• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core VI Isn't Open-World Because Devs Didn't Want It To Be Like Elden Ring

Draugoth

Gold Member
Armored-Core-VI-Fires-of-Rubicon.jpg

Armored Core VI could have potentially had open-world exploration elements but FromSoftware believed it was best to stick to the series’ charm.

• According to the dev team, Armored Core VI will double down on customization and parts assembly so players can craft the perfect AC for any situation.
  • Armored Core VI will feature mission-based gameplay but each map is intricately crafted and the devs are confident in the quality.
Armored Core VI could have ended up as an open-world game in some capacity, but FromSoftware decided against it to focus on the series’ soul. In an interview with the dev team for the upcoming mecha action game earlier this year, Yamamura talked about how the team believed, after much deliberation, that it would be best to focus on the true charm of the series—creating your perfect Armored Core.

There was an opinion among the dev team that Armored Core VI should have more exploration and movement like Elden Ring, but the team decided to stay true to the AC formula.

There was an opinion among the dev team that Armored Core VI should have more exploration and movement like Elden Ring, but the team decided to stay true to the AC formula.

The developer explainedç

In the process of developing the sequel, there was also an opinion to make it in a different game style. However, as a result of discussions, it was concluded that it should not be made into a title centered on movement and exploration, such as the Elden Ring or Soul series. In the Armored Core series, depending on the assembly, the movement performance of the character changes and affects the play. Because that is the charm of the series.”

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Different games, different designs.
This is a company that takes meticulous care when designing their games (except for that stupid giant boss fight in Elden Ring)

Very different than some corporations that just chase trends without thinking about the consequences.

Yes, I'm looking at you Square-Enix.

I absolutely love Elden Ring and it's quite possibly my favorite game of all time, but I wouldn't want all of FromSoftware's games to copy it.

I feel like they produce such high quality video games because they give themselves the creative freedom to try something new every once in a while. Afterward, they reflect on the best aspects of the experience and attempt to integrate into other games (where appropriate).

Really looking forward to Armored Core and have faith in whatever direction the studio takes 👌

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why would anyone think AC is going to be open world? AC is not Souls games and it’s not trying to be. FROM will bring their experience from past games to AC but thats as far as it goes.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Pretty cool. Not everything needs to be open world and Elden Ring being open world doesnt mean this one should.

Gojiira

On the one hand Im glad that this should mean the maps are tightly designed and take full advantage of all the AC’s capabilities but on the other hand I really do wish AC would take more fundamental risks. Like this is a series that screams Pilot and Hangar gameplay, let me explore our base of operations and interact with other pilots, let me see my AC being repaired and refueled, not talking about open world, just a hub with interactivity. And I know I’ll be castrated for suggesting this but since they are no longer tied to the original series why not introduce Aliens or native creatures as well as enemy AC’s? would be amazing to take on giant Monsters as a AC. Yeah I know it goes against the series aesthetic and tone but From could pull it off.

From Software knows what they are doing. I wasn't even expecting this to be open world in first place. I am sure this will be a good well designed game at it's core.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Devs Didn't Want It To Be Like Elden Ring​

Says From, who's next game will be + - exactly like Elden Ring and previous games (except Sekiro and a bit Bloodborne) were exactly like Dark Souls.

oprah-well.gif

YukiOnna

Why would anyone think AC is going to be open world? AC is not Souls games and it’s not trying to be. FROM will bring their experience from past games to AC but thats as far as it goes.
Why do they have to keep defending and explaining that the new Armored Core game is not a Souls game and its not Elden Ring?
These interviews are getting well past annoying.
People expecting otherwise are setting up for butthurt.

Meanwhile - longtime AC fans are saying 'its finally back'.
Probably the same reason I still see people convinced that their future games will all suddenly be like Elden Ring when they've said it's not going to dictate their direction for anything.
Will they make another Dark Fantasy RPG? I'm sure they will. Will everything else turn into that suddenly? No.

nemiroff

Gold Member
What a strange thing to say, doesn't make much sense to me. ..Unless of course it's a cloaked technical excuse, wouldn't surprise me when it comes to FS.

HOWEVER, I kinda trust FS to deliver a good experience so I'm not too worried per se.

Teletraan1

Banned
Open world in a giant mech would be cool if done right. They would need to nail the scale of the mech to the environment and make everything destructible with plenty of enemies to fight. It is not the game they are making here though which is fine. Them having to say this is just a reflection of the brain dead gaming press constantly asking stupid questions.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Thank the merciful god, love From, love souls games, "platinued" elden ring , but I really freacking hate what open world design amd appeal to the mainstream did to it, let be its own thing,

Shubh_C63

AC6 will be like here's the money corporal, here's the items you can buy, now go do Mission #1, Mission #2, Mission #3 and come back to base alive.

xrnzaaas

Kudos to them for making the game the way they want to, not going the safe way and trying to attract Elder Ring crowd with the open world.

Top Bottom