• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 is GAME OF THE YEAR 2023!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
At some point I'll get the game on Steam or GOG when it's cheap.

But a quick q's.

Is the game totally scripted? Or are some things randomized?

- Levels/maps
- Monster encounters
- Loot
It has a huge learning curve if you are going to be playing it for the first time. It's really hard to explain so just watch some videos or just pay attention at the start of the game. It's scripted but also feels organic as in your choices will give you radically different results.

Last edited:

Madflavor

a wokes CRPG beats the best game ever

smile-tommy-boy.gif

I gotta say, watching you since May post over and over about how much you want to cum all over TotK, garnished with your Chris Farley posts, the karma is delicious.

CT5KpTq.jpg

Last edited:

Tg89

Agreed.

Look at this game, RDR2, GTA VI. I feel a greater conversation needs to be had regarding how long it really takes to create a AAA title of great quality and how open developers should be about early access.

I felt this with BF2042's release, sure its doing better now and added so much more content, features and corrections, but like CP 2077, did customers need to go for that ride paying full price for something so incomplete and riddled with issues?

Please folks, I don't want any of you to get this idea that I love BG3 unconditionally, I love it with the condition that it released working, with amazing voice acting, great quality and solid design...IF it released in 2020 like some other...um.....early access in secrets type fucking SCAM GaaS type games, I probably would have had the same view on BG3. Gamers are not upset about a delay or issues, as much as they are upset about being lied to about it and paying full price under some belief the game is completed and done. Its not even JUST about respecting the players wallet, respect their fucking time. I can always make more money, i can never make more time.

So I fully understand its asking waaaaay too much to believe that BG3 should be a standard, they are cut above many like Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Kojima, Insomniac etc, its crazy to ask anyone else to be to that level, BUT...hear me the fuck out, maybe a standard can be had with AAA titles regarding early access.

If its really, really taking you this long, just give players an option to join in on that feedback with the complete transparent understanding that they are not playing the FINAL thing, they are playing the alpha, beta, etc.

Gamers get input and get to play it early
The end product is better
Company gets tons of positive press and great sales upon release

This is a win, win, win.
The business end just isn't realistic unfortunately. None of these big publishers would sign off on selling a small part of your game early and then selling the rest of it later. They need to be able to say shit like "Most sales in the first 2 hours after release ever".

BG3 worked in that regard because it's still a niche genre and you had a lot of people who probably hadn't even heard of the game or played a CRPG that discovered it once it got all the positive coverage leading up to and at release. The people who did know about it are also mostly aware of the concept of early access and what they were signing up for. Those other games wouldn't similarly fly under the radar. If GTAVI was available tomorrow at noon in early access you'd have 40 million people playing a broken GTA and many of them not understanding why that's normal and expected.

That said, I'll point to TOTK because it is far more complicated under the hood than any of those broken games and it launched just fine. So even if those other devs can't take the BG3 approach, they can do better.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

And the sky is blue. It wasn't really a contest for me. One of the best games of my adult life and that's with all the bugs.

NeoLed

At some point I'll get the game on Steam or GOG when it's cheap.

But a quick q's.

Is the game totally scripted? Or are some things randomized?

- Levels/maps
- Monster encounters
- Loot
Mostly fixed. Maybe vendor's normal potions and scrolls are randomized a little

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's factual at time of posting. It "was" an exclusive and achieved excellent sales on playstation. Xbox missed out because of the series S.

How much did it sell on Playstation? I don't think Larian has ever revealed that.

It wasn't even the top downloaded game in September, the month it came out.

Anyway, that's besides the point. It's out on Xbox at the start of the GoTY season and no site's gonna note its playstation exclusivity when awarding it (outside of PS specific websites maybe)./

Last edited:

Moonjt9

Gay and/or black characters =WoKe

92d.jpg

AMIRITE GUYS?!?
Yeah it’s pretty weird. I hate woke shit just as much as anyone, but BG3 doesn’t force an agenda on the player or anything. All those characters feel natural and well defined as just their own characters. Other games that put diversity on their checklist ran that shit down the players’ throats which is what makes that stuff so unbearable.

I haven’t thought about gay black minority woke anything while playing BG3. The characters are just who they are and that’s it. The way it should be.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I gotta say, watching you since May post over and over about how much you want to cum all over TotK, garnished with your Chris Farley posts, the karma is delicious.

CT5KpTq.jpg
96 metacritics highests exclusives score sales this gen dont need no crud award Im sorry I am nort mad at BG3 my friends congratulations i dont play crpgs

TOTK GOTG
Gay and/or black characters =WoKe

92d.jpg

AMIRITE GUYS?!?

1741ae82-5f84-475b-818b-5e47e60deaa1-bg3-bear-luv.jpg

Last edited:

Kerotan

How much did it sell on Playstation? I don't think Larian has ever revealed that.

Anyway, that's besides the point. It's out on Xbox at the start of the GoTY season and no site's gonna note its playstation exclusivity when awarding it (outside of PS specific websites maybe)./
It's more about its impact. It was a very good exclusive for playstation the month star field didn't live up to it's hype and sell xboxs.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Didn't get to watch the awards, but this is 100% deserved. Easily far and away the best game of the year.

And it did it all while falling into one of the most niche categories that I can think of. They made a game so good that it had mainstream players lining up to play a turn-based RPG that uses dice as its core mechanic.

Outlier

BRAVO! Well deserved! I'm still currently playing it. Beaten multiple times. I just can't get enough of thing that can happen.

Neither Spider-Man 2 or Tears of the Kingdom won so I am happy. Lies of P got robbed though.

Nintendo and Sony fans right now:
dawsons creek dawson GIF

P.S. The presentations for Alan Wake 2 were so bonkers at TGA 2023 that you would think they won!

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
OeKep5Z.jpg

The Xbox Series version of Baldur’s Gate III is also now available via Microsoft Store for $69.99, developer Larian Studios announced.

Baldur’s Gate III first launched in Early Access for PC via Steam and GOG on October 6, 2020, followed by a full launch for PC on August 3, 2023 and PlayStation 5 on September 6, 2023.

Voiceover and acting carried the whole thing. And they got a goty, not bad.

NOMINATIONS FOR THE GAME AWARDS ARE SELECTING BY A VOTING JURY OF OVER 100 LEADING MEDIA AND INFLUENCER (!) OUTLETS ACROSS THE GLOBE.

When there is no goty worthy material, maybe do not give the award to anyone.

Last edited:

Three

It was second behind NBA2k, so what? Besides wtf has sales figures got to do with what was posted here:

It's hilarious how the game of the year was a playstation console exclusive because MS released the shitty underpowered Series S.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was second behind NBA2k, so what? Besides wtf has sales figures got to do with what was posted here:

My post was in reply to a post which directly mentioned sales. Not the one you quoted from the previous page.

It's factual at time of posting. It "was" an exclusive and achieved excellent sales on playstation. Xbox missed out because of the series S.

If you're going to cross-quote, at least do it properly. 🤷‍♂️

nowhat

Can we please get a soft-ban on every fuckin' thread turning into a woke-whinefest.
You know, I don't agree with you often (or when I do, I just don't say it), but fuck yes. Let us just celebrate Larian's success together.

...and fuck bears, of course.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

It was never going to sell amazingly well on console but I think most people knew that. They just used it for console warring due to the hype around it. It wouldn't suprise me if sales are like 10 to 1 in favour of PC.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I'm so happy for Larian, and gaming in general. BG3 set a bar for CRPGs so high and such dedication it will be a real feat to top it, and that's why it won.

Top Bottom