• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian airliner carrying more than 200 passengers missing on flight over Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konka

Banned
There are survivors in most plane crashes. If we take the A320 series (this was an A321) and look at the statistics:

For every hull loss (plane that was damaged beyond repair) there were 39 fatalities and even the smallest A318 fits 100 passengers.

Some planes are also quite tough. The Gimli Glider was repaired and used for 25 years after its crash landing. I don't think it needs saying that everyone survived on board.

Yeah not to mention that the majority of incidents have no fatalities and they aren't headline news so people don't see them. It's like if you only ever heard about car accidents that are deadly.

brian577

Banned
No distress call was made before the crash. The twists keep coming.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34689870

A Russian aircraft did not lodge an SOS call before crashing in Sinai, killing all 224 people on board, Egypt's civil aviation minister says.

Initial reports from Egypt said the pilot of the Kogalymavia airline had asked to make an emergency landing.

But minister Hossam Kamal said there had been no sign of any problems on board the flight.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does ISIS even have access to launchers in Sinai that could shoot anything down at that altitude?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Does ISIS even have access to launchers in Sinai that could shoot anything down at that altitude?

no. no anti aircraft tools in their possession would be able to take down a plane at that altitude. They're just profiteering from it. It's basically confirmed it was a mechanical failure of sort

RIP to all the victims

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Assuming Isis' "plan" is to create a functioning Islamic state, they are really, really bad at it.

The reality is it's a bunch of extremist thugs and criminals recruiting literate extremists and illiterate adventurists and simply thrashing around in chaos. They can't achieve anything except destruction and horror.

Is that what they think their religion is? Is that what they think Muhammad preached? Do they think a perfect omnipotent being wants a world of rape and murder and mutilation?

There's no path or plan beyond self immolation and it's really just a question of how long they can last and how many atrocities they can commit before it collapses on them.

The plane broke up mid-air according to Russia

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34694057

I don't know what can cause a plane to break up apart from an explosion of some sort

665888lggwtney9a.gif

I know the chances are very slim of something happening but my best friend is flying on a plane very similar to this one as I type right now. Got me worried.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Manpads can't reach high enough.

Seems a MANPAD can reach 15k ft and the plane was at 31k ft so out of range unless ISIS has other more advanced surface to air missiles.

I think at this point their claims are fake.

krang

I'm no expert, but I didn't think the sort of bomb you could sneak onboard would be able to make a plane "break apart", so much as terminally damage it.

I currently have two thoughts: 1) I wonder how will Russia now change their tact in Syria if it is likely to be ISIS? 2) I wonder how Russian officials will now privately feel about MA17. It's a bit crass during such a terrible event, but I can't help but feel like there's some karma in there that I hope makes them be a bit more proactive about that shooting.

Interesting that the explosions seems to come from the rear of the plane, based on the video. Certainly does not appear to come from either engine.

reckless

Interesting that the explosions seems to come from the rear of the plane, based on the video. Certainly does not appear to come from either engine.

Well it's not like it would be difficult to fake a video like that, trying to draw conclusions from a video thats probably fake seems like a waste of time.

reckless

Can you fire AK or anti-air gun at that altitude from the ground?

Not even close.

Their longest range anti air gun is the AZP S-60 its range according to wikipedia:

6,000 m (20,000 ft) (radar guided)
4,000 m (13,000 ft) (optically guided)

This is also giant and you need a crew of 7 to use, not exactly easy to hide.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Whatever happened it was sudden, because they found corpses still buckled in their seats. Debris field has a size of elongated ellipse, covers roughly 15 km2 , so that would indicate that plane disintegrated at high altitude (5000 m+)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kind of weird that when people think someone blew up a plane these days, the first idea is that it was done from the ground. Used to be that people thought a device on board would be the first possibility.

Whatever happened it was sudden, because they found corpses still buckled in their seats. Debris field has a size of elongated ellipse, covers roughly 15 km2 , so that would indicate that plane disintegrated at high altitude (5000 m+)

Why would they not find corpses still buckled to the seats?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kind of weird that when people think someone blew up a plane these days, the first idea is that it was done from the ground. Used to be that people thought a device on board would be the first possibility.

?

Because people here are young and only remember recent events. That would be my guess. My first thought still goes straight to a bomb on board.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Why would they not find corpses still buckled to the seats?
Pilot could already turned off seat belt sign before the decompression or structural failure happened... from my experience on charter flights, majority of passenegers unbuckle their seat belts as soon as light go off.

I think that investigators will soon determine if explosive device was cause of the crash

Seems similar to this crash.

Tail damage repaired some years ago.

Explosive decompression at cruising altitude.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_611
Watched Air Crash investigation episode about that flight.. horrible stuff.
Even time scale (from takeoff to lost contact) is similar

Kinyou

Looks very fake to me. You also don't see any parts breaking off. That the repairs were botched seems most likely.

s_mirage

Recorded on a potato, completely out of focus, odd angle. I'm not putting money on this footage being genuine.

chadskin

Guys, this is the same video that was distributed yesterday, hours before ISIS claimed responsibility, just zoomed in on the plane.

ISIS did not (yet) publish a video on its usual social media pages. If they do, AFP, Reuters, AP and/or other reputable outlets who are all watching them closely will let you know.

Guys, this is the same video that was distributed yesterday, hours before ISIS claimed responsibility, just zoomed in on the plane.

ISIS did not (yet) publish a video on its usual social media pages. If they do, AFP, Reuters, AP and/or other reputable outlets who are all watching them closely will let you know.

Yup

Undead

Probably fake video BUT as news outlets are pointing out, those daesh isis fucks have never claimed responsibility for an attack they didn't do.

It broke up in air...

If it was ISIS, how the hell do they have capability to

A) Shoot down a fucking plane
B) Do so within Egypt

I mean, this is just more confusing now

Uhyve

How long does black box data usually take to recover? You think they'd know exactly what happened by now.

Probably fake video BUT as news outlets are pointing out, those daesh isis fucks have never claimed responsibility for an attack they didn't do.
I don't think any of the official isis channels have actually claimed responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom