• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN and NATO to Gaddafi: Operation Odyssey Dawn |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
XtremeRampage said:
Gansta

edit: some translated in the comment section dunno if true

caller 1: i have someone shot in the head, i need blood.

caller1: i need blood.

caller2 : what type what type.

caller 2: how can i send you blood the area is in choas!!

caller 1: i have no ammo send me some rockets(asks for a type of rocket) im gonna blow this building up!!! im gonna blow it up!!!

basically caller 1 is calling HQ saying that they have been shot from a building and they have no ammo. he wants to destory the building.

Gaddafis goons panicking. they know its OVER

Sounds like the rebels inside Tripoli jumped the gun. Hope it doesn't backfire. They didn't wait for the others to arrive from the outside.

Something Wicked said:
End? Well over 10,000 people may get slaughtered in the upcoming days in Tripoli. This will be when the fight becomes very ugly, unfortunately.

I was just reading up on the Battle for Berlin the other day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Berlin

Freaking bloodbath. 200K killed. That's an insane number.

SlipperySlope said:
I was just reading up on the Battle for Berlin the other day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Berlin

Freaking bloodbath. 200K killed. That's an insane number.

Yeah, that's the exact battle in which I've envisioned what a siege of Tripoli could look like.

However, in this case, the Libyan rebels/revolutionary fighters would appear to allow and aid civilians to leave the city- not so much as with the Red Army in 1945. Still, many civilians are going to be in the city when the real heavy fighting begins.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Something Wicked said:
Yeah, that's the exact battle in which I've envisioned what a siege of Tripoli could look like.

However, in this case, the Libyan rebels/revolutionary fighters would appear to allow and aid civilians to leave the city- not so much as with the Red Army in 1945. Still, many civilians are going to be in the city when the real heavy fighting begins.
and I really really doubt if not hope Gaddafi have that kinda support for real in Tripoli.

Zenith

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
Probably go into exile with Gadaffi. It would be funny if the new government gave him back to the UK to go back into prison as a show of good faith, since he clearly doesn't have cancer any more and he doesn't look like dying any time soon.

Um, he definitely still has cancer. How long he'll last is another matter altogether.

Loudninja

Libyan rebels push front line closer to Tripoli
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — Libyan rebels said they were less than 20 miles (30 kilometers) from Moammar Gadhafi's main stronghold of Tripoli on Sunday, a day after opposition fighters launched their first attack on the capital itself.

Fighters said a 600-strong rebel force that set out from Zawiya has reached the outskirts of the village of Jedaim and was coming under heavy fire from regime forces on the eastern side of the town.

Murad Dabdoub, a fighter who returned to Zawiya from the front, told The Associated Press that Gadhafi's forces were pounding rebel positions with rockets, mortars and anti-aircraft fire.
http://news.yahoo.com/libyan-rebels-push-front-line-closer-tripoli-095442533.html

Sir Fragula said:
... by what metric?

Probably in a "bro look at all these people I blew up in COD, LOLZ" without realising this is real life and real people are being killed because of a ruthless mad dictator.

Walshicus

Megalodactyl said:
In the metric that he is willing to risk life and limb to bring down a ruthless regime. Fuck you for assuming that I simply like to see shit get blown up.
The guy asking to blow up the building is one of Gaddafi's troops though, isn't he?

LordCanti

Megalodactyl said:
fuck, really? sorry for my misinterpretation

He's still a badass one way or the other. This way, he's just sort of an evil badass (unless Gaddafi is going to kill him and his family if he leaves the army or something, which is more than just a little plausible)

Loudninja

Large anti-Gadhafi protests erupt in Tripoli
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — Anti-regime protests erupted Sunday in several Tripoli neighborhoods where thousands braved the bullets of snipers perched atop high buildings, residents and opposition fighters said. At the same time, hundreds of rebel forces advanced to within 15 miles west of the capital and were rushing forward in pickup trucks and on foot.

Heavy machine gun fire and explosions rang out across many parts of Tripoli on the second day of attacks by rebels belonging to "sleeping cells" inside the city that has been Moammar Gadhafi's stronghold throughout the 6-month-old civil war.

Mukhtar Lahab, a rebel commander closing in on Tripoli and a former captain in Gadhafi's army, said relatives inside the capital reported mass protests in four neighborhoods known to be sympathetic to the opposition: Fashlum, Souk al-Jouma, Tajoura and Janzour. He said mosques there were rallying residents with chants of "Allahu Akbar" or "God is great," broadcast on loudspeakers.
http://news.yahoo.com/large-anti-gadhafi-protests-erupt-tripoli-135750621.html

Walshicus

1616: Rebels have seized an army barracks at the western entrance to the capital, Tripoli, AFP news agency reports. Hundreds of rebel fighters entered the base some 27km from the capital on the road from Zawiya.

Al Jazeera's correspondent in Libya has the following update on the battle for Libya:

The anti-Gaddafi fighters have fully taken control of Tajoraa, Suq al-Jumaa, Arada and al-Sabaa neighbourhoods in the capital Tripoli, Al Jazeera correspondent said , adding that clashes were still underway in Ben Ashhour, Fashlom, and Zawiyat al-Dahmani neighbourhoods in Tripoli.

Anti-Gaddafi fighters said they had seized the headquarters of a company running mobile phones in Tripoli, along with an attempt to advance at the premises of a government-run radio service

The battle for Tripoli kicked off on Saturday by an uprising that broke out from within the Libyan capital Tripoli, codenamed “Mermaid Dawn”, aimed at liberating the capital.

Soon...

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wonder if he will try to run. Load up into a private plane with the family and try to go elsewhere.

Or if he will stay and fight to the death or surrender.

I am also worried they may have booby trapped some buildings as a last resort based on some reports.

Assuming these reports accurate, there seems to be more anti-Ghadaffi support in Tripoli than I thought. People on the fence will move to the side with momentum. So this may go faster than I had feared. I certainly hope so.

Chaotic & fluid situation though.

Casp0r

Banned
That Gadaffi spokesperson is fucking slimy, telling complete lies and bullshit all while placing pictures of kids behind him.

He's going to be beaten to death when they catch him, the scum bag.

Got a friend who's family is from Libya, he does not have anything pleasant to say about what's going to happen to these guys when the rebels get a hold of them.

Looks like the Rebel Alliance broke into the Libyan Sierra Army Depot
BBC said:
1727: The barracks seized by rebels today are home to the Khamis Brigade, an elite army unit named after and commanded by one of Col Gaddafi's son. They are one of the best trained and equipped units in the Libyan military and the BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes in Libya says this is a major achievement for the rebels.

BBC said:
1804:

Libyan rebels have advanced to 12km west of Tripoli, an AFP new agency correspondent reports. He said the rebels were moving in a convoy of around 100 vehicles as onlookers fired celebratory gunfire into the air.
100?? Surely that has to be exaggerated :eek:

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Anyone see the clip of the Libyan State Journalist pounding the 9MM pistol on the desk on BBC? lol
I hope the rebels capture the station, come on live air and say "tripoli is liberated", and begin disseminating information about their victories, the ground situation and the aims of NTC! That would be so cool.

BBC Headline Flash
Rebel forces approaching Tripoli from the west have reached the city, says AFP correspondent travelling with them

1850: An AFP correspondent travelling with rebels as were entering Tripoli from the west said they were hailed by a jubilant crowd, with music and people running alongside the convoy. The welcome followed clashes with pro-Gaddafi forces.

Zenith

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
Sounds like the rebels inside Tripoli jumped the gun. Hope it doesn't backfire. They didn't wait for the others to arrive from the outside.

Rebel forces approaching Tripoli from the west have reached the city, says AFP correspondent travelling with them

Armchair general fails again.

Zenith said:
Armchair general fails again.
It still could have been too early for when they should have activated. Then again I really need to look at a timeline and relative positions to make a final determination.

On the bright side Gaddafi doesn't have access to his mustard gas stocks (even if decommissioned) in Tripoli to the best of my knowledge. If he was boxed in this would be his time to use them (all or nothing).

An interesting historical note during the Invasion of Iraq, numerous Iraqi commanders kept requesting access to chemical weapons thinking they had it as an option. So I can't imagine some of his commanders don't have the same feeling (or him himself) and we do know the materials actually exist in Libya.

EDIT:
Confirmation on the base
1859: The BBC team on the road west of Tripoli have confirmed that the key military Khamis Brigade barracks is under rebel control.

wow they might have the whole place on lock by the end of the day, its weird cause months ago it sounded like tripoli was fully guarded, wonder when the cracks showed up

1950: In this photo gunmen loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi run through the grounds of the Rixos Hotel in Tripoli.
_54730447_012703618-1.jpg

Jeffrey Kofman, ABC News, London tweets: Just spoke with a journalist at the Rixos. About 20 left. Hotel staff and minders have abandoned them. Constant gunfire. Very worrisome.

Expect an (no pun intended) explosion of coverage if they aren't locked in a room to start soon if the minders are fleeing.

Walshicus

Gaborn said:
Haven't we been hearing that for months and months now?
No?

The new government forces have surrounded, entered and risen up in Tripoli. There is nowhere else to fight over and the momentum is not on the side of Gadaffi's clique.

Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunity to complain about the minuscule cost the US government is paying once the reconstruction period begins. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom