority of times, and super cringe. I'd put this as the worst of all the MCU movies. The movie feels like it has no stakes at all. I liked Gorr though, he had a strong motivation to be a villain, and the Shadow Realm fight was thematically amazing to watch. But that was it.

Going to take a guess and say it was banned for including the scene where Korg explains how his species reproduce with two males.

Neolombax

This is the internet where is "Here"?
Malaysia.
Going to take a guess and say it was banned for including the scene where Korg explains how his species reproduce with two males
I think so yeah. The censorship body cut out the lesbian partners scene in Dr. Strange 2, so that wasnt banned. Not sure why the same wasnt done for this Thor movie. I think I read somewhere Disney didnt want the cut to be done so they had to ban the entire movie? Same case for Lightyear too.

Stitch

Gold Member
I guess it was Thors Buttshot, Zeus talking about Orgies, Korg meeting his boyfriend and Valkyrie obviously being interested in females...

Fbh

Bale was great, they should have kept the kids shit out, and removed the dumb jokes. When the kids fought I almost puked of how stupid it was. It could have been a really great movie.

Hell, a full Gorr movie about how killing the gods and shit they did, could have been more amazing than this movie.

After "End Game", each new movie looks less and less entertaining for me. Also, it seems they change everything to a girl. Gorr had a son, not a daughter...guys are stupid...

The movie in parts felt cheap like Doc Strange 2. That fucking flying head.....

Netflix Chill GIF by Bad CGI Sharks

I'm 1-2 bad movies away from finally dropping the MCU.
Everything after End Game has been rather shit. Out of all the new movies I only liked Shang Chi and even that one goes to shit in the final act.

Oh, fuck off Disney.

You took a great character and turned him into a fucking chump.

God awful movie from start to finish, with everything turned into a cringeworthy joke. Including having fucking cancer. Zero stakes. Zero tension. Zero character development. Zero point. You can’t spend half a movie turning everything into a joke, and expect the rest of it to land with any power or gravitas.

And the editing is woeful.

What a huge bloody mistake all around. Easily one of, if not the single worst MCU movie.

If they want to make a comedy that's fine by me.
But at least make it funny. I can't think of a single scene or line in this thing that was actually funny, it's one lame joke after another non stop.

Though admittedly, yeah, even framing it as a comedy it still needs at least a few serious parts, like Guardians of the Galaxy or Suicide Squad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom