• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian airliner carrying more than 200 passengers missing on flight over Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

A Russian airliner carrying 224 passengers and crew crashed in Egypt's Sinai peninsula on Saturday, the Egyptian civil aviation authority said, and a security officer who arrived on the scene said all aboard the plane were probably dead.

The Airbus A-321, operated by Russian airline Kogalymavia with registration number KGL-9268, was flying from the Sinai Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh to St Petersburg in Russia when it went down in a desolate mountainous area of central Sinai soon after daybreak, the aviation ministry said.

It took off at 5:51 a.m. Cairo time (0351 GMT) and disappeared from radar screens 23 minutes later, Egypt's Civil Aviation Ministry said in a statement.

The plane was completely destroyed and all those on board are likely to have died, the Egyptian security officer who arrived at the scene told Reuters by telephone.

Egyptian security sources said there was no indication that the Airbus jet had been shot down or blown up.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/31/us-egypt-crash-idUSKCN0SP06V20151031

pigeon

Banned
reuters said:
Egyptian air traffic control lost contact with a civilian airliner carrying 212 people shortly after it took off from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh to head to Russia, aviation sources said on Saturday.

The sources said the passenger plane was mainly carrying Russian tourists and that a search was underway.

Security sources in the Sinai Peninsula confirmed reports that an aircraft was missing.

There are contradiction in the news, some media outlets claim it fell in Sinai and others states that it's arrived the Turkish airspace safely.

lednerg

Shit. I hope it's just some communications glitch.

I want to make a joke about the next month of CNN programming, but it feels too bad.

chadskin

Egypt's air accident chief said on Saturday that a missing passenger plane on its way to Russia had safely left Egyptian airspace and made contact with Turkish air traffic control.

"The ... Russian airline had told us that the Russian plane we lost contact with is safe and that it has contacted Turkish air traffic control and is passing through Turkish skies now," Ayman al-Muqaddam, the head of the central air traffic accident authority in Egypt, said in a statement.

goomba

Banned
Holy shit :( hope they are ok

Cant help but think of the islamic militant threats to russia after the russian attacks on them in syria.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like it was a charter flight from Sharm el-Sheikh, so that means that tourists were on board

chadskin

More details on the plane from Russian state media:
The Airbus that was reported going off radar and crashing in the Sinai Peninsula was travelling from the Egyptian resort Sharm El-Sheikh to St. Petersburg, Ria Novosti reported. It belonged to Kogalymavia airline, a small airline based in Western Siberia.

Egyptian sources told Reuters there were 212 people on board when the plane went down, most of them Russian tourists. Russian sources put the number at 224.

I assume 212 passengers and 12 crew members.

goomba

Banned
What the fuck. So is it safe or did it crash? How can they have such mixed messages?

Because the media like to report before they confirm news from their sources.

Like on 9/11 initial reports were that a small non commerical plane accidently hit one of the twin towers.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
A source in the Russian air traffic controller told Ria Novosti that the plane went missing near Cyprus rather than over Sinai. But some Egyptian media claim the crash site has already been discovered in Egypt.

spooky.

Because the media like to report before they confirm news from their sources.

Like on 9/11 initial reports were that a small non commerical plane accidently hit one of the twin towers.

I get that but the first update explicitly said that they confirmed it safely made contact in Turkish airspace. I mean, it either did or it didn't, I'm not sure how the official could release that statement with the wrong information

goomba

Banned
I get that but the first update explicitly said that they confirmed it safely made contact in Turkish airspace. I mean, it either did or it didn't, I'm not sure how the official could release that statement with the wrong information

the offical probably did not release that statement at all

LQX

Weird. A few minutes ago when I clicked one of the links it said the plane was safe and contact was made. How does a mistake like that happen if the plane did indeed crash? Odd.

R.I.P to all.

Wth, two statements from official sources saying way opposite things at roughly the same time.

Still hoping for the best, but doesn't sound likely now....

chadskin

So, there are three versions right now

1. Flight safely entered Turkish airspace (Egypt's air accident chief)
  2. Flight crashed in Sinai (Egypt PM)
  3. Flight crashed near Cyprus (Sky News Al-Arabiya / Ria Novosti, based on Russian air traffic controller sources)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom