• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian airliner carrying more than 200 passengers missing on flight over Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, there are three versions right now

1. Flight safely entered Turkish airspace (Egypt's air accident chief)
  2. Flight crashed in Sinai (Egypt PM)
  3. Flight crashed near Cyprus (Sky News Al-Arabiya / Ria Novosti, based on Russian air traffic controller sources)

really weird they could not get this right considering 224 lives here

chadskin

UNCONFIRMED: Flightradar24 lost tracking of Kolavia A321 EI-ETJ flight #7K9268 over Egypt
It's NOT confirmed that this flight has crashed. It descended 5000 feet before Flightradar24 coverage was lost.
CSoR-s3UwAAuAZZ.png

via https://twitter.com/flightradar24

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
^ Egyptian state is confirming it crashed, it doesn't matter if flightradar24.com isn't.

e: Regarding the multiple stories thing, I mean.

Looks like it was a charter flight from Sharm el-Sheikh, so that means that tourists were on board
Hmm. So a one-off flight and not something with a regular schedule? That's a pretty random target and literally could have been one of dozens of tourist flights a day that go through that area it was shot down.

This sounds awful, but I really hope it's something as generic as "just" a plane crash or "just" ISIS without any need for conspiracies or additional wars being started as a result. Yeah, I know it's already too late. I wouldn't put anything past Russia these days after the final MH17 report showed them culpable.
could ISIS target Russians so quickly?
I believe there's some ISIS presence in Sinai, as it's a military-free zone (officially) without much enforcement despite the strategic location, and Israel has tried to blame them for supporting forces in Gaza despite my never having heard any evidence to that effect.

I wonder if the Egyptians will allow the Russian crash investigators permission to the site or deny them like the Russians did to the Dutch investigators with MH17.

My thoughts go out to the families of the deceased.

These last few years have been awful for planes glad I don't fly.

The sheer numbers of flights that occur each day make this a rare occurrence. The human mind gives more weight to these events than is statistically significant.

Mii

Banned
These last few years have been awful for planes glad I don't fly.

Better not look at stats on car accidents, you will never leave your house again.

As for this, if ISIS is found responsible, Putin will drastically increase his involvement in Syria.

so fired from sepratists area in ukraine = russia culpable ?

If the missle being fired from a separatist controlled town using Russian military missles isn't enough for you, you probably don't want to be convinced.

But there is far more evidence, from videos of the anti-air system fleeing Ukraine to recordings of separatists cheering the bringing down of what they thought was a Ukrainian fighter plane.

We might be leaning more toward some mechanical issue, maybe maybe? That would still be a catastrophe but at least not an international incident.
Fired by Russian soldiers (or, at best, people poorly trained by Russian soldiers) from Russian radar-guided missile systems in the Russian-occupied "separatist" area of Ukraine = Russia culpable, yes! Just stop. Now. Please. Don't be a dick about this.

chadskin

No Ukrainian miner (i.e. the separatists) is able to operate a Buk missile system, to the point where they're able to shoot down Ukrainian fighter jets like they have been in the weeks leading up to July 17, 2014. There's also strong evidence the Buk missile system that was responsible for the downing of MH-17 was transported back to Russia.

If that's not enough for you, the criminal investigation by the Joint Investigation Team is currently still underway and will directly assign blame to a party. It's expected they will release their report early next year.

goomba

Banned
No Ukrainian miner (i.e. the separatists) is able to operate a Buk missile system, to the point where they're able to shoot down Ukrainian fighter jets like they have been in the weeks leading up to July 17, 2014. There's also strong evidence the Buk missile system that was responsible for the downing of MH-17 was transported back to Russia.

If that's not enough for you, the criminal investigation by the Joint Investigation Team is currently still underway and will directly assign blame to a party. It's expected they will release their report early next year.

Yes lets wait for that future report then. I only mentioned this because the poster incorrectly stated the recently released report assigned blame, which it did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom