• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware just can't be beat when it comes to delivering both quality AND quantity

GrayChild

xHhoys4.jpg
L823CU3.jpg
57pdfBp.jpg
kysJMMt.jpg
4QlzOCY.jpg
076WWaI.jpg

See these games? All of them were released in just a 9 year span. All of them grabbing at least several GOTY awards from different outlets (with Sekiro and Elden Ring taking the crown at TGA).

All this achieved by a studio that was approximately 300 people most of the time. While also handling their own engine and motion capture subsidiary.

Seriously, how did they do it?

Saber

Gold Member
Simply passion for what they do.

While most pc fetishes cares about silly stuff and the visual quality of a grain of sand(much like DF also do), From delivers the visual artistic that beat any type of graphics.
Its not about graphics, its about vision and art.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They're all the same game.

/jk
They're pretty close. That's how they are doing it. If anyone wants an actual answer, that's the answer.

Similar sentiment expressed frequently with Insomniac (Sunset Overdrive / Spider Man / Miles Morales / Spider Man 2) + (Ratchet and Clank + Rift Apart).

Still two highly talented and well managed studios, but people can just use their brains. It's not magic. They are using existing assets so it takes less time. Still an impressive run though.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
What sort of bugs?
One of the chapter 1 mission, the last enemy fall through the ground, unable to get pass the area to the next one, i have to restart the mission again.

one of the boss fight where you pair with rusty.
Once I eliminated the two AC, rusty getting stuck near the destroyed ship, nothing happens, have to restart again.

not a big deal , guess im unlucky.

gokurho

xHhoys4.jpg
L823CU3.jpg
57pdfBp.jpg
kysJMMt.jpg
4QlzOCY.jpg
076WWaI.jpg

See these games? All of them were released in just a 9 year span. All of them grabbing at least several GOTY awards from different outlets (with Sekiro and Elden Ring taking the crown at TGA).

All this achieved by a studio that was approximately 300 people most of the time. While also handling their own engine and motion capture subsidiary.

You don't know Xbox game studios:messenger_tears_of_joy:

PanzerCute

I would also add Déraciné on PSVR.

Very weird game, quite limited, but it hit me like a fucking train. Also very different compared to their other games.

tmlDan

god not another one of these threads, Fromsoft fanboys just cant stop talking can they lol

From soft games, especially souls games, have very poor combat (Sekiro and AC are diff), they follow the same formula/vibe in most of their games and at this point im getting tired of it

Last edited:

Vblad88

This topic has positioned itself in funny spot when it comes to "quality" :D - amongst "broken games that cannot hit 60 fps" :D I'm yet to see Fromsoft game that actually run stable 30 on consoles :D

iorek21

As much as I love Elden Ring, I think they dropped the ball in the quantity:quality ratio. Disliked most of the bosses too.

Reactions: Zug

aclar00

The souls games definitely have a solid fan base. Quality is not From's best attribute, which is likely why they churn them out pretty fast. Each soul game is essentially a sequal to the previous souls game with a new name.

From is one of the few companies that can get away with churning out basic sequals like the PS1 and PS2 era. Basically the same game but reskinned and slightly enhanced. This can either be a good or bad thing, but overall id say its been good for gaming.

Except for that one time when they released Dark Souls 2 I guess. Quality can not exist in the same sentence as that embarrassment of a game.

Some of their games are timeless masterpieces but let's be honest here - they sometimes do quantity before quality.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yes, they're good devs but c'mon. These aren't drastically different games, no shit they can pop them out more frequently while cutting out stuff that takes other studios longer to get their games out.

And which big dev makes drastically different games each time?

The souls games definitely have a solid fan base. Quality is not From's best attribute, which is likely why they churn them out pretty fast. Each soul game is essentially a sequal to the previous souls game with a new name.

From is one of the few companies that can get away with churning out basic sequals like the PS1 and PS2 era. Basically the same game but reskinned and slightly enhanced. This can either be a good or bad thing, but overall id say its been good for gaming.

If Sekiro, Elden Ring and Armored Core are basically the same game but reskinned then pretty much no other AAA studio makes unique games either.

Quantity maybe. Quality? Very questionable.

Their last 4 games average a metascore of 90
Their last 4 games have "very positive" or better average reviews on Steam with hundreds of thousands of reviews (except Armored core which is also very positive but is too new so it only has 30k reviews)
Elden Ring won like 200+ Goty Awardss
Sekiro won 80+ Goty awards.
Dark Souls 3 sold 10+ million copies (by 2020)
Sekiro has sold 5+ million copies (by 2020)
Elden Ring has sold 20+ million copies

YOU might not like them, which is fine. But by pretty much every metric we have, they are good quality games.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
People said the same thing about CD Project Red.
I hope From Software keeps making these amazing games. But I caution people to putting corporations on pedestals, regardless of the quality of their work.
Let's just hope Miyazaki's team never experiences their own Cyberpunk 2077 moment.

Codes 208

They could work on their performance quality.

On that front, bluepoint made a better souls game than fromsoft ever could

Last edited:

El Muerto

The controls in their games feel outdated and reminiscent to playing a PS2 game. Graphics were always poor too. I do love the genre and beat every other "souls like" game like The Surge, Nioh, Steelrising, etc.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
They definitely make a specific type of game that simply cant be replicated. It took the Lies of P demo and Steelrising to finally make me bite the bullet and admit to myself that Im wasting money on these impersonators and no matter whos making it, they just cant touch the From kind of experience.

Lokaum D+

my only complaint is their engine, they need to change that ancient thing, other then this keep bringing the goods.

GymWolf

They're aight.

Ac6 and sekiro are their best games by far gameplay wise.

Enemies and boss design is what i like most in their games.

MagnesD3

xHhoys4.jpg
L823CU3.jpg
57pdfBp.jpg
kysJMMt.jpg
4QlzOCY.jpg
076WWaI.jpg

They are currently the best developer on the market its kinda crazy. I look forward to what they bring to gaming every year.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not a fan of them myself but they’ve definitely had a fantastic quality/quantity output. Every game they make seems like a banger. They’ve definitely found their niche.

Looking forward to seeing their next title, love seeing the art direction/monster designs in most of their games.

Last edited:
The controls in their games feel outdated and reminiscent to playing a PS2 game. Graphics were always poor too. I do love the genre and beat every other "souls like" game like The Surge, Nioh, Steelrising, etc.

Nah, the controls are perfect. They require mastery, which makes mastering them more rewarding. I’d rather have that than run-of-the-mill copy paste character control and FromSoftware games just become like every other game.

LakeOf9

All but one of them are variations on the same general framework, reusing a lot of the tech, assets, and code, with very little technical ambition or iteration, and a lot of the same flaws and problems carried over from game to game.

This kind of thing works very well until it doesn’t. Just ask Bethesda or Ubi, once upon a time they were industry darlings by doing this exact thing, now people don’t have as much patience for it.

EDIT: saying this as someone who thinks dark souls 1, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring are among the greatest achievements of the medium btw. It’s not hate to note why FromSoft is able to do what they do.

Last edited:

cireza

I played quite a few of their games and become more and more reluctant, mainly because the technical experience has always been pretty bad.

Sekiro eventually became great on Series X, once it finally became 60fps. Completed it on One X first and it was a painful experience. They need to improve and make smoother, cleaner games, because there are many other studios out there who manage to make super clean games. This is especially true when you are pushing very precise gameplay like in Sekiro.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GHG

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think anyone expected AC6 so soon after Elden Ring. And Elden Ring was "only" three years after Sekiro, during this global pandemic that destroyed the ability of 98% of studios to do anything. I mean it is 2023 and we are just starting to see games start to come out again. But From released two games in that time frame.

Even if the gamers are kind of samey and From fanboys are annoying and kind of soy, the way this company just cranks out these games really is not seen much anymore.

Last edited:
They literally make the same game with the same mechanics over and over. It's been the same game since demon souls

??? So you’re saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, and their games are so good they continue to iterate on their formula because it’s worked so well for them? So why throw out the baby with the bath water?? Totally agreed!! they make some amazing damn games.

PanzerCute

This topic has positioned itself in funny spot when it comes to "quality" :D - amongst "broken games that cannot hit 60 fps" :D I'm yet to see Fromsoft game that actually run stable 30 on consoles :D
Good thing they obliterate almost every other studio on the planet on what a GAME is.

What a retarded post.

Top Bottom