• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egypt Air flight from Paris disappears from radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm leaving from Paris on KLM (never flew them or heard of them) to the US...should I be worried? This will be my second flight in my life and horrible things like this give me anxiety...
Don't worry. The probability to die on a plane is still infinitesimal. If anything there will be more controls in the coming weeks.

Mr Clutch

You have nothing to be worried about, mate. I am equal parts fascinated with air disasters and have massive flight anxiety, but flying is overwhelmingly safe. KLM, like most major airlines, is a great airline and very safe.

Your flight will go off without a hitch. It's saddening to hear about these tragedies, but you have to keep in perspective how many flights take off and land safely every day.

My advice is pop some xanax if you have it or have a few drinks at the terminal if it helps you relax, then just enjoy the flight and bring something to distract you if you can't sleep. I find talking to the passenger next to me, if they are receptive, also helps.

Thanks for the words of advice. I do not have xan, but I can (and will) drink to calm the nerves!

sflufan

Banned
I'm leaving from Paris on KLM (never flew them or heard of them) to the US...should I be worried? This will be my second flight in my life and horrible things like this give me anxiety...

Were you worried in the car/bus/train trip to the airport? If not, then you have no reason to be worried now or ever.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

KLM is the Royal Dutch Airlines, the oldest still operating airline in the world. You should have no worries at all about the quality of the company.

platocplx

I think you should be okay. I will say i understand your anxiety and I think its time major airports abroad have way better safety standards in place, not only for terror issues but just how they operate in general.

Its clear to see how stringent the US is on air safety is that events like Egypt, Malyasia etc they need to be way better at protecting passengers.

Piggus

This is horrible... I'm glad they were able to find the plane quickly so the families will have closure.

I went through a phase of mild flight anxiety and the thing that really helped me was to learn all that I could about crash statistics, turbulence, etc. You can't change the statistics, but you can learn just how exceedingly rare plane crashes are.

Jezbollah

No. You will be fine. I am flying to Italy on Monday and I haven't considered not going.

Pineapple

If it does end up being terrorism, then that means it's highly likely that there was a breach of security at Charles De Gaulle in Paris, which has some of the most stringent and extensive security protocols of any airport in the world.

That's absolutely terrifying, and almost unbelievable.

If it does end up being terrorism, then that means it's highly likely that there was a breach of security at Charles De Gaulle in Paris, which has some of the most stringent and extensive security protocols of any airport in the world.

This is indeed scary as fuck because the implications are beyond what I wish to comprehend...

spekkeh

Banned
They landed in tunisia before the crash. Maybe they snuck a device on board then?
Could be an explanation why no group has claimed it yet. That it was supposed to go off en route to Paris, not afterwards, and they're currently busy deciding on the spin. Or maybe they're still busy making themselves scarce. Or they are keeping schtum because more is yet to come.

Or it wasn't a terrorist strike after all.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I don't believe this because taking it down over France or mainland Europe would have made for a vastly more "spectacular operation" and as information creeps in I am thinking personnel aboard the craft did something when the correct opportunity arose.

Just flew out from Paris to London via the same airport this week.....

I can't remember a time where I was hearing of so many (if any) disappearing planes and crashes so much in my entire lifetime.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
you are more likely to die on the drive back from the airport.

be safe out there!

spekkeh

Banned
No one finds it odd that no group has taken responsibility? How often would something like this go uncredited for this long?
It usually takes a day. Though it's bordering on the long side now. Then again the 2015 Ankara bombings have never been formally claimed by ISIS.

no matter what anyone says or shows me I am freaked out the entire time on a

I also have anxiety in elevators though but boy it sucks

I sit there with a gas filled burping chest cause of my anxiety and just feel sick the whole damn time. every bump, sound sway has me on edge, knock me out!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

If so, it likely means an employee at CdG is responsible. Much more likely than a passenger. I don't know how security checks on employees look there, but for passengers it's thorough.

Purkake4

Banned
Not surprised that this thread is already filled with bullshit conspiracy "just asking questions" crap.

Give some peace to the victims and wait for actual information.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not surprised that this thread is already filled with bullshit conspiracy "just asking questions" crap.

Give some peace to the victims and wait for actual information.

Us discussing and speculating hurts nobody. Especially not the victims (sorry for being blunt).

Henkka

Banned
What's the evidence it was terrorism, exactly?

Just that it happened so suddenly without any distress calls from the cockpit, I think. That points to something immediate, like an explosion happening. If an engine had failed, they would've had time to call it in.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It hurts my brain.

UFOs? ISIS kidnapping the plane? Really?

What. Who is saying anything like that? Yes, one guy joked about it being a UFO. Big deal. IS being responsible isn't very far-fetched. They're the most evil, rotten group of monsters on the planet, and they want us all dead. Don't know where you got "kidnapping the plane" from though.

Posts 295 and 129 respectively.

Yeah, two dumb posts.

At the end of the day, unless a group takes responsibility or they find some glaring piece of evidence, there will be no definitive conclusions for a long while as the investigation goes on. So this idea of coming in here and guaranteeing that it was this that or the other thing is just speculation based on some flimsy reporting we have.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There you go. If you follow the actually released info and wait another 24h you'll probably know what actually happened.

And if we keep discussing what might have happened, it hurts nobody. When shocking things like this happen, people like to get their thoughts about it out and have a discussion.

CTLance

Man, I wish we had better tracking devices on those birds.

I mean, it's a huge money sink to divert dozens of ships around the area and manually search for debris to show up, not to mention that in some other cases the significant delay could be bad for potential wounded survivors. Can't we mandate that planes get an "oh shit" mode where they start squeaking their telemetry at full blast to everyone that cares to listen on every spectrum they can send on. I mean, the on board computers likely had more than enough time during the crash to determine that the plane no longer was inside the normal flight envelope. If the airline or flight controller had up to date gps/glonass/Galileo coordinates, heading and velocity data from moments before the impact (and some basic understanding of currents around the area), then wouldn't the wreckage be found already? Even better, if there was some battery driven reporting function for at least a few seconds after the impact? Or maybe even possibly minutes? I know it's not quite as easy as throwing a GPS unit, car battery, airbag crash sensor and some wires inside a picnic basket, but ...

Again, that probably wouldn't help much in this case, but it irks me, slightly, that half a day has passed and nobody has so much as come close to the wreck yet. To be frank, partly because I have an irrational fear of there being a crazy lucky survivor that gets to freeze to death in the cold sea while people are desperately combing the area a few kilometres away.

Also, man, those "content aware" ads for discount airlines. When keyword triggers go wrong.

What's the evidence it was terrorism, exactly?

It's not evidence that it was terrorism so much as lack of evidence that it was another more common cause. Terrorism seems like one of the more likely culprits at the moment.

That said, there's not enough information at this time for anyone here to try to claim any sort of definitive cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom