• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Boeing 787 Dreamliner fire, closes Heathrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

kmag

I don't think the 787 is having an abnormal amount of issues for a completely new airplane, but it has such bad PR that every issue is going to make the headlines.

It's not the amount of issues, it's the nature of the issue. Persistent electrical fires are not within the realm of normal teething issues.

This looks to be in the wrong location for a battery pack fire, so it might be a new issue or it might be crew error.

cafemomo

Not good for the Dreamliner. I hope this can be sorted out quick and there won't be another 4 month grounding.

Unrelated to the fire, how the hell is Ethopian Airlines flying a 787 and yet of the major US airlines only United has a one?

Delta inherited a couple of 787 orders from Northwest but deferred them until 2020s or so. They intend to get every use out of their 767s before jumping into the 787. American has some on order I believe, but it's up to the pending pilot contract or something along of those lines.

As regards to Ethiopian owning a 787, they are a state owned airline. Hell the average fleet of age of theirs is about 8 years old compared to most US majors which average about 11-13 years old.

Jezbollah

United Airlines are currently flying 6 787s.

Probably pure speculation but I see in The Telegraph's comments section, some are saying the planes coffee making machine was left on, which then caught fire. Apparently the master switch did not trip.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...fter-Dreamliner-catches-fire-at-Heathrow.html

The fire was in the vicinity of the rear galley so this is very possible and much easier to resolve technically and PR wise.

Boeing will likely be more concerned with why the Thomson 787 had technical difficulties.

caramac

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23364389

BBC said:
Air accident investigators looking into the Boeing 787 Dreamliner fire at Heathrow last week may have identified the cause.

They have asked that all Boeing 787's switch off an electrical component until further notice.

In a statement, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch said a transmitter used to locate aircraft after a crash needed more "airworthiness actions".

Boeing said it "supports the two recommendations from the AAIB.

Nevasleep

Twitter: @NYCAviation: Multiple sources now reporting that JAL 7 is returning to Boston due to a fuel pump issue. No emergency declared, just a precaution.

Raist

Banned
Oh yeah I was there. This happened shortly before my flight was gonna leave and I was rather pissed off.

I mean we were sitting on the ground for ages only being informed that landings and take off were suspended "for some reason". Eventually they told us that this was because some plane parked somewhere was on fire, the fire brigade was on the case and thus there wasn't enough of them to watch over the runways. Like, seriously?

I feel bad for Boeing. I recently took a flying lesson at Paine field outside Seattle, next to Boeing's main factory. They had about 7 787's sitting on a runaway in the private airfield, just waiting, mostly completed. My instructor said those plane have been sitting for a long time and were there since Boeing had too many other plans just sitting due to problems.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I actually rode one of these last month on a flight to Poland.

Sad news, the Dreamliner seems like such an awesome plane.

Its just a regular old plane, if you ask me. I mean, there's marginally more space on them than your average domestic plane, but that's true for most long-haul flights. I suppose most of the improvements are things I couldn't see. I guess it was kind of neat to have a little map showing where we are in the flight. I guess. Some asshole had a 300,000 score on in-flight Tetris too and I barely cracked the top ten with like 145,000. I don't even know how that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom