• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian airliner carrying more than 200 passengers missing on flight over Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarNaru33

Banned
It broke up in air...

If it was ISIS, how the hell do they have capability to

A) Shoot down a fucking plane
B) Do so within Egypt

I mean, this is just more confusing now

Very likely a bomb on the plane if they really did blow it up. There is just no way for them to shoot it down from the ground.

Someone on one of the aviation enthusiast forums spotted this photo of the plane taken on May this year. Look at the state of that rudder. :-S

Eh, probably nothing to see here. As far as I can make out staining like that is nothing out of the ordinary.

Yrael

Most recent update on the Telegraph:

Bomb most likely cause, says French aviation expert

Michel Polacco, aviation expert on France Info radio, said terrorism was the most likely cause of the crash.

"A break-up of the plane mid-flight that results in the type of debris we have seen can only come from a serious blow to the plane's structure," and most likely an explosion, said Mr Polacco, a pilot and flight instructor.

"It can be due to technical causes, but that is very unlikely and has rarely occured. That leads us to the terrorist line of inquiry, of a bomb that can have such effects," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...examine-theory-that-Isil-bombed-airliner.html

Planes don't break up in mid air anymore and ISIS doesn't have the tech to shoot down an airliner at high altitude. Onboard bomb is probably the correct theory :(

chadskin

The only reasonable explanation for the crash of a Russian passenger jet in Egypt is "an external influence," an executive from the airline that operated the flight said Monday, stressing that planes don't just break apart in midair.

"We exclude technical problems and reject human error," Alexander Smirnov, an official at the airline, told a news conference as he discussed possible causes of the crash.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/02/africa/russian-plane-crash-egypt-sinai/index.html

Well damn.

Kuros

Tail strike i'm betting. The tail on that craft had already been repaired.

There aren't any BUKs in Sinai. So its that or a bomb.

Irminsul

The airline saying "Nowt to do with us guv!" isn't surprising.
Indeed. Of course they're trying to save their asses. Until there is any official news (and no, the airline saying it has nothing to do with them is not official news), everything else is speculation.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The airline saying "Nowt to do with us guv!" isn't surprising.

Yes, but it doesn't really happen that an airline to mention an external factor without any reason at all. Nobody goes out and says "it was terrorism" just to cover his own ass, really.

Usually the damage control is "let's wait for the conclusions of the inquiry, our plane was in perfect shape, the pilots have a lot of experience ..."

syllogism

Yes, but it doesn't really happen that an airline to mention an external factor without any reason at all. Nobody goes out and says "it was terrorism" just to cover his own ass, really.

Usually the damage control is "let's wait for the conclusions of the inquiry, our plane was in perfect shape, the pilots have a lot of experience ..."
It's worth noting that this is a very small airline with a fleet of only 6 aircraft. Russia ordered them to suspend all flights following the incident. It's unclear whether Metrojet can even continue operating. What you said is likely true for any major airline, but may not be here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's worth noting that this is a very small airline with a fleet of only 6 aircraft. Russia ordered them to suspend all flights following the incident. What you said is likely true for any major airline, but may not be here.

Still, I think someone from the Russian authorities would have told them to keep the mouth shut. But yeah, who knows?

goomba

Banned
I find it interesting how many are so sure are that ISIS (or other islamic militants) cant possibly possess equipment capable of shooting the plane down.

These militants have support from around the world. Isis also sell a lot of oil.

I find it interesting how many are so sure are that ISIS (or other islamic militants) cant possibly possess equipment capable of shooting the plane down.

These militants have support from around the world. Isis also sell a lot of oil.
Because it is a scary thought that now terrorists don't even need to get on planes to take them down anymore and that now they can shoot down planes flying 30,000 feet in the air with no risk to themselves.

Sayad

It's not that they can't posses it, it's that there isn't any MPADS that reach that high, and anything bigger would be really hard to sneak into Egypt without anyone noticing.

There's a difference between having money and having the capacity to shoot down a plane at cruising altitude without several military intelligence agencies knowing about it.

If this is ISIS, there is a small part of me that feels sorry for them, they will see this as a victory, when in fact its more akin to a suicide note! Putin will decimate them, he's already proved he will do what he wants

I just feel for the victims and their families they will see this played out on the world stage and it become a political point scoring exercise if it is terrorism

Kuros

Because it is a scary thought that now terrorists don't even need to get on planes to take them down anymore and that now they can shoot down planes flying 30,000 feet in the air with no risk to themselves.

They won't have taken it down from the ground. Either its a smuggled bomb or a tail strike and the airline is desperately trying to stay in business.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Going by this photo doesn't really look like a tail strike outcome:

egypt-russia-airplane-crash1.jpg

Edit: the fuselage seems ripped off there, in straight line at the back of the plane.

lenos16

Hmm, still think it's a mechanical error. Though some have also suggested a bomb. Anyway let's hope that the situation does not get out of hand here.

If this is ISIS, there is a small part of me that feels sorry for them, they will see this as a victory, when in fact its more akin to a suicide note! Putin will decimate them, he's already proved he will do what he wants

I really don't like your comment here for a couple of reasons.

1. Putin didn't really fully address this on the state owned TV until today. When Boeing was shut down in Ukraine where Russia supposedly wasn't involved and no Russian citizen died he was on TV in a middle of the night... That's a bit weird (in both cases actually)
2. You comment made me think of Apartment Bombings that got Putin pretty much elected and re-elected. There's very strong evidence that FSB (formally KGB) was behind these bombings... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_apartment_bombings

M3d10n

I really don't like your comment here for a couple of reasons.

1. Putin didn't really fully address this on the state owned TV until today. When Boeing was shut down in Ukraine where Russia supposedly wasn't involved and no Russian citizen dies he was on TV in a middle of the night... That's a bit weird (in both cases actually)
2. You comment made me think of Apartment Bombings that got Putin pretty much elected and re-elected. There's very strong evidence that FSB (formally KGB) was behind these bombings... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_apartment_bombings

It does seem very convenient, doesn't it? Putin will have all the reasons he needs to do whatever he wants in the region.

KHarvey16

Be careful of experts on TV. Some might feel like they need to say something beyond "we don't know yet" and make speculative claims that aren't really more valid than anyone else's speculative claims. And certainly don't rely on statements from an employee of the airline involved in the accident regarding the cause at such an early stage.

If the black boxes were recovered, and I saw claims that they had been, they have the data and are certainly analyzing it now. It will likely require a bit of looking into before drawing any meaningful conclusions, so we might not hear about any official explanation for some time. It may become obvious and an announcement will be made, but it could also be complicated and difficult to know without extensive investigation.

An aircraft can break up in flight for a pretty large number of reasons. All of those reasons are incredibly improbable, and without knowing the specific history of this airplane and the sensor data on the FDR it's impossible to say if any of them are less improbable.

It's worth noting that this is a very small airline with a fleet of only 6 aircraft. Russia ordered them to suspend all flights following the incident. It's unclear whether Metrojet can even continue operating. What you said is likely true for any major airline, but may not be here.

Russian forces have already raided their offices as well. Employees were complaining about mechanical issues weeks before, sounds more like desperation from the airline.

Kuros

Going by this photo doesn't really look like a tail strike outcome:

egypt-russia-airplane-crash1.jpg

Edit: the fuselage seems ripped off there, in straight line at the back of the plane.

You can't really tell from a photo like that as the original failure can cause break up in different places. We won't know until the report. There was a Vhina Airlines flight that went down in 2002 from a 20 year old badly done repair.

Damn. They already have the Black Boxes and the airline going ahead and saying it probably was an external cause... I mean... they wouldn't simply do that to save their asses, right?

Fuck. I wanna know what happened.

Kuros

Damn. They already have the Black Boxes and the airline going ahead and saying it probably was an external cause... I mean... they wouldn't simply do that to save their asses, right?

Fuck. I wanna know what happened.

It's entirely possible they would.

Reading from the quotes some of the stuff is nonsense. They've said that nothing could blow an aircraft apart which wasn't external. Which is nonsense. It's happened many times before often due to shitty maintenance followed by explosive decompression.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ru...hen-russian-metrojet-plane-crashed-no-n456161

While many have speculated that a missile may have struck a Russian commercial airliner that went down over Egypt's Sinai peninsula, U.S. officials are now saying satellite imagery doesn't back up that theory.

A senior defense official told NBC News late Monday that an American infrared satellite detected a heat flash at the same time and in the same vicinity over the Sinai where the Russian passenger plane crashed.

According to the official, U.S. intelligence analysts believe it could have been some kind of explosion on the aircraft itself, either a fuel tank or a bomb, but that there's no indication that a surface-to-air missile brought the plane down.

That same infrared satellite would have been able to track the heat trail of a missile from the ground.

"The speculation that this plane was brought down by a missile is off the table," the official said.

Onboard bomb or explosion seems most likely at this point.

These last few years have been awful for planes glad I don't fly.

Before the Malaysian flight was lost, international aviation had set a record for consecutive days without an accident. This is more or less the norm, but several high profile crashes have taken center stage for sure.

KHarvey16

Aside from mechanical failure, there's also the possibility it was something in the cargo that wasn't intentionally detonated. Perhaps something like lithium batteries or other hazardous cargo. I think faulty oxygen tanks led to a crash in the past as well.

Putin had it blown up to support his incursion against ISIS...

:tinfoilhat:

Seriously though, I'm really curious to know what happened and how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom