• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Xbox won the Game Awards 2023

nick776

Switch 2 and PS5 Pro come out next year. They'll crowd out whatever market remains for Xbox Series. There are no major games coming out before GTA6 that are going to change that momentum in favor of the Xbox, when GTA6 comes out the place to play it will be on the PS5 Pro. It's going to be Hogwarts Legacy on steroids.

People who make their livelihoods off the console war are getting nervous because they know the market for the Switch 2 and PS5 are likely to remain separate.

I'm not sure how Microsoft takes the coming reduction in market share into the decision to make another console after this.

I can see at the end of the generation PS5 at 120-140 million units and XBS at 30-40 million units. Another generation with this direction, and the next Xbox will sell 15-25 million units. Not sure that will ultimately maintain 3rd party support and exclusives are entirely off the table.
This is what is baffling to me. Why in the world would Microsoft think it makes any sense at all to NOT release a Series X Pro (or whatever it would be called)? Everyone who wants the "best" console experience will buy all third party games on PS5 Pro. Decisions like this are what I referenced in another post about a death by a thousand cuts--Microsoft seems to make MANY smaller dumb decisions (no Series X Pro, releasing the Series S/X with the same controller XBO had and letting 4 years pass and STILL not releasing an upgraded controller, releasing Series S in the first place, the list just goes on and on). I think a bunch of "suits" at Microsoft make the decisions and none of them really understand the video game market the same way Nintendo and Sony do. Until they change that, they will perpetually lose the race.

bender

What time is it?
This is what is baffling to me. Why in the world would Microsoft think it makes any sense at all to NOT release a Series X Pro (or whatever it would be called)? Everyone who wants the "best" console experience will buy all third party games on PS5 Pro. Decisions like this are what I referenced in another post about a death by a thousand cuts--Microsoft seems to make MANY smaller dumb decisions (no Series X Pro, releasing the Series S/X with the same controller XBO had and letting 4 years pass and STILL not releasing an upgraded controller, releasing Series S in the first place, the list just goes on and on). I think a bunch of "suits" at Microsoft make the decisions and none of them really understand the video game market the same way Nintendo and Sony do. Until they change that, they will perpetually lose the race.

Maybe asking 3rd parties to support three SKUs is a bridge to far, especially considering their modest hardware sales and their focus (GamePass) has basically taught their userbase to not purchase games.

Kilau

I’m definitely more interested in Hellblade and whatever Kojima is doing but I don’t agree Xbox somehow won the night. I also think it’s dishonest to dismiss Rebirth exclusivity when all the Xbox games come to PC day one. If Rebirth isn’t exclusive because of PC in 3 months then none of these Xbox games are either.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think both Sony and Nintendo have both bowed out. They both have nothing to prove at this point and can generate their own hype cycles.
I suppose...I still miss the old Sony though...Playstation Experience or PSX...Flute Guy for Ghosts of Tsushima...Cirque du Soliel. They had events that just oozed class and a premium experience. Look what we get now. A 30 minute hit and miss pre-recorded video. I guess they figured as long as we don't lose sales, why spend millions putting together a real show for our customers. Your comment there pretty much proves them right.

nick776

Maybe asking 3rd parties to support three SKUs is a bridge to far, especially considering their modest hardware sales and their focus (GamePass) has basically taught their userbase to not purchase games.
Yep, another dumb decision--pushing GamePass instead of following the Sony PSN Plus Model where people actually PAY for GOOD first party games BECAUSE THEY ARE GREAT GAMES. Xbox has none of that, yet they have been buying studios since 2018. Heck, Playground use to churn out a Forza Horizon every 2 years. Why did Microsoft abandon that?

Three

Xbox has none of that, yet they have been buying studios since 2018. Heck, Playground use to churn out a Forza Horizon every 2 years. Why did Microsoft abandon that?
Because they're not selling games anymore for a living. They're releasing a GaaS on a service. Why go through the trouble of developing a new game every 2 years and have that added cost when you don't need game releases/sales to drive revenue.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Both Helldivers and Ronin are published by Sony (at least in the West, its self published in Japan). So its first party like Nioh for Sony or Fire Emblem Warriors for Nintendo.
Rise of the Ronin is published by SIE in Japan as well.
sYBjCMF.jpg

Timing is everything. PS5 Pro has probably been in R&D since the launch of the PS5 if not earlier.

It appears Microsoft had no plans for a 3rd model, since that would take a lot of effort to support 3 different models AND PC and maybe they thought the payoff wasn't there like some of these posters who only think the previous gen's pro consoles were for 4K graphics in the advent of 4KTVs.

Ultimately, this is more like a stab wound than a cut.

I've talked about it before, Microsoft makes a lot of decisions that by themselves make sense, but when put together generally don't. Having the controller work on the new system is a strong move to retain players from the Xbox One userbase and carry them over, and they would know they were at risk for losing out on those players. If they put out a new controller too, none of the enhancements could be required in games, lest they not work with the old controllers. That's why Sony said you can use Dual Shock 4 on PS5, but only with PS4 games, which they got some flack for.

Releasing a haptic controller now just doesn't really do much, since again, all games have to work without it.

The Series S makes sense on paper too. People are very concerned about price, but gamers aren't necessarily cheap. All things being equal they might go with the cheaper console, but they don't want a cheaper model, and the XSS doesn't compete well in family or kid games with the Switch.

Even if you understood the market better, the damage has been done. That's why you see such negative coverage in the media for Sony, despite them having potentially a record sales year and Microsoft is in the 3rd year of their console life cycle and are already in massive decline. Excluding something like the Wii U, I don't know that we've seen a performance like this since like the Dreamcast.

They've lost this generation and the damage will carry over to the next generation.

If the PS5 drops in price after the Pro unit comes out, it'll be even more difficult for the XSX to compete because of the digital PS5 Slim.

I suppose...I still miss the old Sony though...Playstation Experience or PSX...Flute Guy for Ghosts of Tsushima...Cirque du Soliel. They had events that just oozed class and a premium experience. Look what we get now. A 30 minute hit and miss pre-recorded video. I guess they figured as long as we don't lose sales, why spend millions putting together a real show for our customers. Your comment there pretty much proves them right.

Depending on where things land with the Switch 2, Sony may really need to up their effort. We'll have to wait and see. Also they wanted 25 million sold this fiscal year and I think they'll come up shy, so again the lack of marketing I don't know if it is actually doing them any favors.

I can see why they didn't do it when they were selling out of PS5s immediately, but now they have inventory, and should be trying to push it as quickly as they can.

I'm hopefully we'll get a PlayStation Experience next summer. We should hear about this about 6 months in advance, so if the show were to be held in August, we should hear about it by the end of March.

S0ULZB0URNE

I thought the first Helldivers was made by a internal studios, not just published

There's a difference between a partnership and internal studios, Which is why I only brought up Blade in my original post.
I don't know if Ronin is a Bloodborne situation or not.
Like Bloodborne Sony has people working on this.

Yoboman

I thought the first Helldivers was made by a internal studios, not just published

There's a difference between a partnership and internal studios, Which is why I only brought up Blade in my original post.
Kojima is an Xbox internal studio now! The more you know

Kataploom

Gold Member
The biggest game of the year was Baldurs Gate and Xbox took 5ever to unwrite their wrongs to get that solved. Get real.

Phils the biggest joker in the industry. His comments this year have been appalling to witness
Yet they looked better than Sony in the TGA. I was watching it with very Sonier friends which were saying how disapointed they are with Sony this year and how bad it looks for next year, I think we can all agree that they don't look in as good shape as they did before.

Let's remember they're not Nintendo, which we can see nothing for next 6 months and then the following month they'll fill all year of releases in a Nintendo Direct. If Sony isn't showing much, they barely have something in the pool, the advantage they have is consumer's trust, they can wait for Sony for some time to get in shape again.

vivftp

Yet they looked better than Sony in the TGA. I was watching it with very Sonier friends which were saying how disapointed they are with Sony this year and how bad it looks for next year, I think we can all agree that they don't look in as good shape as they did before.

Let's remember they're not Nintendo, which we can see nothing for next 6 months and then the following month they'll fill all year of releases in a Nintendo Direct. If Sony isn't showing much, they barely have something in the pool, the advantage they have is consumer's trust, they can wait for Sony for some time to get in shape again.

This is a list of confirmed/leaked SIE first party and published content along with console exclusive content that'll drop in 2024

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
MLB24
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Concord
Helldivers 2
Foamstars
Baby Steps
Pacific Drive
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
TLOU Part 2 PS5/PC
Final Fantasy 16 (second DLC)
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Granblue Fantasy Relink

Other content that's rumored that could land in 2024 is:

Spider-Man 2 DLC
DS2
Wolverine
Project Mugen

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Yep, another dumb decision--pushing GamePass instead of following the Sony PSN Plus Model where people actually PAY for GOOD first party games BECAUSE THEY ARE GREAT GAMES. Xbox has none of that, yet they have been buying studios since 2018. Heck, Playground use to churn out a Forza Horizon every 2 years. Why did Microsoft abandon that?

That’s like saying Netflix shouldn’t have existed, but rather iTunes model was better. I just don’t agree. In business, recurring revenue is the holy grail, and that’s what every company is moving to: services.

Secondly, you only need one Forza per generation, milking franchises ruins them, like COD and others.

Three

That’s like saying Netflix shouldn’t have existed, but rather iTunes model was better. I just don’t agree. In business, recurring revenue is the holy grail, and that’s what every company is moving to: services.

Secondly, you only need one Forza per generation, milking franchises ruins them, like COD and others.
Disagree, GaaS leads to stagnation. Look at the release of Halo Infinite or FM. Instead of the requirement to build a product that improves the previous one so that people have a reason to buy it you don't need to improve much at all. In fact you can regress and it wouldn't matter much as long as you are getting your GaaS money. You're getting income from some added skin or consumable, not on making something better than the last.

Last edited:
These type of things are subjective but I thought it was a meh showing by Xbox and I feel like that's being a little generous. The hellblade trailer was nice but I'm suppose to be hyped for OD when we have no idea wtf it even is. Game was announced over 18 months to the public btw and we still don't know what it is and if it's even a "game." Similar to blade, that game it probably years away. And just a total LOL about BG3 finally getting released for Xbox.

I don't think sony killed it by any means, but they have GoW DLC, hell divers 2, FF rebirth, and rise of the Ronin releasing all on their consoles exclusively within the next 4 months...

StueyDuck

Wouldn't winning the game awards require winning the most game awards.

These numpties know that these companies pay for slots to show these things. You don't "win" what you pay for 🤣. It's not like all developers threw their trailers in a hat and luckily xbox got pulled the most 🤣

It's so weird constantly reading these MS one up threads and then in-between you see threads like Xbox outsold by playstation 90/10 in France or Germany.

This is just MS blowing millions as usual to try stay relevant. They didn't "play" it so well. They "pay" it so well.
Yup. We hear the same thing every year and when sales results come out the PS5 is way ahead in sales and marketshare. It's almost like its targeted astroturfing or marketing lol.

It's so weird constantly reading these MS one up threads and then in-between you see threads like Xbox outsold by playstation 90/10 in France or Germany.

This is just MS blowing millions as usual to try stay relevant. They didn't "play" it so well. They "pay" it so well.

"Destin told me I'm supposed to do a pinned comment so here's a pinned comment. Sub if you like this sort of thing! - " - Paul Tassi

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...ystation-in-the-dust-in-2022/?sh=7625a13243ab

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...ne-clear-advantage-over-sony/?sh=6bb685ec4f28

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...y-quietly-raises-prices-through-the-roof/amp/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2019/01/13/__trashed-18/?sh=54997272828c

Dazraell

One of my favourite moments of TGA's was that Starfield accolades commercial showing all of the 10s and proclaiming it as masterpiece and then followed with Starfield losing in a single category it was nominated

I have no idea who the hell at Microsoft thought it was a good idea to air this commercial during awards. This was just embarrassing. They should have a normal commercial without accolades or something promoting upcoming DLCs. It wouldn't come as tone deaf as it did

OuterLimits

I usually laugh at Paul Tassi articles but he isn't entirely incorrect on this. Sony is doing great on selling consoles but the first party software is dire in comparison to prior generation of theirs in my opinion. Especially since we are getting close to the midpoint of the generation. I expected that to be the case for PSVR2 but not the PS5.

I realize some want to count 3rd party exclusives Sony has(Like the slightly above average Final Fantasy) but I buy Sony consoles for their usually excellent first party stuff.

BlueLyria

Like Bloodborne Sony has people working on this.
Aight, that clarifies it a bit, Is the IP a joint ownership too?
Kojima is an Xbox internal studio now! The more you know
Do you have issues with reading comprehension? MY post did not bring up Kojima's game, exactly because it's a partnership/funding, please read the previous posts before replying, Idk why you keep trying to bring it up towards me.
My entire point is that it was a lackluster show for all the internal studios regarding announcements.

Quiet, can’t remind people that everyone is moving towards services.

S0ULZB0URNE

Aight, that clarifies it a bit, Is the IP a joint ownership too?

Do you have issues with reading comprehension? MY post did not bring up Kojima's game, exactly because it's a partnership/funding, please read the previous posts before replying, Idk why you keep trying to bring it up towards me.
My entire point is that it was a lackluster show for all the internal studios regarding announcements.
Can't find much but this...

Yamagiwa did Bloodborne with FromSoftware.

Last edited:
Who even pays attention for or cares about the Loser Awards nowadays anyways? Every game is good is good in its own ways, even the bad ones and the literal walking simulators are. Whoever uses the game awards as some metric, benchmark or golden standard by which only the good games reign supreme or should be judged by isn't a real gamer in my opinion. Play what you enjoy and don't let the opinions of some bought out game show affect how you view them.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Truth This Is True GIF by Ford

I don't think ive really seen anything with Sony branding from the show. The whole conversation has been around baldurs gate 3 and Microsoft.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Much of the reason you shouldn't put much weight in it. It's all Xbox (and/or its zealots) can boast about. In the real world, no one gives two shits about some meaningless accolades of an award show (other than the GOTY).

Come Jan, when holiday sales numbers are in and FFVII: Rebirth is talk of the town, Forbes will retreat back to irrelevance.

Last edited:
They had a decent show for sure, but I don't think anything they showed will actually move the needle.

I think we can all see they aren't comfortable with the impact Starfield had. That was a pretty shameless plug and desperate advertisement. That's the sign of disappointment.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Switch 2 and PS5 Pro come out next year. They'll crowd out whatever market remains for Xbox Series. There are no major games coming out before GTA6 that are going to change that momentum in favor of the Xbox, when GTA6 comes out the place to play it will be on the PS5 Pro. It's going to be Hogwarts Legacy on steroids.

People who make their livelihoods off the console war are getting nervous because they know the market for the Switch 2 and PS5 are likely to remain separate.

I'm not sure how Microsoft takes the coming reduction in market share into the decision to make another console after this.

I can see at the end of the generation PS5 at 120-140 million units and XBS at 30-40 million units. Another generation with this direction, and the next Xbox will sell 15-25 million units. Not sure that will ultimately maintain 3rd party support and exclusives are entirely off the table.

There will be like 18 months before gta vi. I hope there's some good games on series and ps5 until then.

Can't wait for switch 2, I was hoping it would come out in March to be honest. For my birthday.

But yeah, hopefully there's some amazing games next year from all 3 and third parties.

Woopah

There is indeed a difference, but they are still first party games all the same.

Ronin and Helldivers are first party games developed by external studios. Just like Bloodbourne or Spiderman PS4 were for Sony, or Smash Bros Ultimate or Bayonetta 3 were for Nintendo.
If I recall, Phil had referred to BG3 as "Stadia second run" . Maybe Larian not mentioning it out for Xbox was just a little Karma coming Phil's way.
Anyway Starfield did not get the award,and neither did Spider-Man. Larian must be over the moon, triumphing over 2 huge first party games.
BG3 was indeed initially planned as second run, so there's no karma from that statement.
I think both Sony and Nintendo have both bowed out. They both have nothing to prove at this point and can generate their own hype cycles.
Sony was there with 3 trailers so I don't think we can say they bowed out.

Nintendo did indeed bow out, probably because they have the Switch 2 reveal event early next year.
Rise of the Ronin is published by SIE in Japan as well.
sYBjCMF.jpg
Ah interesting, thanks!

Killjoy-NL

the problem isn't the exclusives, the problem is the lack of announcements, we know jack shit about their first party projects and there is a shit storm of Gaas( that no one asked for ) games comming our way.
Rather have them follow MS and keep showing games with no release date?

Besides, apart from some forum-goers that whine about lack of announcements, nobody cares and keep buying PS5.
Even Portal is outselling Xbox in certain markets and selling out the moment they're back in stock.

Top Bottom