• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back, Xbox Has Had Some Strange GOTY Omissions Over The Years [PureXbox]

MarkMe2525

That doesn’t debunk what I said, nor the payoff which is well documented.
Your claim rests on a flawed understanding of the timeline. Sega's decision to cease console production preceded their partnership with Microsoft. The agreement to develop games for Microsoft's Xbox console came after Sega had already left the console market. MS's actions were not the cause of Sega's departure, but rather a response to an existing situation.

Your assertion does not need to be debunked as it is just a misrepresentation of the cause and effect of these two events.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I haven't played it yet, but what I saw looked like it was extremely similar to Spider Man. I think they're literally using the same code base. If Elden Ring is loosely Demon's Souls 7, then Spider Man 2 is Sunset Overdrive 4. It almost looks like some of the animations are nearly the same.

But yeah, I haven't played it. Maybe the humor and punk stuff is cringe. I don't know.

The game was nothing like spiderman 4, not even sure what animation you see that are similar when they don't even share similar combat or traversal.

The game was simply infamous with ratchet weapons and more mobility options, but with ultra shitty plot and charas, horrible enemy variety, meh graphic and low production values, and super fucking easy and short, traversal was the best part.

The game was like a 6-7 at best but starvation and being made by insomniac made the game sound better than it really was.

Last edited:
It's entirely subjective, I personally think the worst uncharted is better than every Gears Game and by a considerable margin.

Looking at the article I don't think there is a game that was done dirty as all the other games had solid arguments made for them.
Uncharted had never managed to match nor surpass Gears' gunplay as far as I'm concerned. Uncharted 3's gameplay was so bad at launch that they had to patch it shortly after release. I remember the outrage on this very forum.

GymWolf

Uncharted had never managed to match nor surpass Gears' gunplay as far as I'm concerned. Uncharted 3's gameplay was so bad at launch that they had to patch it shortly after release. I remember the outrage on this very forum.
Yeah something about the aim system being broken or something.

Perrott

Gold Member
So what is so bad about it that it's an embarrassment? I was expecting it to play pretty well at least since it looks like it plays so similarly to Insomniac's 90+ rated open world game in 2023. I'm sure Spider Man has more cinematic moments, and the web swinging is cool. I just was curious why Sunset Overdrive is a laughing stock.

Looks pretty similar. Maybe a bit more player input required. The web swinging is cooler looking and feels good but is kinda easy.

Sunset Overdrive plays in the same league as inFAMOUS, while Spider-Man is in Batman: Arkham's league.

That's the distinction between the two IPs.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Drop the Xbox fanboy victim complex, Mana.
What console warriors don't understand is that the Doritos Pope's show is 100% political. I don't mean like US politics or culture warrior political, but political in the sense that it exists only to reward his friends in PR. It's not rewarding the games at all, that's just a cover. It's just a way for the Pope to invite his friends to a lavish award show and give them an award just for being his friend. Obviously he hasn't known anyone in MS PR ever, so they get overlooked in favor of Kojima and other publishers he has buddies at.

What console warriors don't understand is that the Doritos Pope's show is 100% political. I don't mean like US politics or culture warrior political, but political in the sense that it exists only to reward his friends in PR. It's not rewarding the games at all, that's just a cover. It's just a way for the Pope to invite his friends to a lavish award show and give them an award just for being his friend. Obviously he hasn't known anyone in MS PR ever, so they get overlooked in favor of Kojima and other publishers he has buddies at.

So somebody pays him for the awards?

Who would those people be then?

Thirty7ven

Banned
I didn't say that. I said he's awarding his industry friends in PR. It's the same as the Golden Globes. It's a corrupt award show.

The only gaming awards that matter are the DICE awards at GDC. Those are run by developers not some guy who wants to give statues to his PR buddies.

Absolutely pathetic but par for the course for Xbox fanboys.

Let’s hope a group of Xbox media content creators do their own Industry Awards just so you lot stop can do a clown shoes convention. Just relentless victim complex.

Last edited:

And Gears has a dreadful narrative, shallow performances, lower production values with audio and is overall less ambitious with set prices.

It's swings and roundabouts and looking at the reviews, most reviewers preferred Uncharted and they are the people who nominate.

Shubh_C63

They only talked about StarField, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Gears of War 3 and Forza, OVER 13 YEARS lol

You can pretty much strike off Sunset and StarField, and GoW3 with that insane competition.

Pedro Motta

Uncharted 3 was not a great game and in fact I'd say Gears 3 is better but Arkham City is better than both.
I don't know what pills are you guys taking but saying Uncharted 3 is not a great game is the biggest blunder of them all. I actually just replayed the game un the Uncharted Collection and it's even better than I remember, complete masterpiece, as is the rest of the franchise.

Only one I agree with is ori and the blind forest. The rest are no where near in contention for goty. The funny thing is nobody would be arguing for starfield if they were still 3rd party but because they're now under Microsoft, xbox fans are salty. How in the fuck do you fit starfield into the discussion? There's like 10 better games that released this year.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Absolutely pathetic but par for the course for Xbox fanboys.

Let’s hope a group of Xbox media content creators do their own Industry Awards just so you lot stop can do a clown shoes convention. Just relentless victim complex.
Don’t worry the copium will be coming when TOTK wins.

Last edited:
I mean..for the last few years, the only things Xbox was ever really known for was Halo, Forza and Gears(imo).

Starfield was just..it was good, but it isn't GOTY. I do think Forza could've snuck in, but it didn't.

This feels like "What do you mean we spent billions of dollars and have no GOTY nominations?"

Don’t worry the copium will be coming when TOTK wins.

Everyone already knows its only between BG3 and TOTK. The others are only there to fill out the list. The only ones coping are xbox fans because the game that they proclaimed will be the game of the century only has 1 nomination and ended up with a metascore of 83. Didn't see that coming earlier in the year, did you?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Idea Volunteer GIF
With you on that.

Roberts

Apologies for being Captain Obvious but the sooner we stop worrying about awards and who is nominated or not the better. I understand the frustration but it is ok. It will be fine

On a related note, Blow Out is just about the best movie ever made and didn't get shit.

Copium for whom?

I swear Xbox fanboys latest online offensive of trying to steal clout from Nintendo is some of the weirdest, funniest, most clownish shit I’ve seen from any fanbase.

If I was a fan of any of the GOTY nominees I certainly wouldn't be pissed if the game doesn't win. And that's because the other titles did very well both commercially and critically. Nothing to be mad about if TOTK gets it over Spider-Man 2 or BG3 for example.

They had to go back to 2011 to find a good example

Fucking pathetic

They agree with Skyward Sword but struggle to see why Arkham City and U3 deserved the spot?

Shows that they cant see quality even if it smacks their faces
Exactly...2011 was 12 years ago. What's the excuse since then?

Also, Batman: Arkham City is still seen as one of the best superhero games to this day, influencing even Spider-Man from Insomniac in some ways and Uncharted 3 may not be the masterpiece that was Uncharted 2 in many ways, but it has arguably some of the best setpieces of the series and even from any game that generation, including some that ended up influencing even action movies:

Stuff like this is known to people that didn't even play the game.

The boat sinking in real time was also an amazing one and plenty of others.

Gears of War 3 just doesn't have the same influence both in the videogame community and outside of it.

If this was between Gears 1 and the first Uncharted...now that i would get. Not the 3rd entries.

Mozzarella

So this is their cope? its sad at this point, when i saw the showcase in June i expected the game to sweep GOTY awards and to get rated 95+ after Redfall flopped, turns out things are much worse than that. They need to get their shit together, seriously.

Look I liked Starfield a lot, but so many games better than it came out this year, for example Tears of the Kingdom, Baldurs Gate 3 and Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man who Erased his Name, I enjoyed those all more, Starfield is in my personal top 10 for this year, but its about 5th or 6th at best

That being said, its Xbox's best game this year
Meme Generator - Clown with soldiers - Newfa Stuff

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Uncharted 3 was not a great game and in fact I'd say Gears 3 is better but Arkham City is better than both.
Uncharted 3 plane setpiece is literally legendary in media overall and was ripped-off countless times. The weakest Uncharted is still miles better than any modern Tomb Raider.

U3 has it set of pacing blunders and plotholes, but like with classic Indy trilogy (for me mirroring Uncharted 2-3-4), it's not bad to be the last in the list of the industry's best.

Gears 3, in retrospect, was fun, but aside from shooting setpieces were uninspiring and the acting downright unintentional comedy. It's was also significantly watered down by forced (and pathetic story-wise) sequels like 4 and 5, so maybe py preception is skewed by that too. Peak Gears was 2. Boy was it terrific from start to finish.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Xbox fanboys are such insecure little bitches. Not to say Sony fanboys wouldn't be the same is Spiderman 2 had been snubbed (which I would have had no issue with it being snubbed) Make better games. Hogwarts Legacy being snubbed is far bigger crime than any Xbox snubs.

Starfield was a good game, but outdated and had serious flaws.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Oh no.. our lord and savior starfield didnt get goty nomination... this game was never going to live up to the hype.. even more after became the only and sole savior of the xbox gaming division
Oh Starfield definitely had the potential. If wasn't stuck in the past with 100s of loading screens and gave exploration real value instead of random generated content, then it would have been an easy GotY contender.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Apologies for being Captain Obvious but the sooner we stop worrying about awards and who is nominated or not the better. I understand the frustration but it is ok. It will be fine

On a related note, Blow Out is just about the best movie ever made and didn't get shit.

Technically, what it did get was Traviolta the role of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
This is too cringey to mock. My only query is why they want Starfield to be nominated when they gave Sea of Stars a higher score and they are quiet about it. 🤷‍♂️

CEDlSfp.jpg

Well done to Big Tinfoil on their massive sales to some posters here that Geoff Keighley is bought and Geoff never met any Xbox PR. Hazard a guess where the Doritos Pope meme came from?

graywolf323

aren’t you a journalist? I mean this is blatantly false, he’s just as friendly with them as he is with any other publisher and has even done events with them

Roberts

Technically, what it did get was Traviolta the role of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction.
Yeah, it makes sense as Tarantino seems to be a huge fan of that movie too. Even though De Palma had made a few bangers before, this one elevated him to a god-tier status. Absolutely incredible control of the craft. And that was a good scream, indeed.

Oh, and I can even tell if I liked Uncharted 3 or Gears 3 better. I kind of remember liking both games more or less equally even though I think combat packs more punch in Gears (which it should as it pretty much the only thing you have to do in the game).

Top Bottom