• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Love and Thunder ⚡ impressions thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

Ulysses 31

It's not logical. That's the point. The villain is doing something which explicitly exposes him as a hypocrite, which is what he directly claims to not be. I feel like I'm going round in circles here.
So it should've been built up better, have him do things that make less and less sense signifying the corruption taking hold of him instead of the leap we get in the movie.

It's not a given that people struck with grief turn into villains. If that's the sword's specialty then that deserves some explanation with a little lore on the sword's origin. Now it's just a simple plot device to quickly get a powerful villain to jump start the story.(aka rushed)
He doesn't just happen to be within walking distance of the god and the sword. The oasis wasn't there and then it was. Clearly the sword provided him a path to that realm after its previous holder fell. It identified him as a suitable replacement because of what had happened to him and brought him to it. This is the issue with you not having seen the film and relying on moronic YouTubers to relate the story to you. They have no ability to infer anything that isn't spelled out in giant letters for them. It's genuinely sad to see people adopting their overly simplistic approach.
Doesn't really change much for my statement that he was guided to it and the convenience of the situation(the god not showing any concern about the sword's future and being a jerk).
Because that's the point where he goes off the deep end. There was something within him that was corruptible and the sword seizes upon that and amplifies it. It takes his pain and literally weaponises it, taking him on a path of destruction far beyond his initial intent. I realise you haven't seen the film so you have a limited perspective but I do not get what's hard to understand about this.
Issue is how fast the corruption happens. Maybe the sword is just that good at corrupting, it's not really interesting character development for a villain.

The way you described it makes it seem the sword has its own agenda which could've made the story more interesting. A little lore on the sword could've been a benefit for the movie.
It being very old storytelling is precisely my point. The legend of Arthur is one of the most enduring stories in human existence. It must be doing something right to have resonated with people for over a thousand years. Dismissing it as a product of more superstitious times is incredibly short-sighted. People are people and effective storytelling is effective storytelling. If Excalibur is an idea that has lasted that long without needing some in depth backstory then surely it's a demonstration of how an elaborate backstory isn't required for everything. But in this "content era" we'd probably have a spinoff series about the guy who forged Excalibur and one about the underwater adventures of the Lady of the Lake. This endless desire to have every vein of plot strip-mined for everything it can offer takes away so much soul and mystique from stories.
Sure but story telling has evolved over the times and now we often can't just say it's magic and expect it to be a satisfying explanation in modern stories/movies. I don't need 100% background info on the sword, just a little something more to elevate this sword to more than a simple plot device.
Muddies the water in a film you haven't seen. At the very least, consider that your initial limited impression may be an incomplete one.
Well, are there scenes where Gorr seems to have 2nd thoughts/doubts about his methods while he has the sword? He's barely in the movie from what I've gathered and we don't see him slaying gods apart from the 1st one. A missed opportunity IMO.
I realise that the youtuber approach doesn't really tend to go into the more allegorical side of things since they're not big on insight, so I doubt this is an aspect they touched on, but let's try this: the sword represents the grief and pain inside of him which he allows to consume him. Then, when it's time for the wish and he's faced with the choice of opening himself back up to loving someone again vs lashing out in pain to hurt others (which is something that's established as a theme earlier on in the film) he realises the error of his ways.
It's possible the YTers I listened to didn't pick this up/left it out, however I don't see how it would've changed the critiques of the movie: the sword is very mysterious which allows the writers to get a away easier with a lot of fast and lose story telling. For all we know the creators didn't even think as much about the sword as you just did. We don't know the origins of the sword so you're the one making good faith interpretations on behalf of the writers.

Last edited:

Doom85

Movies like Hereditary don't spoon feed their audience.

Viewer #1: Boy, sure was “convenient” that the daughter stuck her head out of the window at the right moment for her to collide with that telephone pole.
Viewer #2: Well, actually when they drove past it on the way to the party, that weird symbol was seen on it so presumably the cult did something that led to this.
#1: How would they know they’d drive this way? No one in the cult could have known about them going to the party since Peter only tells his mom about it shortly before leaving.
#2: I mean, we can tell based on the camera angles of certain shots that at least one cult member was always observing the house so it’s not unreasonable a cult being powered by denizens of Hell itself would be able to learn that info.
#1: No, no, no, NNNNOOOOO!!!!! Look, I can accept demons actually existing and possessing people, ghosts, people clinging to walls and floating in the air as they saw their own throat open, but I refuse to believe they could know the kids were going to that party unless they fully explain how the cult got that info!
#2: Wait a sec, Charlie was possessed by Paimon so maybe Paimon can speak to the cult telepathically in some way.
#1: BUT WE DON’T SEE THAT AND I NEED THIS FILM TO HALT ITS AMBIENCE AND MYSTERY TO SHOW ME EXACTLY HOW THE CULT GOT A PIECE OF INFO!!!!!

DKehoe

DKehoe DKehoe you are fanwanking the movie into something that makes sense. It's a POSSIBLE explanation but the film as presented in theater very little of what you describe is actually on screen and explained.

Maybe there'll be a directors cut with more footage to make it more clear what is the sword's will and what was just Gorrs dysfunction. Maybe the nature of these weapons will come to light later on. Maybe he had an entire guerilla warfar plan to kill God's to draw out Thor to get stormbringer but it seems like he could have saved a lot of time by hitting new Asgard right off the bat if his ultimate goal was Eternia.
What's fanwanking about it? I didn't even particularly like the film. Of the stuff I talked about what wasn't there? I don't feel like I was digging particularly deep with my interpretation.

I just don't see the need to have things spelled out in exact detail. Is it really so hard to look at Gorr's arc and see it as a cautionary tale about the damage that grief can do to a person and how him embracing the sword represents that? And this is an MCU film. We're not talking about particularly deep material here. It seems like audiences these days are getting more and more hesitant to engage with a piece of media beyond the shallowest level and that if everything isn't laid out for them then that's a failing of that media.

DKehoe

So it should've been built up better, have him do things that make less and less sense signifying the corruption taking hold of him instead of the leap we get in the movie.

It's not a given that people struck with grief turn into villains. If that's the sword's specialty then that deserves some explanation with a little lore on the sword's origin. Now it's just a simple plot device to quickly get a powerful villain to jump start the story.(aka rushed)
So say he goes from killing one god he had a direct connection with, to then going on a campaign to kill all gods to then explicit hypocrisy with him kidnapping children despite being motivated by the loss of his own child. There's your escalation. But you haven't seen the film.

I never said it was a given that people who are grieving turn to villains. As I said like a lot of villains Gorr is set up to be a counterpoint to the hero. Thor's response to loss is established as a theme early on in the film. Gorr shows how badly that can go. He's a potential path. That there are alternatives is kind of the point. The contrast in the two characters is what it's about, not the origin of the magic sword.

Doesn't really change much for my statement that he was guided to it and the convenience of the situation(the god not showing any concern about the sword's future and being a jerk).
It's convenient that the god was arrogant? Throughout the film we see a bunch of arrogant gods who are detached from the lives of regular people. It's a consistent aspect of the film. The obvious example being Zeus. Here's this guy who is Thor's hero, someone he looked up to and modeled himself after. But the reality is Zeus is more concerned with organising an orgy than looking out for the wellbeing of others and is too arrogant to consider the possibility that someone could pose a threat to him or, from how he urges Thor to remain in the safety of his city, perhaps too scared to face a serious challenge. Again he's a character positioned in contrast to Thor. Thor may have looked up to this guy but as a person he's surpassed him, and it's his willingness to get out there, engage with people and make a difference that does that.

Issue is how fast the corruption happens. Maybe the sword is just that good at corrupting, it's not really interesting character development for a villain.

The way you described it makes it seem the sword has its own agenda which could've made the story more interesting. A little lore on the sword could've been a benefit for the movie.
There was a sequence where the sword laid out its plan. It might be you missed it because you haven't seen this film. Or would you have preferred an extended section about people who wouldn't feature in the rest of the film? Would that have helped you better enjoy a film you haven't seen?

Sure but story telling has evolved over the times and now we often can't just say it's magic and expect it to be a satisfying explanation in modern stories/movies. I don't need 100% background info on the sword, just a little something more to elevate this sword to more than a simple plot device.
Did your enjoyment of Star Wars benefit from having midichlorians explained to you? Is that what we as a modern audience need?

Nothing wrong with a simple plot device. Hitchcock used MacGuffins all the time.

Well, are there scenes where Gorr seems to have 2nd thoughts/doubts about his methods while he has the sword? He's barely in the movie from what I've gathered and we don't see him slaying gods apart from the 1st one. A missed opportunity IMO.

It's possible the YTers I listened to didn't pick this up/left it out, however I don't see how it would've changed the critiques of the movie: the sword is very mysterious which allows the writers to get a away easier with a lot of fast and lose story telling. For all we know the creators didn't even think as much about the sword as you just did. We don't know the origins of the sword so you're the one making good faith interpretations on behalf of the writers.
The sword represents the corruption. So it's once he's away from that and is then challenged to face the choice of what he wants (his daughter) or what the pain wants (to lash out) that you see the change. It's simple really

We see clips from his campaign across the galaxy and the corpse of one of the giant gods he kills. You maybe weren't aware of that since you haven't seen this film.

The theme of Thor needing to not close himself after loss is something that is explicitly talked about on multiple occasions. Acting as if the writers didn't mean for that to come up as a theme at the end when it had been so clearly established earlier on would seem to be acting in bad faith, especially since you haven't even seen the film so acting as if you know what they might have intended is strange. You say I'm acting in good faith towards the writers but again I actually didn't like the film so I have no reason to do so. I think the problems with it lie elsewhere than some of the lazy criticism I'm seeing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Show, don't tell is not always required. Viewers can use their brains to figure things out, we don't need to be spoon fed everything. Majority of highly reviewed films don't spoon feed their audience. Movies like Hereditary don't spoon feed their audience.

For some reason it becomes an issue when it's a summer blockbuster. I don't get it.
Eh, the film is just more interested in jokes than tackling more serious issues. That comic book Lore is inconsistent garbage isn't new either.

The bones of this film, with Bale as Gorr, could have been epic Dark Knight level good. Waititi just wasn't interested in making that film.

Ulysses 31

So say he goes from killing one god he had a direct connection with, to then going on a campaign to kill all gods to then explicit hypocrisy with him kidnapping children despite being motivated by the loss of his own child. There's your escalation. But you haven't seen the film.
If other gods were responsible for the drought then I could see Gorr wanting to deal with those gods too, now to just conclude every god anywhere is evil is such a big leap to make. I'd fix it with the god mentioning other gods in other places who're like him, jerks, at least that would make it easier to buy Gorr going after those too.

Or better yet, have the sword give Gorr visions of other gods mistreating/ignoring their followers in need. Whether those visions are true could be a question that would become more clear as the story progresses.
I never said it was a given that people who are grieving turn to villains. As I said like a lot of villains Gorr is set up to be a counterpoint to the hero. Thor's response to loss is established as a theme early on in the film. Gorr shows how badly that can go. He's a potential path. That there are alternatives is kind of the point. The contrast in the two characters is what it's about, not the origin of the magic sword.
Which would've been more powerful if the corrupting sword wasn't in the picture. We don't really know what agency Gorr has when he wields that sword.
It's convenient that the god was arrogant? Throughout the film we see a bunch of arrogant gods who are detached from the lives of regular people. It's a consistent aspect of the film. The obvious example being Zeus. Here's this guy who is Thor's hero, someone he looked up to and modeled himself after. But the reality is Zeus is more concerned with organising an orgy than looking out for the wellbeing of others and is too arrogant to consider the possibility that someone could pose a threat to him or, from how he urges Thor to remain in the safety of his city, perhaps too scared to face a serious challenge. Again he's a character positioned in contrast to Thor. Thor may have looked up to this guy but as a person he's surpassed him, and it's his willingness to get out there, engage with people and make a difference that does that.
Yes, when there's a weapon nearby that can kill you I'd take steps to dispose of it. The gods are played a bit one note in this movie, surely there's some variation in their characters. Thor not letting his disillusion in the gods detract from his heroism is not something I have any issues with and wouldn't expect him to have issues with if you've watched all other MCU movies with Thor.
There was a sequence where the sword laid out its plan. It might be you missed it because you haven't seen this film. Or would you have preferred an extended section about people who wouldn't feature in the rest of the film? Would that have helped you better enjoy a film you haven't seen?
If it fixes any of the issues I described I'm sure you'd let me know. But I suspect it doesn't since the sword's origin isn't in the movie. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Did your enjoyment of Star Wars benefit from having midichlorians explained to you? Is that what we as a modern audience need?

Nothing wrong with a simple plot device. Hitchcock used MacGuffins all the time.
It demystified the force sure but it didn't retroactively ruin the OT one bit for me. No movie/series does that. The Last Jedi didn't ruin Luke in OT for me either.
The sword represents the corruption. So it's once he's away from that and is then challenged to face the choice of what he wants (his daughter) or what the pain wants (to lash out) that you see the change. It's simple really

We see clips from his campaign across the galaxy and the corpse of one of the giant gods he kills. You maybe weren't aware of that since you haven't seen this film.
And up to that point he went along just fine with the sword, it devalues his "hard choice" at the end IMO.

So we don't see the actual slaying, just the aftermath. I wasn't mistaken.
The theme of Thor needing to not close himself after loss is something that is explicitly talked about on multiple occasions. Acting as if the writers didn't mean for that to come up as a theme at the end when it had been so clearly established earlier on would seem to be acting in bad faith, especially since you haven't even seen the film so acting as if you know what they might have intended is strange. You say I'm acting in good faith towards the writers but again I actually didn't like the film so I have no reason to do so. I think the problems with it lie elsewhere than some of the lazy criticism I'm seeing.
Thor has dealt with loss plenty of times before this movie, so that theme is a bit redundant if you've watched the other Thor movies and the Infinity Saga.

I was talking about your interpretation on how the sword uses pain/grief to corrupt and make its wielder do evil things. All we know for sure the swords corrupts, how (and why), was something you provided an explanation for which isn't really in the movie.
Character development in a villain? What character development is there for Darth Vader in A New Hope or Hans Gruber in Die Hard.

Jesus.
Conveniently leaving out TESB and ROTJ, are we?

Vader has little character in ANH because that movie was initially made as a one off. The other movies fleshed him out a lot more to the point he became an iconic villain with a redemption arc.

Hans Gruber was just a plain villain looking to rob a lot of money, not really a sympathetic motivation. Die Hard didn't try to make us feel something for him at the end other than "yeah, you got what you deserve.". Gorr has his prayers unanswered and loses a daughter at the beginning, that invokes some sympathy initially at least. That is a decent setup for antagonist but it goes off the deep end real quick.

sol_bad

Eh, the film is just more interested in jokes than tackling more serious issues. That comic book Lore is inconsistent garbage isn't new either.

The bones of this film, with Bale as Gorr, could have been epic Dark Knight level good. Waititi just wasn't interested in making that film.

There have been over 100 comic films, it's not easy to be as amazing as Spider-Man 2 and Dark Knight. It's a bit silly to compare every comic film to the crème de la crème.
Love and Thunder was never going to be on the same level as those 2 films, it's Taika Watiti unleashed just like MoM is Sam Raimi unleashed.
Kevin Feige seems to be allowing his directors take more control of their films, this is what fans wanted, now there is endless negativity on the internet about phase 4 which absolutely does not line up with real life.

Vader has little character in ANH because that movie was initially made as a one off. The other movies fleshed him out a lot more to the point he became an iconic villain with a redemption arc.

Love and Thunder isn't a one off film?

Ulysses 31

Both films were designed as a singular film and it's in A New Hope where Darth Vader became an iconic villain with zero motivations and zero background story.
So at least try to keep the villain interesting if it's going to be a one off, Vader had the mystique of that suit in ANH and force powers.

Gorr has a good setup who then comes across a mysterious weapon. The rest of the movie I hear wastes Christian Bale's acting abilities. He does good in the few scenes he's in but there's just too little of him overall in the movie.

sol_bad

So at least try to keep the villain interesting if it's going to be a one off, Vader had the mystique of that suit in ANH and force powers.

Gorr has a good setup who then comes across a mysterious weapon. The rest of the movie I hear wastes Christian Bale's acting abilities. He does good in the few scenes he's in but there's just too little of him overall in the movie.

That's exactly my point, there is absolutely nothing interesting about Vader for him to become so popular in ANH. It feels like these days people are just looking for things to complain about.
If you sit there and compare Gorr and Vader in ANH, Gorr is leaps and bounds a better a villain than Vader could ever hope to be. Clearer motivations, clearer backstory, actual acting from Christian Bale, far more menacing, everything across the board.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

That's exactly my point, there is absolutely nothing interesting about Vader for him to become so popular in ANH. It feels like these days people are just looking for things to complain about.
If you sit there and compare Gorr and Vader in ANH, Gorr is leaps and bounds better a villain than Vader could ever hope to better. Clearer motivations, clearer backstory, actual acting from Christian Bale, far more menacing, everything across the board.
Nothing character wise sure but he had screen presence and clearly established as someone not to mess with. Maybe back then it was enough to spark the imaginations of many people to make him popular.

Boba Fett was very popular too for the little development and screen time he had.

Sure, Gorr is better developed than just ANH Vader but why would we ignore the other OT movies at this point?

Last edited:

sol_bad

Nothing character wise sure but he had screen presence and clearly established as someone not to mess with. Maybe back then it was enough to spark the imaginations of many people to make him popular.

Boba Fett was very popular too for the little development and screen time he had.

Sure, Gorr is better developed than just ANH Vader but why would we ignore the other OT movies at this point?

Bringing the other movies into the equation doesn't change much. Pretty much the only character growth we get is that we learn that he is Luke's father but we don't know anything about Vader as a person and they have no relationship so why should we care that he is Luke's father? Vader also absolutely doesn't deserve a redemption arc after being a part of the Empire and letting thousands/millions/billions of people die, much like Kylo Ren doesn't deserve a redemption arc but people only complain about him and not Darth Vader.

Ulysses 31

Bringing the other movies into the equation doesn't change much. Pretty much the only character growth we get is that we learn that he is Luke's father but we don't know anything about Vader as a person and they have no relationship so why should we care that he is Luke's father?
I suspect it was because of the different times back then, SW was something unique and Vader really stood out because of his looks, force powers and lightsabre, not because of his character.

He does become more than that an empire henchman if we take all the OT movies. He's plotting to overthrow the emperor IIRC.

I think it's more from the perspective of Luke that he is his son and he's not evil like his father. So the hope was that Vader could eventually be turned against the emperor because the good things in Luke's character probably came from Vader.
Vader also absolutely doesn't deserve a redemption arc after being a part of the Empire and letting thousands/millions/billions of people die, much like Kylo Ren doesn't deserve a redemption arc but people only complain about him and not Darth Vader.
It was assumed that killing the emperor would bring peace to the galaxy so he did deserve some redemption in that regard though he would still be tried for war crimes of course. Owning up to your mistakes is a good character trait IMO. We can only speculate what fate would had in store for Vader if he'd survived ROTJ.

I've not kept up with what people say about Keylo Ren. Disney trilogy is something people like to forget. :messenger_winking_tongue:

TAF80FY.jpg

Both films were designed as a singular film and it's in A New Hope where Darth Vader became an iconic villain with zero motivations and zero background story.
Vader was iconic in ANH because Star Wars blew people's minds and he was part of the cultural zeitgeist of that film. If Vader was just another villain in a conveyor belt of content like the MCU no one would remember him. No one had seen anything like Star Wars before. In a vacuum, he was just a cool henchman of the Empire and wasn't special.

The subsequent films cemented his legacy.

DKehoe

If other gods were responsible for the drought then I could see Gorr wanting to deal with those gods too, now to just conclude every god anywhere is evil is such a big leap to make. I'd fix it with the god mentioning other gods in other places who're like him, jerks, at least that would make it easier to buy Gorr going after those too.

Or better yet, have the sword give Gorr visions of other gods mistreating/ignoring their followers in need. Whether those visions are true could be a question that would become more clear as the story progresses.

Which would've been more powerful if the corrupting sword wasn't in the picture. We don't really know what agency Gorr has when he wields that sword.

Yes, when there's a weapon nearby that can kill you I'd take steps to dispose of it. The gods are played a bit one note in this movie, surely there's some variation in their characters. Thor not letting his disillusion in the gods detract from his heroism is not something I have any issues with and wouldn't expect him to have issues with if you've watched all other MCU movies with Thor.

If it fixes any of the issues I described I'm sure you'd let me know. But I suspect it doesn't since the sword's origin isn't in the movie. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

It demystified the force sure but it didn't retroactively ruin the OT one bit for me. No movie/series does that. The Last Jedi didn't ruin Luke in OT for me either.

And up to that point he went along just fine with the sword, it devalues his "hard choice" at the end IMO.

So we don't see the actual slaying, just the aftermath. I wasn't mistaken.

Thor has dealt with loss plenty of times before this movie, so that theme is a bit redundant if you've watched the other Thor movies and the Infinity Saga.

I was talking about your interpretation on how the sword uses pain/grief to corrupt and make its wielder do evil things. All we know for sure the swords corrupts, how (and why), was something you provided an explanation for which isn't really in the movie.

Conveniently leaving out TESB and ROTJ, are we?

Hans Gruber was just a plain villain looking to rob a lot of money, not really a sympathetic motivation. Die Hard didn't try to make us feel something for him at the end other than "yeah, you got what you deserve.". Gorr has his prayers unanswered and loses a daughter at the beginning, that invokes some sympathy initially at least. That is a decent setup for antagonist but it goes off the deep end real quick.
I feel like we're just going round in circles here. And you not having seen the film makes it hard to be able to discuss it with you. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

AmuroChan

Saw it today. It was 6.5/10 for me. I think they overdid it with the slapstick. It was like the movie didn't take itself seriously, but then during the serious/emotional moments in the film it expected the audience to take them seriously. The movie was fine. It has its fun and cool moments, but ultimately it won't be a very memorable movie for me. IMO Ragnarok remains the best Thor movie by a good margin.

Sybrix

Not sure how I feel, the first half is too wacky, these comedic moments in MCU used to be subtle but now their so in your face they lose the comedic effect and just end up being stupid.

2nd half of the film was a lot better, overall it’s worth watching.

These recent MCU films have been meh so far

Ownage

Just wanted to add that with everything Thor lost in the MCU till now, Wanda’s pain feels like a walk in the park. Two imaginary children and her husband vs his father, mother, brother, love of his life, half of his population, his entire planet, Mjolnir …
One's a man. One's not.

Food for thought.

sol_bad

Not sure how I feel, the first half is too wacky, these comedic moments in MCU used to be subtle but now their so in your face they lose the comedic effect and just end up being stupid.

Keep in mind this is Taika's style.
Black Widow, Eternals, No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness were no where near as humorous. Some were basically humorless.

Locutus

Exactly how I felt. Hated the first half, really enjoyed the second half. The wacky bullshit was just way too thick in the first half. I couldn’t believe that they went from kids being kidnapped to Thor and Jane yucking it up about their dating history in nearly the same breath. The tone was was just too weird.

Billbofet

Saw this last night with my son. I found it to be very entertaining, but really, really dumb.
Thor comes across as a moron in service of making some laughs. Had this not been played as a comedy as much, it would have been a real slough.
This is the kind of movie I can't rewatch as now that I've seen the funnies, I would have to focus on the plot.

Glad I saw it, but it is bottom tier for sure. I also felt nothing emotionally at the end - which I am almost always a sucker for in these movies.

Tams

Just saw it after putting it off for a week (so I could see it with a friend).

Fucking A! Best trip to the cinema for me this year. Taika Waititi is the best thing to have happened to the MCU. Not to knock the cast, as they are all great too!

I loved the mix of really quite good serious moments with the outright absurdity, cheeseyness, self-referential, and self-deprecation of the rest of it. Fantastic music as well. I loved the twists in the plot too (sure, you could have guessed them if you really tried, but there's no fun in that). The references were great. I would have loved to have seen more gods though, like Amaterasu.

Perhaps you could level that there were a few too many silly bits and jokes, and fourth wall breaking and self-reference, but eh. Have fun rather than be a grumpy pants like that. And if you think that, do you remember the turds that were the first two 'dark' films?

Edit: And geez, too many of you here think too much. It's a superhero film. Chill.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Just saw it after putting it off for a week (so I could see it with a friend).

Fucking A! Best trip to the cinema for me this year. Taika Waititi is the best thing to have happened to the MCU. Not to knock the cast, as they are all great too!

I loved the mix of really quite good serious moments with the outright absurdity, cheeseyness, self-referential, and self-deprecation of the rest of it. Fantastic music as well. I loved the twists in the plot too (sure, you could have guessed them if you really tried, but there's no fun in that). The references were great. I would have loved to have seen more gods though, like Amaterasu.

Perhaps you could level that there were a few too many silly bits and jokes, and fourth wall breaking and self-reference, but eh. Have fun rather than be a grumpy pants like that. And if you think that, do you remember the turds that were the first two 'dark' films?

Edit: And geez, too many of you here think too much. It's a superhero film. Chill.
Likewise, best MCU film I saw. People complaining about humour do not understand this is done on purpose mirroring funk and punk of the 1980s, Far Cry: Blood Dragon is exactly the same.

Main bad guy had the right motivations and he was not a cartoon villain as all that crap - clear goals, not talking much, getting shit done.

Of course all the virgins expecting their comic book films to be Shawshank Redemption level deep discussion on people dressed in latex suits will complain. I would go as far as to say this is a comic book movie for people that do not like comic books.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

TIL people want character growth from comic book characters.

Regular Season Wtf GIF by NBA

Since when comic books started being serious shit?
Come on, Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Thor, Loki etc didn't have character arcs throughout the MCU movies or even in the comics?

They may not be oscar material but they have more depth than a puddle.

Last edited:
Watched it. I guess its the second best movie in this phase after Spider-Man but that aint saying much since we've been getting only nothing/boring shit with no future/direction. I give it a 7.5 or something cuz I laughed.

So for now Spider-Man(8'ish) >>> Thor(7'ish) > Shang-Chi(7'ish) >>> Dr Strange(6'ish) > Black Widow(6'ish) >>>> Eternals(pos).

I have no hope for Black Panther nor Ant-man being anything higher than 6/7 type of movies. I hope one of my favorites, Guardians does push it above Spider-Man but we'll see. The Marvels and Fantastic Four, eh, can;t say for now.

Young Avengers
Thunderbolts
Kang
Secret Wars

You might not care but you can't say there is no direction.

Well Phase 4 is the start of something new, just like Phase 1. It's interesting to watch people say the MCU has no direction when there's been hints put in. I have my own issues with Phase 4 but I'll say this that they still have a direction. It's like people just expect Infinity War/Endgame level events for every show and movie from Phase 4. When they have to focus on new heroes and build from there. I would rather they take their time. But as I said before Bob Chapak going to be a big problem. Also factor in the recent SJW/Feminazi agenda pushing in TFATWS and Black Widow. I think that's gonna screw them in the long run

Young Avengers
Thunderbolts
Kang
Secret Wars

Secret Wars is the one I'm going to be looking forward to the most since there's so much potential

As not just a Secret Wars Trilogy, a bunch of shows involving Secret Wars. But I think Bob Chapek cheapness is another factor in what's gonna be going against the MCU in the future

Last edited:

sol_bad

Well Phase 4 is the start of something new, just like Phase 1. It's interesting to watch people say the MCU has no direction when there's been hints put in. I have my own issues with Phase 4 but I'll say this that they still have a direction. It's like people just expect Infinity War/Endgame level events for every show and movie from Phase 4. When they have to focus on new heroes and build from there. I would rather they take their time. But as I said before Bob Chapak going to be a big problem. Also factor in the recent SJW/Feminazi agenda pushing in TFATWS and Black Widow. I think that's gonna screw them in the long run

Young Avengers
Thunderbolts
Kang
Secret Wars

Secret Wars is the one I'm going to be looking forward to the most since there's so much potential

As not just a Secret Wars Trilogy, a bunch of shows involving Secret Wars. But I think Bob Chapek cheapness is another factor in what's gonna be going against the MCU in the future

I honestly wouldn't care if the MCU never had a massive overarching story like the Infinity Saga ever again. I am perfectly fine with self contained stories with small cross references and guest appearances or cross overs here and there. Of course, I'm positive we are heading towards Secret Wars but no doubt, they must have an Avengers vs X-Men storyline brewing in their minds.

I honestly wouldn't care if the MCU never had a massive overarching story like the Infinity Saga ever again. I am perfectly fine with self contained stories with small cross references and guest appearances or cross overs here and there. Of course, I'm positive we are heading towards Secret Wars but no doubt, they must have an Avengers vs X-Men storyline brewing in their minds.

I'm fine with them taking their time to do another Endgame event. Secret Wars is going to be that. I'm happy that they are taking their time with the story.

ManaByte

I can see them doing a separate X-Men saga leading up to a big mutant event movie. Feige is smart enough to do Dark Phoenix RIGHT. A slow burn over 10+ movies.

sol_bad

I can see them doing a separate X-Men saga leading up to a big mutant event movie. Feige is smart enough to do Dark Phoenix RIGHT. A slow burn over 10+ movies.

After Ms. Marvel, I can see them introducing individual mutants during a few of the stand alone films and shows prior to doing an actual X-Men movie.

I hope Jean Grey dies at the end of his Dark Phoenix adaptation. Scott Summers deserves to be with Emma Frost than that Red headed Boring Sue :p

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I dunno but i am just so done with all super hero movies at this point, not just the Disney stuff.

This is one of the few times in my life i am not looking forward to any future movies at all. I feel like all the creativity and talent in Hollywood has been exhausted. Its dead to me.

Im actually getting more into low budget indie flicks and foreign films. Also going to try to revisit a lot of the horror flicks i missed from the early 2000s.

Last edited:

Ionian

I dunno but i am just so done with all super hero movies at this point, not just the Disney stuff.

This is one of the few times in my life i am not looking forward to any future movies at all. I feel like all the creativity and talent in Hollywood has been exhausted. Its dead to me.

Im actually getting more into low budget indie flicks and foreign films. Also going to try to revisit a lot of the horror flicks i missed from the early 2000s.

If you stuck to these films alone and not explored the vast amount of other films from studios/directors etc.

Well, you're a little late to the party but pull up a chair. We have such sights to show you.

Top Bottom