• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back, Xbox Has Had Some Strange GOTY Omissions Over The Years [PureXbox]

aren’t you a journalist? I mean this is blatantly false, he’s just as friendly with them as he is with any other publisher and has even done events with them

He's delusional. Did he forget that xbox series x was revealed at the game awards? Or all the xbox stuff that was shown at the summer game fest? But sure, let's blame Geoff instead of Microsoft. It's Geoffs fault that starfield got all those 7 scores. It's the sony biased media's fault for those low scores. It's sony fanboys fault for the poor user scores. Even on the Microsoft store! Let's blame everybody else!

Sleepwalker

I would have traded Skyward Sword for Gears 3 in a heartbeat. The original version of Skyward Sword was one of the most annoying Zelda games I’ve ever played and I feel like only a few reviewers actually pointed out how annoying the game really was after the ‘wow factor’ of the Wiimote controls faded away.
Skyward sword fucking sucked, I bought a wii for it and sold the whole console a week later lol

MarkMe2525

Absolutely pathetic but par for the course for Xbox fanboys.

Let’s hope a group of Xbox media content creators do their own Industry Awards just so you lot stop can do a clown shoes convention. Just relentless victim complex.
Dude, you are in a thread shitting on people for rationalizing their preferred ecosystems lack of relative success in the marketplace. Is there any more useless way to spend your time? I would even dare to call it.... pathetic.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Your claim rests on a flawed understanding of the timeline. Sega's decision to cease console production preceded their partnership with Microsoft. The agreement to develop games for Microsoft's Xbox console came after Sega had already left the console market. MS's actions were not the cause of Sega's departure, but rather a response to an existing situation.

Your assertion does not need to be debunked as it is just a misrepresentation of the cause and effect of these two events.
False.
Sega announced they would stop making consoles in Feb 2001, the deal with MS was announced in March 2001.

You can’t deny history.

MarkMe2525

False.
Sega announced they would stop making consoles in Feb 2001, the deal with MS was announced in March 2001.

You can’t deny history.
🤣😅 Um... you do know that January 31st comes before March right? This is beyond ridiculous, and revisionist history. The fact that you say I am denying history in the face of every single contemporary source disagreeing with your premise, is some kind of special.

Sega's plan was to get out of hardware and focus on 3rd party production, the fact that they secured a 3rd party agreement was their literal intent. It's not a bug, its a feature. To spin this as some reverse cause and effect is at best illogical, and at worst... well I don't want to insult you

Edit: your own sources refute your assertion.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

False.

You can’t deny history.
Here is an article published 3 days after Sega announced the discontinuation of the Dreamcast. As of February 3rd 2001, Sega were already planning on bringing their games to Nintendo, and Sony platforms. The article specifically notes that Sega have not yet mentioned any games coming to the Xbox. That's because MS and Sega didn't have a plan for any partnership until a month later.

So please explain to me how MS's and Sega partnership was the nail in the coffin for Dreamcast when Sega had partnerships established with Nintendo and Sony BEFOREHAND.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2001/02/03/sega-goes-third-party-nintendo-ties-announced h

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Here is an article published 3 days after Sega announced the discontinuation of the Dreamcast. As of February 3rd 2001, Sega were already planning on bringing their games to Nintendo, and Sony platforms. The article specifically notes that Sega have not yet mentioned any games coming to the Xbox. That's because MS and Sega didn't have a plan for any partnership until a month later.

So please explain to me how MS's and Sega partnership was the nail in the coffin for Dreamcast when Sega had partnerships established with Nintendo and Sony BEFOREHAND.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2001/02/03/sega-goes-third-party-nintendo-ties-announced h
Deals don’t happen overnight, you should know that, this would have been in discussion for months, and if you read the first link you’ll see the hardware stopped being made in March which is the same time the deal kicked off.

Kumomeme

before : blame Jim Ryan

now : blame Geoff

there is tons of GOTY award out there not just this one. i can see and get the appeal to win 'this' one but it is not represent everything.

kebaldo

Cringe article... even High Rush is better than Starfield but i don't see people screaming for its exlusion lol

MarkMe2525

Deals don’t happen overnight, you should know that, this would have been in discussion for months, and if you read the first link you’ll see the hardware stopped being made in March which is the same time the deal kicked off.
So that means that by your logic, Sony (and to some degree Nintendo) was the nail in the coffin as their deal was already prepared by February 3rd. As you said, these deals dont happen overnight, which implies Sega was talking to Sony before announcing they would discontinue the Dreamcast. Again, this refutes your claims. Stop with this nonsense, everything you have presented has been shown to go against your assertion.

Edit: If you can't accept the reality that you were wrong, you could just stop posting. Every step of the way you have been shown to be misrepresenting the undeniable facts of the matter. There is no need to post some more information that will undoubtedly just dig your hole deeper.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
When you have to use Sunset Overdrive as ammunition.

shaq-inside-the-nba.gif
BUT THE GAME SHOUTS OBVIOUS STATEMENTS AND LAMPSHADES AND IS THEREFORE FUNNY!

bitbydeath

So that means that by your logic, Sony (and to some degree Nintendo) was the nail in the coffin as their deal was already prepared by February 3rd. As you said, these deals dont happen overnight, which implies Sega was talking to Sony before announcing they would discontinue the Dreamcast. Again, this refutes your claims. Stop with this nonsense, everything you have presented has been shown to go against your assertion.

Edit: If you can't accept the reality that you were wrong, you could just stop posting. Every step of the way you have been shown to be misrepresenting the undeniable facts of the matter. There is no need to post some more information that will undoubtedly just dig your hole deeper.
I understand you won’t listen to reason as you are now creating strawmen, although you probably know you were wrong, there is no point continuing this conversation any further.

bender

What time is it?
BUT THE GAME SHOUTS OBVIOUS STATEMENTS AND LAMPSHADES AND IS THEREFORE FUNNY!

I actually bought an XBone for it after falling for the hype. Thankfully that was right around the time that Fast and Furious/Forza Horizon 2 collab happened and that got me hooked on that series.

MrA

Banned
I actually bought an XBone for it after falling for the hype. Thankfully that was right around the time that Fast and Furious/Forza Horizon 2 collab happened and that got me hooked on that series.
WOW THAT"S SO WACKY, BECAUSE VIDEO GAMES!
Sunset overdrive was so obnoxious

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Uncharted 3 plane setpiece is literally legendary in media overall and was ripped-off countless times. The weakest Uncharted is still miles better than any modern Tomb Raider.

U3 has it set of pacing blunders and plotholes, but like with classic Indy trilogy (for me mirroring Uncharted 2-3-4), it's not bad to be the last in the list of the industry's best.

Gears 3, in retrospect, was fun, but aside from shooting setpieces were uninspiring and the acting downright unintentional comedy. It's was also significantly watered down by forced (and pathetic story-wise) sequels like 4 and 5, so maybe py preception is skewed by that too. Peak Gears was 2. Boy was it terrific from start to finish.
What's funny is that when I first played Uncharted 3, I didn't think it was that great, I thought it was good, but not as good as the 2nd one. It was a game that felt like it was built with setpieces first and a story tacked on later with the last act being a rehash of the 2nd game.

However, for my most recent playthrough of the trilogy I actually found that I enjoyed Uncharted 3 the most and that stuff no longer bothered me as I found the character moments were still some of the best in the series. In a weird way I feel that the 3rd one is a better experience without the baggage of expectations of the previous games.

reinking

Gold Member
Stop being the victim.

Shame on you and go talk a milk bath.

P.S Just messing with you.

:p
I am no victim Sir. I am tired of people shaming MS when it is shown that they are victims in the gaming community/industry. People need to understand that Phil and company are doing so much with so little. They can't afford the massive marketing campaigns and bribes that Sony and Nintendo can. It is an uphill battle for them and voters for these types of awards need to take that into consideration.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I am no victim Sir. I am tired of people shaming MS when it is shown that they are victims in the gaming community/industry. People need to understand that Phil and company are doing so much with so little. They can't afford the massive marketing campaigns and bribes that Sony and Nintendo can. It is an uphill battle for them and voters for these types of awards need to take that into consideration.
I don't even know if this is sarcasm anymore here.
Nobody can really be thinking that right ....Right?

fallingdove

Can’t tell if serious.

MS can’t afford to compete? Doing so much with so little? Are you really that daft?

Can you not accept that when it comes down to it, the team at Xbox don’t have the capability to deliver best in class experiences? Be it their poor organization, their lack of creativity, whatever… These three companies are not on equal footing. Hell — Nintendo proves this time and time again; delivering amazing experiences with a fraction of the budget Xbox has access to.

We should be celebrating companies that have the vision, talent, and commitment to delivering quality products that meet the expectations of their customers. Instead, there are too many making excuses for Xbox and whining that the are unfairly being picked on. (The 360 being a perfect example of why this manufactured bias is so off base)

MarkMe2525

Can’t tell if serious.

MS can’t afford to compete? Doing so much with so little? Are you really that daft?

Can you not accept that when it comes down to it, the team at Xbox don’t have the capability to deliver best in class experiences? Be it their poor organization, their lack of creativity, whatever… These three companies are not on equal footing. Hell — Nintendo proves this time and time again; delivering amazing experiences with a fraction of the budget Xbox has access to.

We should be celebrating companies that have the vision, talent, and commitment to delivering quality products that meet the expectations of their customers. Instead, there are too many making excuses for Xbox and whining that the are unfairly being picked on. (The 360 being a perfect example of why this manufactured bias is so off base)
He is obviously being sarcastic.

Top Bottom