• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will this year be the year that an Xbox first party game gets a TGA Game of the Year nomination?

Will this year be the year that an Xbox first party game gets a TGA Game of the Year nomination?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LakeOf9

I was looking at the TGA nominees list, and since the event started ten years ago, Microsoft has never had one nominee for the GOTY award. I actually went back to check the VGA awards (which are the older version of TGA) too and it looks like the last Xbox first party game nomination for GOTY was in 2010, with Halo Reach.

So, Xbox has now gone 13 years without a GOTY nominee. Do you think that finally changes this year?

This year, Xbox released Starfield, a generally well received game (but the most divisive Bethesda game since before Morrowind), and they released Hi Fi Rush, one of the highest rated and most beloved games of the year. Between those two, ordinarily I would assume at least one Xbox game would get a nomination this year.

But this year has been crazy packed with amazing games, so many that I can actually see a relatively lower rated game like Starfield, or a relatively smaller one like HFR, get overlooked. So in spite of MS actually having a good year in 2023, it's possible their GOTY nomination curse still doesn't break.

What do you think? Will this year finally be the one MS has a TGA nominated game?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Doubt It Season 8 GIF by The Office

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
They'll put Hi-Fi rush in some other category for art or something like that. Starfield will show up in Music or Best Xbox exclusive. Forza will show up in the racing and sports category. Phil will clap angrily while Keighly hands the trophy to Larian who held their Baldur's Gate 3 Xbox launch until their Game Awards win for maximum sales.

Maybe Hi-Fi Rush since they usually have one smaller/indie kinda game in the mix. But not Redfail, Starfailed or Failza.

edit: this made me wanna think of a fail name for hi fi rush just for the hell of it, best I can think of is FA-IL Much (yes i know its great and quality, just having fun)

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I can't wait for Geoff to tell me what games to like

tmlDan

Doubt it, despite HI-FI being their best game Starfield has the best chance - even then it's not universally loved.

Sethbacca

HiFi Rush was good but the hype on it disappeared after a week or two, Starfield is a maybe just based on pure hype but it's not gonna be a winner.

hepfom

There's no way that Geoff Keighley doesn't give one of the best sponsors of his marketing events a nomination for Starfield.

I don't really dislike anything Microsoft put out this year, well, other than massivley disappointed in Redfall. But there's nothing that they put out that even comes close to Baldur's Gate 3 or Tears of the Kingdom. Both are games of the generation kind of titles.

I'd say that Hi-Fi Rush has a decent shot at Xbox's GotY. But that's almost assuredly locked up by Starfield. But neither one really should be in the conversation for general GOTY, the gulf in quality is massive compared to ToTk and BG3.

diffusionx

Gold Member
TOTK, BG3, RE4 are locks. If SM2 is great then that's four. They'll probably throw Starfield a courtesy nod, maybe? What else would be the 5th? Street Fighter 6? Diablo 4? That game sucks though and everyone hates it now.

Last edited:

Del_X

Will Microsoft Studios be eligible for Doritos Pope’s Sacred Sacrament?

I don’t think so but I can’t tell you ANY game that ever won because video game award shows turn something fun (games) into something exhausting (an awards show).

I don't really pay much attention to these things.

But do games from niche genres actually win? I'm sure Forza is a great racing game but those aren't as mainstream as a RPG or action game.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s six nominees right? Six votes? Basically you gotta be high profile, and by that I mean the game had to have been talked about enough to be in the conversation.

Would be very surprised if High Fi Rush was nominated because it won’t have been played by many people. I would bet Starfield will get nominated, because at six nominations there are a lot of people that will at least put it on the list. Not being on either PlayStation nor Switch and not being exactly praised by PC centric outlets will work against it though.

Maybe.

K2D

Banned
It will definetly get an undeserved nomination. If it hadn't been for Baldur's Gate 3 I could even see it get an outrageous win..

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hi fi rush deserves one but it’s not going to happen. It will be Zelda, Mario, bg3

Top Bottom