• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro is TGA's 2019 GOTY

TagZ

Definitely from’s worst game this generation. Just too tough and the AI is not the best either.

Strange, I always see souls fans say Sekiro is easier than the rest.

On another note, about having multiple game difficulties. I don't get it. The way I see it, maybe a weird example, was from watching Final Table show.

The chef came out delivering his dish, to finish it in front of his diners. Forcing them in a sense to eat the dish how the chef intended.

From games are made the way they are to entertain the player in a specific way. With a challenge that pushes you to learn. Analyze your situation.

You banging your head doing the same thing 80 times is kinda crazy when you were already told with death 1 that you're doing it wrong.

In my opinion those who advocate for From to change their stance on difficulty, are assholes.

Don't like it? Don't play it. Money will talk, so in then end they get to keep making their games or will have to accommodate those who cry and aren't willing to meet the challenge.

I love Sekiro and I'm wrapping up my third play through.

Strange, I always see souls fans say Sekiro is easier than the rest.

On another note, about having multiple game difficulties. I don't get it. The way I see it, maybe a weird example, was from watching Final Table show.

The chef came out delivering his dish, to finish it in front of his diners. Forcing them in a sense to eat the dish how the chef intended.

From games are made the way they are to entertain the player in a specific way. With a challenge that pushes you to learn. Analyze your situation.

You banging your head doing the same thing 80 times is kinda crazy when you were already told with death 1 that you're doing it wrong.

In my opinion those who advocate for From to change their stance on difficulty, are assholes.

Don't like it? Don't play it. Money will talk, so in then end they get to keep making their games or will have to accommodate those who cry and aren't willing to meet the challenge.

It's easier to people who GET the type of gameplay it offers better. The thing is that in general it's not easier, there's far less options than in a Souls game where you can easily level up more, use a different weapon, use a different build, etc. if you're stuck on an enemy. Bloodborne had some of the specificity of Sekiro, though, like the first big hurdle for many Bloodborne players was Father Gascione because he requires good parry skills, it's very hard to beat him without being good at using the parry. To me this is nearly all bosses in Sekiro, they have a specific way to handle them, in Souls games there was often a "best" way but rarely a specific way. There were far more aspects contributing to how difficult something was and so many more ways to compensate for how hard something was. Some people considered Bloodborne the hardest From game, I considered it the easiest though because Bloodborne is designed around NOT using a shield and playing aggressively and that was how I played the Dark Souls games already. But I recognize that's just my personal take and that anyone who played Souls slowly, methodically and with lots of blocking would need an adjustment to Bloodborne's style.

Hostile_18

Banned

WTF no need for that attitude.

I loved Dark Souls-Bloodborne, couldn't get far into Sekiro with the difficulty so it was a waste of money for a game I wanted to enjoy.

Your right in one sense though... money talks. I won't be buying a Sekiro 2.

I don't get the dickish attitude that an extra mode that allows a wider range of people to enjoy a game skilled players enjoy would ever be a bad thing. While I do understand the argument that the art would suffer for it, it's not an opinion I share.

I think it's a lack of empathy for others personally. What is a challenge for one person, is an insurmountable challenge for another, or simply difficult to the point of not been fun/entertaining.

"Every game isn't for everyone" is what keeps getting brought up but as I mentioned earlier that only works one way. Skilled players can play anything they want, those less so, lose out on games they would have otherwise been interested in.

I think it's a sign of the maturing medium where accessibility options should be considered for every game. I'd be hard pressed to believe developers don't want their art to be experienced by as many people as possible.

Even though I love them, I think in this case From Software actually did a disservice to a portion of their fans by setting the single difficulty level so high.

I agree the attitude is unnecessary but being totally honest making devs create a whole new game mode isn't as easy as it sounds and when it is easy (removing enemies, lowering health bars) it often doesn't consider the balance being ruined.

TagZ

WTF no need for that attitude.

I loved Dark Souls-Bloodborne, couldn't get far into Sekiro with the difficulty so it was a waste of money for a game I wanted to enjoy.

Your right in one sense though... money talks. I won't be buying a Sekiro 2.

I don't get the dickish attitude that an extra mode that allows a wider range of people to enjoy a game skilled players enjoy would ever be a bad thing. While I do understand the argument that the art would suffer for it, it's not an opinion I share.

I think it's a lack of empathy for others personally. What is a challenge for one person, is an insurmountable challenge for another, or simply difficult to the point of not been fun/entertaining.

"Every game isn't for everyone" is what keeps getting brought up but as I mentioned earlier that only works one way. Skilled players can play anything they want, those less so, lose out on games they would have otherwise been interested in.

I think it's a sign of the maturing medium where accessibility options should be considered for every game. I'd be hard pressed to believe developers don't want their art to be experienced by as many people as possible.

Even though I love them, I think in this case From Software actually did a disservice to a portion of their fans by setting the single difficulty level so high.

I'm not trying to personally attack you, so I do apologise in some sense, but I stand by what I said overall.

You said the game was too hard for you. You said you understand the argument that the art would suffer.

That is the reason for my post. Maybe I was too blunt. But you are wanting From to bend their artistic choice or design to fit around you?

A great community has been created due to the difficulty and challenge that is From games. There is always someone willing to help you overcome an obstacle. I'll even extend a helping hand to you if you would like.

No hostility intended. I stand by my opinion, that people have no right to demand someone change their vision of what they've created to accommodate others.

Hostile_18

Banned
I agree the attitude is unnecessary but being totally honest making devs create a whole new game mode isn't as easy as it sounds and when it is easy (removing enemies, lowering health bars) it often doesn't consider the balance being ruined.

I think of it like this. Maybe an "easy" mode that gives the player say 50% more health (so no in depth retooling needed) might make the delicate balance say 10% worse overall. But for someone that can have a 10% worse experience or no experience at all that's still a big win. At the end of the day both types of gamer are been entertained/moved for their money and time.

Maybe after a novice beats this easy mode they feel encouraged to tackle the next difficulty up :)

SleepDoctor

Banned
I dont know how Control was in the running anyway. I have tried to play the game on 3 seperate occasions now and i cant get more than 2 hours in before i'm bored to tears.

How far in are you? I was bored at first but it just got better after the first mission i believe. Once you start getting upgrades.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm not trying to personally attack you, so I do apologise in some sense, but I stand by what I said overall.

You said the game was too hard for you. You said you understand the argument that the art would suffer.

That is the reason for my post. Maybe I was too blunt. But you are wanting From to bend their artistic choice or design to fit around you?

A great community has been created due to the difficulty and challenge that is From games. There is always someone willing to help you overcome an obstacle. I'll even extend a helping hand to you if you would like.

No hostility intended. I stand by my opinion, that people have no right to demand someone change their vision of what they've created to accommodate others.

Thank you for taking the time to explain/expand.

I don't want them to design a game around me more I'd like each game to be open to everyone to some extent. I do think that unlike Dark souls even with help of the community the challenge is perhaps too high, especially for those that arnt as quick at reactions. Earlier From games had a variety of ways to tackle any given problem so they always seemed more forgiving. I also think the the line between challenge and frustration is a thin one and for me at least Sekiro goes to far in one direction.

I think users and artist relationships in gaming is unique and interesting. While not difficulty related there is the whole Mass Effect 3 ending saga that pressured Bioware into changing the ending to satisfy fans, or like wise BattleFront 2 and its "pride and accomplishment" grinding fans hated. How much fan opinion matters on a consumed piece of art is certainly a complicated topic.

For me though I'm only talking about *adding* in options for the benefit of some players, not taking away from any mode or effecting other peoples enjoyment in any way. :)

Last edited:

royox

I don't want them to design a game around me more I'd like each game to be open to everyone to some extent.

Not all the games have to be for everybody. There are bizillions of games with "Easy modes" in the market, FromSoft games are famous for being hard games without difficulty settings, It's the main selling point. If you consider those games are too hard just get one of the other million games that have easy mode. I don't like Sport games and you won't see me asking for "Football games to be open to everyone so I can like them". I just don't buy Sport games.

Not every gamer is super informed like us, many will buy the game just because it looks like a good time.

Literally their problem if they decide to expend 60 bucks on a game and they don't inform themselves of what are they going to buy,

TagZ

Thank you for taking the time to explain/expand.

I don't want them to design a game around me more I'd like each game to be open to everyone to some extent. I do think that unlike Dark souls even with help of the community the challenge is perhaps too high, especially for those that arnt as quick at reactions. Earlier From games had a variety of ways to tackle any given problem so they always seemed more forgiving. I also think the the line between challenge and frustration is a thin one and for me at least Sekiro goes to far in one direction.

I think users and artist relationships in gaming is unique and interesting. While not difficulty related there is the whole Mass Effect 3 ending saga that pressured Bioware into changing the ending to satisfy fans, or like wise BattleFront 2 and its "pride and accomplishment" grinding fans hated. How much fan opinion matters on a consumed piece of art is certainly a complicated topic.

For me though I'm only talking about *adding* in options for the benefit of some players, not taking away from any mode or effecting other peoples enjoyment in any way. :)

But when beating these games you in a sense join a club. You walked the same line and challenges your fellow From family have done.

The whole point of the games in my opinion is the satisfaction of finally defeating that specific boss, beating the game or overcoming the challenge. Lowering the difficulty completely removes that.

If you want a story mode like jedi fallen order, you could just watch a cut together movie on YouTube.

Allrighty....

Irithyll of The Boreal Valley is probably the most awe inspiring scenery I've seen this generation.

There are games more technically advanced but From Software artistic prowess COMBINED with a good enough (good not great since we are familiar with their engine's limitations both in rendering and image quality and framerate) engine JUST MAKE MY JAW DROP.

The geometry density, the decent to great textures and the atmosphere is fucking amazing.

The contrast between the blue-ish mountains/castles in the background and the pitchblack starrysky and moving clouds is worth taking a sceenshot and hanging in a picture in my wall. I just called my wife and said: "look at that!".

Anor Londo, step aside...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't want them to design a game around me more I'd like each game to be open to everyone
Then let ask you this, why not make FFXIV have offline mode for someone like me who doesn’t like to play with others and don’t have to pay subscription? Why not have MK11 have none gore mode because I don’t like it’s excessive gore? To me games are at their best when don’t try to please everybody and focus and designed for specific experience.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Then let ask you this, why not make FFXIV have offline mode for someone like me who doesn’t like to play with others and don’t have to pay subscription? Why not have MK11 have none gore mode because I don’t like it’s excessive gore? To me games are at their best when don’t try to please everybody and focus and designed for specific experience.
There is a difference between opening to everyone and just building a game for the hardcore masochists. If you make a game where the average person on this forum can't get halfway through you failed. You can include an elitist mode for people who want to feel special for being hardcore masochists. You can make a game hard, rewarding but be reasonable with the default difficulty. You should not use professional gamers only to tune the difficulty of your game. I knew that the second I the game popped up. It be on my hell no not in a million years list with the souls games. If I wanted to torture my self I do it the fun way in the bedroom lol.

Last edited:

Danjin44

There is a difference between opening to everyone and just building a game for the hardcore masochists. If you make a game where the average person on this forum can't get halfway through you failed. You can include an elitist mode for people who want to feel special for being hardcore masochists. You can make a game hard, rewarding but be reasonable with the default difficulty. You should not use professional gamers only to tune the difficulty of your game. I knew that the second I the game popped up. It be on my hell no not in a million years list with thr souls games. If I wanted to torture my self I do it the fun way in the bedroom lol.
But it didn't fail, it sold well and lot of other people loved the game. Also my skill in gaming is pretty average but I still mange to beat it and get platinum for it. I like game's difficulty because it fun and if someone doesn't find fun then thats their taste, we bunch of different games out there for different taste.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Purchased Sekiro late last night and excited to suffer the consequences. I've been researching basic tips thus far avoiding anything spoilery or too much.

I'm going to take the time to git gud on this one

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There is a difference between opening to everyone and just building a game for the hardcore masochists. If you make a game where the average person on this forum can't get halfway through you failed. You can include an elitist mode for people who want to feel special for being hardcore masochists. You can make a game hard, rewarding but be reasonable with the default difficulty. You should not use professional gamers only to tune the difficulty of your game. I knew that the second I the game popped up. It be on my hell no not in a million years list with the souls games. If I wanted to torture my self I do it the fun way in the bedroom lol.

The average Gaffer Gits Gud.

Hostile_18

Banned
How many of Sekiros players got very far though? How many bought it based on From's previous output?

I think if Sekiro got a sequel its sales would be significantly less than the first game tbh. That's not to take away from the game but it's got a very high learning curve that many simply can't meet.

Danjin44

How many of Sekiros players got very far though? How many bought it based on From's previous output?

I think if Sekiro got a sequel its sales would be significantly less than the first game tbh. That's not to take away from the game but it's got a very high learning curve that many simply can't meet.
In my opinion not really, especially compare to games Bayonetta, Astral Chain and DMC the combat is much more simple and timing for parry is very generous.

But what I can see here is people who used to play Souls and Bloodborne rely too much on summoning other players when boss gets to tough for them, for me I always played both Souls and Bloodborne offline and beat all the bosses alone.

Also Sekiro is can be tough but it not anywhere close to games like Catherine and Astral Chain's post game battles. I don't know why people feel like Sekiro has this pro level difficulty and trust me when I say my skill in gaming is not anywhere near close to pro level.

TagZ

Sekiro was my first FromSoftware game. I bought Dark Souls and Bloodborne as soon as I finished my first run with Sekiro.

I think Sekiro has better gameplay than both the other 2 series. /hidesbehindrock

What is the high learning curve though? My first run I just spammed block to deflect barely used any of the prosthetics.

Lady Butterfly for example is basically spam deflect during combo then jump for unblockable. Use snap seed during the adds phase. Rinse repeat.

May ask where you got up to?

Less than half of all Bloodborne players ever beat the first boss, the final boss that has a trophy attached to it less than 25% of players have beaten. A lot of Sekiro's are hidden for me since I didn't beat it but on PSN 35% of players have traveled to every area in the game. 61% of players have beaten the first Sekiro boss with a trophy attached, a good deal more than Bloodborne. This doesn't necessarily mean Sekiro is easier than Bloodborne, it can also be attributable to more people having played Bloodborne than Sekiro but it's an interesting fact to consider when claiming Sekiro is too difficult compared to other From games.

Hostile_18

Banned
So I've beaten Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1-3 and DLCs no problems, some bosses solo, others not.

Other games I've done things like Crushing and Grounded runs in Uncharted 1-4 and Last of us Respectively.

Sekiro I got to the boss that jumps in the air and throws knives and also beat that big boss in the courtyard that is surrounded by normal enemies. I think there was a general I beat as well just before the big snake.

I enjoyed some parts of it quite alot, but would often hit a brick wall where the gameplay loop of dying at the same point for hours on end wasnt fun.

I think I must just suck at timing or reacting to different moves quick enough as I don't feel like I'm an unskilled gamer.

TagZ

So I've beaten Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1-3 and DLCs no problems, some bosses solo, others not.

Other games I've done things like Crushing and Grounded runs in Uncharted 1-4 and Last of us Respectively.

Sekiro I got to the boss that jumps in the air and throws knives and also beat that big boss in the courtyard that is surrounded by normal enemies. I think there was a general I beat as well just before the big snake.

I enjoyed some parts of it quite alot, but would often hit a brick wall where the gameplay loop of dying at the same point for hours on end wasnt fun.

I think I must just suck at timing or reacting to different moves quick enough as I don't feel like I'm an unskilled gamer.

Yea it sounds like you're on Lady Butterfly and that guy before her is the drunkard. I forget his full name. Hinata estate.

I think the big problem I had with her originally was not having any snap seed for the add phase, ghosts or something like that.

You could buy some more snap seed from one of the vendors. I think there is one in Ashina outskirts?

If you don't want to bother buying more like I did originally. You can just keep running around the area until she calls them away.

Basically she does combos that you deflect spam (keep tapping block). Then you follow up with a few slashes.

When she goes up in the air just block the throwing knives. She'll then do the unblockable (red kanji) sign, jumping to your location. Just dodge that with (circle or B) and follow up with a few slashes again. Just stay patient and you'll burn her down.

I may not be 100% accurate there but I'll check it up if you want to give it a go.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Yea it sounds like you're on Lady Butterfly and that guy before her is the drunkard. I forget his full name. Hinata estate.

I think the big problem I had with her originally was not having any snap seed for the add phase, ghosts or something like that.

You could buy some more snap seed from one of the vendors. I think there is one in Ashina outskirts?

If you don't want to bother buying more like I did originally. You can just keep running around the area until she calls them away.

Basically she does combos that you deflect spam (keep tapping block). Then you follow up with a few slashes.

When she goes up in the air just block the throwing knives. She'll then do the unblockable (red kanji) sign, jumping to your location. Just dodge that with (circle or B) and follow up with a few slashes again. Just stay patient and you'll burn her down.

I may not be 100% accurate there but I'll check it up if you want to give it a go.

Thanks for the info . I think I did get to one of her final phases. I might give the game a go again sometime and report back.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I feel like I've been preparing for Sekiro for the past year with over 300+ hours of playing Mordhau in third person, this is basically the exact combat actually more simplified in Sekiro than I've been dealing with.

Okay question.....I like to pause a lot in the sense like I get interrupted when trying to watch cut scene. Is there a way to pause or rewatch them because I've tried the Options button which blows right through it or hitting the PS button which takes out of game, both skip right through cut scenes

Is there a way to rewatch cut scenes if you missed what transpired or are you fubar? I had to restart the first mission twice because of it lol so I wanna know what to be prepared for.

After dabbling in Nioh and loving the sound/theme this game is already my favorite From game, just love everything about it sans FUCKING CUT SCENES!

Less than half of all Bloodborne players ever beat the first boss,

Out of curiosity I took a look at the trophies for Bloodborne:

Cleric Beast is at 48.8% and Father Gascoigne is at 45.6%. IIRC while it's more likely for people to encounter CB as their first boss, it was entirely possible to encounter FG first.

Out of curiosity I took a look at the trophies for Bloodborne:

Cleric Beast is at 48.8% and Father Gascoigne is at 45.6%. IIRC while it's more likely for people to encounter CB as their first boss, it was entirely possible to encounter FG first.

This is true but my point would still sortof be the same.

Grinchy

Banned
With Bloodborne being a free Plus game, I'm shocked that even 50% have credit for beating the first boss. That percentage is actually high if you look at other trophy percentages of even much easier games.

Here's a crazy example. In Terraria, if you start the game and talk to the Guide, you can begin a tutorial and it gives you a trophy. Only 48% of people have this. There's a trophy for surviving the first night, which you could get by starting the game up, walking upstairs, not touching the controller, and just letting the day/night cycle happen once. Only 74% of people have this trophy.

I don't know who these people are who buy a game, boot it up, immediately close it once it loaded, and then never touch it again, but they come in significant percentages.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
All this talk of Sekiro and Bloodborne makes me wanna go back. I need to finish the cod and gears campaigns first or at least one of them lol.

I never finished the old hunters dlc on bloodborne although I did about 3 or 4 playthroughs on the game.

This is true but my point would still sortof be the same.

Honestly I wasn't bothered about your point in that post. The main thing that caught my eye was that first sentence cause I've never paid attention to those numbers so I decided to see the actual numbers and included both for the reason stated therein.

In fact, my entire post had all of my reasoning: "Out of curiosity" and the bit about either boss being people's first.

Last edited:

jadefire66

This was basically me until someone told me what the trick of the game is. It makes all the difference in the world. So in a nutshell:

- The combat in this game is a rhythm game. You need to always be aggressive and attack the enemy until he deflects (loud sound with shiny visual effect), then STOP and WAIT for his attack, then try to deflect it.

-- If you succeed in deflecting, it's your turn to attack again, and so on.

--- If an enemy chooses not to attack after you deflect, quickly attack him again.

- If they use a Mikiri move (red sign above head), you might be able to just interrupt them by attacking immediately. Try it out, it will work with some enemies. If it doesn't work, you will have to either jump or dodge the attack.

- Lastly, lots of enemies' attacks can be interrupted if you hit them before they hit you. But some enemies' attacks cannot be interrupted (they have "hyper armor") and you should get out of the way if you see them coming. The very first miniboss does this and teaches players the wrong thing imo.

And for the Lady Butterfly boss that I assume you are stuck on: leave her for later. She is optional and you should have at least 3 Attack Power before you fight her - this stat makes a huge difference.

And yeah the game is harder than DS+BB combined imo. Probably the hardest 3D game I've ever played.

Last edited:

Phase

I never finished the old hunters dlc on bloodborne although I did about 3 or 4 playthroughs on the game.
giphy.gif

Saruhashi

Banned

"If you make a game where the average person on this forum can't get halfway through you failed."

What if the intention was to make a game that the average person can't easily get through though?

This is really the bit I don't get.

Who are you to say what a game should or should not be?
Who are you to dictate what a developer should or should not want to do with their game?

If the game flops and doesn't sell well then that lands on the developer.
The developer can say "damn we wanted to make more money, what should we do"?
Then your advice might come in useful.

On the other hand if the developer is saying "this is what we intended to make" then you don't have any thing other than "you shouldn't do that".

royox

"I think I must just suck at timing or reacting to different moves quick enough as I don't feel like I'm an unskilled gamer."

No, what happens is that you are trying to play the game as a Souls or Bloodborne (dw, I did the same mistake and most of players also did).

Every boss, every "general" has a big weakness or an "easy mode" and usually it's very obvious.

For the Drunk General? Atract him to the water zone (he has a longer sigh distance so he can see you before the grunts), then hide, when he turns around to go back to his original position sneak behind him and do an "execution" to get rid of one whole life bar. Then run to that samurai you can talk to and deal with the remaining life bar with him.
ALSO, he's bulnerable to fire (he's all wet in sake), if you use a burning attack on him he will be stunned for some seconds.

For Lady Butterfly: Easyest-boss-of-the-game. Stop playing as a Souls game, this game punishes the "I dodge and strike twice" tactic. Be FULL offensive. Most bosses have a parry/counter pattern very easy to tell (you will hear a diferent metal sound when your swords clash, that means the boss parried and is going to attack). I think Lady's pattern was 1 parry+counter every 2 hits so what you should do is "hit hit, block, hit hit, block, hit hit, block" till you lower her HP and Posture.
Another thing, she's very VERY weak to shurikens when she's jumping. Every time you see her "flying" throw a shuriken and she will fall and get stunned for some good sword hits.
During the ghost phase just run around at full speed, they disapear after some seconds.

It's a game that punishes defensive gameplay. Offensive is the key.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lady Butterfly is tough! i remember her being a roadblock my first time through. keep at it, you can do it! pretty much everybody in this game is tough, until you beat them, then they are easy ;-)

there are a few tricks you can use. when she jumps up on the strings, there will be a window of time for you to throw a throwing star at her, knocking her down. you can then rush her and get some hits in.

as for the illusion phase, when there are all the ghosts, you can honestly just ignore them if you want, run around the room, avoiding them while focusing on her. if you want to attack them to get rid of some, they give you spirit emblems so that can really help.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just now replaying this for the first time in months. God the storytelling is so good, and so much more accessible than the Souls games. It is really well done. Love the 4 endings and the different alliances you can go with too. What a wonderful thing for them to visit Eastern fantasy after spending so much time perfecting the Western fantasy genre.

There are so many concessions to make the game easier for people than Souls too. There is the pause button. There is jump and endless run, meaning u can just run and jump away from a problem enemy, rather than in the more claustrophobic nailed down Souls. Healing is instantaneous and you can move while healing, whereas Souks has you stand in place for way too long. This even has button prompts! They went out of their way to assist the player and address criticisms of being too hard or unfair.

Movement is far, far more free, you can really Batman a courtyard full of enemies, acrobatically leaping from roof to roof, performing crazy kills like a ninja, and know that you did it all yourself! The old frustrations of hitting your axe on the wall are no more. They experimented with true freedom in a From game and it really pays off.

Last edited:

bobone

I was supremely disappointed in this game after getting platinums in every souls game and bloodborne.
It felt terrible to play, and had none of the story or depth of the souls games.
I was obsessed with the characters and hidden backstories of the souls games, but Sekiro had none of that.
I hope its not a sign of what to expect from FROM in the future.

VERY surprised by the love this game received.

Raven117

Good! This all but ensures that the whiney people that complain about the "difficulty" (or even worse, hide behind "accessibility" due to their lack of skill) will be ignored by FromSoftware because they know what works for them and they have now been rewarded both critically, commercially, and have awards.

I hope FromSoftware continues to make these games for their core audience (which all signs show that they are).

Screw the haters. Let them complain. Its all they are good for anyway.

johntown

Banned
I was supremely disappointed in this game after getting platinums in every souls game and bloodborne.
It felt terrible to play, and had none of the story or depth of the souls games.
I was obsessed with the characters and hidden backstories of the souls games, but Sekiro had none of that.

Did you platinum this game? I only ask because you stated it felt terrible to play and IMO I think the gameplay is its best feature. I found the combat especially the boss fights highly satisfying. The story and depth are there as there are many NPC's, side quests and even 4 different ending that can elaborate on the story/lore.

Is Sekiro as in depth as other souls games? No but it does have a significant amount of depth if you choose to platinum the game.

Why did you think it was terrible to play? Besides the claim of no backstories?

bobone

Did you platinum this game? I only ask because you stated it felt terrible to play and IMO I think the gameplay is its best feature. I found the combat especially the boss fights highly satisfying. The story and depth are there as there are many NPC's, side quests and even 4 different ending that can elaborate on the story/lore.

Is Sekiro as in depth as other souls games? No but it does have a significant amount of depth if you choose to platinum the game.

Why did you think it was terrible to play? Besides the claim of no backstories?

I did not platinum it. I didn't even finish it. It felt like such a chore to play. After a handful of hours I put it down and never touched it again.
Hence the disappointment I felt after absolutely loving the past 5 FROM games.

johntown

Banned
I did not platinum it. I didn't even finish it. It felt like such a chore to play. After a handful of hours I put it down and never touched it again.
Gotcha, I found once you understand the combat system the game becomes fun. I can understand the frustration though as the beginning of the game can be brutally difficult and one thing I will admit the game does poorly is showing you how to actually play the game (as it is different than any other souls game). I found after a few major boss fights I finally understood and this was after hours of deaths and then it just clicks......oh I see this is how it is supposed to be played.

If you really enjoyed other souls games maybe give it another shot? Use a guide and watch some vids to get a better understanding of the combat. I think you will enjoy it if you give it another shot IMO.

Danjin44

Actually Sekiro has lot of that but I think you personally got too frustrated to actually look for it.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Cool let me also get an opinion on Dark Souls from someone who never made it past the Gargoyles

Top Bottom