• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egypt Air flight from Paris disappears from radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a narrative (note the usage of the word seems to be, just as seems to be ISIS) that I'm hungering for terrorism or engaging in terrorism myself. It is no such thing. I'm just looking at the apparent facts and what the logical conclusion would be. The logical conclusion is a terrorist attack, similar to a certain other plane from Egypt, and there is currently one terrorist group we know of that is interested and capable of doing this.

Looking at recent events I'd say it's not unlikely to be a terrorist act, especially since routine maintenance was done to the plane before liftoff, but it could still be a mechanical failure.

I have no idea how difficult it will be to figure out what actually happened to the plane, I don't know how the black box would record terrorist activities.

If so, then that means that an active cell is operating at the airport in Paris which means that every member of the ground crew that serviced the plane would need to be subject to examination.
About 60 people last year have been fired from airport crew due to radicalism.

I'm pretty sure there is no significant difference between snacking a bomb in North Africa or in Paris.

Remember that one of the Brussels terrorist used to work at Brussels airport

Looking at recent events I'd say it's not unlikely to be a terrorist act, especially since routine maintenance was done to the plane before liftoff, but it could still be a mechanical failure.

I have no idea how difficult it will be to figure out what actually happened to the plane, I don't know how the black box would record terrorist activities.

Pretty easy if they find the wreckage and black boxes intact

Just by looking and charting how the wreckage sits on the seafloor they can figure out if the plane broke up in the air or hit the water intact.

They can test the wreckage for explosive residue

The blackboxes can give a direct timeline and the flight recorder may have even caught the explosion noise itself

danowat

Banned
Ahhhh - that would definitely increase the probability of an explosive device being snuck on to the aircraft.

It wasn't "on the way" but it had been to Tunis, and Eritrea.

4ea488c9-6aa7-4e6b-8c86-95ff67dd70f5.png

seanoff

not that difficult if they get the data and voice recorders. the voice recorders will pick up an explosion if there was one. the data will show if anything went haywire.

spuckthew

The thing about the plane changing direction sharply (going full circle even) is downright scary and just plain weird. But the fact that the plane disappeared suddenly more likely indicates foul play. A mechanical issue surely could not result in such swift destruction? I'd wager even sabotage could not down a plane that quickly. It's easier to assume a bomb or missile until proven otherwise.

I sincerely hope that it was not terrorist-related.

danowat

Banned
So, what kind of military presence is there in the Mediterranean? Any chance it was taken down by a warship?

Lots, but quite why or how a navy ship would take down a civilian airliner at FL370 is beyond me.

The thing about the plane changing direction sharply (going full circle even) is downright scary and just plain weird. But the fact that the plane disappeared suddenly more likely indicates foul play. A mechanical issue surely could not result in such swift destruction? I'd wager even sabotage could not down a plane that quickly. It's easier to assume a bomb or missile until proven otherwise.

I sincerely hope that it was not terrorist-related.

Sounds consistent with a flat spin due to dramatic loss of aerodynamic lift, could be consistent with an explosion causing a loss of structure, or a stall due to icing.

Audioboxer

Sad to hear there were babies on board :( Sad for everyone but such young life being taken before they can even experience a bit of this life sucks.

Few things:

1. They started to find debris. Two large orange-colored floating objects. Could be related as it's close to the site of last contact.

2. The "Egyptian authorities mistakenly reported that a signal was received two hours after air traffic control lost contact with MS804."

Ci0qHJHWEAALaI9.jpg

kmfdmpig

CNN reporting it was likely terrorism.

They're really opening themselves up to the misplaced holier than thou Faridom attacks. I hope they can weather them.

Speculating about a cause seems like a natural thing to do. Of course people are more concerned about the loss of life, but it's a discussion and condemning anything other than "RIP to the passengers" is a bit constraining and not really conducive to a discussion.

Given the data provided (sudden loss of contact at that altitude with no sign of descent, etc...) it's fairly natural to speculate that it could be terrorism. Once you make that assumption saying it might be ISIS doesn't seem to be a major jump.

E-phonk

Banned
Remember that one of the Brussels terrorist used to work at Brussels airport
You might have that mixed up with the report that one of them worked as a cleaner in the EU Parliament several years ago (so before his possible radicalisation). AFAIK none of them worked at Brussels Airport.

Audioboxer

Man, this is terrible, and with family flying soon out of Europe... I'm just terrified now.

Don't worry bro. Just think of the many hundreds of daily flights that go fine.

I mean some jitters are understandable, but right now we still don't even have total confirmation of what went wrong.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
They're really opening themselves up to the misplaced holier than thou Faridom attacks. I hope they can weather them.

Speculating about a cause seems like a natural thing to do. Of course people are more concerned about the loss of life, but it's a discussion and condemning anything other than "RIP to the passengers" is a bit constraining and not really conducive to a discussion.

Given the data provided (sudden loss of contact at that altitude with no sign of descent, etc...) it's fairly natural to speculate that it could be terrorism. Once you make that assumption saying it might be ISIS doesn't seem to be a major jump.

They're reporting that Egypt is saying that.

We won't know if it was terrorism or not unless the pilot was recorded on the flight recorder saying something about an explosion or the like.

OR - some terror group claims responsibility and produces some kind of proof that they actually got a bomb on that plane somehow.

Until then, it's nothing but speculation.

hunchback

We won't know if it was terrorism or not unless the pilot was recorded on the flight recorder saying something about an explosion or the like.

OR - some terror group claims responsibility and produces some kind of proof that they actually got a bomb on that plane somehow.

Until then, it's nothing but speculation.

They can also test for explosive residue on any plane parts they recover.

I mean some jitters are understandable, but right now we still don't even have total confirmation of what went wrong.

I'm flying on WestJet soon up to Ottawa.. I've never heard of the carrier and that makes me a bit nervous

I'm sending positive vibes and well wishes to all of the families and loved ones that are affected.

If this is an act of terror it is important for communities, both international and local, to come together and stay strong.

Lister

Banned

Thanks yes, I just need to get some perspective.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Bbc reporting about life jackets being found
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-36328976

The guardian has more updates to
http://gu.com/p/4jcx5?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

British pilot Alan Carter has told the BBC he was flying a B 747 in same airspace at almost exactly the same time that the EgyptAir plane went down.

He called the conditions “perfect” and said there had been no issues with lines of communications.

All air traffic communications were operating normal. I spoke to Athens radar and remarked how quiet it was, and they told me there were only five planes in the area.

e5b87ea0-c659-48d8-8432-fedaa6aee536.png

That seems interesting. Like they were trying to shake something off.
Hard bank will result in serious loss of altitude. Without more engine thrust to offset the angle, a 90 degree bank will undoubtedly result in a crash.

Still could be either terror related, malfunction or a suicidal pilot. I'm leaning heavily towards terrorism at this point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2016/5/19/e5b87ea0-c659-48d8-8432-fedaa6aee536.png

If it's terrorism, wouldn't that mean they got into the cockpit and the pilots were trying to jostle the terrorists off?

Like evade a missle or another aircraft?

This is a "civilian" plane, it wouldn't have missile detection systems like military planes. Same reason the plane that was in the Ukraine got shot down: No missile-avoidance/flare systems.

Seems to me that something happened and the plane went into a downward spiral it couldn't recover from.

Also, on the possibility of a bomb being loaded on in Tunis, I think it's nor likely given the timeline. They would have unloaded the luggage from the Cairo-Paris leg before the return trip that evening.

spekkeh

Banned

We'd have to know the time period in between turns. The explosion could have cause the bank and rip off a wing, after which the remaining part stalls or spins in the other direction.

dluu13

Given the number of high profile air accidents in the past few years that have ended up being an ocean search, I think it would be a good idea to start attaching flotation devices to the cockpit voice and flight data recorders. That way, if they get separated from the main wreckage, they can float to the surface and be spotted more easily.

Business

We'd have to know the time period in between turns. The explosion could have cause the bank and rip off a wing, after which the remaining part stalls or spins in the other direction.

Exactly, these moves are probably the result of a catastrophic event. A commercial airliner is not going to detect a missile and go top gun to shake it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom