• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian airliner carrying more than 200 passengers missing on flight over Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

soul

By the way, in the Russian news they claim that before the plane transferred to the Russian company it belonged to Malaysian Airlines.

chadskin

Could be. I'm not 100% sure of it's authenticity either.

I've seen the video 3-4 hours before ISIS claimed responsibility. Some say it's a scene from ArmA 2/3, filmed off a PC monitor with a (bad) mobile phone camera which doesn't seem to be too unlikely.

Jackpot

Banned
i think it's a straight-forward plane crash with 2 countries so corrupt involved that there's back-covering at every individual level, leading to all these counter-claims.

soul

no army would let such platform get stolen or even disappear without searching for it desperately, also they would trained guys and funds to operate the damn gear they don't have

Most of the weaponry found in the Sinai area was stolen/bought from Libya after Gaddafi was killed. There was no supervision nor no one to actually care; same situation there was when the Soviet Union collapsed.

Ty4on

The flight tracker info and mayday message seems to disprove any missile. The MH over Ukraine just disappeared from flight teachers when it was hit.

Tugatrix

Most of the weaponry found in the Sinai area was stolen/bought from Libya after Gaddafi was killed. There was no supervision nor no one to actually care; same situation there was when the Soviet Union collapsed.

most anti air weapons of the Libyan army were destroyed or returned by the rebels after the war. Also how could they transfer such platform to Egypt without they notice

Usually when there's a plane crash the first question people have is if terrorism was involved. Somehow in this case it's exactly opposite. There isn't much evidence either way but there's no reason to exclude any theories yet.

(To me it seems like it's damage control on the part of Russian media. But I'm biased...)

Looks like a stall. Pulled up and gained altitude, speed went down very fast, and the plane started to go down.

RIP.

Honestly, it doesn't look like that's what happened. While the plane was going up they kept the speed. It suddenly fell, both the speed and the altitude. My guess is an explosion.

faridmon

RIP to all involved. This is a sad prospect when you realise that planes can be shot down easily. Very unsettling affairs.

KHarvey16

The speed indication from flightaware doesn't make any sense, so I wouldn't rely on it to construct any particular scenario.

rjc571

Banned
Obviously that argument is based on the number of people dying in car accidents and doesn't factor in survivors.

Except most car accident deaths can be prevented by wearing a seatbelt and driving safely, which I as a driver have total control over. As an airplane passenger I have no control over whether my plane crashes, and a seatbelt ain't gonna do shit if it does.

JoseLopez

Obviously I hope the best for the families but these kinda stories seem to be just a trend since the Malaysian flight got tons of coverage. I'm sure this has always happened but now with the Internet.

KHarvey16

Except most car accident deaths can be prevented by wearing a seatbelt and driving safely, which I as a driver have total control over. As an airplane passenger I have no control over whether my plane crashes, and a seatbelt ain't gonna do shit if it does.

If we're just talking major commercial air accidents (where seat belts wouldn't matter...they would and do in many private air crash situations) you are far more likely to be involved in a fatal car accident in which a seatbelt could not save you.

You also have no control over some drunk running a red and slamming into you

TarNaru33

Banned

It is simply talking about chances of dying in a car accident vs crashing in a plane. There is no arguing with this statistic, it is safer to fly than actually drive. The reason this statistic is needed is to showcase how rare it is to crash in a plane.

50 or so million people each month fly in commercial planes in U.S (2013 numbers), 100,000 flights per day in the world. Commercial planes rarely crash, there is no arguing against this statistic.

If you google car crashes in the world, you see 1.3 million people die in car crashes a year, whereas all flight crashes was 465 in 2013 with 3 billion passengers.

If you want to be afraid then go ahead, but you and anyone you know personally are unlikely to be in an airplane crash. You can easily google these numbers by the way.

The odds of any of you dying in any transportation accident of any kind are incredibly low. Whether it's plane, train, or automobile. Less than 2% of all US related deaths are from transportation.

But if you were it would be my motorcycle which is by far the most deadly

Ethelwulf

This is awful :(

The odds of any of you dying in any transportation accident of any kind are incredibly low. Whether it's plane, train, or automobile. Less than 2% of all US related deaths are from transportation.

I think the most deadly by far is a plane crash.
Edit: Oh I'm sorry, you meant totals.

chadskin

AP_850977783098.jpg

AP_405581384468.jpg

AP_862224598522.jpg
via http://mashable.com/2015/10/31/russian-plane-crash-egypt-cause/#LAJzobseY5qz

raphier

Banned

I've been in a car accident twice and a motorcycle accident once. I don't think I would survive a plane crash. It's not like there's somekind of airbag mechanism saving me there.

raphier

Banned
... welp... I mean I guess we'll see if they're bullshitting or not soon enough.

why are they prepping it too long, means it wasn't planned beforehand. Theywant to spread public hysteria. THey want us to say let's stop fighing in syria before they start dropping more planes with our relatives onboard.

JoseLopez

I don't get these terrorist cells like why poke the hornets nest or even imply or provoke governments.
World governments are probably getting ready wipe the floor with them like the taliban. I guess what I'm saying is prepare for war.

raphier

Banned
They tend to edit the shit out of their videos and I guess that takes time, that or they're going to bullshit and use fake footage and pass it off as real.

they usually announce with videos prepped up. This is different, now they're giving out teasers?

Ty4on

I've been in a car accident twice and a motorcycle accident once. I don't think I would survive a plane crash. It's not like there's somekind of airbag mechanism saving me there.

There are survivors in most plane crashes. If we take the A320 series (this was an A321) and look at the statistics:
For every hull loss (plane that was damaged beyond repair) there were 39 fatalities and even the smallest A318 fits 100 passengers.

Some planes are also quite tough. The Gimli Glider was repaired and used for 25 years after its crash landing. I don't think it needs saying that everyone survived on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom