• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Love and Thunder ⚡ impressions thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

Lady Jane

Banned
i85LeJg.jpg
cAuddci.jpg

Drinker is an idiot, says the play in L&T isn't needed and a single line of dialogue would have sufficed. The play in Ragnarok isn't needed either, Thor could have realised that Loki was in charge in any other number of ways. Fact of the matter is that Taika and co just wanted to have some fun in both films by poking fun at the previous film.

So this is the typical "lets give the director all the power, that'll play out well" scenario. Same thing happened to the prequel trilogy and WW1984.

sol_bad

So this is the typical "lets give the director all the power, that'll play out well" scenario. Same thing happened to the prequel trilogy and WW1984.

Indeedy, but unlike Patty Jenkins, Taika had 4 films under his belt that he wrote and directed with various critical acclaim. The creatives have been left off the chains as a hole during phase 4. Not every film will stick.

That's the price to be paid for breaking out of the mould so to say. None of the MCU films can be considered failures though except maybe Eternals, nay not have been as much of a failure if it was released this year instead of last year.

FunkMiller

Indeedy, but unlike Patty Jenkins, Taika had 4 films under his belt that he wrote and directed with various critical acclaim. The creatives have been left off the chains as a hole during phase 4. Not every film will stick.

I think often the problem is when these directors are given extremely large budgets and no oversight. Brings out the worst in them every time.

Sgt.Asher

I watched it over the weekend, some parts are okay but godamn does it drag on and on. 1/3 of the movie could of been cut with zero effect on the plot.

DKehoe

:messenger_poop:

You have to care about what you're making for it to stand a chance at being any good. The director should care the most, not the least.

Considering the stuff that's come out about how shittily Marvel treats VFX artists it really sucks to see a director, the guy that's the driving creative force of the project, shit on the work of people who probably worked really fucking hard to make that film, one that is heavily reliant on CGI, what it is. It's one thing for any of us or critics to say we thought the CGI looked shitty and bad CGI often isn't a reflection of the artist actually being unskilled anyway. But on some level those artists bought into his vision and sunk their time and skills into it so the very least he can do is not be a dick about it.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Considering the stuff that;s come out about how shittily Marvel treats VFX artists it really sucks to see a director, the guy that's the driving creative force of the project, shit on the work of people who probably worked really fucking hard to make that film, one that is heavily reliant on CGI, what it is. It's one thing for any of us or critics to say we thought the CGI looked shitty and bad CGI often isn't a reflection of the artist actually being unskilled anyway. But on some level those artists bought into his vision and sunk their time and skills into it so the very least he can do is not be a dick about it.
Yeah. He's the project leader with thousands of cast and crew under him. There's a responsibility to take the project seriously to ensure that it reflects well on the people whose careers are on the line, and there's a responsibility to treat the crew with respect for all the hard work they're putting in to realize his creative vision.

I don't get the sense that any of that is happening per this video.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yeah. He's the project leader with thousands of cast and crew under him. There's a responsibility to take the project seriously to ensure that it reflects well on the people whose careers are on the line, and there's a responsibility to treat the crew with respect for all the hard work they're putting in to realize his creative vision.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen Ridley Scott or Scorsese or Tarintino etc. do these kinds of videos. I'm not saying Taika isn't talented but there's a gulf in professionalism between these directors and the greats.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Love & Thunder struck me as the product of a guy that's lost all perspective and bought way too much into his own hype. I really like Ragnarok a lot but this felt like he saw the positive response from that and decided to quadruple down on the aspects it introduced. He now has this big fan following for his persona and interviews like these (and this isn't the only one where I got this impression) make it seem like he thinks that he, not the film, is the attraction. That he's so quirky that being irreverent about everything even extends to his own work and he will throw it under the bus to make himself look cool. And that'd be fine if it was a painting, book or some other work that he was the sole creator of but like you say thousands of people had input on this. There's probably some VFX artist who worked long hours for relatively poor pay who really sacrificed to help make this film happen, put themselves through hell during the production doing crunch but at the end of it they get to say they worked on a big Marvel movie and they or their kids think that's pretty cool. And then they see this.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen Ridley Scott or Scorsese or Tarintino etc. do these kinds of videos. I'm not saying Taika isn't talented but there's a gulf in professionalism between these directors and the greats.
Imagine someone like Scorsese basically admitting they weren't paying attention during the edit.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Tried to watch this on Disney+ again and nope, still can't make myself sit through all the cringe and horrible "humor".

I have no doubt that this is by far, the worst MCU movie. I can at least sit through Thor: Dark World, at least I'll just be bored, not wanting to shoot myself.

What kind of people "enjoy" this kind of stuff? Must be the same type of people who liked Rings of Power?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So rock guy has two dads retconned in when Ragnarok in the circle room thingy, he told Thor "Me mum's boyfriend..."

jason10mm

Gold Member

:messenger_poop:

You have to care about what you're making for it to stand a chance at being any good. The director should care the most, not the least.

All the reshoots certainly explains the disjointed nature of the film. How the hell they can't make a crude animatronic version of the film with all the dialogue in there just to make sure IT MAKES SENSE still baffles me.

"Here is 200 mill, good luck, funny man!"

And damn, if that is how Taika is ALL THE TIME, sheesh. Drop the act dude, even if for just 11 minutes.

Top Bottom