• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware just can't be beat when it comes to delivering both quality AND quantity

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I didn't like Bloodborne, and I didn't like Elden Ring. But I'm loving the hell out of of Armored Core VI. I hate myself for having never played earlier Armored Cores. My buddy says that Silent Line is his favorite.

And which big dev makes drastically different games each time?
More than FS? Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Nintendo. Even Guerilla made a massive change from what they worked on previous to the Horizon series. Returnal was a massive step up from what they worked on before as well. Even God of War 2018 was as big of a change within a series compared to Elden Ring which is called a different franchise from the other souls games.

hErKsKW.jpg

The Silverlord

Neo Member
I tried Bloodborne years ago and it didn't gel, it just felt too sluggish, and not very user friendly. Perhaps I didn't have the patience. Came back to it much later, after having played likes of Nioh, Nioh 2 and then Sekiro. I felt obliged to give it another go. I got into it much more and had an absolute blast with it. I'm now slowly trawling through the rest (Demon's Souls was my last foray and it was excellent too). I can see their influences spreading across many other (indie) titles and FromSoft deserve every plaudit for the games they've output.

Aion002

Kings Field, Gundam Unicorn and Kuon are also amazing games.

With the exception of Ninja Blade.

Brian Orakpo Nightmares GIF by The Roku Channel

FS has continously released great games since the ps1.

I hope they remake Kuon one day....

American Horror Story Harry GIF by AHS

Fbh

More than FS? Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Nintendo. Even Guerilla made a massive change from what they worked on previous to the Horizon series. Returnal was a massive step up from what they worked on before as well. Even God of War 2018 was as big of a change within a series compared to Elden Ring which is called a different franchise from the other souls games.

Can't really agree with most of them.
Naughty Dog has been doing cinematic third person shooters since 2007, I fail to see how The Last of Us is something radically different than Uncharted but Sekiro to Elden Ring is supposedly just a "reskin"
Guerilla made a bunch of samey Killzone games then they had ONE big change and are now fully milking Horizon, they don't release drastically different games each time
God of War honestly same as Naughty Dog, I fail to see how GOW 2018 compared to old GOW is that much different than say Bloodborne to Sekiro to Armored Core 6. And Ragnarok was more samey than any FROM sequel.
Insomniac, sure, they have pretty good variety and are also great at releasing games consistently
Nintendo isn't a developer, you can't compare the variety of a publisher with like 10 first party studios to a single developer like FROM.

Also if we are going to go look at Ps3 and older to find variety then it's only fair you don't just look at Souls but also Kings Field, Otogi, Ninja Blade, Tenchu, etc

Last edited:

poodaddy

I quite like their output but I do tire of the constant sucking off of these devs. They make great stuff, but man their technical prowess is shit to the point of legend. It feels disingenuous to call them the best devs in the industry when such a massive part of the development process, the technology and performance, is regularly neglected and never prioritized at all across their entries. The games are designed brilliantly, but they've got the money to hire a competent tech department and they don't because their fans will just lap up any load they throw on their laps with a smile on their face. Rinse, repeat, profit.

Fbh

rKEVhIu.jpg

*Nintendo laughing*

Nintendo isn't a developer, it's a publisher with like 10 first party developers.

What exact developer at Nintendo has FROM beat in quantity+quality?
EPD8 which will seemingly just release a single game in the 7+ years lifecycle of the Switch?
EPD10 which just makes 2 Mario Platformers and Pikmin?
EPD3 which has major release every 6 years or so?
Monolith which since 2010 has been doing Xenoblade sequels?

Woggleman

??? So you’re saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, and their games are so good they continue to iterate on their formula because it’s worked so well for them? So why throw out the baby with the bath water?? Totally agreed!! they make some amazing damn games.
This is true but other devs do the same thing and get dragged for not updating their formula and having outdated game design. I loved Elden Ring and Bloodborne finally won me over in a big way but let's be objective here. Many of the same people who think Fromsoft are the pinnacle of game design are the ones who will criticize Rockstar when GTA6 is is not the reinvention of the wheel. You will never see Nakey Jakey make a Fromsoft game design is outdated video even if they are using the same formula ten years from now. They have certain prestige in hardcore gaming circles that allows them a pass that others do not get.

TonyK

I love Miyazaki games, but I will be honest, graphically are a gen behind western developers, so their games, even being amazing artistically, are a lot easier to produce than a AAA. From software are AA games regarding production, and AAAA regarding gameplay.

Lux R7

they are amazing, with a top tier game director.
I think i fell in love with videogames again the first time a played Dark Souls.

StueyDuck

i will say, one thing from definitely nails, and it's something that is bugging me with games lately.

and that is scale!

like sure, maybe not MW3 which is aiming for realism, but i play so many western games and they just seem to make small vs big so bland and uninteresting. Where with From or the FFXVI you see the big towering city in the distance and it's awe inspiring. it draws you in to it and makes you want to be there and explore every inch.

compare that to something like Cyberpunk 2077 which is meant to be this huge massive amazing future city and it's just... meh. like sure the buildings are tall, but they don't capture the imagination the way that big walking robot does in AC6

EDIT: to be clear, i'm not saying that no western studios do this well, i think Sony Santa Monica has always done a great job with the GoW franchise and Bungie has always done amazing work with world design and skyboxes.

Last edited:
Naughty Dog has been doing cinematic third person shooters since 2007, I fail to see how The Last of Us is something radically different than Uncharted but Sekiro to Elden Ring is supposedly just a "reskin"
Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, and The Last of Us. Elden Ring could easily be Dark Souls 4 and no one would bat an eye. There's no mistaking TloU 2 for Uncharted 6.
Guerilla made a bunch of samey Killzone games then they had ONE big change and are now fully milking Horizon, they don't release drastically different games each time
Yes, a drastic change. One I don't expect from one within a series which is when I want an iterative take on a formula.

God of War honestly same as Naughty Dog, I fail to see how GOW 2018 compared to old GOW is that much different than say Bloodborne to Sekiro to Armored Core 6. And Ragnarok was more samey than any FROM sequel.
All those games are supposed to be different franchises whereas GoW is still part of series that still did a major reboot.

MarkMe2525

I respect them and what they do. Animation driven combat doesn't do it for me.

Edit: I couldn't tell you if Armored core is similiar

Last edited:

pasterpl

I don’t know, I cannot get into their games. I have pre-ordered the Elden ring based on the hype and have not enjoyed it :(. Want to give AC6 a try but will wait for sales season.

Nintendo isn't a developer, it's a publisher with like 10 first party developers.

What exact developer at Nintendo has FROM beat in quantity+quality?
EPD8 which will seemingly just release a single game in the 7+ years lifecycle of the Switch?
EPD10 which just makes 2 Mario Platformers and Pikmin?
EPD3 which has major release every 6 years or so?
Monolith which since 2010 has been doing Xenoblade sequels?

Nintendo literally is a developer. There’s no way you’re getting away with this. LOL. Nintendo is comprised of thousands of internal software developers working on various internal teams, many of which fall under either EPD in Kyoto or EPD in Tokyo, but most of Nintendo is literally software development. They have internal software development in Europe and North America, but mainly in Japan. Their hardware design teams are much smaller. Nintendo releases several internally made first-party games every year.

As for what makes their quality and quantity amazing and puts it over Fromsoft?

Mario Odyssey, BotW, Pikmin 4, Splatoon 3, TotK, Smash Ultimate, the list goes on and on. They are routinely proving themselves to be masters of their craft and are absolutely among the very best software developers in the world.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

I Love their games, like i loved warcraft 1~2 and quake 1~3, one of the best studios ever.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, and The Last of Us. Elden Ring could easily be Dark Souls 4 and no one would bat an eye. There's no mistaking TloU 2 for Uncharted 6.
Apart from being Soulslike, there's not much in common between Dark Souls and Elden Ring.

ND hasn't made anything that's not Uncharted or TLoU since 2007. If we go that back in time, we should include stuff like Enchanted Arms, Chromehounds, Ninja Blade and Another Century's Episode which were among FS's active franchises.

Let's not forget that Naughty Dog had the audacity to remake the first TLoU with tons of recycled assets from the second game, leave all animation data and voice acting intact, remove the multiplayer component that was present in the original, and then sell this at a full price.

Fbh

Nintendo literally is a developer. There’s no way you’re getting away with this. LOL. Nintendo is comprised of thousands of internal software developers working on various internal teams, many of which fall under either EPD in Kyoto or EPD in Tokyo, but most of Nintendo is literally software development. They have internal software development in Europe and North America, but mainly in Japan. Their hardware design teams are much smaller. Nintendo releases several internally made first-party games every year.

As for what makes their quality and quantity amazing and puts it over Fromsoft?

Mario Odyssey, BotW, Pikmin 4, Splatoon 3, TotK, Smash Ultimate, the list goes on and on. They are routinely proving themselves to be masters of their craft and are absolutely among the very best software developers in the world.

They aren't comparable.
Nintendo is a massive publisher/dev with thousands of employees and multiple internal studio.
FROM has like 390 people total, Monolith soft alone has like 260 and that's a single dev under Nintendo.

Might as well start bringing in Sony Interactive Entretainment and Microsoft Game studios and praising them for releasing games more frequently than FROM.

zeldaring

Banned
They are the best developer for sure, and they make t games that are actually cool, not targeted to everyone and not with woke agendas lol. Sadly if sony didn't destroy the last of us franchise they would probably up there for me.

DrFigs

Apart from being Soulslike, there's not much in common between Dark Souls and Elden Ring.

ND hasn't made anything that's not Uncharted or TLoU since 2007. If we go that back in time, we should include stuff like Enchanted Arms, Chromehounds, Ninja Blade and Another Century's Episode which were among FS's active franchises.

Let's not forget that Naughty Dog had the audacity to remake the first TLoU with tons of recycled assets from the second game, leave all animation data and voice acting intact, remove the multiplayer component that was present in the original, and then sell this at a full price.
I don't know what you're trying to cook here that the last of us 2 is just a reskin of uncharted games? i've never heard that before.
They certainly take longer to make and there's less of them, but they're also significantly more ambitious.

Last edited:

angrod14

They have a lot to improve in the technical and graphical department. Their games look and run like chit.

There are also a lot of design elements that should be simple but instead are needlessly cryptic. Things like UI, stats, etc.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Best in the biz.
I think it's at least partially because they don't obsess over graphics like most of the AAA industry

Here's the thing though dear Fbh :
"They don't obsess" or they just can't - or even worse - they don't give a shit when it comes to the graphics ?

Listen, I love FROM and I was there for 99% of their titles before becoming "famous" after Demon's souls and a mainstream critical darling but...shit is not excusable any more , the engine they're using is not only long in the tooth but it's becoming ALMOST stale and dare I say archaic...
The asset flip and re-use is almost comical (Elden ring), be it textures, animations, sounds etc.

Again, there's no excuse anymore after becoming "famous" and raking in all that money from Namco-Bandai, I mean, it's been what ? 14 years since Demon's souls and 12 years since Dark souls (Namco Bandai) ?

FROM is one of the greatest companies out there but their fan base is also one of the worst with that infinite circle jerking that I just can't and it's a friggin' shame.

Cheers

Last edited:

ungalo

They make games that don't require a technical prowess (so limited budgets and dev time) and they (mostly) keep the same design principles for all their games.

It's not some miracle really, and i'm saying that while liking the way they do it.

YukiOnna

Very sad my time with AC6 is coming to an end soon, love the game a ton. Hope they'll do a follow up DLC on it, kind of like how previous AC got follow ups.

Another interesting game from FromSoft.

Fbh

Here's the thing though dear Fbh :
"They don't obsess" or they just can't - or even worse - they don't give a shit when it comes to the graphics ?

Listen, I love FROM and I was there for 99% of their titles before becoming "famous" after Demon's souls and a mainstream critical darling but...shit is not excusable any more , the engine they're using is not only long in the tooth but it's becoming ALMOST stale and dare I say archaic...
The asset flip and re-use is almost comical (Elden ring), be it textures, animations, sounds etc.

Again, there's no excuse anymore after becoming "famous" and raking in all that money from Namco-Bandai, I mean, it's been what ? 14 years since Demon's souls and 12 years since Dark souls (Namco Bandai) ?

But that's part of what I mean with "they don't obsess"....they just don't care that much about graphics, it's not a priority to them.

I don't get why they need an excuse, why is dated graphics the one thing devs need to have an excuse for?
What's the excuse for almost every other open world having a fraction of the enemy, boss, weapon and location variety of Elden Ring?
What's the excuse for all the games with boring linear level design?
What's the excuse for all the games with bland optional content (or those with none at all)?
What's the excuse for a studio like Santa Monica having released only 2 games in the last 10 years (one of them heavily recycled too) while FROM has released 5 in the same timeframe?
What's the excuse for us going into the 4th year of the Ps5 without as much as a trailer of a new Naughty Dog game (aside TLOU1 remake) while FROM has already release 2 whole new and well received games?
What's the excuse for all these recent games that not only suffer from performance issues too...but also render at like 720p?

Last edited:

GrayChild

I don't know what you're trying to cook here that the last of us 2 is just a reskin of uncharted games? i've never heard that before.
They certainly take longer to make and there's less of them, but they're also significantly more ambitious.

Apart from its underlying tech, there's absolutely nothing in TLoU2 that's more ambitious than Elden Ring.

I like that the guy behind it put Elden Ring as "reskin" , as if implies its nothing but a copy paste of Dark Souls, ignoring the scope and open world.

Yeah, how on earth anyone could look at Elden Ring and think it’s a reskin of Dark Souls. It’s just gaslighting.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Elden Ring and Dark Souls are more similar than you think, they use almost the exact movement and combat animations and the combat cycles are the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom