• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boeing 777s are BANNED from flying over Britain: Grant Shapps says ALL planes with same engine as one that caught fire over Denver cannot enter UK air

Airbus Jr

Banned

All Boeing 777s with the same engine as that of the plane which caught fire after take-off from Denver will be temporarily banned from entering UK airspace, it was revealed today.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has acted after Boeing recommended that airlines ground all 777s with the type of engine that blew apart after take-off from Denver over the weekend.

Mr Shapps tweeted: 'After issues this weekend, Boeing B777s with Pratt & Whitney 4000-112 series engines will be temporarily banned from entering the UK airspace. I will continue to work closely with the UK CAA to monitor the situation'.

Most carriers with the planes in their fleets said they would temporarily pull them from service.

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) ordered United Airlines to step up inspections of the aircraft after one of its flights made an emergency landing at Denver International Airport on Saturday as pieces of the casing of the engine, a Pratt & Whitney PW4000, rained down on suburban neighbourhoods.

None of the 231 passengers or 10 crew were hurt, and the flight landed safely, authorities said. United is among the carriers that has grounded the planes.

Shares in Raytheon, the parent company of Pratt & Whitney, had suffered a 2.77 per cent drop when markets opened this morning n a blow to one of the main players in the aircraft engine market and a boost to its competitors including Britain's Rolls-Royce and Boston-based General Electric.

The near-disaster in Colorado has led to the grounding of more than a hundred Boeing 777s fitted with Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines, used by United Airlines as well as Japan's two main carriers and a South Korean firm.

Boeing said today that all 128 of the planes have been grounded, saying it had recommended suspending operations of 69 in-service and 59 in-storage aircraft while US authorities investigate what happened in Denver.

Last edited:
Good, I do not feel bad for them. 2 Crases due to the 737 Max software issues, and now this (Thankfully no one died). They need to check the planes before they kill more people with their planes.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t think it’s overboard it’s the reaction culture we live in and there’s good intent behind the decision.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Boeing....they are killing themselves.
This is an engine fault unless P&W are owned by Boeing.

Airbus is getting handed these.

thank goodness no one died from this.

also if a tie blows you change it. An engine blows during take off or landing then disaster could potentially happen.

if a brand of tires were faulty then I hope they would do a recall.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Are major malfunctions happening more often as well as the rise in people catching this stuff on camera?

My instincts tell me cost saving is at the root of the rise in cases in recent years, but I have no evidence to support it.

Are major malfunctions happening more often as well as the rise in people catching this stuff on camera?

My instincts tell me cost saving is at the root of the rise in cases in recent years, but I have no evidence to support it.
Commercial airliners almost NEVER crash. There are almost no accidents. Considering the insane amount of air travel all over the world, the idea that these planes are dangerous is pretty disconnected from reality.

I am fine with making things safe, but when it turns out this is an isolated incident, I hope people will own of to the overreaction. We can’t put the world on hold every time there is a hiccup. People die in other forms of transportation every single day. We don’t shut down highways or ban certain vehicles. They almost never die on airplanes.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

This plane was 25 years old. Engine failures are going to happen. The fan blade probably broke off in the engine.

PW is owned by raytheon that made the engines. But I don't know even if they are to blame. Maybe the maintenance of the engine was improper. If it were a flaw in the engine it would have been discovered by now it's been over two decades this engine has been in use.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am Airbus fanboy and this is weird as fuck, 777 as far as I know never crashed, outside of very shady situation and those 777 are mostly Malaysian.

Also OP working at Airbus or just having this nick?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This is an engine fault unless P&W are owned by Boeing.

Airbus is getting handed these.

thank goodness no one died from this.

also if a tie blows you change it. An engine blows during take off or landing then disaster could potentially happen.

if a brand of tires were faulty then I hope they would do a recall.

But it is a PR issue again. All the articles say Boeing in the headline not P&W. Boeing has been beat down over the 737 Max. This issue is the PR on this. Also if Boeing is responsible for the maintenance then it is a Boeing issue. Boeing will need to show that this plane had its maintenance records up to date.

lukilladog

Commercial airliners almost NEVER crash. There are almost no accidents. Considering the insane amount of air travel all over the world, the idea that these planes are dangerous is pretty disconnected from reality.

I am fine with making things safe, but when it turns out this is an isolated incident, I hope people will own of to the overreaction. We can’t put the world on hold every time there is a hiccup. People die in other forms of transportation every single day. We don’t shut down highways or ban certain vehicles. They almost never die on airplanes.

You would want to know whether this is an isolated incident as you say or a flawed batch of engines or spare parts. Airliners are not safe because engineers just go around pretending failures are isolated incidents. Cars and tires get recalled too.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

I’m asking if the rate of major malfunctions has gone up. Let’s say in the last 5/10 years.

I want to know if the graph of malfunctions in recent years and malfunctions people have evidence of is going up equally or if it’s just the captures that are increasing.

I know planes are statistically safe, we all do at this point

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Oh I forgot they dropped the cowling on house and scattered engine cover throughout the begining of that route. Well in that case it make sense, but it's just only the 777-200 (OGs), because not being able to fly 77W would sure as shit hurt the aviation industry, even now.

TheMan

maybe the airliners are safe BECAUSE of the stringent rules and regulations?
If it means people lives are safe then fuck it, ground dem planes

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
To be fair I think it’s only United and a couple of Japanese airlines that fly this version of the 777 with those engine types.

Chances United using them for these routes over and into UK slim and I think the Japanese use them for their internal flights only.

77W uses the larger GE90 or the Rolls Trent 800.

EDIT: okay there’s over 100. Didn’t know United had that many (not the 100 I realise that)

Last edited:

Kadve

This seems so stupid. Every time a tire blows, we don’t ban every car with tire.
What OP forgot to mention is that the exact same type of accident happened back in december. Not to mention back in 2018.

The same type of engine having the same type of failure 3 times in 4 years is not a coincidence. I say its about time they check those engines for some kind of design flaw.

https://apnews.com/article/e0e041cba51f6fa5585f0fbb06380fe4

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety...ers-blade-damage-after-takeoff/141474.article

Last edited:

Jezbollah

the issue is with P&W. The Boeing 777 did it's job and landed on one engine without a fuel dump (so it was heavy too). The 777 is an absolute workhorse and has an excellent safety record.

The engine here had a massive uncontained failure. The engine's cowling should have held together. It didnt.

i am a boeing fanboy

the fear is understandable especially after a video like that

and then there is that one image of the engine casing that landing right in front of someones porch

boeing has been notorious for faultiness the last couple years

i want these aircrafts to flourish

just fix em, update their build quality

theyre beautiful airliners

i like airbus too but theyre nowhere near as romantic as boeing imo

What OP forgot to mention is that the exact same type of accident happened back in december. Not to mention back in 2018.

The same type of engine having the same type of failure 3 times in 4 years is not a coincidence. I say its about time they check those engines for some kind of design flaw.

https://apnews.com/article/e0e041cba51f6fa5585f0fbb06380fe4

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety...ers-blade-damage-after-takeoff/141474.article
Fair enough. It’s good to have context.

StormCell

The airlines and airplane industry rely on very strict and harsh safety regulations to keep their industry afloat. It's a very unfair PR game they must participate in. For instance, hundreds of cars crash every day and public perception of the automakers rarely changes unless it's a manufacturer defect that led to a crash. Regardless, people don't stop driving and don't stop buying more cars. A passenger jet crash in which dozens to hundreds perish has the power to ground flights everywhere, impact flight sales, and see stock prices plummet for the entire air industry.

And for some reason, as illogical as it sounds, I feel emotionally confident that it's the right reaction to have. Air travel by its very nature is more likely to result in death upon crash than automobile. Therefore, planes just should never ever crash. Seems fair!

If the tires were responsible for keeping 135,000 kg cars operating 43,000 ft in the sky then we probably would.

Perhaps, but they are responsible for 80,000 pounds right next to you on the road.

PSA folks, don't hang out around semis if you don't have to. Just go ahead and pass us, or stay behind us. This driver had a steer tire blowout, if you were in between his cab and the guard rail you would be dead.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Checking back my flight history I’ve flown on that exact 777 three times.

I’m sure lots of other people have to, but there you go.

BWJinxing

Cool, you are free to fly on 777 if you can. Because I’m sure not flying on the MAX.

Also Airbus >>>>>> Boeing.
I think the McDonald Douglas merger has destroyed my confidence in Boeing products.

I personally would like to fly on Airbus planes for comparison, as I think they are setting the bar high, compared to Boeing, who just aims for a stock price these days.

Cheap, half-baked, 'good enough' engeering and assembly, is not a good practice for airplanes

Cyberpunkd

I personally would like to fly on Airbus planes for comparison, as I think they are setting the bar high, compared to Boeing, who just aims for a stock price these days.
I flew a few times on A380 and it’s like a Royce Royce of airplanes, that thing is so unbelievably quiet and stable you don’t even notice being on the airplane. Truly a marvel of modern engineering, shame they ended the production.

Top Bottom