• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian airliner carrying more than 200 passengers missing on flight over Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Banned
Dang, if this was actually an ISIS attack in retaliation to Russian intervention in Syria, their operation speed in spectacular compared to old school terrorists like Al Qaeda.

Wonder how the conspiracy websites are treatng this story. It could either be a Russian false flag to further legitimize their intervention or an american plot to make sure Russia gets mired in the middle east like the US lead Iraq invasion.

Kinda ironic(and tragic) that last year a civilian airliner was brought down by militants being supported by Russia and now a Russian civilian airliner gets taken down by militants(I'm going with the British and US theories here).

I hope Russia avenges this by killing thousands of extremists or "moderates" (they're really extremists) in Syria. It might even help stabilize Syria if the allies don't bolster their support.

Joni

Dang, if this was actually an ISIS attack in retaliation to Russian intervention in Syria, their operation speed in spectacular compared to old school terrorists like Al Qaeda.
It is even more remarkable as Russia is mainly targetting the Syrian branch of Al Qaeda. ISIS basically did what Al Qaeda can't against the major enemy of Al Qaeda.

until the investigations are over, there's no point in speculation.

You do realize that investigation takes years? By your logic you need to forget that this ever happened. I agree with you that talking about theories that are unlikely (like the plane being attacked by UFO) is pointless. But there's nothing wrong talking about theories that Egypt, US, and Great Britain are saying are are very likely.

Also I just checked out Russian "news" websites and I find their coverage of the incident shocking. I've seen Russian media lie (to put it lightly) about Ukraine, but that could be explained as war propaganda. I knew they were a bit in denial about this incident, but the coverage I'm seeing is saying that the theory that this was a terrorist act somehow helps the West. WTF? How does it help the the West if the terrorists kill Russian civilians?

jelly

Probably because Putin has to stop playing Assads gun for hire and start a massive war campaign against ISIS which I doubt he wants to do and Russians would not care for it either.

Suen

Not fully confirmed, security sources say this happened, some military spokesman said it didn't. I'll take the words of the security forces for now.

Egypt kills 24 militants in central Sinai, security sources say

CAIRO (Reuters) - Egyptian security forces shot dead 24 Islamic State militants in central Sinai, 70 km (40 miles) from the crash site of a Russian airliner the group says it brought down, security sources said on Monday.

They said security forces killed the militants as they hid inside a cave in a mountainous area and that they captured eight other militants. A military spokesman denied the incident took place, without elaborating. It was not immediately possible to resolve the contradiction.

Sinai Province, Islamic State's Egypt branch, is active in North Sinai where two years ago it launched an insurgency and has since killed hundreds of soldiers and policemen. It is rarely active outside that area.

Western governments said it was likely that the Russian airliner that crashed in the Sinai on Oct. 31, killing all 224 people on board, was downed by a bomb and Islamic State has said it was responsible.

Egyptian authorities say the bomb theory is premature and that only the conclusion of an official investigation will shed light on what brought down the Airbus 321.

Sinai Province said in a statement on the day of the crash that it had downed the plane in response to Russian air strikes in Syria.

Nabbis

Goddammit. Im boarding a plane to Brussels and then to South asia. This crap terrifies me

One plane amongst hundreds every day? You probably have a higher probability of dying from a car crash. If anything id worry more about Russian shitty maintenance.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not surprising but damn. Wonder if there will be a more specific response than continued bombing.

Undead

Any internal European travel is probably very safe. Airport security is top notch here.

Clearly you have never been to DUB, EDI, LGW, MUC or MAD. And that's just the ones where I've personally seen them be slacking off at in the security department with talking or playing on their phones or whatever

MJPIA

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-85060246/

The FSB also offered a $50 million reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible, appealing to the "Russian and international communities for cooperation in identifying the terrorists." The FSB specified that the reward would be paid in dollars.
Putin vowed to hunt down those responsible for the attack.

"There's no statute of limitations for this. We need to know all of their names," Putin said. "We're going to look for them everywhere wherever they are hiding. We will find them in any place on Earth and punish them."
Putin said Tuesday that Russia's air campaign in Syria "should not only be continued but should be intensified so that the criminals realize that retribution is inevitable."

He instructed the Defense Ministry and General Staff to present their suggestions on how Russia's operation in Syria could be modified.

Putin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the president's order didn't mean that Russia was considering sending ground troops to Syria.
"In this work, including the search to find and punish the criminals, we are relying on all of our friends," Putin said. "We will act in accordance with the U.N. Charter's Article 51, which gives each country the right to self-defense. Everyone who tries to aid the criminals should understand that they will be responsible for giving them shelter."

Putin was unusually somber. After Bortnikov pronounced it a terrorist act, Putin asked the other officials around the table to stand for a moment of silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom