• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Has an Unfortunate 10 Year Streak at The Game Awards

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Xbox even with the new acquisitions isn’t likely to get GOTY nominations. Blizzard doesn’t make GOTY contenders anymore, and activision is just CoD which also doesn’t win .

Every other acquisition isn’t likely either. The only game if done right that could do it is elder scrolls 6 , but it needs major leaps over Skyrim and Starfield to get there.

That’s fine. Just make good games worth buying. The more gamepass offers the more I’m going to play in their ecosystem too. Which is what they want.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Starfield is easily a better game as a whole than Spiderman 1.5 or Zelda.
OIP.6gHaxZs91kuK8AX372sQZgEsCu

Why? So you can laugh at it?

I just skimmed bland lists of like 1000 games over the last 20 years so you can shit on it. Have fun. I'm sure I missed some, but this is my ultra fast and rushed guess of what I may have thought. Probably forgot some. My eyes are glazing over.

I did forget Gravity Rush in 2012. That gets my vote as well. Loved it.

2023: Starfield (so far)
2022: Pentiment
2021: Metroid Dread
2020: Streets of Rage 4
2019: I don't think I even found one I would want to give GOTY for this year. I enjoyed Bloodstained. I didn't play Disco Elysium or Astral Chain yet so maybe one of those if I ever get around to it. I'd have to keep looking. It wasn't a great for me and gaming.
2018: God of War
2017: Breath of the Wild
2016: Star Fox Zero / Guard (runner up Kirby: Planet Robobot)
2015: Splatoon (runner up MGS V)
2014: Bayonetta 2
2013: Splinter Cell: Blacklist
2012: Gravity Rush (runner up Dragon's Dogma)
2011: Skyward Sword
2010: Mass Effect 2 (runner up Castlevania Lords of Shadow)
2009: Demon's Souls (runner FFXIII)
2008: Ninja Gaiden 2 (runner up Prince of Persia)
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2006: Twilight Princess
2005: Resident Evil 4
2004: Ninja Gaiden
2003: Knights of the Old Republic
2002: Soul Calibur 2 (runner up Morrowind)
2001: Metal Gear Solid 2 (runner up FFX)
2000: FFIX (runner up THPS 2)
1999: Soul Reaver
1998: Ocarina of Time
1997: Goldeneye
1996: Mario 64
1995: Chrono Trigger
1994: Virtua Fighter 2 (arcade) (runner up FFVI)
1993: Mortal Kombat II (arcade)
1992: Streets of Rage 2
1991: A Link to the Past
1990: Super Mario World (runner up F-Zero)
1989: Shadow Dancer
1988: Ninja Gaiden
1987: Contra
1986: Zelda
1985: Mario
1984: Still shitting my pants and learning to talk at this point. But even back then, I was dreaming of a Xbox future and just waiting for my moment.
1983: Crawling
1982: In the womb

Why are you snubbing Microsoft so much, Miku. Not a single Halo title :messenger_astonished:

Solid list though! Lack of any Souls representation brings it down a notch

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why are you snubbing Microsoft so much, Miku. Not a single Halo title :messenger_astonished:

Solid list though! Lack of any Souls representation brings it down a notch
I considered Brute Force briefly for 2003 lol, but KOTOR is much better.

And I gave Demon's Souls the win in 2009. It's still the best souls game. I imported it and then bought it again when Atlus published it.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Aligned with their incompetence to create high quality (mainstream) triple A games besides Forza Horizon.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Well frankly they haven't released a game that deserves it or clearly deserves a place on the nominee list over the ones on it.

When they have released something brilliant it is niche like Flight Simulator.
Haven't released a game that deserves to be nominated - instantly lists a game that deserves to be nominated (if 10 million people at least trying it out is niche then that's one hell of a big niche) The absence of FH5 and GT7 tends to suggest that there is a specific type of game that gets to be nominated.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
MS promoted Redfall while sending Hi-Fi Rush to die with no hype. That's the leadership they have, it's only unfortunate that Xbox owners have to deal with shit management.
2022 - Elden Ring over GOW
2021 - It takes Two over Ratchet
2020 - TLOU2
2019 - Sekiro over Death Stranding
2018 - GOW
2017 - Zelda over Horizon
2016 - Overwatch over uncharted 4
2015 - Witcher 3 over Bloodborne

Thats 2 in the last 10 years.
Looking back Overwatch is by miles the worst winner. Holy fuck it is Dragon Age Acquisition [I forgot the subtitle, sue me] levels of shit winner.

Haven't released a game that deserves to be nominated - instantly lists a game that deserves to be nominated (if 10 million people at least trying it out is niche then that's one hell of a big niche) The absence of FH5 and GT7 tends to suggest that there is a specific type of game that gets to be nominated.

Trying it out doesn't mean jack shit sadly.

It's a niche genre that is PC centric. That doesn't make it appealing to the judges who broadly are console centric.

And yes, racing games wouldn't be nominated for it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I just skimmed bland lists of like 1000 games over the last 20 years so you can shit on it. Have fun. I'm sure I missed some, but this is my ultra fast and rushed guess of what I may have thought. Probably forgot some. My eyes are glazing over.

2022: Pentiment (runner up Bayonetta 3)
2021: Metroid Dread (runner up The Ascent)
2019: I don't think I even found one I would want to give GOTY for this year. I enjoyed Bloodstained. I didn't play Disco Elysium or Astral Chain yet so maybe one of those if I ever get around to it. I'd have to keep looking. It wasn't a great for me and gaming.
1985: Mario (runner up Duck Hunt)
1984: Still shitting my pants and learning to talk at this point. But even back then, I was dreaming of a Xbox future and just waiting for my moment.
Dude 2019 was arguably the best year last gen for single player games. how can you not find a single goty winner from all these fantastic single player campaigns?

sekiro
re2 remake
death stranding
star wars fallen order
control
metro exodus
days gone
gears of war 5
devil may cry 5
luigis mansion 3

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

You seem like you have good taste.

Which makes the 2023 choice baffling. Snorefield... in this packed year?

confused-dog.gif

I remember being on gamespot back in the day and in their forums, all the hardcore gamers were playing the imported copies from japan. So when Gamespot gave it goty over Uncharted 2, people really took notice. I was butthurt as an Uncharted fan, but looking back, they made the right call.

Demons isn’t my favorite but it’s good. I still consider Bloodborne the best in the series, followed by Elden Ring.

UC2 deserved 2009

I’m gonna switch to my superhero alter ego captain obvious for second, Microsoft hasn’t given a shit about quality since like 2010-2011? They only care about money.

Their downfall from Kinect to present is well documented. They are a mega corporation who want MONEY. That’s it. They don’t even have a fraction of care about art or quality control like PlayStation or Nintendo. Their vision for gaming is just GaaS games on a (their) streaming service. And everyone plays it everywhere. Phone. Tv. Ipad. Whatever. That’s their endgame

Thirty7ven

Banned
Pentiment was my GOTY last year and Starfield is my top choice this year, but I will finalize that in 6 weeks. Hi-Fi Rush is near the top as well. I've never considered any Xbox 1st party game GOTY prior to the last 2 years, so I think they're heading in the right direction. Forza is in my top 10 this year, but not a GOTY candidate, but I'm enjoying it.

Havent you said before that you only play gamepass games?

It's not a participation award. If they want to get nominated they need to put out exemplary games that really stand out.

Putting out filler games or serviceable games like they've been putting out for the last decade is why they haven't gotten any GOTY nominations. Their games simply aren't good enough to be considered for a GOTY.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Dude 2019 was arguably the best year last gen for single player games. how can you not find a single goty winner from all these fantastic single player campaigns?

sekiro
re2 remake
death stranding
star wars fallen order
control
metro exodus
days gone
gears of war 5
devil may cry 5
luigis mansion 3
I don't mind that Sekiro won everywhere. I respect that game a lot, but I couldn't finish it.
I bounced off Death Stranding. I may try it again some day.
I grew bored with Control. I plan on giving it another try as I'm kind of on a Remedy kick now.
I liked Days Gone but bailed in Act 3. Fun game.
I think RE2 Remake is great, but don't really want to give a remake GOTY.
I grew bored with DMC 5. I want that team to make a new IP personally.
Luigi's Mansion 3 is good, but I got stuck trying to play it with my girlfriend and she never had time for it, and I couldn't progress without her. Never got to finish it. I need to restart it.
Haven't played Metro.
Star Wars I did like a lot. Finished it. Fun game.

I would have to look in more detail for that year to really pick something I felt good about, and I'd want to play Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion and Disco Elysium at a minimum.

You seem like you have good taste.

Which makes the 2023 choice baffling. Snorefield... in this packed year?
Well I'm super into it.

I am baffled by the extent of the negativity, personally. I can see some of it, but the intensity of people's hate for it just feels like people are joking. But that's fine. I don't mind if people disagree with me.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

sekiro
re2 remake
death stranding
star wars fallen order
control
metro exodus
days gone
gears of war 5
devil may cry 5
luigis mansion 3
Rough year.

Sanepar

Just as there is a Nintendo and Sony bonus, there is a Microsoft penalty. Over the last 10 years they have released products that should at least be nominated.
At this point I don't now if American media outlets just hate American tech companies or what is the rationale.

Starfield is easily a better game as a whole than Spiderman 1.5 or Zelda.
So consumers too? Lol

Not having a single candidate in more than 10 years is horrible, we are no longer talking about winning, simply about having something "gotty quality" that Sony and Nintendo have delivered almost every year, this year it seemed that Starfield was going to be the first but he didn't measure up.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's pretty bad for MS, but it's also bad that it makes sense. Even if the writer of the editorial was right and GOW3 deserved a nod over Uncharted 3, that was 2011. I think a Forza Horizon 5 nomination would have been reasonable, but even if it were so, that's one instead of zero. MS has just not made enough great games, period.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
For the record, it was kind of fun to list out my whole gaming list. I feel like I'd read a whole thread on anyone that wants to try and get into that. I want a SlimySnake SlimySnake and James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford thread of all GOTY.
I’d give it a shot. It’s weird and starts getting immensely satisfying as you build out the world

Very chill game too
I really should. I like weird. Sometimes you just have to be in the right mood.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
For the record, it was kind of fun to list out my whole gaming list. I feel like I'd read a whole thread on anyone that wants to try and get into that. I want a SlimySnake SlimySnake and James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford thread of all GOTY.

i cant go that far back, but here it goes

2023 - Zelda ToTk
2022 - GOW Ragnorak
2021 - It Takes Two
2020 - TLOU2
2019 - Death Stranding
2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2
2017 - Horizon
2016 - The Last Guardian
2015 - Witcher 3
2014 - Gave it to Sunset overdrive back then because i had a love hate relationship with Destiny, but in retrospect, its probably Destiny
2013 - The Last of Us
2012 - Far Cry 3
2011 - Batman Arkham City
2010 - GOW3 until I played Mass Effect 2 in 2011
2009 - Uncharted 2
2008 - MGS4
2007 - Uncharted 1 but then i played Mass Effect 1 in 2010 so mass effect 1 with halo 3 as runner up. uncharted a distant 3rd.
2006 - Resistance until i played Gears of War in 2010.
2005 - Shadow of the Colossus
2004 - MGS3 - Half Life 2 runner up.
2003 - Nothing. Boring year.
2002 - GTA Vice City
2001 - MGS2 but would probably give it to Ico today.

Ueda, Kojima and Druckmann. Im a simple man.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Bro, your list is otherwise totally respectable but someone has to dump on you at least a little bit for this one. Star Fox Zero is horrible.
Well at least I'm consistent lol.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
i cant go that far back, but here it goes

2023 - Zelda ToTk
2022 - GOW Ragnorak
2021 - It Takes Two
2020 - TLOU2
2019 - Death Stranding
2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2
2017 - Horizon
2016 - The Last Guardian
2015 - Witcher 3
2014 - Gave it to Sunset overdrive back then because i had a love hate relationship with Destiny, but in retrospect, its probably Destiny
2013 - The Last of Us
2012 - Far Cry 3
2011 - Batman Arkham City
2010 - GOW3 until I played Mass Effect 2 in 2011
2009 - Uncharted 2
2008 - MGS4
2007 - Uncharted 1 but then i played Mass Effect 1 in 2010 so mass effect 1 with halo 3 as runner up. uncharted a distant 3rd.
2006 - Resistance until i played Gears of War in 2010.
2004 - MGS3 - Half Life 2 runner up.
2003 - Nothing. Boring year.
2002 - GTA Vice City
2001 - MGS2 but would probably give it to Ico today.

Ueda, Kojima and Druckmann. Im a simple man.
Yeah, definitely lots of Ueda. Always great games for sure. I do tend to forget about The Last Guardian more than I should. And I've definitely heard you talk a lot of Death Stranding as well that makes me want to play it. Nice list.

Almost no Nintendo is a huge departure from my list, but it's interesting.

Last edited:

laynelane

1991: A Link to the Past (runner up FFIV)

Demon's Souls was such a memorable moment in time for me. It hit all the right notes. Your list also reminded me I still need to play Chrono Trigger. I've heard nothing but good things and yet it's still sitting unplayed on my PS3. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Lots of difficult years where it was hard to decide on a winner, and other years where I was surprised that would have been my GOTY since it was so light. Later years for me are pretty light on Nintendo games, but there's quite a few times they would have rounded out my top 5.

Xbox only really has any coverage for me in the late Xbox 1 and early Xbox 360 era.

2023 - Final Fantasy XVI
2022 - Elden Ring
2021 - Returnal
2020 - Ghost of Tsushima
2019 - Death Stranding
2018 - God of War
2017 - Breath of the Wild
2016 - The Last Guardian
2015 - Bloodborne
2014 - Destiny
2013 - The Last of Us
2012 - Journey
2011 - Batman: Arkham City
2010 - Red Dead Redemption
2009 - Uncharted 2
2008 - LittleBigPlanet
2007 - God of War 2
2006 - Gears of War
2004 - Halo 2
2003 - Zelda: Wind Waker
2002 - Metroid Prime
2001 - Metal Gear Solid 2
2000 - Final Fantasy IX
1999 - Final Fantasy VIII
1998 - Zelda: Ocarina of Time
1997 - Final Fantasy VII
1996 - Super Mario 64
1995 - Chrono Trigger
1994 - Super Metroid
1993 - Secret of Mana
1992 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2
1991 - Zelda: Link to the Past
1990 - Super Mario World
1989 - Super Mario Land
1988 - Super Mario Bros. 3
1987 - Castlevania II
1986 - Zelda
1985 - Super Mario Bros

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lots of difficult years where it was hard to decide on a winner, and other years where I was surprised that would have been my GOTY since it was so light. Later years for me are pretty light on Nintendo games, but there's quite a few times they would have rounded out my top 5.

Xbox only really has any coverage for me in the late Xbox 1 and early Xbox 360 era.

2023 - Final Fantasy XVI
2022 - Elden Ring
2021 - Returnal
2020 - Ghost of Tsushima
2019 - Death Stranding
2018 - God of War
2017 - Breath of the Wild
2016 - The Last Guardian
2015 - Bloodborne
2014 - Destiny
2013 - The Last of Us
2012 - Journey
2011 - Batman: Arkham City
2010 - Red Dead Redemption
2009 - Uncharted 2
2008 - LittleBigPlanet
2007 - God of War 2
2006 - Gears of War
2004 - Halo 2
2003 - Zelda: Wind Waker
2002 - Metroid Prime
2001 - Metal Gear Solid 2
2000 - Final Fantasy IX
1999 - Final Fantasy VIII
1998 - Zelda: Ocarina of Time
1997 - Final Fantasy VII
1996 - Super Mario 64
1995 - Chrono Trigger
1994 - Super Metroid
1993 - Secret of Mana
1992 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2
1991 - Zelda: Link to the Past
1990 - Super Mario World
1989 - Super Mario Land
1988 - Super Mario Bros. 3
1987 - Castlevania II
1986 - Zelda
1985 - Super Mario Bro
Lots of cool choices! Castlevania 2, Wind Waker, FF8, Metroid Prime, Little Big Planet. Varied list.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Drop the console warrior persecution complex
Yeah this is all a conspiracy!

Or Xbox have not released a single game that is worthy of a GOTY title since the first Halo.

Who knows?
You don't believe that, do you? Seems impossible. In over two decades Xbox has NEVER WON one award? That doesn't seem bizarre at all? Like.....at all????

Cmon...let's not hazard looking daft to try and keep up this narrative that Sony and Nintendo are the only ones who have made excellent games. Hell, Xbox has been in the game for over two decades. They've definitely had some heavy hitting, award deserving games in all this time. Fuck the haters, one and all. It is what it is.

Top Bottom