• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will this year be the year that an Xbox first party game gets a TGA Game of the Year nomination?

Will this year be the year that an Xbox first party game gets a TGA Game of the Year nomination?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't see Microsoft or Sony getting nominated this year. Spider-Man 2 will surely be great, late 80's meta just like the first one and MM. I'm expecting nothing mind-blowing to be a GOTY contender from it.

There's Alan Wake 2 coming later this month which I don't think will make it, while being a fantastic game and probably a currentgen visual showcase, and Super Mario Wonder, which might.

ToTK vs BG3 vs RE4R vs SF6 it is imho, and fighting games are hardly nominated, let alone win GOTY's apart from FGC sites. They'll also look over RE4R because it's a remake.

So, realistically it's only between ToTK and BG3.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

TOTK, BG3, RE4 are locks. If SM2 is great then that's four. They'll probably throw Starfield a courtesy nod, maybe? What else would be the 5th? Street Fighter 6? Diablo 4? That game sucks though and everyone hates it now.
I would argue either Dead Space R or Jedi Survivor could sneak in, there's also super mario wonder coming out the same day as spidey.

didn't think I'd get to use this again

50MSuT3.jpg

They may get one for political reasons but they don't deserve one. Starfield and Forza are both letdowns in their own way and Hi Fi Rush is good but by no means deserves to be a game of the year contender.

This should've been the year Microsoft "is back baby" with Starfield and Forza but they managed to drop the ball yet again! Starfield- so much potential but lacking in too many important areas such as exploration and a satisfying gameplay loop compared to their own past games. Forza- fucking downgraded graphics and lacking single player content, feels unfinished and plagued by GaaS bullshit.

I'm shocked that Forza of all games didn't deliver. The racing itself feels good but the visuals don't knock my socks off and the big "rt reflections on track" are low res and barely noticeable.

I now only have 2 MS games to look forward to: Fable and Hellblade. Hate the direction this company has taken.

i'll never understand the tears of the kingdom hype. to me, it's fundamentally a 're-imagining' of a legit unique game experience that was released 6 years previously (& a game which i love), that comes with 2 additional areas (one of which is just relentlessly, disturbingly ugly as hell), & a construction element. it just confuses me that so many people even found this game satisfying, never mind amazing/wonderful...

on topic: i think the completely massive, out-of-the-blue, well-earned success of hogwarts legacy earns it a mention. it's the 'little game that could' underdog of the year, imo...

Ozzie666

Even Halo Inifite won some golden joystick award for game of the year, anything is possiible in this day and age and Cyberpunk won an RPG of the year award, despite all it's issues. Anything can happen and it has nothing to do with voting, more about blind popularity.

Not surprised if they gush over Starfield, but Hi-fi rush is probably the deserving one, seems like so long ago since Hi-fi rush and Hogsward were released!

mrmustard

Banned
Why are people so obsessed with TGA? Because they make the biggest show around it? To me it's just as good or bad as any other award and there were like 600 last year:

Last edited:

knguyen

If starfield turned out like what Todd and his team spent weeks tryng to make people believe it would be, then it will definitely win GOTY.

Last edited:
They may get one for political reasons but they don't deserve one. Starfield and Forza are both letdowns in their own way and Hi Fi Rush is good but by no means deserves to be a game of the year contender.

This should've been the year Microsoft "is back baby" with Starfield and Forza but they managed to drop the ball yet again! Starfield- so much potential but lacking in too many important areas such as exploration and a satisfying gameplay loop compared to their own past games. Forza- fucking downgraded graphics and lacking single player content, feels unfinished and plagued by GaaS bullshit.

I'm shocked that Forza of all games didn't deliver. The racing itself feels good but the visuals don't knock my socks off and the big "rt reflections on track" are low res and barely noticeable.

I now only have 2 MS games to look forward to: Fable and Hellblade. Hate the direction this company has taken.

Nothing will change with that management, years have passed and I see no evidence of substantial improvement. And the likelihood is it won’t change because a lot of people seem determined to praise that management at any opportunity. It all feels so fake.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

eh, do they deserve awards for essentially having money?

they didn't shepherd any of these titles other than forza which we know racing games never win Gotys

ungalo

When i see last year nominees i don't really care.

If media want to play it safe with every console manufacturer they'll toss Starfield in there. If they are in one of their usual Nintendo euphoria they'll put Mario instead.

The rest will be Zelda, BG3, Resident Evil 4, Alan Wake 2 and probably Spiderman 2.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Best shot is Hi-Fi Rush I reckon, but a lot has happened since January. Even as a left-field indie shout, it's got to beat out more recent darlings like Cocoon, Dave the Diver and Sea of Stars. Starfield, meanwhile, has to beat out about twenty games that were better reviewed and received better this year, even for a nomination - Armored Core VI, FFXVI, Jedi Survivor and Hogwarts Legacy all edged it out on aggregates and I wouldn't say any of them are in the running. Even SM2 is a long shot.

Last edited:
No.

Hi-Fi Rush was superb so could get acknowledgement, and absolutely should, but neither Starfield nor Forza Motorsport stand out as anything particularly special.

Both are fine games but Starfield is very dated in terms of game design and Forza Motorsport is just more of the same but with less content than Forza Motorsport 7. Neither game offer stand out visuals or anything innovative that would make them contenders for an award.

Last edited:
Hi-Fi Rush will win something, and it's the only game that they've put out that deserves to.

Agreed, this year peaked with HFR and is their only title deserving of praise

Fun little game but can’t stand a chance against other GOTY heavyweights. But should win some niche categories for sure

Xbox needs more focused, high quality efforts like this

Last edited:
Top Bottom