• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro is TGA's 2019 GOTY

brap

Banned
We did it Sekibros... We won...

jKbTOqo.png

Games journalists blown the FUCK out. No easy mode for the weak.

I was so shocked it actually won I gasped, but I'm so glad it did.

But for me it was shocking to have actually played 2019's game of the year already, first time that's happened in years, I've been lagging behind on new releases for years and have only played handful of 2019 games.

Haven't played it yet, despite getting platinum trophies for all previous Souls games and Bloodborne. Was waiting to see if any DLC was going to be announced for it. Doesn't look like it so I'll be delving into it in about a month or so.

renzolama

Sekiro is an amazing game and deserving, but to be honest only two of the other games were anywhere close to what I'd consider a full quality GOTY package and they're both remakes/ports. Control and Outer Worlds being in contention for GOTY is absurd, guaranteed they'll be showing up on 'Best 7/10 games' articles a couple years from now, and Death Stranding is a remarkable game but way too divisive and filled with style-over-substance design choices. It was a pretty whelming year for gaming overall, all the real heavy hitters got scheduled or pushed to 2020.

Edit: Also Kingdom Hearts III nominated for best RPG? lol, literally no one thought Kingdom Hearts III was a good video game even the people who played and enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I didn't make it past the first orgre boss......how shit am I lol
Fight him when you get flame thrower, it makes the fight much easier, also DONT try to dodge step when try to grab you and instead jump backwards, this why you can use grappling hook to his collar to get closer after his uses his grab attack.

Last edited:

renzolama

The salt from the tears of 'game journalists' who couldn't even play the game.

GLORIOUS.

I don't know if I can survive another round of 'every game should have an easy mode' articles. It was stupefying to realize how many video game professionals understand game design so little that they couldn't comprehend how designing a game around multiple difficulties fundamentally alters and neuters its experience.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not my favorite From Software game, but still a great one, and I’m glad Miyazaki got recognition. It’s also cool that he got recognized for a game that he took a lot of chances with. Bring on Elden Ring!

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
I don't know if I can survive another round of 'every game should have an easy mode' articles. It was stupefying to realize how many video game professionals understand game design so little that they couldn't comprehend how designing a game around multiple difficulties fundamentally alters and neuters its experience.
Finishing a Japanese souls like game is like finishing a marathon. If you want to finish a marathon you have to run 42 kms, not 21, and not even 10. The whinos can fuck off.

Danjin44

TFW you have beaten every Souls Game at least 4 times (including Bloodborne) but gave up on Sekiro a little after the bull thing. Just a weird choice to me when the game alienates even long time From fans.
What do you mean by that exactly? You are saying Sekiro should have been just like other Souls to make people happy, I rather see FROM make what they want to make. Sekiro might some elements from Souls game like bonfire which in cace it called Idols but other than Sekiro action game while Souls and Bloodborne are RPGs.

Last edited:
What do you mean by that exactly? You are saying Sekiro should have been just like other Souls to make people happy, I rather see FROM make what they want to make. Sekiro might some elements from Souls game like bonfire which in cace it called Idols but other than Sekiro action game while Souls and Bloodborne are RPGs.

I mean even fans of From Software's design philosophies don't all love it. It's a pretty niche game I'd argue that sold as well as it did off the reputation of From and the success of prior games.

GreyHorace

To be honest I haven't even finished Sekiro yet. It really is a fucking HARD game.

But it's visuals are great, the level design is exemplary and the gameplay is sharp and responsive. It's an incredible achievement and really deserves all the accolades.

Oh, and I'll make note of the 'game journalists' who demanded an easy mode. They don't deserve to cover the medium of videogames if they constantly make demands of it.

Danjin44

I mean even fans of From Software's design philosophies don't all love it. It's a pretty niche game I'd argue that sold as well as it did off the reputation of From and the success of prior games.
Because they expected this game to be RPG with online function and they didn't got what they wanted, even tho from beginning we all knew this wasn't going play like Souls game. Just like how Persona team decided make new type of game with Catherine, FROM also decided make new game with Sekiro. I'm big fan of Bloodborne but I still end up falling in love Sekiro especially for it combat.

Last edited:
Because they expected this game to be RPG with online function and they didn't got what they wanted, even tho from beginning we all knew this wasn't going play like Souls game. Just like how Persona team decided make new type of game with Catherine, FROM also decided make new game with Sekiro. I'm big fan of Bloodborne but I still end up falling in love Sekiro especially for it combat.

Bloodborne had already stripped down the RPG mechanics and focused more on combat so it's not really that. It's making it a rhythm game that's a lot of the issue, tbh. For me it removed a lot of what made Souls combat work, is the experimentation, instead it was all about timing things perfectly. On top of that to get to the boss where you time things perfectly you need to re-stealth a whole area over again which is way less entertaining than re-killing mofos in a Souls game. It's not all down to people not getting what they wanted, Bloodborne changed a lot of things and at this point is widely hailed as the best From game, that's a straw man argument that should be beneath you. I gave my reasons but I can't speak for everyone, that said many people are like me and gave up on the game.

Danjin44

Bloodborne had already stripped down the RPG mechanics and focused more on combat so it's not really that. It's making it a rhythm game that's a lot of the issue, tbh. For me it removed a lot of what made Souls combat work, is the experimentation, instead it was all about timing things perfectly. On top of that to get to the boss where you time things perfectly you need to re-stealth a whole area over again which is way less entertaining than re-killing mofos in a Souls game. It's not all down to people not getting what they wanted, Bloodborne changed a lot of things and at this point is widely hailed as the best From game, that's a straw man argument that should be beneath you. I gave my reasons but I can't speak for everyone, that said many people are like me and gave up on the game.
My point is Sekiro was never try be like "Souls" or even RPG for that matter, I didn't got to Sekiro expecting another "Souls" game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For me this year was between Astral Chain, Sekiro and Fire Emblem Three Houses, very, very glad to see one of them won GOTY.

Sekiro's animation was just something else, it was mesmerizing to see Sekiro fight.

ThreeHousesSor-560x600.jpg

my favorite character of the game

ELf34O8U0AEW0qL

MuleSkinner

Neo Member
I agree with the awards, really glad that Disco Elysium got 4 awards, that game really impressed me.

Also agree that RE2 should've got some recongition. Sekiro was my choice for GOTY also.

Top Bottom