• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discussion: Could/Should Remakes get game awards (specifically GOTY) nominations?

Should remakes be nominated in game awards categories?

• Yes, but not GOTY

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Yes, for all awards possible including GOTY

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • No, they should not be nominated for any awards

Votes: 17 20.7%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
I don't have any reason to believe that it wouldn't get the same level of attention. Fans would also probably be very hyped that this would be a new game with a returning fan-favorite character in a starring role instead of a boring new character like Ethan.
Okay, let's assume RE4 og never existed. RE4make releases exactly as it currently is but it was called Resident Evil 9: The Town. Would it still be considered worthy of being a GOTY nominee in 2023?

I understand a good game is a good game, but I really don't believe people truly regard these remakes separately. FFVII remake was the closest I've seen to being a completely different product. I think it might even have won some particular awards the year it came out.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Okay, let's assume RE4 og never existed. RE4make releases exactly as it currently is but it was called Resident Evil 9: The Town. Would it still be considered worthy of being a GOTY nominee in 2023?
C8wu.gif

Honestly, RE4 is one my favorite games of all time and in my opinion no remake could ever top it. Therefore, I approached this new version with a very critical eye, expecting it disappoint, and yet, it still managed to surprise me. And again, it was such a different experience that I didn't even think about the original while playing it, let alone looking at it through rose tinted glasses. I just enjoyed it as a great action horror game.

kicker

Banned
Honestly, RE4 is one my favorite games of all time and in my opinion no remake could ever top it. Therefore, I approached this new version with a very critical eye, expecting it disappoint, and yet, it still managed to surprise me. And again, it was such a different experience that I didn't even think about the original while playing it, let alone looking at it through rose tinted glasses. I just enjoyed it as a great action horror game.
That's fair, I guess. It is a really good game in the end.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What is the definition of remake? Is FFVII a remake? That seems like it is different enough to be its own thing, whereas TLOU 1 is just a rebuild of a remaster and it already had it's chance at awards.

Fbh

I'll repeat my earlier post since I think it applies here.

Basically, is RE4make different enough from RE4 that you consider it an entirely new game? FFVII remake maybe, but Dead Space?

Yes I think Re4R does enough to be considered a new titles and not just an update to an existing one. And thus I think it should be elegible for goty.
Does nostalgia play a role in the review score of remakes? maybe. But nostalgia or love for a franchise can also affect the review of new titles. For example I personally think there's no way Breath of the Wild would have gotten a 97 metascore if it had been presented as a new IP instead of a mainline Zelda game. Hell even fucking Skyward Sword has a 93 metascore and that game was like an 80 at best.

Also I think people shouldn't get so hung op on scores. Games get reviewed for what they are, and comparing two completely different titles with completely different styles and scopes just based on a score doesn't make sense.
Metroid Prime remaster getting a 94 to me just means "It's a very good remaster of a very good game", it doesn't mean "it's better than Forza Horizon 5"....because they are 2 completely different games in 2 completely different genres.

It's like when people lost their shit after IGN gave Nintendgos an 88.
That's wasn't IGN saying Nintendogs is a better than your favorite titles that got less than an 88. It's just them telling you that as a virtual pet simulator for casual audiences it's a solid product.

kicker

Banned
Yes I think Re4R does enough to be considered a new titles and not just an update to an existing one. And thus I think it should be elegible for goty.
Based on your post, I figure the answer to this question will be yes, but I'll ask anyway:
Okay, let's assume RE4 og never existed. RE4make releases exactly as it currently is but it was called Resident Evil 9: The Town instead. Would it still be considered worthy of being a GOTY nominee in 2023?

But nostalgia or love for a franchise can also affect the review of new titles. For example I personally think there's no way Breath of the Wild would have gotten a 97 metascore if it had been presented as a new IP instead of a mainline Zelda game
To your later point, yes, nostalgia affects the general perception of franchise entries. Except I would argue it is *far* less than for remakes simply because remakes are made based on the popularity of the original game which was already successful. The question above stands here.
Remakes on the other hand are almost always made of games that are widely loved. They exist *because* nostalgia will drive sales and impressions far more than objective quality.

Also I think people shouldn't get so hung op on scores. Games get reviewed for what they are, and comparing two completely different titles with completely different styles and scopes just based on a score doesn't make sense.
Metroid Prime remaster getting a 94 to me just means "It's a very good remaster of a very good game", it doesn't mean "it's better than Forza Horizon 5"....because they are 2 completely different games in 2 completely different genres.

It's like when people lost their shit after IGN gave Nintendgos an 88.
That's wasn't IGN saying Nintendogs is a better than your favorite titles that got less than an 88. It's just them telling you that as a virtual pet simulator for casual audiences it's a solid product.
If you're referring to the op where I put the highest rated games of the year so far, that was just to quantify what a lot of people have been saying. That the RE4make, Dead Space, and Metroid remakes/remasters have been their best experiences of the year so far.
Of course, there's still a lot of games to come out.

I'm not saying the work put into remakes shouldn't be recognized, I just think it would be a shame if remake nostalgia is the reason a game like Hi-Fi rush doesn't get recognition while remakes (which I consider to be alternate versions of the same game) do.

EDMIX

I FUCKING LOVE RE4R buy in my eyes Remake shouldn’t be part GOTY they are based on already existing game. GOTY should be for new IP or new entry…..but that’s just me.

I used to think that, now I'm like...fuck it lol

A good game is a good game, being based on an existing game is irrelevant as something from 20 or 30 years ago has no relevance to the remake being a great game the year of its release. If it is the best game that year, it should win that award.

GOTY should be for THE BEST GAME that year, regardless of new IP, sequel, remaster, remake etc.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

A good game is a good game, being based on an existing game is irrelevant as something from 20 or 30 years ago has no relevance to the remake being a great game the year of its release. If it is the best game that year, it should win that award.

GOTY should be for THE BEST GAME that year, regardless of new IP, sequel, remaster, remake etc.
It doesn't even matter who wins GOTY at end of the day, if I enjoyed the game then my feeling is not going to change regardless it wins GOTY or not, same with games I didn't enjoy.

Last edited:

Banned
Remakes yes, remasters no.

Metroid Prime is not a remake, and therefore NO for that game.
Resident Evil 4 is a remake, and therefore it's fair game.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think they should, but if outside their own category, they should not be simply remasters, they'd have to basically be redone experiences like RE2R or FF7R, or at least have great gameplay additions or changes over the same idea of original game since using previous game setup doesn't exclude a game from being totally new from a gameplay perspective.

Metroid Prime Remaster and TLOU P1 would only opt for best re-release or maybe best graphics categories but not for GOTY or any other category like Best adventure or actions game.

Games like Mario Kart 8D or another Wii U port on Switch don't bring enough changes to original formula to be considered basically new games with reused setup, but examples like those wouldn't even compete against others like Dead Space, which shouldn't opt for best Horror game or GOTY, but could for Best re-release or best graphics.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Remasters? No.
Remakes? Yes.
Problem is how you make sure something is a remaster or a remake, since those terms are so freely used as marketing slangs... TLOU P1 and DeS are just remastered labelled as remakes, they only mostly redid the graphics, while Crash and a Spyro trilogies are complete remakes labelled as remasters... I think what had to define one thing or the other is the level of changes made in one aspect and that aspect is the one to be competing like graphics, gameplay, sound design, etc.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Problem is how you make sure something is a remaster or a remake, since those terms are so freely used as marketing slangs... TLOU P1 and DeS are just remastered labelled as remakes, they only mostly redid the graphics, while Crash and a Spyro trilogies are complete remakes labelled as remasters... I think what had to define one thing or the other is the level of changes made in one aspect and that aspect is the one to be competing like graphics, gameplay, sound design, etc.
DeS is. TLOU1 isn’t. The only reason they said remake instead of remaster because they will sell it at 70. I don’t take away from the developer’s work TLOU1 but aside from graphics and some small changes it is pretty much the same game. Is Metriod Prime a remake? No. Just because the dev want TLOU1 to become a remake no it is not.

Kataploom

Gold Member
DeS is. TLOU1 isn’t. The only reason they said remake instead of remaster because they will sell it at 70. I don’t take away from the developer’s work TLOU1 but aside from graphics and some small changes it is pretty much the same game. Is Metriod Prime a remake? No. Just because the dev want TLOU1 to become a remake no it is not.
AFAIK DeS is using same game logic as the original, even dumb-ass AI wasn't touched, but haven't played it and go with I saw in release days

hemo memo

Gold Member
AFAIK DeS is using same game logic as the original, even dumb-ass AI wasn't touched, but haven't played it and go with I saw in release days
Use the simple method I use. Is the general consumer going to confuse it with the previous game? If yes it is a remaster. If maybe it is a remaster. If no then it is a remake. No one is going to confuse RE4 for a remaster. No one is going to confuse DeS with the previous game. No one is going to look at Ratchet and Clank with the old game. If I put TLoU1 on people will confuse with the old game/remaster. The remaster was 1st at amazon when Part1 released because people were confused.

EDMIX

It doesn't even matter who wins GOTY at end of the day, if I enjoyed the game then my feeling is not going to change regardless it wins GOTY or not, same with games I didn't enjoy.

Same. I don't really know if any year a remake was my favorite, favorite title, we had some great remakes too.

If Sekrio didn't come out in 2019, I would have actually put Resident Evil 2 remake as my favorite game that year. I think GOTY should be about what is the best, what someone enjoyed the most and if that happens to be a remake, then so be it. (2019 had some good ass games lol) .

Well this year has some great games too.

FFXVI, Spiderman 2, Starfield etc

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

I think the greater effort in any particular remake will be met with praise and success and should have access to these awards due to the reasons stated in your post.

hemo memo

Gold Member
....Yes. Because even if they're remakes, they're modern games released that year, which makes them feel fitting to me.
Already a big effort goes to remakes that they are pretty much different games. RE4/FF7R etc.

Remasters are not. It is like a rerelease of an old game in a different year and expect to win that year.

MiguelItUp

Already a big effort goes to remakes that they are pretty much different games. RE4/FF7R etc.

Remasters are not. It is like a rerelease of an old game in a different year and expect to win that year.
Wholeheartedly agree. Remakes are clearly much more work, albeit some more than others. But remasters are just old engines being upscaled/slightly improved for the most part.

Top Bottom