• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II | Review Thread

53SIh6ih.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Helldivers II

Platforms:
  • PC (Feb 8, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 8, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Arrowhead Game Studios AB

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 84 average - 96% recommended

image.png

Metacritic - 83 average based on 7 Critic Reviews

image.png

Written Reviews

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 88 / 100
Despite a complicated launch, Helldivers II has become one of the most fun experiences of the year. This is a clear example of how a game as a service can be positive.

But Why Tho? - Matt Sowinski - 8.5 / 10
The gunplay is fantastic, the gameplay loop is satisfying, and the reward progression is consistent. Its live service plans are its biggest question moving forward, but right now, Helldivers 2 is a ton of fun.

CGMagazine - Philip Watson - 9 / 10
Helldivers 2 is a testament to the power of teamwork and tactical gameplay, wrapped in a satirical package that's hard to put down.

Capsule Computers - Admir Brkic - 8 / 10
One of the best co-op shooters in recent years, with emphasis on team communication, strategy, and friendly fire to keep you constantly on the edge.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.4 / 10
Helldivers 2 is great co-op fun for fans of action and alien bugs. It's mindless fun in its purest form and a credit to the developers for refining the basics of the gameplay so well. However, when it comes to the content, the game stops surprising pretty quickly and becomes a marathon of killing thousands of enemies and repeating familiar missions. But there is plenty of potential for surprises and innovations in the future, especially after the difficult server launch.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 4 / 5
All in, this is great fun, albeit slightly limited in its longevity. While there are unlocks to push for, the core game remains largely the same from the off.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 4 / 5
Helldivers 2 is one of the most entertaining co-op games you can get on PS5.

Entertainium - Eduardo Rebouças - Masterpiece
Arrowhead’s newest multiplayer slaughterfest Helldivers 2 is a blast to play thanks to its over-the-top presentation, hilariously chaotic moment-to-moment gameplay and excellent team mechanics.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4.5 / 5
“Helldivers 2” is a worthy sequel and an excellent co-op shooter. It’s a game that offers not just hours of entertainment, but a genuine connection to a community of players united in their quest to bring democracy to the stars. It’s a reminder of the joy found in shared victories, the laughter in shared defeats, and the unbreakable bonds formed in the heat of battle.

Eurogamer - Emma Kent - 4 / 5
With its high-chaos, high-comedy firefights, Helldivers 2 is a riot to play with friends – although its launch has been hampered by persistent matchmaking and progression problems.

Everyeye.it - Giovanni Panzano - Italian - 8.5 / 10
Helldivers 2 was a pleasant surprise and represents the perfect evolution of that twin stick shooter that made many players fall in love with it back in 2016.

Evilgamerz - Daan Nijboer - Dutch - 8 / 10
It's clear, Helldivers 2 is fun. Very nice indeed. It is not without reason that this became the best-selling Playstation game on PC within a few days. The wonderful shooting, the spectacular Stratagems and the teamwork while playing makes Helldivers 2 one big party. There are few games that can give you so much fun and chaos, combined with perhaps not the very best graphics, but one of the most atmospheric. You often imagine yourself in a Starship Troopers or Terminator movie with all the explosions and bullets around you. It's a shame that the game was plagued by so many technical issues in the first few days, but the developer has done everything they can to resolve this and has already largely succeeded. The problems must of course be taken into account in the assessment, but make no mistake, Helldivers 2 is already one of the best games of 2024 and will only get better in the future with all the new free content. And for only €40 this is a no-brainer, get that trade!

GAMES.CH - Joel Kogler - German - 75%
On the one hand, the game has a great addictive factor thanks to excellent multiplayer gameplay and short, crisp missions. The outstanding graphics and audio quality perfectly accompany the war on the dark front and make you want to explore every corner. Unfortunately, the business strategies of Sony and Arrowhead Games stand in the way of the good game. With regular crashes and connection problems, as well as a very limited scope and many promises, "Helldivers 2" seems more like a very good Early Access game. In addition, there is a strong focus on microtransactions, which does not allow us to fully enjoy the excellent gameplay.

GGRecon - Lloyd Coombes - 4.5 / 5
Helldivers 2 keeps kicking me in the rear end, and I can't help but respect it. Visiting its warzones often feels like a one-way trip, to the point where I'm surprised to make it through. My group chats are awash with war stories of hard-fought victories and those times I dropped an airstrike on my head.

And through all of the chaos, like a grizzled veteran who's seen some s**t, I've got a smile on my face every time I drop.

GamePro - Tobias Veltin - German - 80 / 100
Helldivers 2 is an excellent co-op shooter that lacks a bit of variety in the long run, despite many unlocking options.

GameSpot - Jordan Ramée - 9 / 10
Helldivers 2's randomized missions and compelling reward track make for a delightfully fun shooter.

Gameffine - Uphar Dutta - 90 / 100
Helldivers 2 is an Action-Third Person Shooter Co-op game that is entirely community-driven. The game offers an entire list of difficulties to find the perfect pick that you can handle with your squad. With a long list of planets to discover and prevent infestations by performing various operations, you are guaranteed to devote yourself to fighting for democracy for hours. With an actual seamless, optimized, efficient performance of the game and multiplayer, I was always in for a good time while playing the game.

Gamer Tweak - Phil James - 8.8 / 10
Democracy never felt this good! Helldivers 2 is a love letter to Starship Troopers fans. A squad-based mayhem, met with explosive laughter & tactical depth, to become one of the best chaotic, and unforgettable gaming experiences in recent years.

Gamersky - Mega杰尼龟 - Chinese - 8 / 10
Even though it changed from top-down to third-person view,, Helldivers 2 remains an engaging and unique game. It keeps almost all the good things from the first game and puts them into a new way of playing, making it even more enjoyable than before. However, unstable network connections are still a stumbling block in your fight for Super Earth. Helldivers 2 has a good start. The big question is if the developers can keep adding new stuff to keep players interested.

GamesRadar+ - Rick Lane - 4 / 5
"The way bugs burst and robots rupture is a masterclass in damage feedback"

Gaming Age - Braden Czerwinski - 9 / 10
Helldivers 2 is a fantastic co-op game with lots of content (and arguably the best structure to live service I’ve seen in a long time) wrapped up in a nice $40 package.

GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 8 / 10
Helldivers 2 is essentially the first game, except bigger, louder and more epic in scale. Despite issues with matchmaking and some desperately needed quality-of-life, it's enjoyably engaging.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 8.5 / 10
Helldivers 2 brings the over-the-top action and a little frustration to a never-ending war. It makes for a fun time with friends, is not meant to be played solo and can get quite overwhelming even after unlocking the best Stratagems and gear.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10
Helldivers 2 is a surprise hit, featuring some of the best moment-to-moment combat and a satisfying rinse and repeat formula.

Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 82 / 100
Helldivers 2 doesn't invent anything, but what it does, it does so well and in such a fun way that it's hard not to fall at its feet. You can reproach it for flaws, shortcomings and aspects that are not well balanced, but none of that prevents it from being a fun game, a guilty pleasure, especially in co-op.

IGN - Will Borger - 9 / 10
Helldivers 2's combat feels fantastic, its missions stay fresh and interesting, and its smart progression system doesn’t nickel and dime you.

IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 8 / 10
Helldivers 2 is an enjoyable third-person shooter, especially in good company. It is. It is often challenging to play but equally rewarding in terms of gameplay.

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 8 / 10
Helldivers 2 is fun, chaotic and addictive. A formula filled with space action that is best enjoyed with friends. Build your squad, organize your ranks and set course for remote planets in the name of democracy. A festival of bullets and green goo that will keep you hooked for hundreds of hours.

INVEN - Jaihoon Jeong - Korean - 8.5 / 10
Despite the bold genre change, Helldivers 2 has successfully maintained the core enjoyment of its predecessor. The uncontrolled battlefield, incidents that make you laugh uncontrollably, and the thrill of victory make the game worth playing, even with the acceptance of crashes and glitches.

Jump Dash Roll - Derek Johnson - 8 / 10
Helldivers 2 is the third-person Starship Troopers title that never was, which means that if you've been looking for an excuse to get into a bug fight, it's absolutely worth picking up the title so you can do your part to stop the alien menace.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - Buy
An utterly enjoyable shooter that shines the brightest with its co-op mechanics, Helldivers 2 has crushed all initial apprehensions about its live service and procedurally generated nature and delivered a dose of lovable democracy. The progression systems look to be on track to keep players invested for the foreseeable future, and the fun just doesn’t seem to want to stop anytime soon.

Even with the friendly fire and accidents that arise from having others around you, the very nature of Helldivers 2 makes it more of a positive than a negative, and that is no mean feat. Super Earth requires the effort of every person to liberate the galaxy, and it is a no-brainer to enlist as soon as you can.

PC Gamer - Jon Bailes - 86 / 100
Server issues aside, Helldivers 2 is a bombastic, strategically engaging and funny squad shooter.

PC Invasion - Leo Gillick - 8 / 10
A game that has more bugs than it intended but still produces a standout experience. Helldivers 2 gives scale and gravitas to alien warfare in good old-fashioned multiplayer fun.

PSX Brasil - Mateus Alexandre - Portuguese - 90 / 100
Helldivers II came as a surprise and marks a significant moment in PlayStation Studios' console and PC releases. If it has the proper support, it will be a game remembered and played for years to come.

PlayStation Universe - John-Paul Jones - 9 / 10
There's no getting around it - Helldivers 2 is a supremely fun, frequently unintentionally hilarious and bombastic squad shooter that builds upon its predecessor and deftly sets up a long-term future in the process. Though the lack of split-screen is keenly felt and Helldivers 2 is by and large identical to its predecessor in so many ways, Arrowhead Studios highly anticipated sequel nonetheless does a great job of repackaging a shooter that not nearly enough people played into a thunderous current-gen offering that sets a new bar for extraction shooters everywhere.

Push Square - Aaron Bayne - 9 / 10
Helldivers 2 is a riotous affair, offering up best-in-class gunplay, a truly epic and often cinematic experience, mixed in with one of the best co-op gameplay romps currently available. Its present matchmaking issues hold it back from true glory, but when it works it really works, forcing you to feel a sense of patriotism for Super Earth as the score swells and bullets fly. Helldivers 2 is a hell of a lot of fun, and is the best laugh you and your mates will have on PS5.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Ed Thorn - Unscored
Impeccable action and clever details make this a rare breed of live service co-op shooter, where the focus lies squarely on laughter instead of racking up loot.

SECTOR.sk - Peter Dragula - Slovak - 7.5 / 10
Overall, Helldivers 2 is a decent co-op game. It's simple, easy to play and quick to get into. Maybe it's not a AAA title by any means and don't expect a story, cutscenes, top graphics, but the gameplay here is good and at the same time the price is quite low.

Screen Rant - Kyle Gratton - 4.5 / 5
Helldivers 2 is a refreshingly fun power fantasy, where mastery through teamwork breeds satisfaction. Diving out of a charging bug's way and firing into its exposed back or blowing up a machine dropship before it can deploy its forces feels incredible. The game's tone is finely tuned so that getting caught in a friendly airstrike and seeing your own character's limbs go flying isn't frustrating, it's a hilariously minor setback. All told, the modestly priced, always online game takes a measured approach to its monetization while being built entirely to bolster its main gameplay loop, making Helldivers 2 a shining example against $70 live-service titles that nickel-and-dime their players.

The Game Crater - Chris Melnyk - 8 / 10
Helldivers 2 offers players a bountiful amount of rich and engaging content, from varied and exciting missions to satisfying gunplay and engrossing progression systems.

The Games Machine - Marco Bortoluzzi - Italian - 9 / 10
What is most refreshing about Helldivers 2 is not just the fact that it's an incredibly fun game, but that Arrowhead managed to grow in scope without losing its identity: this is, without question, a game made by the same people who created Magicka so many years ago. At present state, however, Helldivers 2 suffers from some stability issues, and employs an invasive anticheat.

TheGamer - Sam Hallahan - 4 / 5
After all of this, I got what I was expecting from the game: a damn fun time. What I didn’t expect, however, is to be thinking about it so much after each game, wanting to dive right back into hell with others alongside me. I can’t wait to get better at the game, face bigger threats, to see what planets this galaxy holds, and just what each planet will throw my way. I’m not one to often fall into multiplayer experiences, but even with a quickly-resolved rocky launch, Helldivers 2 is a strong and careful foundation for the beginnings of a flagship multiplayer experience of 2024 and, if it bears the strength of its launch, into the years to come.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 8 / 10
A naked shower scene away from being an official Starship Troopers game, Helldivers 2 is gloriously daft fun when you can get a group of friends together to play. It's just a shame about the matchmaking and crash bugs at launch.

Twinfinite - Cameron Waldrop - 4 / 5
The beauty of Helldivers 2 is in its simplicity. You’re just a single soldier tasked with the impossible job of contributing to a whole galaxy’s defense. But that’s also where the game shines, as you don’t play as Commander Shepard or someone massively important. You’re essentially just a grunt who survives long enough to get better gear and further fulfill their duty. Whether you want to sink hours into the war effort or just take on a few missions, this game is perfect for as much or as little as you want to give it.

Use a Potion - 9 / 10
Helldivers 2 is absolutely brilliant, with the strategic yet action-packed gameplay complemented by the unpredictable madness that can unfold at any minute. Between the powerful weaponry and Stratagems at your disposal, the co-op focus that sees you working with three other players, and the sheer ferocity and overwhelming nature of your opponents, the game is packed with thrilling moments that’ll keep you on the edge of your seat as you barely scrape through each encounter. I’m completely hooked in, and with the developer promising free additions to the game in the future, I think I will be for a long, long time.

There is one big caveat at the moment though: public multiplayer is broken. Whilst you can play with friends in private games, I haven’t had any success joining a public game. I’ve been lucky enough to have friends to play with so it hasn’t affected me so far, but it is definitely worth bearing in mind if you don’t have others to play with. It is due to be fixed soon though, and when it is? You can bump my score up a notch.

Worth Playing - Cody Medellin - 8.5 / 10
Helldivers II is a good game that happens to have some current teething problems. Everything - from the perfect satirical tone to the solid gunplay and variety of difficulty levels - create some exciting and satisfying gaming moments. Some of the more military simulation traits generate some tense situations, but they can be humorous moments, too. The microtransactions don't feel too bad in the game's overall scheme. If the connectivity issues can be resolved and stabilized soon, then Helldivers II can be one of the sleeper hits of the first half of 2024.

Video Reviews

Last edited:
I often see the idea of "longevity" being bandied about when it comes to games like this but my counterpoint would be: why does it matter (as it pertains to reviews)? What do I mean? I play *a lot* of games, we are absolutely spoiled for choice with new, quality releases arriving on a near weekly basis. I bought this game for a cheap ¥4480 ($30 USD) on PS5. If I spend a couple of dozen hours (already near a dozen) having the time of my life before moving on then I *more* than got my money's worth, no regrets, I can happily put it down and maybe never return to it again.

I'm not into the whole idea of a "lifestyle" game, playing the same shit for months or even *years* on end, Jesus Christ. Yes, those gamers exist but even within that space the competition is fierce. I think more people need to come around to thinking that these games don't need to go on forever. The value proposition of a multiplayer focused, "live service" game like this is still outstanding. Again, if you get a good 2-3 weeks of solid play and then move on either because something new dropped you've been waiting for (hello FF VII Rebirth) or you simply want to dig into your neverending backlog, it doesn't negate the incredible experience you had up until that point and what you paid to have said experience.

I do see the argument of an online game shutting down it's servers and poof, your purchase becomes obsolete but that's a different topic. I'm talking purely as it relates to *reviews* and how this factor of "longevity" ultimately affects a reviewers perspective and potentially the score for the game. In any case, I think the future of Helldivers is bright and those who want to stick with this over the long term have a lot of cool stuff to look forward to.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

They were 100% right not to release review copies.

It would have been torn apart due to matchmaking issues, when the game itself is a straight 10/10.

Not since PS3 Warhawk has there been a more accessible MP game where the co op aspects are light enough not to need mics but when you have mics elevate the experience unbelievably even with strangers.

Corian33

No reviews needed. They had some opening server issues. There’s a few bugs to fix with matchmaking. Maybe some balancing, not sure I’ve seen any issues.

Now, with the full spectrum of bad stuff out of the way, we can move on to the positives: Game is freaking awesome.

Pure joy to play, blasting away at bugs and robots while shouting about freedom and democracy.

Unlocks are steady, you get enough premium currency just by playing that you can get a couple things off the premium list no problem. New toys give you new options for how to play the game.

Difficulty levels are great. As you go up in difficulty the missions get bigger and more interesting. More side objectives, more obstacles, bigger badder enemies. Low levels are still fun but more straightforward.

Community is great. No griefers so far for me even with friendly fire always on. Best with friends of course. Communication becomes critical in the tougher missions, but the game gives you enough tools to communicate without voice.

Amazing game, get it if you think it looks appealing at all.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Five improvements for Helldivers 3...

1. The terminal puzzles should be significantly longer and more fun to solve. Give players a mini Sudoku puzzle or something.

2. The pre launch landing screen should be more engaging. Make picking your drop spot a more tactical + strategic decision than it is right now. Choices need to matter outside of "We start here so we can finish our last objective near the Extraction zone."

3. Probably should have been a PvE Extraction Shooter (permadeath) to make progress feel better.

4. No more calling in new Helldivers after death. Reviving teammates is way more fun and would give the game more "Movie moments".

5. Getting to high ground should be more rewarding. Right now you don't know what you can climb and half the time, your stratagems bounce off the top.

Game is a really solid 8 right now. Will be fun to see their first few updates. Feels like a great canvas to work from.

Last edited:

Ogbert

I think the game is a solid 8/10.

I don’t think there’s enough variety to go higher than that. The core gameplay loop doesn’t change. It’s an excellent game that you can drop in and out of.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You want retarded randoms stuck on a puzzle?? You got to be out of your mind. Puzzles should be relatively simple. The only purpose is to add tension to moment to moment battle, like the strategems

I don't think that would be an issue. Making the puzzles slightly more complex and interesting wouldn't break the experience.

Varteras

Gold Member
The "puzzles" in Helldivers 2 are anything but fun. The strong reaction to something so essentially throwaway is really odd.

Because I can assure you that if myself and my 3 squadmates I've been playing with for the last 10 hours of playtime have to start doing brain teasers while getting our asses eaten by giant bugs or our balls shot off by murderous robots, we'd all stop playing. Because what you would consider fun would have all of us quit the game in furious frustration. Shit gets real the higher up the difficulty you go. At a certain point, trying to survive while just tapping in the stratagem inputs gets dicey and my squad hasn't even gone above "Challenging" yet.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Because I can assure you that if myself and my 3 squadmates I've been playing with for the last 10 hours of playtime have to start doing brain teasers while getting our asses eaten by giant bugs or our balls shot off by murderous robots, we'd all stop playing.
What you're creating in your mind is not what I'm suggesting.

Varteras

Gold Member
The "strong reaction" of thinking your ideas are terrible isn't limited to the just the puzzles. And the d-pad inputs are a staple of Arrowhead's games since Magicka.

I threw up a little when I read the game should be an extraction shooter with permadeath. But I focused on the one thing that would fit into the current framework yet still be a pain in the ass.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Okay. What are you suggesting here, then?

I would scour the industry of games that are comprised of short "mini puzzles". Games where the puzzles are easily solved and take anywhere between 3 - 30 seconds. Then I'd rip the best ones and add a military technology theme to make it work on the terminals.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The "strong reaction" of thinking your ideas are terrible isn't limited to the just the puzzles. And the d-pad inputs are a staple of Arrowhead's games since Magicka.

I like the D-Pad inputs but don't believe they nailed the terminal puzzles.

Varteras

Gold Member
I would scour the industry of games that are comprised of short "mini puzzles". Games where the puzzles are easily solved and take anywhere between 3 - 30 seconds. Then I'd rip the best ones and add a military technology theme to make it work on the terminals.

If they're short and simple then how is what you're suggesting different than how they work right now? All terminal situations are what you describe. Sometimes it's just button inputs. Other times you have to locate other devices in the area. Move a radar dish where it needs to be. Really, anything beyond that is going to be a bit much when enemies start bearing down on you. At higher difficulties that gets intense. So, either you merely want more variety in the terminal objectives, which is fine by me, or you want them all reworked to be a bit more involving which is going to make a lot of people extremely frustrated. The way this game flows, there isn't much room for what you're suggesting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If they're short and simple then how is what you're suggesting different than how they work right now? All terminal situations are what you describe. Sometimes it's just button inputs. Other times you have to locate other devices in the area. Move a radar dish where it needs to be. Really, anything beyond that is going to be a bit much when enemies start bearing down on you. At higher difficulties that gets intense. So, either you merely want more variety in the terminal objectives, which is fine by me, or you want them all reworked to be a bit more involving which is going to make a lot of people extremely frustrated. The way this game flows, there isn't much room for what you're suggesting.

I would say the puzzles that are on the terminals right now are the lamest puzzles I could conceive of.

Not only would I make the puzzles longer and more fun, but I'd also make them so they're not success:fail. The puzzles should give teams a gradient benefit based on the users performance.

All you "Helldivers puzzles are perfect as is" people need to KICK ROCKS!

Killjoy-NL

I would say the puzzles that are on the terminals right now are the lamest puzzles I could conceive of.

Not only would I make the puzzles longer and more fun, but I'd also make them so they're not success:fail. The puzzles should give teams a gradient benefit based on the users performance.

All you "Helldivers puzzles are perfect as is" people need to KICK ROCKS!
I don't think anyone is saying the puzzles are perfect as is.
But they're fine.

The inputs can already be challenging enough, depending on circumstances.
Even a simple command like calling in reinforcements can be hectic, let alone puzzles at objectives if you're getting swarmed.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't think anyone is saying the puzzles are perfect as is.
But they're fine.

The inputs can already be challenging enough, depending on circumstances.
Even a simple command like calling in reinforcements can be hectic, let alone puzzles at objectives if you're getting swarmed.

With more complex puzzles, you could also spec into a tech class that gives the player an advantage in solving the puzzles. That would cater to people who aren't as good at shooting but still want to play, and help, their team/friends.

There's so many fun + interest things you could do with that idea. "Fine" on day 3 turns into "bleh" by day 13.

Hopefully Helldivers 3 gets a AAA budget. This IP has loads of potential.

Killjoy-NL

With more complex puzzles, you could also spec into a tech class that gives the player an advantage in solving the puzzles. That would cater to people who aren't as good at shooting but still want to play, and help, their team/friends.

There's so many fun + interest things you could do with that idea. "Fine" on day 3 turns into "bleh" by day 13.

Hopefully Helldivers 3 gets a AAA budget. This IP has loads of potential.
Not sure what you mean by "spec into".

Most of the games I've played were primarily destroy/kill X target, so not really sure what a spec class is supposed to add to the game.

I think the game is deep enough as is. At least for this kind of game.
There's enough support strategems already, as well as supportive modules for your ship.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not sure what you mean by "spec into".

Most of the games I've played were primarily destroy/kill X target, so not really sure what a spec class is supposed to add to the game.

I think the game is deep enough as is. At least for this kind of game.
There's enough support strategems already, as well as supportive modules for your ship.

The more playstyles and variety this type of game can offer up, the more successful it will become.

A tech class, a stealth class, a recon class etc...

If the puzzles were meatier, you could cater to a group of people that naturally bounce off due to the one note gameplay loop.

Killjoy-NL

The more playstyles and variety this type of game can offer up, the more successful it will become.

A tech class, a stealth class, a recon class etc...

If the puzzles were meatier, you could cater to a group of people that naturally bounce off due to the one note gameplay loop.
That would basically be an entirely new game.

Killjoy-NL

Nah. It would still be about 4 players dropping in, killing bugs, trying to accomplish objectives before extracting. It would just diversify the gameplay for a wider audience.
Maybe, but it doesn't need to diversify. It's already a breathe of fresh air.

On Steam, they went from 7K CCU with HD1 to 155K CCU with HD2.

Total peak incl PS5 is 360K CCU.

They have more than 1M players.
That's perfectly fine. At least for HD2.

Last edited:
I often see the idea of "longevity" being bandied about when it comes to games like this but my counterpoint would be: why does it matter (as it pertains to reviews)? What do I mean? I play *a lot* of games, we are absolutely spoiled for choice with new, quality releases arriving on a near weekly basis. I bought this game for a cheap ¥4480 ($30 USD) on PS5. If I spend a couple of dozen hours (already near a dozen) having the time of my life before moving on then I *more* than got my money's worth, no regrets, I can happily put it down and maybe never return to it again.

I'm not into the whole idea of a "lifestyle" game, playing the same shit for months or even *years* on end, Jesus Christ. Yes, those gamers exist but even within that space the competition is fierce. I think more people need to come around to thinking that these games don't need to go on forever. The value proposition of a multiplayer focused, "live service" game like this is still outstanding. Again, if you get a good 2-3 weeks of solid play and then move on either because something new dropped you've been waiting for (hello FF VII Rebirth) or you simply want to dig into your neverending backlog, it doesn't negate the incredible experience you had up until that point and what you paid to have said experience.

I do see the argument of an online game shutting down it's servers and poof, your purchase becomes obsolete but that's a different topic. I'm talking purely as it relates to *reviews* and how this factor of "longevity" ultimately affects a reviewers perspective and potentially the score for the game. In any case, I think the future of Helldivers is bright and those who want to stick with this over the long term have a lot of cool stuff to look forward to.

Agree with this

I think the idea of a $40 Multiplayer game is perfect. I don't need it to continue on forever.

I would love a fully next-gen Killzone MP game. It's a shame we don't have it

Both Resistance and Killzone multiplayer modes were so damn good. We can dream but I don't think we'll see these games again anytime soon, shame but at least we're getting stuff like this.

Well what’s weird is that a Killzone MP game was rumored by some pretty credible sources

Wonder what happened to it?

Imagine how good it would look in Decima like Death Stranding 2

Killjoy-NL

Well what’s weird is that a Killzone MP game was rumored by some pretty credible sources

Wonder what happened to it?

Imagine how good it would look in Decima like Death Stranding 2
Yeah, I've been waiting to hear more about that Killzone game.

It was supposedly going to be a mp-only BF-like game.

Top Bottom