• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Airlines plane not cleared for long flights over water flies to Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.
"All I can say is, thank God they didn't have an emergency on that flight."

150913151132-american-airlines-file-medium-plus-169.jpg

CNN said:
American Airlines confirms to CNN that it accidentally put an Airbus A321S aircraft -- that was not certified to fly over the Pacific -- on a long-haul flight from Los Angeles to Hawaii.

American spokesman Casey Norton said "someone on the ground" realized the mix-up sometime after AA Flight 31 had departed LAX on August 31st, filled with passengers and crew. American Airlines declined to identify who first noticed the mistake.

Norton said American immediately notified the flight crew and the Federal Aviation Administration and the decision was made to allow the crew to complete the flight, and the plane landed safely in Honolulu.

Hawaii-bound aircraft are required by the FAA to have extra fire suppression equipment in the cargo hold and extra medical equipment on board, including oxygen -- since there are no points in between for an aircraft to divert to if there is an on board emergency. American Airlines said the correct aircraft, the A321-H, was just put into service on August 18th.

Norton said the new plane was part of the airline's long-term strategy to upgrade service, and it replaced a Boeing 757 that flew that route up until last month.

"Somebody screwed up big-time, somewhere," an American Airlines pilot, who is not authorized to speak on the record, told CNN.

I'm not a fan of AA at all and this certainly doesn't help matters.

Iceman

Just took a couple of AA flights yesterday (a 1 hour connecting leg and a 5 hour cross country one). I've normally tried to avoid them, but I am happy to say that I think they've really improved.

Chris R

Seriously. Nothing to see here, at all.

Nothing to see other than the fact that some glitch somewhere along the way allowed the wrong plane to take off?

What if it didn't have the fuel to make the flight and they only found out after it was too late to turn back?

Leynos

Nothing to see other than the fact that some glitch somewhere along the way allowed the wrong plane to take off?

What if it didn't have the fuel to make the flight and they only found out after it was too late to turn back?

The flight computer, and pilots will be able to determine that there is insufficient fuel to get to the destination before the flight even begins.

This was a minor error.

Wrong plane meaning one that wasn't specifically equipped for the flight. Not "oops we boarded a plane heading for San Francisco."

The plane is fueled based on its destination, not how many fire extinguishers are on board. Fuel wasn't an issue.

Falcs

Banned
Hey American Airlines isn't too bad. I accidentally left my wallet on one of their planes, and they posted it to my hotel. Although I had to pay Fedex $40.

v4gr4nt

That the aircraft is not ETOPs certified doesnt mean that the A321 cant flight ETOPs.

Edit: AA should have the procedures and systems in place to avoid these cases, however it doesnt mean there was a high probability that an accident may have happened

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

If you read the article. It was for fire extinguishers and medical supplies. Basically if someone had a heart attack, they could treat it since they can't make an emergency landed. The aircraft itself could still clearly make the flight with no problem. With the same risk as any other flight.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I guess that ridiculous stack of paperwork they're always waiting for at the gate, is actually just handwritten Twilight fanfic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom