• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN and NATO to Gaddafi: Operation Odyssey Dawn |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
New thread for the major development in Libya. Lets shift the discussion here. On 3/17/2011, The United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 1973, authorizing the establishment of No-Fly-Zone over Libya, and enforcement of the resolution with military action of the Allied force. The UNSC resolution 1973 passed with 10 votes in favor, 5 abstentions and 0 not in favor. The complete tally is listed below:

In Favor:
United States (PM)
Britain (PM)
France (PM)
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Colombia
Gabon
Lebanon
Nigeria
Portugal
South Africa

Abstentions:
Russia (PM)
China (PM)
Germany
Brazil
India

Not in Favor:
(none)

PM stands for Permanent Members of the UNSC. Full text of the resolution can be found here, thanks to NullPointer. If you want more information on Libyan No-Fly-Zone adopted by the UNSC, here's a wiki to it. Country by country operations are listed below (thanks to DrForester):

France - Operation Harmattan
United Kingdom - Operation Ellamy

United States Of America - Operation Odyssey Dawn
Canada - Operation MOBILE

Onwards.

Operation Odyssey Dawn commences to end Gaddafi onslaught on Benghazi
More than 100 Tomahawk missiles launched as mission begins to topple dictator without risking troops on the ground

The first strikes came out of the late afternoon sky. At 4:45pm GMT it was confirmed that a French Rafale fighter jet had destroyed a Libyan military vehicle, possibly a tank, near Bengazi, the rebel city that pro-Gaddafi troops had attempted to storm.

Then, after nightfall, the real offensive began. As more than 100 Tomahawk missiles rained down along the vast Libyan coastline, the Pentagon confirmed that American and British forces were targeting Colonel Gaddafi's air defence systems in a concerted attempt to enforce the UN no-fly zone, ending his capacity to continue the offensive against the rebel forces.

Within minutes the prime minister, David Cameron, declared that British air forces were in action above Libya, joining combat aircraft from several coalition countries. The sheer weight of firepower trained on Libya was designed to intimidate as well as incapacitate. The Tomahawk missiles were fired at supersonic speeds from a British Trafalgar-class submarine and two American warships in the Mediterranean.

In total, more than 20 designated Libyan targets were struck. Batteries of Libyan surface-to-air missiles were destroyed. The military communication network, crucial to Gaddafi's ability to maintain the momentum of his offensive, was severely disrupted. The Pentagon dubbed the offensive Operation Odyssey Dawn, confirming that the intention of the bombardment was to open up airspace for a second wave of strikes by ground-attack aircraft.

The battle to save the Libyan revolution, authorised by the UN security council resolution on Thursday night, has begun. State of the art 21st-century weaponry is being pitted against tanks, guns and missiles from the cold war era. Knocking out Gaddafi's command structure and jamming his military communication networks is likely to happen quickly. Libya's air defence system is considered antiquated, comparable to the Soviet systems that international forces faced during the Gulf war of 1991, and the Balkans conflict.

Allied Forces
UK: Providing Typhoon and Tornado jet fighters; surveillance planes; HMS Westminster and HMS Cumberland; submarines
France: Carried out mission with at least 12 warplanes including Mirage fighters and Rafale jets; deploying aircraft carrier, warships
US: Firing guided missiles from USS Barry and USS Stout; providing amphibious warships, and command-and-control ship USS Mount Whitney
Italy: Nato base at Naples understood to be central hub; other Mediterranean bases made available
Canada: Providing six F-18 fighter jets and 140 personnel
(thanks danwarb, if I may steal your post)

++FAQ++

What is the context behind UN's actions? Why did it came to this?

Tunisian style peaceful pro-democracy movement started in Libya right around when protests were erupting all over middle east. It lasted for couple of weeks where it grew bigger and bigger each passing day. One fine day, in the city of Benghazi (where the first demonstrations took place), Col. Gaddafi used his military to bomb the peaceful demonstrators. Not police, not thugs, but military (and para-military which was made up of paid foreign mercenaries...the rate was $2000/day). Col. Gaddafi declared war against his own people and started shelling and bombing them left and right. Couple of airforce pilots defected early on, refusing to bomb their fellow citizens. Few other soldiers, infantry and support also defected. The demonstrators now became armed civilians engaging in warfare against their military. This rebel movement had rapid early success and captured almost all of the towns and cities in Libya, but then Gaddafi launched a merciless, scorched earth counter-assault against the rebels, retaking many of the rebel held towns. Gaddafi's army now surrounded Benghazi (second most populous city) and gave 48 hour ultimatum to rebels holed up in there, promising that if they dont surrender, people will be hunted down like rats, door by door, cleansed out, etc. This made international flags going on red alert, as everyone was looking at a planned massacre, or maybe another Rwanda. This provided the impetus for the UNSC to institute No Fly Zone over Libya in order to immediately halt Gaddafi.

Why did US get involved?

US as a permanent member of UNSC voted in favor of the No Fly Zone, but said to be in a "supporting role". It has been France that is leading the airstrike campaign. President Obama was criticized early on for not being forceful enough against Gaddafi, and Sen. John McCain said that No Fly Zone should have been instituted weeks ago. USA was instrumental in consensus building at UNSC in order to reach a unilateral agreement with other international powers.

Is this another Iraq/Afghanistan war? Will it turn into one?

No, it isn't. Operation Odyssey dawn is a response to Gaddafi's actions, not an unprovoked aggression. This operation has the backing of UN, NATO, African Union, European Union, Arab League and Organization of Islamic Conference. This is a truly international, legitimate action under most of the international governing bodies. Few countries see it illegal, such as Venezuela. This is also not a ground campaign. It's only an aerial campaign. There will be no US/EU NATO boots on the ground.

Will it worsen our image as meddling in middle-east again?

Possibly. There's always that risk involved. But the rebel movement has the full support of Muslim and Arab countries. One of the top Sheikhs in Egypt said it's OK to take out Gaddafi in a fatwa. NATO involvement is seen as coming to the aid of pinned down rebels and citizens of Libya.

But isn't this action seen hypocritical and selective, since in Bahrain and Yemen, the protesters are being shot and killed everyday? Why hasn't UN/NATO attacked those countries? Why Libya? Aha! It must be the oil.

It is not the oil. USA and Europe already had cozy relationship with Gaddafi and his oil fields. Taking such a destabilizing course of action against Gaddafi is bound to send Oil prices skyrocketing into stratosphere. If all the west cared about was Oil, it wouldn't have taken such a destabilizing course of action and instead continued having the good relations with Gaddafi and his oilfields, and also kept oil prices in check. If all it cared about was oil, it wouldn't have shot itself in the foot. The situations in Bahrain and Yemen (and Syria) are different than Libya. In those countries, the leaders have not used military against the protesters. President Saleh of Yemen hasn't sent in airforce to bomb demonstrators in Sana. Those leaders are using paid thugs, police and security apparatus to clamp down the protests. As long as the military isn't involved, the problems in those countries are seen as internal issues, which is why the reason for stakes in Egypt were so high. Because the tanks rolled into Tahrir Square and everyone sat up and considered a possible massacre. Had the military opened fire on protesters, UN would have been asked to take action. Secondly, as answered in the first question, Col. Gaddafi was looking at a campaign of "cleansing" in Bengazi.

Where can I watch documentaries/videos on Libya's revolution?

BBC Panorama - Fighting Gaddafi - Part 1
BBC Panorama - Fighting Gaddafi - Part 2 Thanks to poster DECK'ARD for bringing this to our attention.

Anything else I should know?

Yes. This isn't Iraq War 2003. Read Juan Cole's ten reasons why it isn't. Also read this post by a GAF member from Beirut, Lebanon.
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Hey guys..

This is my 1st post here since 2006. Just got hit with a massive dose of nostalgia.

Anyway, just wanted to quickly chime in. People glibly comparing this to Iraq, etc, have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. There's almost no parallels, in any single aspect. I think some of you in the US are so confused because of your political loyalties, party ideologies, that you can't see straight anymore. I'm currently living in Beirut, Lebanon, and I was also here at the start of the Iraq war. This is a very cosmopolitan arab country. I can tell you, anecdotally, that 95% of the people I spoke with were absolutely against the Iraq attack (as was I), while almost EVERYONE here is FOR this military intervention. I'm talking common people from taxi drivers, fruit stand sellers, business men, family, students, etc. The main consensus is 'there would have been a mass slaughter with no intervention, the US was and is right to intervene'. NOONE ive spoken to is seeing this is an sort of 'imperialist attack, US vs Muslims, oil, or any of that. Of course people here tend to be skeptical of anything the US does, but the overwhelming opinion is in favor of this, that 'it had to be done'.

Also, those of you who think the US standing hasnt changed in Arab countries in the past couple years are completely wrong. People's opinion of the US, compared to when Bush was there to now, is night and day here. You used to be able to sense seething hatred whenever the US was brought up. Now, not so. These feelings have softened (not dissapeared, obviously) significantly since Obama has been in office. There is alot more respect towards it than there used to be.

Just another perspective.. living in the US, right/wrong is simply a matter of what political party/person you'd like to attack, and how to score points. But I've read so many fucked up comparisons, ie. OBAMA NEOCON LIKE BUSH, OBAMA'S IRAQ, OABAMA WARMONGER, from US media, its sickening. I was utterly against the Iraq war, campaigned against it extensively. I am utterly for this intervention, because of the potential slaughter that may have ensued, although I'm not hubristic enough to try to guess how it will end up in the end.

m8jBb.jpg
kn1FT.jpg

On-going wiki, subject to change

President Obama's address on Libya.

jy8sL.jpg

In the address, which focused entirely on Libya, Obama said the United States should not be involved whenever a catastrophe occurs in the world, but that the humanitarian crisis in Libya as a result of Gadhafi's actions was grounds for intervention, calling it "our responsibility."

"The United States should not-and cannot-intervene every time there's a crisis somewhere in the world," Obama said. "But I firmly believe that when innocent people are being brutalized; when someone like Gadhafi threatens a bloodbath that could destabilize an entire region; and when the international community is prepared to come together to save many thousands of lives-then it's in our national interest to act. And it's our responsibility. This is one of those times."

"Make no mistake," Obama said, "because we acted quickly, a humanitarian catastrophe has been avoided and the lives of countless civilians-innocent men, women and children-have been saved."

The president described the mission as "clear and focused," while touting the coalition's successes of establishing a no fly zone and pushing Gadhafi's forces back from the city of Benghazi. He also reiterated that the U.S. role in the operation, which did not include putting troops on the ground, is being diminished as NATO allies step in to take the lead.

"As I pledged at the outset, the role of American forces has been limited. We are not putting any ground forces into Libya. Our military has provided unique capabilities at the beginning, but this is now a broad, international effort. Our allies and partners are enforcing the no fly zone over Libya and the arms embargo at sea." Obama said. "Key Arab partners like Qatar and the United Arab Emirates have committed aircraft. And as agreed this week, responsibility for this operation is being transferred from the United States to our NATO allies and partners."

But, Obama acknowledged that Gadhafi's forces are continuing to fight and kill civilians, and once again called for an end to the violence.

"Our message is clear and unwavering. Gadhafi's attacks against civilians must stop," Obama said. "His forces must pull back. Humanitarian assistance must be allowed to reach those in need. Those responsible for violence must be held accountable. Moammar Gadhafi has lost the confidence of his people and the legitimacy to rule, and the aspirations of the Libyan people must be realized."

danwarb

Coalition launches Libya attacks

The UK, US and France have attacked Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's forces in the first action to enforce a UN-mandated no-fly zone.

Pentagon officials say the US and the UK have fired more than 110 missiles, while French planes struck pro-Gaddafi forces attacking rebel-held Benghazi.

Col Gaddafi has vowed retaliation and said he will open arms depots to the people to defend Libya.

Missiles struck air defence sites in the capital, Tripoli, and Misrata.
Allied Forces

UK: Providing Typhoon and Tornado jet fighters; surveillance planes; HMS Westminster and HMS Cumberland; submarines
France: Carried out mission with at least 12 warplanes including Mirage fighters and Rafale jets; deploying aircraft carrier, warships
US: Firing guided missiles from USS Barry and USS Stout; providing amphibious warships, and command-and-control ship USS Mount Whitney
Italy: Nato base at Naples understood to be central hub; other Mediterranean bases made available
Canada: Providing six F-18 fighter jets and 140 personnel

HawksEye

As I posted in the Libya thread, my brothers in Misrata enjoying the show provided by the Tomahawks :)

Facebook Video!

It hit the Air force Academy where the Gaddafi forces are located. You can barely see the first missile that hit on the left.

Ignis Fatuus said:
Shouldn't it be UN to Gaddafi?

Assuming the Arab League follows through with their promise of military support.
The no-fly zone resolution by the UN is put in practice by the NATO, but the other military offensive actions against Libya don't seem to be easily put under a specific organization. NATO? Individual states? ...

FoxSpirit

HawksEye said:
As I posted in the Libya thread, my brothers in Misrata enjoying the show provided by the Tomahawks :)

Facebook Video!

It hit the Air force Academy where the Gaddafi forces are located. You can barely see the first missile that hit on the left.

Not on Facebook, Youtube maybe?

Omiee

i wish our arab leaders actually provide some support, we cant have the us or nato fixing ( read intervening ) everything for us all the time.
its embarassing.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The OP is awful, making light of the situation with its shitty photoshopped captions and lulz. Get that out of here.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
BBC Pictures

One jet - apparently a rebel fighter plane - was reportedly shot down over Benghazi. The pilot, seen here to the left of the plane, ejected before it hit the ground. Correspondents say the chances of surviving after such a late ejection are slim.

da65V.jpg

4EQFJ.jpg

I was wondering why the wiki only mentions the US participation. Turns out every country has given the operation another name, and "Odyssey Dawn" only applies to the US. Odd.

GaimeGuy said:
The OP is awful, making light of the situation with its shitty photoshopped captions and lulz. Get that out of here.
I agree. Get those photshopped captions out of here, this isnt a comedy show.

Kraftwerk

Random Question(s) :

1- Being the crazy ass mofo that he is, I assume he will end himself before he is captured alive?

2- IF he is in fact captured alive, will he go to the hague or tried in a libyan court?

sphagnum

Banned
Souldriver said:
I was wondering why the wiki only mentions the US participation. Turns out every country has given the operation another name, and "Odyssey Dawn" only applies to the US. Odd.

Every country participating has its own military objectives in support of the UN No-Fly Zone. It's not really a unified mission.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kraftwerk said:
Random Question(s) :

1- Being the crazy ass mofo that he is, I assume he will end himself before he is captured alive?

2- IF he is in fact captured alive, will he go to the hague or tried in a libyan court?

He will let himself be arrested so he can talk for hours about crazy conspiracies for a year at the Hague.

Kraftwerk said:
Random Question(s) :

This is my best guess.

There's been talk about dragging him to ICC and holding him accountable. But really it depends on how you define "captured". Who's gonna capture him? There's no ground force. Only Rebels can possibly get him.

FoxSpirit

Kraftwerk said:
Random Question(s) :

1 - Maybe, noone can tell.

2 - I'd guess a Libyan court, because the Libyan people probably won't turn him over before they tried him themselves. Of course increases the chance of Gadffi ending himself.

sphagnum said:
Every country participating has its own military objectives in support of the UN No-Fly Zone. It's not really a unified mission.
I understand why there's different operation names. I just remarked that it makes the thread title and part of the OP a little misleading because of it.

Kraftwerk

RustyNails said:
This is my best guess.

There's been talk about dragging him to ICC and holding him accountable. But really it depends on how you define "captured". Who's gonna capture him? There's no ground force. Only Rebels can possibly get him.

Ahh, very true my friend. Forgot about that.

Shit, i guess it's very clear now; they will shred him apart, and send his pieces all across Libya.

If anyone gets hold of youtube videos of NATO airstrikes let me know, I'll add them to OP.

Edit: fine, I'll remove the lolpics. I didn't use photoshop though!

Kinyou

Abstentions:
Russia (PM)
China (PM)
Germany
Brazil
India
Why so much hate on Germany, Russia isn't in either :/

Messypandas said:
such an awesome name. would make a good bond movie
I rather thought of some JRPG

Edit:
Ejection seats are made to provide enough distance so that one could eject while on the ground. Remember that Canadian pilot that ejected last year at the last second. Don't really see why there isn't' a good chance he survived that (surviving once on the ground is another story. Assuming he's flying over Gadaffi territory).
I think this would depend on how old the aircraft is. Also, the angle in which he ejected isn't really helping.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
D4Danger said:

Ejection seats are made to provide enough distance so that one could eject while on the ground. Remember that Canadian pilot that ejected last year at the last second. Don't really see why there isn't' a good chance he survived that (surviving once on the ground is another story. Assuming he's flying over Gadaffi territory).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom