• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egypt Air flight from Paris disappears from radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
@EGYPTAIR: An informed source at EGYPTAIR stated that Flight no MS804,which departed Paris at 23:09 (CEST),heading to Cairo has disappeared from radar.
https://twitter.com/EGYPTAIR/status/733129477941788672

Edit:
‏@declanwalsh: Egypt Air confirming disappearance of flight 804 from Paris to Cairo, with 59 passengers and 10 crew on board.

Edit 2:
EgyptAir Flight 804 heading from Paris to Cairo disappeared from radar with 66 people on board, the airline said.
The plane was flying at 37,000 feet when it disappeared shortly after entering Egyptian airspace, the airline tweeted.
The Airbus A320 had 56 passengers, including two infants, and 10 crew members, said Capt. Ahmed Adel, vice chairman of EgyptAir.
If it entered Egypt airspace and did not report in, that's highly significant, CNN aviation analyst Mary Schiavo said.

What we know

--The A320 was flying at 37,000 feet when it vanished from radar
--It left Paris at 11:09 p.m. Paris time
--It was due to land in Cairo at 3:15 a.m.
--Communication with the plane was lost at 2:45 a.m.
--66 people were on board: 56 passengers, 10 crew

"Since they were 10 miles into Egypt airspace, they should have reported in. If anything had been going on they would have reported at that time," she said.
Conditions were clear and calm when the plane crossed over the Mediterranean, according to CNN meteorologist Michael Guy.

In a statement on its website, Charles de Gaulle Airport said EgyptAir Flight 804 left Paris at 11:09 p.m. local time and was supposed to land in Cairo at 3.15 a.m. Thursday. Both the departure and arrival cities are in the same time zone.

The Egyptian navy is conducting search and rescue operations in the area, CNN's Ian Lee said from Cairo.

The plane's captain had 6,000 flying hours while the first officer had 4,000, Adel said.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/middl...t-disappears0357AMVODtopVideo&linkId=24656916

brian577

Banned
Considering it was coming from Paris odds are it's not terrorism. Airport security being what it is in Europe right now.

s_mirage

Disappearing from radar is never a good sign. I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but it most likely crashed.

Yup, and given that it just disappeared rather than showing any course or altitude change, it would suggest that whatever went wrong happened suddenly.

Definitely grim, but hoping by a miracle everyone ends up ok.

Sidenote: why do I ever read the comments on anything. damn there's some real shitstains out there. Absolutely worthless people.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Considering it was coming from Paris odds are it's not terrorism. Airport security being what it is in Europe right now.

Airport security does nothing for pilot behavior, crew, etc.

Honestly? AirEgypt is a BIG coincidence considering the number of other airlines flying out of Paris.

Always dumb to assume. But times have changed.

MIMIC

Banned
As in technical issues.

Well, as far as air incidents go, it completely possible.

EDIT: Where it isn't a crash? I'd say that it's very remote. The plane has been missing for more than an hour and I can't think of a time when a missing plane turned out to be a non-fatal incident.

NBC News Digital Editor:

Micah GrimesVerified account ‏@MicahGrimes 3m3 minutes ago
EgyptAir says Flight MS804 disappeared from radar at 2:45 A.M. Cairo time. It is now 5:22 A.M. in Cairo.

Apparently disappeared 10 minutes before it entered Egyptian airspace as well.

sangreal

This seems like a huge leap given nearly zero information. Also I flew out of Germany a few days ago and security was nothing special

dluu13

What's really haunting to me is that on Cairo International Airport's arrivals page, the status of this flight is blank, as if it's normal. I wonder if they will have a representative at the airport specifically.
HnwEHc6.png

Disappeared from radar at 37,000ft according to Flight Radar data.

That is quite peculiar if it was mechanical problems.

Seems quite sudden...

Probably just crashed in the water. Mechanical failure or something along those lines.

It happens. Sadly.

Since it was on a straight trajectory with no deviation, it appears to have happened suddenly without time for adjustment.

Anyone know weather conditions at the time of disappearance there?

Alienous

EDIT: Where it isn't a crash? I'd say that it's very remote. The plane has been missing for more than an hour and I can't think of a time when a missing plane turned out to be a non-fatal incident.

Right, that's what I was wondering. I couldn't think of a time where a similar situation ended up as a non-fatal incident but I wasn't sure if it was a reporting bias.

The thought of this is awful.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Probably just crashed in the water. Mechanical failure or something along those lines.

It happens. Sadly.

Since it was on a straight trajectory with no deviation, it appears to have happened suddenly without time for adjustment

Which is exactly what it would look like on radar for explosive decompression. Look,

1. I want the plane to be OK and some bizarre maneuver made it vanish.
2. Precedent.
3. Geopolitics

Syriel

It happens. Sadly.

Since it was on a straight trajectory with no deviation, it appears to have happened suddenly without time for adjustment.

Anyone know weather conditions at the time of disappearance there?

If it crashed, it wouldn't just vanish at 37,000 feet. There would be a track of it dropping in altitude.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Airline tweeted a correction that the plane was 10 miles within, not outside Egyptian airspace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom