• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egypt Air flight from Paris disappears from radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Don't the Egyptian authorities to this day deny that Flight 990 was suicide by pilot, even though every credible authority recognizes it as such? Seems like their regulatory authorities are nothing more than PR.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Seems odd that they haven't found the black boxes and wreckage yet. They've found floating wreckage, they have to have a pretty good idea where it went down, and I would have thought would have picked up the signal in no time.

AetherZX

Seems odd that they haven't found the black boxes and wreckage yet. They've found floating wreckage, they have to have a pretty good idea where it went down, and I would have thought would have picked up the signal in no time.

Can only float for so long in a vast open sea.

spekkeh

Banned

Yeah okay modern airplanes. Still not saying it's impossible, everything is possible, but highly implausible.

In any case, finally some new news. Egypt officials state the Airbus 'did not swerve', contrary to what the Greek officials said, and 'there is reason to believe it was an explosion looking at the bodies of the victims'.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ial-says-human-remains-suggest-blast-on-plane

He said all 80 pieces brought to Cairo so far are small and that “there isn’t even a whole body part, like an arm or a head”. “The logical explanation is that it was an explosion,” he added.

Though I'm not sure how accurate such a deduction would be, given that water is harder than concrete when you hit it at those speeds.

Can only float for so long in a vast open sea.
It doesnt need to be floating. They send out electronic pings. There is equipment that can listen for that. However if the plane broke apart in the air, the debris field could be huge and smallpieces scattered by wind and or waves/current.

Yeah okay modern airplanes. Still not saying it's impossible, everything is possible, but highly implausible.

In any case, finally some new news. Egypt officials state the Airbus 'did not swerve', contrary to what the Greek officials said, and 'there is reason to believe it was an explosion looking at the bodies of the victims'.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ial-says-human-remains-suggest-blast-on-plane

Though I'm not sure how accurate such a deduction would be, given that water is harder than concrete when you hit it at those speeds.

Remember the German plane that was brought down full speed by his suicidal pilot last year in France? They were no big part left. Only tiny tiny pieces. No need for explosion, high velocity impact on he ground will transform a plane into millions of pieces

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Don't the Egyptian authorities to this day deny that Flight 990 was suicide by pilot, even though every credible authority recognizes it as such? Seems like their regulatory authorities are nothing more than PR.

Yeah, if you watch the Air Crash Investigations episode on Flight 990, you'll realize you shouldn't trust a damn thing Egypt says on why the plane crashed.

They'll make up anything to protect their pilots, and to avoid admitting there was something wrong with the plane.

protonion

I cannot understand the black box drama in every incident. Isn't there another way?
It's just data right? Why can't it be transmitted during the flight or something?

danowat

Banned
I cannot understand the black box drama in every incident. Isn't there another way?
It's just data right? Why can't it be transmitted during the flight or something?

Cost probably, that and security of the data and possibility of data corruption.

There is only very low bandwith satellite transmission possible over sea at 30,000 feet.And in some areas of the world like the southern part of the Indian Ocean where MH370 vanished there is not even that.

I wonder if this problem is related?

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/2500357/ao-2009-027 final.pdf

TLDR: Airbus have had a number of incidents with fires from failing connectors to their windshield heater element. The fires were contained by the crew in the incidents, some were very serious as in crew donned oxygen masks, co-pilot had to leave the seat. Airbus found the heating element connector was manufactured incorrectly and initiated a replacement program, but this document says they would discuss with European operators a similar program. The airline had to visually inspect the connectors and replace those that were thought to be prone to this.

Either that, or the pilot oxygen system. But that was a Boeing fault ..

brian577

Banned
I wonder if this problem is related?

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/2500357/ao-2009-027 final.pdf

TLDR: Airbus have had a number of incidents with fires from failing connectors to their windshield heater element. The fires were contained by the crew in the incidents, some were very serious as in crew donned oxygen masks, co-pilot had to leave the seat. Airbus found the heating element connector was manufactured incorrectly and initiated a replacement program, but this document says they would discuss with European operators a similar program. The airline had to visually inspect the connectors and replace those that were thought to be prone to this.

Either that, or the pilot oxygen system. But that was a Boeing fault ..

Window heat sensors in the cockpit went off before the crash. It fits.

Yeah obviously I should not be involved with any accident investigation because I missed this part:

"The program applied to a batch of approximately 1,500 windshields that had been manufactured between January 2007 and October 2008 where PR1829 polysulfide sealant had been used as a filling agent within the terminal block."

And this plane was built in 2003.

Guess they'll be looking at all the possible electrical and other fire options, hope they find the cause.

then again

The airbus in the report with the cockpit fire due to a bad connector, was VH-EBF and it was manufactured in 2006.
So the manufacturing date of a plane of course isn't necessarily the year the cockpit windows were produced, as they probably get replaced and upgraded more than once..

And. In April 2014, they identified a new batch of windshield parts that needed inspection.

"On May 16, 2013, we issued AD 2013-10-06, Amendment 39-17459 (78 FR
32347, May 30, 2013). AD 2013-10-06 requires actions intended to
address an unsafe condition on all Airbus Model A330-200 Freighter,
A330-200, A330-300, A340-200, A340-300, A340-500, and A340-600 series
airplanes.

Since we issued AD 2013-10-06, Amendment 39-17459 (78 FR 32347, May
30, 2013), the manufacturer has identified a new batch of windshield
parts that are subject to the identified unsafe condition. The European
Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), which is the Technical Agent for the
Member States of the European Community, has issued EASA Airworthiness
Directive 2013-0256, dated October 21, 2013 (referred to after this as
the Mandatory Continuing Airworthiness Information, or “the MCAI”),
to correct an unsafe condition for all Airbus Model A330-201, -202, –
203, -223, -223F, -243, -243F, -301, -302, -303, -321, -322, -323, –
341, -342, and -343 airplanes; and Model A340-211, -212, -213, -311, –
312, -313, -541, and -642 airplanes."

this was noted by someone here:
http://jeffwise.net/2016/05/19/egyptair-flight-ms804-disappears-from-radar/comment-page-5/

but it was discounted for the same reason that I did above,

"It seems only windshields produced in 2007/8, but not in 2003, were affected and have been replaced."

However as shown in the original report, the date the plane was made doesn't tell one anything.

Egypt is a country I'd love to visit, but I fear I'll never get the chance, due to things like this happening with alarming frequency. It feels like it would be foolish to go there now unless absolutely necessary.

I hope they can discover the truth of what happened here.

Purkake4

Banned
Egypt is a country I'd love to visit, but I fear I'll never get the chance, due to things like this happening with alarming frequency. It feels like it would be foolish to go there now unless absolutely necessary.

I hope they can discover the truth of what happened here.
This has zero to do with Egypt the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom