• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Marvel Spiderman 2 and Wolverine State Of Play

vivftp

I highly doubt they'll immediately return to Major Live Events, not just because of the pandemic.

I repeat... If they had a little interest in their client...

They wouldn't have done the kind of nonsense like raising the price of the console. I'm sorry, but that, plus the lack of communication with their public, have made them show a lack of interest.

Whether they return to live events or not is a big unknown. Sony are the co-owners of Evo, which had a large public event this year. They did plan to have "hundreds of fan events" prior to the PS5 launch before the pandemic scrapped all those plans. They even registered a new trademark for PSX (PlayStation Experience) last year, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that they'll return to a live format for a showcase while maintaining digital SoP's throughout the year. Next year would be the soonest we'd possibly see that happen, but it's all just speculation on our part right now.

As for raising the prices of the console, that's a result of the world economy being as it is, and Sony choosing not to eat those costs. Tell me, were you equally as upset and find it as anti-consumer when Sony Electronics raised the price of all their products earlier this year?

As for lack of communication, Sony and their studios are constantly engaging with the community every week. Unless you think the only way they can communicate with the public is via a SoP or Showcase, then you're very wrong by saying there's a lack of communication. Social media communication is constant and abundant. Advertisement is constant any ongoing. Interviews with news outlets occurs frequently. State of Plays occur often. Game releases have been as good as can be expected given the circumstances. Other than a showcase to announce their next wave of titles to market, their overall public communication has been excellent.

Making AAA games, GOTY contenders is actually showing interest for their customers. Everything else is fluff.

This.

People would rather jim ryan come out in a PR interview on a ps podcast with a sly cooper tee and promise that they’ll do x and x thing for them for years with nothign to show for it instead of being happy we are actually getting solid content rollout at this very moment.

We got two major games in the beginning of the year, one minor game last month and one major game again next month.

Last edited:
In what way? They’ve made both character action games and rated M games before

They haven't built any games where the focus has been hand to hand melee. They also haven't built many games with closed-off areas as the focal point of the game design. It's not something they did particularly well in Spider-Man.

Yes Insomniac has been extremely successful when they worked with Sony. I can see why they chose to join them.

Marvel reached out to Microsoft, but Microsoft didn't take a bite at the apple. That's because Microsoft knows they don't have the studios to make a game that would have had the appeal that Spider-Man did. Sony could have literally given it to one of 5 or 6 studios, but they wouldn't have been able to pull this off in the early 2000s.

If Microsoft had done it, it would have ended up with similar quality to the Activision games, but lower budget because it would only be on 2 platforms, instead of 4 or 5.

It was a real leap of faith Sony put in Insomniac to really deliver on Spider-Man and I hope they double down on that. I think they've been bitten a couple of times now with high budgets around Returnal and Demon's Souls, but I think those games help the prestige of PlayStation Studios even if they don't sell super well.

Marvel reached out to Microsoft, but Microsoft didn't take a bite at the apple. That's because Microsoft knows they don't have the studios to make a game that would have had the appeal that Spider-Man did. Sony could have literally given it to one of 5 or 6 studios, but they wouldn't have been able to pull this off in the early 2000s.

If Microsoft had done it, it would have ended up with similar quality to the Activision games, but lower budget because it would only be on 2 platforms, instead of 4 or 5.

It was a real leap of faith Sony put in Insomniac to really deliver on Spider-Man and I hope they double down on that. I think they've been bitten a couple of times now with high budgets around Returnal and Demon's Souls, but I think those games help the prestige of PlayStation Studios even if they don't sell super well.

I do find it strange that Microsoft complained about Spider-man being exclusive when they rejected it.

I do agree it was risky for Sony to give it to Insomniac but sometimes you need to risk it to have big pay offs in the end.

vivftp

To further clarify, Marvel went to Sony to ask them to work on a big budget exclusive game. It's been a long while since I read the post on it, so I don't recall if Insomniac was part of the original request or if Sony chose them for the task, but I think it's the latter. Insomniac was given the choice to work on whatever Marvel IP they wanted, and they chose Spider-Man, which is how everything came to be. Similarly, they came up with the pitch for Wolverine, proposed it and were given the green light to go ahead.

I don't believe this for a second.

There's no point in hyping 2023 and 2024 games in the middle of the '22 holiday season. Makes zero sense.

Last edited:
What happened to the other thread, where a group of people (based on nothing but Tweets) came to a consensus that the showcase was happening this month??

Anyway, I'm only looking forward to Ragnarok right now (with my PS5 due to be delivered this Friday).

We'll get a Showcase when we get it.

Last edited:
An Insomniac/Marvel dedicated SOP? Sounds like a weird idea...which is why I would not put it past the Sony of late. I'd still call bullshit on this rumour...

Top Bottom