• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Confirms Wolverine Game Is Set in the Same Universe as Spider-Man 2

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I would argue that this is bad news. A crossover is planned then, makes financial sense, but also means Wolverine will not be a rated M and it’s going to be a watered down version of the character. Kinda bummed out if this where the case.

I would argue that this is bad news. A crossover is planned then, makes financial sense, but also means Wolverine will not be a rated M and it’s going to be a watered down version of the character. Kinda bummed out if this where the case.

Doubt it.

Im not expecting much more than Easter eggs or small cameos

CGNoire

I calling it now...this games gonna suck.

No way is "modern" Insominac capable of making a hard R Wolverine game. Just look at the companys mission statement...

"We create unforgettable experiences driven by imagination and positivity, where music and art can inspire transformative moments around every corner.

Love, Care & Connection Above All
Everything we do comes from a place of love, striving to create safe spaces where people can connect on and off the dancefloor.

Built on Inclusivity
Our community stands for unity, celebrating and welcoming everyone. No matter your shape, size or color—All Are Welcome Here.

Creativity in Everything We Do
From the stages to the art, we ignite the senses with relentless creativity. We see no boundaries in what we can create, and neither should you.

Taking Risks & Breaking Rules
We don't chase trends, we create culture. We push the envelope to make things that you've never experienced before.

"We create culture"....yep like good little Maoists.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
CrbTxkQ.jpg

Bet you are right. They want maximum appeal and sales. After Spiderman sales they won't risk limiting their market with m rated game

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What’s this?
Foundations for a potential Insomniac-verse.

Spider-Man and Wolverine are in the same universe. Daredevil is in it too. So is Doctor Strange.

Things may or may not reach a point where we're seeing a full-fledged shared Insomniac universe with all heroes coming together because of how costly, complicated, and lengthy it is to make AAA games. But at least they are setting up the right foundation.

Nonehxc

Reveal in November or December, State of Play in February, Showcase in May with a release date October 2024. 🥲

You know Insomniac can perfectly do it, guys. They command the tightest ship this side of the galaxy. 🫡

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Reveal in November or December, State of Play in February, Showcase in May with a release date October 2024. 🥲

You know Insomniac can perfectly do it, guys. They command the tightest ship this side of the galaxy. 🫡
The team started in 2021. Would be unfair to expect anything before 2025.

I'd love to see it released in 2024, but I can't realistically see how that would be possible. 2025 at the earliest, may even be pushed to 2026, and it'd still be in line with normal AAA timelines.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I swear, if they'll make the game about Wolverine with the same amount of insane eye roll cringe, brain-dead Marvel humor, outdated open world design and everything around it from ~15-16 years ago, modern social media stuff and trends, politics etc,...

giphy.gif

X-Wing

I'd love to see it released in 2024, but I can't realistically see how that would be possible. 2025 at the earliest, may even be pushed to 2026, and it'd still be in line with normal AAA timelines.
Not sure this is right. Announcement was in 2021 but maybe they had been working on it for a while already at that point.

Rheon

I just don't have enough faith in Insomniac to believe they can do an IP like Wolverine justice.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not sure this is right. Announcement was in 2021 but maybe they had been working on it for a while already at that point.
It is the Miles Morales team that's working on it. They shipped Miles Morales in Nov. 2020.

2021 is the earliest they could start.

Mowcno

Hmmm, the engine is great but I hope the tone is different. I'm not able to picture a darker gritty setting with gore in the same world...
Deadpool was set in the same world as X-Men. Machete was set in the same world as Spy Kids... I'm sure there's many examples where a R rated movie is set in the same universe as a PG one.

Being in the same universe doesn't have anything to do with tone etc. Just means they share canon and character incarnations. Also not sure why a couple in here seem to be taking this as indication it'll be set in New York lol.

X-Wing

Deadpool was set in the same world as X-Men. Machete was set in the same world as Spy Kids... I'm sure there's many examples where a R rated movie is set in the same universe as a PG one.

Being in the same universe doesn't have anything to do with tone etc. Just means they share canon and character incarnations. Also not sure why a couple in here seem to be taking this as indication it'll be set in New York lol.

Thank you!

Nonehxc

🤨👉🏼 INSOMNIAC 👈🏼🤨

The name of the studio wasn't chosen on a whim. 🤭

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
New reveal coming in a December showcase. This time with gameplay.

That's what I'm predicting.

Puscifer

I mean it's definitely a "my dad works at Nintendo" situation

But assume I'm telling you the truth that someone I know in a decent position at insomniac was liking comments regarding the tone they wanted to see around the announcements so unless something's changed it's going to be bloody so I wouldn't worry. Plus it's Sony, M rated ultra violence is basically their thing now for better or worse.

shamoomoo

Being anti-woke = Racist?

What a nuanced take.
It is,the phrase "woke" only meant being aware of the injustices/social issues that occurs in the U.S for Black people before white politicians or whomever twisted the word to mean anything the wanted to mean.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Honestly, not sure this is a good thing taking in count what they have did on Spider-man 2.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Being anti-woke = Racist?

What a nuanced take.
What is even woke in the game? Insomniac must have abandoned reality in favor of their "woke" agenda numerous times in the game for you to have such a strong reaction against it, right?

Can you give 3-4 examples of what Insomniac did that goes against realistic portrayals and is instead clear agenda-based?

Top Bottom