• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki talks Armored Core 6 with IGN

Shubh_C63

Sekiro kinda broke me down and still was my favourite Souls game.

AC6 will be another one which I won't be able to complete. Book me up for 10 copies please.

Alexios

Banned
Interviewer really went in unprepared and had to be told "No. It's not Armored Souls/Borne/Ring." He did not research AC at all.
Their own announcement and available PR so far tried hard to link it to their Souls games in every way but explicitly naming them. Good to know that's just for PR from these answers actually, but it's on them and not the game journalist (lol) this time.
ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON will offer a game experience based on the mech game know-how FromSoftware cultivated over 25 years of developing games in the series, but now introducing groundbreaking gameplay found in the developer’s recent action games
The trailer's beginning itself could have easily been about a Souls game with all the fire & cinders stuff after we've had all the Souls lore being about first flames and bonfires and ashens and whatever else, it was almost a bait and switch reveal of AC.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Their own announcement and available PR so far tried hard to link it to their Souls games in every way but explicitly naming them. Good to know that's just for PR from these answers actually, but it's on them and not the game journalist (lol) this time.

The trailer's beginning itself could have easily been about a Souls game with all the fire & cinders stuff after we've had all the Souls lore being about first flames and bonfires and ashens and whatever else, it was almost a bait and switch reveal of AC.
I see that people saw it that way, but I don't agree. The way I saw it was that they were taking their development knowhow and growth as a studio and applying it to Armored Core, which is exactly what they imply in the interview: a big budget modern AC game with new bells and whistles only AC can do.

That said, it seemed to cause enough weird expectations from people that they actually removed the entire first paragraph on the Steam page, lol.

SJRB

Gold Member
Embarrassing IGN interview.
That guy has never played a single Armored Core title and kept pestering Miyazaki and Yamamura about possible ''Soulsborne'' connections in almost every question.

Well in fairness almost no one played an Armored Core game, and Elden Ring won GOTY and sold a truckload of copies, naturally people's first thought with a new FROM game is how Soulsborne it is. I would lie if I said I wasn't wondering this myself until Miyazaki cleared it up.

The complete interview is pretty poor but I'm glad some things about the game got cleared up at least.

Juza

Why did they keep asking whether the game will be Souls-like even though they already answered?? LMAO

Also this:
Elden Ring's increased accessibility – for example, friendlier checkpoints and friendly summons, was credited in part with improving its sales
"if you make your game friendlier it will sell more"

rest easy IGN the game will have difficulty option .

That guy has never played a single Armored Core title and kept pestering Miyazaki and Yamamura about possible ''Soulsborne'' connections in almost every question.
Wouldn't expect anything else from IGN.

They don't play games, they follow trends. Providing deep, "nerdy" and insightful reportage about video games is largely lacking in their competencies and repetoire. The only point of reference these "journos" got is the mainstream consensus on the challenging nature of the Dark souls series.

Anyway, hope FROM/@yamamura are alluding to firmly sticking to the foundation of the series and not budge to some asinine pushback from uninformed journos like the one who was conducting the interview.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Any interesting bit or it's just ign asking if there are black mechas and how they sexually identify?

Well in fairness almost no one played an Armored Core game, and Elden Ring won GOTY and sold a truckload of copies, naturally people's first thought with a new FROM game is how Soulsborne it is. I would lie if I said I wasn't wondering this myself until Miyazaki cleared it up.

The complete interview is pretty poor but I'm glad some things about the game got cleared up at least.
Sure, but Miyazaki cleared things up with his second answer so there was no need to keep asking the same things over and over again.
They kinda wasted the interview!

It’s been almost a full decade since the last AC game and the last system it was spotted on was the PlayStation 3. A lot has happened since then. There’s a whole generation of people who don’t know what in the world AC is and they have zero reverence towards the franchise, so this should be expected.

There is quite a big gamble being made here.

1)They’ve just developed one of their most well received and best selling souls games of all time. They’re deciding immediately afterwards not only to touch an obscure franchise, but to title it as a sequel instead of reimagining the franchise under a similar name like “The Amored Core” which would have been the smarter play imo.

2)Namco have faith in From Software because they’re the golden boy right now, but as of now they’re not showing as much faith in AC as a franchise. They didn’t even consider or announce any sort of remaster or title collection with AC to accompany this announcement, meaning newer fans will have to hunt down a PS3 or PS2 to know what the hell this franchise even is and what it plays like.

3)It feels like the lead director really loved Armored Core and used From’s current day prestige as leverage to pitch another game in that franchise to Namco, knowing that Namco heads would say yes regardless of what they asked for.

I hope the gamble pays off and I hope this ends up a good game, because what they’re describing sounds like they time traveled back to 2013 and described a bunch of outdated concepts that they want to reintroduce to 2023 audiences.

Shubh_C63

1)They’ve just developed one of their most well received and best selling souls games of all time. They’re deciding immediately afterwards not only to touch an obscure franchise, but to title it as a sequel instead of reimagining the franchise under a similar name like “The Amored Core” which would have been the smarter play imo.
In everybodies opinion actually. I burst out laughing when I saw AC6 title like they don't even give a fuck. Any publisher/developer out there would had rebooted the franchise and I love that they are this confident.

Last edited:
It’s been almost a full decade since the last AC game and the last system it was spotted on was the PlayStation 3. A lot has happened since then. There’s a whole generation of people who don’t know what in the world AC is and they have zero reverence towards the franchise, so this should be expected.

2)Namco have faith in From Software because they’re the golden boy right now, but as of now they’re not showing as much faith in AC as a franchise. They didn’t even consider or announce any sort of remaster or title collection with AC to accompany this announcement, meaning newer fans will have to hunt down a PS3 or PS2 to know what the hell this franchise even is and what it plays like.

3)It feels like the lead director really loved Armored Core and used From’s current day prestige as leverage to pitch another game in that franchise to Namco, knowing that Namco heads would say yes regardless of what they asked for.

I hope the gamble pays off and I hope this ends up a good game, because what they’re describing sounds like they time traveled back to 2013 and described a bunch of outdated concepts that they want to reintroduce to 2023 audiences.
it should be expected from newer FROM fans, not from a IGN journalist.

1) Sure, making a non-numbered entry could've been seen as the ''smarter'' move (and most people expected them to do just that) but FROM clearly wanted to signal a few things when they chose to produce a numbered entry.
2) I think that's simply because they don't want players to go back to the older, dated titles (see how Miyazaki talks about the development of AC4 and For Answer), they want people to follow and learn only about this game.
3) That's possible but Bamco and Kadowaka don't write black checks, they're probably confident that this game will be a commercial hit.

Well, they've only described things vaguely because the interviewer didn't ask substantial questions about the game.
An interviewer familiar with the AC franchise could've esaily squeezed more info about AC6's game design.

These are all good things.

Risks, gambles, confidence - even arrogance. If games want to be taken seriously as an art form then they need directors willing to be hard headed enough to do these things.

Kokoloko85

Interested but hope its not pure linear stages and story. Day 1 either way because… In Miyazaki we trust

Last edited:
Top Bottom