• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Apple VR leak shows real-life images of components ahead of release

https://www.imore.com/gaming/virtua...al-life-images-of-components-ahead-of-release
An insider on Twitter has posted real-life images that appear to reveal components of Apple's rumored virtual reality headset ahead of an upcoming announcement by Apple.

Images from Mr White on Twitter(opens in new tab), an insider with a track record of posting legitimate photos of Apple prototypes and Apple leaks, shared images that have since been reported as photos of components of Apple's upcoming VR headset.

The photos don't give away much about the design, but they do show a distinct eye-shaped design reminiscent of other virtual reality headsets, as well as connectors.

Apple VR, coming soon​

It comes as the announcement of Apple's VR headset is now seemingly imminent. A report this week revealed that CEO Tim Cook pushed the company towards the headset despite warnings that the company had not yet overcome some of the difficulties of the AR/VR space. Designers wanted to make a set of thin, light, mixed-reality glasses, however, Cook and COO Jeff Williams wanted to get to the market soon, hence the rumored ski goggle-like headset expected to feature 3D video, conference calling, and more.

Apple VR, dubbed Reality Pro in some reports, is expected to cost north of $3,000 and feature two 4K micro-LED displays for ultra-high fidelity viewing. Other rumors include a lightweight design of glass, mesh, and aluminum, as well as cameras for eye and body tracking. The headset will also feature external battery packs to reduce weight and make swapping batteries for longer play time easier.

Apple's rxOS operating system will reportedly feature the ability to run iOS apps and develop apps for virtual reality.

Recent rumors indicate Apple could announce Apple VR at WWDC 2023, but this does not guarantee a public release is close at hand. According to Mark Gurman, Apple was going to announce the headset at an event in April, previously.

Apple is also already reportedly working on a cheaper version of its headset alongside a second-generation iteration.
znpiSD5CG8C4pJvdozBCXY-970-80.jpg.webp

NC8rbXFhjHJ4gU65Ye7YWC-970-80.jpg.webp

Re58vix7N7G3w79MJQVbmC-970-80.jpg.webp

ateESkgG44bRPJRD9jGv6D-970-80.jpg.webp

After years of leaks we finally get a hardware related leak for Apple's upcoming VR headset.

Zucker could learn some lessons here about leak control.

it seems that the first image is clearly of the front lens. If you know anything about the 4th images connecter size, and go back to image 1, this is going to be a light and small headset. I would reckon in picture one horizontally you are looking at ~6-7 inches across based on the size of that part. Not Bigscreen beyond small but not far from it.

So this may barely even be a "headset" in this case closer to "glasses" or "goggles" really. This Apple VR is getting more interesting.

Last edited:

midnightAI

https://www.imore.com/gaming/virtua...al-life-images-of-components-ahead-of-release

znpiSD5CG8C4pJvdozBCXY-970-80.jpg.webp

NC8rbXFhjHJ4gU65Ye7YWC-970-80.jpg.webp

Re58vix7N7G3w79MJQVbmC-970-80.jpg.webp

ateESkgG44bRPJRD9jGv6D-970-80.jpg.webp

After years of leaks we finally get a hardware related leak for Apple's upcoming VR headset.

Zucker could learn some lessons here about leak control.

it seems that the first image is clearly of the front lens. If you know anything about the 4th images connecter size, and go back to image 1, this is going to be a light and small headset. I would reckon in picture one horizontally you are looking at ~6-7 inches across based on the size of that part. Not Bigscreen beyond small but not far from it.

So this may barely even be a "headset" in this case closer to "glasses" or "goggles" really. This Apple VR is getting more interesting.
How are you guessing the size based on some connectors, am I missing something?

How are you guessing the size based on some connectors, am I missing something?

I'm not guessing anything, that connection is common on electronic devices. Forgot the name exactly but if you cut that piece out and put it in reverse image search (or google) it'll come up and you'll see that the part I'm referencing is pretty small. So the fact it takes up that much on pic one, if you line it up across you aren't going to get more than 7 inches, likely less across.

A mans face itself is about 7 inches to 8 depending on the head. Seems like a curved front lends to go to a plate that fits in front of the eyes. Look at those arcs.

Like I said doesn't look to be as small as the Big Screen beyond headset, and it's more rounded, but it doesn't seem to be another helmet.

midnightAI

I'm not guessing anything, that connection is common on electronic devices. Forgot the name exactly but if you cut that piece out and put it in reverse image search (or google) it'll come up and you'll see that the part I'm referencing is pretty small. So the fact it takes up that much on pic one, if you line it up across you aren't going to get more than 7 inches, likely less across.

A mans face itself is about 7 inches to 8 depending on the head. Seems like a curved front lends to go to a plate that fits in front of the eyes. Look at those arcs.

Like I said doesn't look to be as small as the Big Screen beyond headset, and it's more rounded, but it doesn't seem to be another helmet.
But this is an internal component, it gives you no indication as to the size of the headset does it not?

I'm guessing it will be small, but I don't see how you can estimate the size based on these components.

MarkMe2525

WOW what a massive leak!!! We can now be confident that Apples upcoming headset is designed to fit a humans face.😁
Kidding aside, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I have been seeing coverage of this potential product ramping up recently, so I imagine it won't be too long before we get a look at it.

The Apple sheep.
I dunno man, people get the new iPhone every year because it's lumped into their monthly phone bill and they get a trade in credit. A VR headset is a lump sum purchase, and its trade in value will be dogshit when the next version comes out, because VR headsets are making major innovation and performance leaps between releases unlike phones.

Last edited:
But this is an internal component, it gives you no indication as to the size of the headset does it not?

I'm guessing it will be small, but I don't see how you can estimate the size based on these components.

But if the lens FRAME can fit across WITHIN your face, than that means the part where the eyes look through want be broad and won't be the typical size that most of the "helmet" vr headsets are.

If you look at other headsets, the lens frames are huge and have attachments tot he rest of what covers your forehead tot he top of your head, same for the bottom. But this doesn't have that, those frames are the end of the front of the headsets they are building around.

Now in terms of TOTAL size yes, we don't know, but we know from the front where you look through it's not going to be a helmet.

bitbydeath

North of 3K?

That's DOA on release. Who the hell is it for at that price?
I wouldn't judge until we see it.
Apple are the ones that make these tiny boxes (Mac Studio's) that performance-wise blow away a lot of full desktop-sized computers.
They know their Tech.

apple_mac_studio_5.jpg

Those are mics from the OG Homepod lol

7r6l05q7xo4x.jpeg

I think the shit tier blogs have been duped.

Homepod is just a circle, we have two connecting arches in image one and stand alone in image to for the eye shape, and as shown in image one they are only whole when both halves are together.

I highly doubt that there is a Dual homepod that's two homepods glued together.

I dunno man, people get the new iPhone every year because it's lumped into their monthly phone bill and they get a trade in credit. A VR headset is a lump sum purchase, and its trade in value will be dogshit when the next version comes out, because VR headsets are making major innovation and performance leaps between releases unlike phones.

Unless they subsidize it with retail partners.

Last edited:

Three

Homepod is just a circle, we have two connecting arches in image one and stand alone in image to for the eye shape, and as shown in image one they are only whole when both halves are together.

I highly doubt that there is a Dual homepod that's two homepods glued together.

Unless they subsidize it with retail partners.
What are you talking about? He's talking about this component
Image 1 is also two of the same component but one's flipped to show the other side.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? He's talking about this component

Image 1 is also two of the same component but one's flipped to show the other side.

Again there are two arcs. Unless there's a homepod that's two glued together it's not the homepod.

Reallink

North of 3K?

That's DOA on release. Who the hell is it for at that price?

The 100+ million strong professional class (who is already Apple's super majority customer). Well over 30% of US households earn over $100k/yr, $3000 is chump change to large swathes of the general population. Who do you think was paying $10K and $20K over sticker price for cars 6 months in advance, or paying $2000 for 3080's for 2 years. It wasn't billionaires or multi-millionaires, it was the massive population of "normal" people who earn ridiculous salaries. Reality is a lot of people earn a lot of money. Apple focuses on and capitalizes on this top 40% better than any company in the history of the world. You make way more selling to them at 300%+ margins, than selling at 20-30% margins to the bottom 60%. The pandemic has awoken many other companies to this reality, which is why so much stuff has doubled or tripled in price from 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Maybe they use the same mic components for both.

I thought about it but there's very few parts that Apple recycles through products instead of making bespoke ones for best fit, especially accross such different products like a stationary speaker to a VR headset, rather than like a 14" MBP and 16" MBP using one similar part

gothmog

Gold Member
If you're complaining about the price it's not for you. It's Apple. It probably has a few media related products that work amazing with it that makes it worth your company forking over that much money.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The 100+ million strong professional class (who is already Apple's super majority customer). Well over 30% of US households earn over $100k/yr, $3000 is chump change to large swathes of the general population. Who do you think was paying $10K and $20K over sticker price for cars 6 months in advance, or paying $2000 for 3080's for 2 years. It wasn't billionaires or multi-millionaires, it was the massive population of "normal" people who earn ridiculous salaries. Reality is a lot of people earn a lot of money. Apple focuses on and capitalizes on this top 40% better than any company in the history of the world. You make way more selling to them at 300%+ margins, than selling at 20-30% margins to the bottom 60%. The pandemic has awoken many other companies to this reality, which is why so much stuff has doubled or tripled in price from 2 or 3 years.

This thing will flop if it releases for one penny over $1999.99

midnightAI

But if the lens FRAME can fit across WITHIN your face, than that means the part where the eyes look through want be broad and won't be the typical size that most of the "helmet" vr headsets are.

If you look at other headsets, the lens frames are huge and have attachments tot he rest of what covers your forehead tot he top of your head, same for the bottom. But this doesn't have that, those frames are the end of the front of the headsets they are building around.

Now in terms of TOTAL size yes, we don't know, but we know from the front where you look through it's not going to be a helmet.
That's not the lens frame though, that is a ribbon cable, and even then the headset will be wider than the lenses. But the lens width is governed by maximum IPD and for this most headsets are about the same but each headset has different bulk. What I am saying is there are cables like that in all VR headsets, an internal cable cannot be used at all to determine the size, you can have a cable like that and still have it two meters wide (again, I do think it will be small though)

In fact, one thing I may be worried about here is that because both lens housings will be connected by a single ribbon cable does that mean that there is no IPD adjustment? (There probably is but we can't tell that from a couple of cables)

Top Bottom