• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Insomniac make a Spider-Verse game?

Should Insomniac make a Spider-Verse game

• Yes, I'd love to see the Spider-Verse in a video game

• Yes, but I'd want it from the point of view of the current game characters

• No, I'd prefer Marvel's Spider-Man 3

• No, I want Insomniac to focus on a non superhero based game

Results are only viewable after voting.
I really think there are people with agendas out here who honestly don't give a shit about Insomniac... their games clearly weren't selling before.

Their best-selling PS3 game sold like 2.5 million copies. Spider-Man sells nearly 10x the amount.

It's a great opportunity for Insomniac to grow in size and scope and they still threw in a Ratchet game in between Spider-Man games.

They've fallen behind Naughty Dog tremendously and outside of Spider-Man, you could argue that they've fallen behind Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games, and even Sucker Punch.

The relationship with Marvel is superbly good for Insomniac. If you want a game that isn't superhero-related, there are also tons of other studios working on non-superhero content.

They've literally made 1.5 superhero games, but apparently, fatigue for them has set in. I didn't hear any of this happening for Rocksteady, I wonder why...

I really think there are people with agendas out here who honestly don't give a shit about Insomniac... their games clearly weren't selling before.

Their best-selling PS3 game sold like 2.5 million copies. Spider-Man sells nearly 10x the amount.

It's a great opportunity for Insomniac to grow in size and scope and they still threw in a Ratchet game in between Spider-Man games.

They've fallen behind Naughty Dog tremendously and outside of Spider-Man, you could argue that they've fallen behind Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games, and even Sucker Punch.

The relationship with Marvel is superbly good for Insomniac. If you want a game that isn't superhero-related, there are also tons of other studios working on non-superhero content.

They've literally made 1.5 superhero games, but apparently, fatigue for them has set in. I didn't hear any of this happening for Rocksteady, I wonder why...

Huh? What!? I'm sorry bro but no, not true. If anything Insomniac have been Sony's stand-out studio so far this gen by a good measure, if we're talking consistency of their output both in quality and quantity.

SSM have only delivered one game so far since 2020; Naughty Dog? One remake, a troubled GaaS Factions 2, and supposedly another remake for a game that released barely more than three years ago. If you're only going by sales numbers than, yes, Insomniac have only somewhat recently joined the 10+ million sellers club those other studios belong to, though I'd argue they and SSM joined that at about the same time, and both sooner than Sucker Punch.

So I really don't understand the idea that Insomniac have fallen behind all of those studios when if anything, their development pipeline model should be serving as an inspiration for some of Sony's other AAA studios, especially those such as Naughty Dog. As for Rocksteady, well have you seen reception to Suicide Squad? It was so bad they delayed that game altogether. And while it wasn't their game, Gotham Knights didn't do so hot, either. I don't honestly know if "superhero fatigue" is real, and even if it were, there could just be specific fatigue with just the films versus the games. I would think any such fatigue is probably with some of the films, because of consistently bad quality from multiple offerings over the past 2+ years. But if that's had any effect on the games, it's minimal, assuming the games themselves are high-quality of course.

Which, Insomniac's have been very consistent at and better than anyone else in the industry ATM, I don't see any reason that won't be continuing.

Huh? What!? I'm sorry bro but no, not true. If anything Insomniac have been Sony's stand-out studio so far this gen by a good measure, if we're talking consistency of their output both in quality and quantity.

SSM have only delivered one game so far since 2020; Naughty Dog? One remake, a troubled GaaS Factions 2, and supposedly another remake for a game that released barely more than three years ago. If you're only going by sales numbers than, yes, Insomniac have only somewhat recently joined the 10+ million sellers club those other studios belong to, though I'd argue they and SSM joined that at about the same time, and both sooner than Sucker Punch.

So I really don't understand the idea that Insomniac have fallen behind all of those studios when if anything, their development pipeline model should be serving as an inspiration for some of Sony's other AAA studios, especially those such as Naughty Dog. As for Rocksteady, well have you seen reception to Suicide Squad? It was so bad they delayed that game altogether. And while it wasn't their game, Gotham Knights didn't do so hot, either. I don't honestly know if "superhero fatigue" is real, and even if it were, there could just be specific fatigue with just the films versus the games. I would think any such fatigue is probably with some of the films, because of consistently bad quality from multiple offerings over the past 2+ years. But if that's had any effect on the games, it's minimal, assuming the games themselves are high-quality of course.

Which, Insomniac's have been very consistent at and better than anyone else in the industry ATM, I don't see any reason that won't be continuing.

I'm talking about before they started making Spider-Man games.

But still they haven't created an original IP that comes anywhere close to the likes of the other studios. Spider-Man games do well, but they can't have as high an operating income as Sony's original IPs. A lot of that money is going to Marvel as well.

Even with the shitty games Rocksteady has released, I don't see as much handwringing for them to make nonbatman games as I do Insomniac who still have only made 1.5 games that have been both well received.

So much for fatigue that the last live-action Spider-Man movie is the highest-grossing spider-man movie of all time and the last animated Spider-Man movie was the highest-grossing animated superhero movie of all time save for incredibles 2

Nvzman

It's funny how you see it as being shoehorned in, but when I ask my nephew who his favorite character is, he says Spider-Man and when I ask for clarification, he makes it clear that his Spider-Man is Miles Morales, not Peter Parker.

Saying Miles is shoehorned into stories, is like saying Robin is shoehorned into Batman stories, but you never hear that...

50 years? Spider-Man was introduced in 1962. Ben Reilly was introduced in 1975 (13 years later). Miguel O'Hara was introduced in 1992 (17 years later). Miles Morales was introduced in 2011 and has become one of the most popular comic book characters in the world.

The idea that they wouldn't use him is a bit absurd.

Can you name a comic book character more popular than Miles Morales created in the last 30 years? But apparently, he is being shoehorned in. Honestly, that is laughable. And it's not just because he is Spider-Man. There have been many characters to take on mantles that flat out fail. Most of them do.

It's not just the movie that has done well, but so has his game. It makes 1000 percent sense to bring him into the MCU and as for shoehorning, they built that out from the very start with Spider-Man Homecoming showing Aaron Davis and mentioning his nephew.

There are a lot of Spider-Man stories to tell, and him mentoring Miles Morales is just as valid as Batman mentoring Dick Grayson (1940), Jason Todd (1983), Tim Drake (1989), and Damian Wayne (1987). Note, that I've never once heard ANYONE suggest these characters were shoehorned in.
... because of the animated movie lol, Miles has an actual personality in the movie that makes him likable.

Miles was widely disliked in the comics and the movie made him fairly popular. Most people had no idea who he even was prior to the movie. Additionally, Ben Reilly/The Clone Saga was very disliked (aside from his first costume) and 2099 was always a minor side-print that was moderately liked but ultimately was too different to ever really be mainstream (until Across came out and completely re-wrote his character). Also allegedly Spider-Man: MM (the game) sold nowhere near as much as the original PS4 game, so he's not quite that popular.

Also Deadpool is only slightly older than 30 years and he's definitely more popular. It's valid that there's more stories to tell, but having literally every adaptation now putting Miles in is getting tiring.

... because of the animated movie lol, Miles has an actual personality in the movie that makes him likable.

Miles was widely disliked in the comics and the movie made him fairly popular. Most people had no idea who he even was prior to the movie. Additionally, Ben Reilly/The Clone Saga was very disliked (aside from his first costume) and 2099 was always a minor side-print that was moderately liked but ultimately was too different to ever really be mainstream (until Across came out and completely re-wrote his character). Also allegedly Spider-Man: MM (the game) sold nowhere near as much as the original PS4 game, so he's not quite that popular.

Also Deadpool is only slightly older than 30 years and he's definitely more popular. It's valid that there's more stories to tell, but having literally every adaptation now putting Miles in is getting tiring.

Because of the animated movie as if that allows you to discount it... as if every animated movie is successful.

Spider-Man Homecoming came out BEFORE the animated movie and they were already laying the groundwork for him (or shoehorning him as you wanted to put it)

Miles Morales featured as a playable character in Marvel's Spider-Man which was released in September of 2018 before the release of the Spider-verse movie in December of 2018.

Into the Spider-Verse wasn't even a massive success either. It grossed 384 million at the box office, almost half of what Across the Spider-verse did.

The Miles Morales game hasn't been out for nearly as long as the original PS4 game, which has not only been out longer but received a remastered version on PS5 and has been out longer on PC. It was also a full-fledged title rather than a side sequel. Yet it's still one of the best-selling superhero games of all time. I don't see any Deadpool game selling nearly as well and one released in 2013 and a port in 2015.

No one said that Miles Morales was more popular than Peter Parker, but he is more popular than any other new character in the last 30 years.

Given that Deadpool has a 20-year headstart on Miles Morales, I'd say his momentum is far greater than Deadpool's and if the MCU does a live-action Miles Morales, I'm pretty sure as long as they don't drop a dud it'll perform better than any of the Deadpool movies have.

Honestly I was a big Spiderman comic fan and whatnot in the 90s but haven't kept up really since then, I had never heard of Miles Morales until I played the Spiderman Ps4 title. I didn't really have any problem with him, but don't like that he's basically the same as Spiderman but "more powerful" and "more powers". He's okay and fairly likeable, but I'd just rather have a Spiderman game with Peter Parker. His sections (in the first game) were just as bad as Mary Jane's, though the actual game Miles Morales was good.

Honestly I was a big Spiderman comic fan and whatnot in the 90s but haven't kept up really since then, I had never heard of Miles Morales until I played the Spiderman Ps4 title. I didn't really have any problem with him, but don't like that he's basically the same as Spiderman but "more powerful" and "more powers". He's okay and fairly likeable, but I'd just rather have a Spiderman game with Peter Parker. His sections (in the first game) were just as bad as Mary Jane's, though the actual game Miles Morales was good.

Miles isn't the same as Spider-Man but more powerful.

Largely, he's another look at Spider-Man as a kid/teenager in a modern era allowing Peter Parker to be displayed as a more mature figure. His childhood is also very different from Peter's with very different background.

Also his sections were much better than MJs, particularly the Rhino section. All of MJs were pretty bad with maybe the exception of the tombstone one.

Peter is stronger than Miles, has better spider sense, and has more experience. Peter is also a super genius. And in the case of Spider-Man 2 the symbiote powers.

Miles isn't the same as Spider-Man but more powerful.

That's not the impression I received from playing the games. He loses a male authority figure, is skilled with technology/gadgets and proceeds to be bit by a spider.. leaving him with all of Spiderman's inherent powers, but yet he has even more with the voltage/electricity situation. There is no ability that Peter has which Miles does not as best I can tell. I'm open to some further explanation... did I miss something?

Also his sections were much better than MJs, particularly the Rhino section. All of MJs were pretty bad with maybe the exception of the tombstone one.

Peter is stronger than Miles, has better spider sense, and has more experience. Peter is also a super genius. And in the case of Spider-Man 2 the symbiote powers.
Well, that's subject to interpretation. I didn't care for his sections or Mary Jane's sections, but I could see how someone might like them better than MJ's. I'd rather neither of those two types be in the game personally. Symbiote is transient and anyone can use that generally speaking, so I wouldn't allocate those powers to "Peter" unless you're just talking about the game. Miles is clearly very bright so aside from experience I wouldn't inherently put him past Peter in that regard. Can you explain the "better Spider sense"? Aside from having used it so long which would be immediate thought. Perhaps Peter is stronger, but that wasn't immediately clear to me in the game. I took it as him learning/growing/developing with his new powers.

That's not the impression I received from playing the games. He loses a male authority figure, is skilled with technology/gadgets and proceeds to be bit by a spider.. leaving him with all of Spiderman's inherent powers, but yet he has even more with the voltage/electricity situation. There is no ability that Peter has which Miles does not as best I can tell. I'm open to some further explanation... did I miss something?

Well, that's subject to interpretation. I didn't care for his sections or Mary Jane's sections, but I could see how someone might like them better than MJ's. I'd rather neither of those two types be in the game personally. Symbiote is transient and anyone can use that generally speaking, so I wouldn't allocate those powers to "Peter" unless you're just talking about the game. Miles is clearly very bright so aside from experience I wouldn't inherently put him past Peter in that regard. Can you explain the "better Spider sense"? Aside from having used it so long which would be immediate thought. Perhaps Peter is stronger, but that wasn't immediately clear to me in the game. I took it as him learning/growing/developing with his new powers.

If you look at JUST the games, Miles loses his dad whereas Peter loses his uncle and his aunt, and presumably still his parents.

Spider-Man Miles Morales comes out after Spider-Man, so obviously gameplay evolves and they're not looking to crimp gameplay, but if you look at just the web blossom which was my favorite movie in Spider-Man that was complete OP and miles has nothing like it.

I agree, I'd rather have neither of those sections, but I think pretty objectively Miles were better. That being said, this was also pre-spider bite.

Saying the symbiote is transient is like saying the spider can bite anyone. The symbiote is on Peter not Miles. You were the one who wanted to limit this to the game. Miles is smart but Peter is a super genius on the level of stark and mr fantastic. He builds most of the tech and gadgets, even the ones that Miles uses.

I'd have to double check the game, but I do believe Miles has a shorter window on his spider-sense.

If you look at JUST the games, Miles loses his dad whereas Peter loses his uncle and his aunt, and presumably still his parents.

Spider-Man Miles Morales comes out after Spider-Man, so obviously gameplay evolves and they're not looking to crimp gameplay, but if you look at just the web blossom which was my favorite movie in Spider-Man that was complete OP and miles has nothing like it.

I agree, I'd rather have neither of those sections, but I think pretty objectively Miles were better. That being said, this was also pre-spider bite.

Saying the symbiote is transient is like saying the spider can bite anyone. The symbiote is on Peter not Miles. You were the one who wanted to limit this to the game. Miles is smart but Peter is a super genius on the level of stark and mr fantastic. He builds most of the tech and gadgets, even the ones that Miles uses.

I'd have to double check the game, but I do believe Miles has a shorter window on his spider-sense.
Well, as I said all of my knowledge of Spiderman comes from late 80s or early 90s comics, so anything that's happened since then in comics, movies, animated, etc I don't have a clue so as previously stated, this is my only exposure to Miles. I wasn't trying to limit it to the games exactly, I just literally have no other info to go on. I can't really comment beyond it, just commenting about how it seemed to me while playing the two games.

The symbiote CAN go to anyone though, it could easily be on Miles in Spiderman 3 or Miles Morales 2 or whatever - that's not really comparable to their inherent powers that permanently exist with them, at best it's a temporary augmentation.

Either way I'm really not looking to argue about this, but it does sound like there are relatively minute differences between them and like I said already, I think he's an okay enough character. I bought Miles Morales immediately after beating Spiderman, but mostly because I really wanted more of that gameplay, I was pretty hooked and loved Spiderman. I didn't think it would be that good. Miles was really good too, just not as good for me personally as it had less things to do overall (collectible, etc). I actually liked all the extra stuff most people probably called "bloat" in Spiderman, like all the photo locations, the hidden photos.. I did allllll that shit and I'll do it again in Spiderman 2! But for a smaller, bite size chunk with slightly improved gameplay mechanics, Miles Morales was well worth what I paid for it IMO. I think the new game is going to be absolutely awesome.

Last edited:
Well, as I said all of my knowledge of Spiderman comes from late 80s or early 90s comics, so anything that's happened since then in comics, movies, animated, etc I don't have a clue so as previously stated, this is my only exposure to Miles. I wasn't trying to limit it to the games exactly, I just literally have no other info to go on. I can't really comment beyond it, just commenting about how it seemed to me while playing the two games.

The symbiote CAN go to anyone though, it could easily be on Miles in Spiderman 3 or Miles Morales 2 or whatever - that's not really comparable to their inherent powers that permanently exist with them, at best it's a temporary augmentation.

Either way I'm really not looking to argue about this, but it does sound like there are relatively minute differences between them and like I said already, I think he's an okay enough character. I bought Miles Morales immediately after beating Spiderman, but mostly because I really wanted more of that gameplay, I was pretty hooked and loved Spiderman. I didn't think it would be that good. Miles was really good too, just not as good for me personally as it had less things to do overall (collectible, etc). I actually liked all the extra stuff most people probably called "bloat" in Spiderman, like all the photo locations, the hidden photos.. I did allllll that shit and I'll do it again in Spiderman 2! But for a smaller, bite size chunk with slightly improved gameplay mechanics, Miles Morales was well worth what I paid for it IMO. I think the new game is going to be absolutely awesome.

Expanding it outside the games, I'd say Miles and Peter are even more different. You should watch the Spider-Verse movies, they're excellent.

The symbiote CAN go to anyone, but it has never gone to Miles, also the symbiote augments their latent powers, for which Peter is superior.

There are more differences between Peter Parker and Miles Morales than there are Superman and Supergirl. Seems like you just don't want to hear it.

Peter is significantly stronger than Miles, knows martial arts, is a super genius, crafts his own gadgets, has lost basically everyone in his life parents, aunt, uncle, first girlfriend. Has the stronger spider-sense.

Miles can turn invisible and has the venom strike, that's about it...

kiphalfton

Stop? Passing the torch in superhero comics have been a thing since Hal Jordan became the 2nd Green Lantern and Barry Allen became the 2nd Flash in the 50’s. The multi-verse has also been a thing for a very long time. Miles wasn’t even the first alternate Spidey, there was Ben Reilly and Miguel O’Hara who have been a thing since the 90’s.

I’d rather the adaptations stay true to the comics and all their elements rather than hand pick them due to non readers being less familiar with them.

"Who is Spider-Man"

Nobody is going to say Ben Reilly or Miguel O'Hara, unless you get a pedantic person who pushes their glasses up and says "depends on which universe you're talking about". The answer is going to be a resounding "Peter Parker".

Same for if you ask who the following characters are most iconically associated with:

- Eddie Brock is Venom (not some other iteration of venom, such as Flash Thompson's Agent Venom)
- Norman Osborn is Green Goblin (not Harry Osborn)
- etc.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How about making different game other than Marvel crap?
im-just-sayin-christian-siriano.gif

Need to go to a ‘verse that has a sexy version of Ratchet. Give that wombat some high heels and lipstick.
Like bugs bunny cross dressing. It made Wayne and Garth laugh.

I'm talking about before they started making Spider-Man games.

But still they haven't created an original IP that comes anywhere close to the likes of the other studios. Spider-Man games do well, but they can't have as high an operating income as Sony's original IPs. A lot of that money is going to Marvel as well.

Not really. Sony pay for the Spiderman license upfront, it's not a revenue-sharing model if that's what you're thinking. That's how it works with all these companies that make superhero games IIRC; upfront payment for the license to use the property, and in return they keep all the revenue and profit from the game itself (outside of retailer cuts, platform holder cuts, etc.).

Even with the shitty games Rocksteady has released, I don't see as much handwringing for them to make nonbatman games as I do Insomniac who still have only made 1.5 games that have been both well received.

Kinda feels like you're looking at Insomniac's history very narrowly. The R&C games have always been pretty well-received, they became a big part of PS's brand image in the 2000s. Sunset Overdrive was also well-received, it's one of the reasons some want to see a sequel.

Until Spiderman it's fair to say Insomniac's games weren't massive sellers, but that doesn't mean they didn't make great games.

So much for fatigue that the last live-action Spider-Man movie is the highest-grossing spider-man movie of all time and the last animated Spider-Man movie was the highest-grossing animated superhero movie of all time save for incredibles 2

Well, this is what I've been wondering about when it comes to 'superhero fatigue'. How true is it actually? How much for movies & TV versus games, and so on. No Way Home was a generally well-written and directed film and had strong cameos, one of the few bright spots for the MCU post-Phase 3. Spiderverse 2 was also a well-written and directed film, and might be considered its own thing, not necessarily tied to the MCU.

I really think 'superhero fatigue', if it exists, has only set in for the main MCU and DCU projects following some pretty bad content after the end of Phase 3, excusing a few decent/solid efforts here and there. Like for example, there isn't a lot of hype for The Marvels from lots of spaces that were into Phase 1-3 stuff or the earlier Phase 4 content (2020 - 2022). The Flash didn't do so hot at the box office, same with Blue Beetle, and Secret Invasion was a farce and a joke.

But the games...well, Insomniac's games, have been consistent in high quality and Spiderman himself is a big enough IP to where I feel many can view it as its own thing, not tied specifically to the MCU all the time. Can't say the same for non-Insomniac superhero games between Avengers, Gotham Knights, and (likely) Suicide Squad.

Not really. Sony pay for the Spiderman license upfront, it's not a revenue-sharing model if that's what you're thinking. That's how it works with all these companies that make superhero games IIRC; upfront payment for the license to use the property, and in return they keep all the revenue and profit from the game itself (outside of retailer cuts, platform holder cuts, etc.).

Kinda feels like you're looking at Insomniac's history very narrowly. The R&C games have always been pretty well-received, they became a big part of PS's brand image in the 2000s. Sunset Overdrive was also well-received, it's one of the reasons some want to see a sequel.

Until Spiderman it's fair to say Insomniac's games weren't massive sellers, but that doesn't mean they didn't make great games.

Well, this is what I've been wondering about when it comes to 'superhero fatigue'. How true is it actually? How much for movies & TV versus games, and so on. No Way Home was a generally well-written and directed film and had strong cameos, one of the few bright spots for the MCU post-Phase 3. Spiderverse 2 was also a well-written and directed film, and might be considered its own thing, not necessarily tied to the MCU.

I really think 'superhero fatigue', if it exists, has only set in for the main MCU and DCU projects following some pretty bad content after the end of Phase 3, excusing a few decent/solid efforts here and there. Like for example, there isn't a lot of hype for The Marvels from lots of spaces that were into Phase 1-3 stuff or the earlier Phase 4 content (2020 - 2022). The Flash didn't do so hot at the box office, same with Blue Beetle, and Secret Invasion was a farce and a joke.

But the games...well, Insomniac's games, have been consistent in high quality and Spiderman himself is a big enough IP to where I feel many can view it as its own thing, not tied specifically to the MCU all the time. Can't say the same for non-Insomniac superhero games between Avengers, Gotham Knights, and (likely) Suicide Squad.

We have zero details on the arrangement between SIE and Marvel for Spider-Man. None. And regardless of that, that still reduces the operating income of the game...

Their games are well-received, but they aren't blockbuster games. Uncharted is a blockbuster. The Last of Us is a blockbuster. God of War is a blockbuster. Insomniac doesn't have an original IP that has sold better than either Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima. Hell they haven't produced an original IP more successful than Infamous Second Son, Days Gone, or Detroit Become Human.

Ultimately, there is a reason why they sold for 229 million rather than 1-2 billion.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Arkham Asylum was released in 2009 and Arkham Knight in 2015. You had three Batman movies. The Spider-Man games were released between 2018-2020, the absolute peak of the MCU with Infinity War, Endgame, and Black Panther, the former two in which Spider-Man also appears in. Then there were also five additional Spider-Man movies and tons of other superhero movies in-between. The superhero fatigue had not yet set in back in the heyday of the Arkham games.

The amount of milking being done in 2009-2015 doesn't compare to 2018-present.

Arkham Asylum was released in 2009 and Arkham Knight in 2015. You had three Batman movies. The Spider-Man games were released between 2018-2020, the absolute peak of the MCU with Infinity War, Endgame, and Black Panther, the former two in which Spider-Man also appears in. Then there were also five additional Spider-Man movies and tons of other superhero movies in-between. The superhero fatigue had not yet set in back in the heyday of the Arkham games.

The amount of milking being done in 2009-2015 doesn't compare to 2018-present.

Again, not sure what fatigue you think there is, but Spider-Man has never been more popular.

Even in the early 2000s when his movies were far and away more successful, the games just weren't consistently good.

Insomniac has made two of the best superhero video games to date, and it looks like Spider-Man 2 is going to be a runaway hit. So again, not sure what fatigue you think has set in.

You might personally be tired of the games (though again, I think that has more to do with ulterior motives than anything else) but that doesn't mean the market is.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Again, not sure what fatigue you think there is, but Spider-Man has never been more popular.
Which is one more reason to be tired of him, not one less. You really can't see why some of us might be tired of seeing Spider-Man when over the past 5 years, he's appeared in no less than 7 movies and 1.5 games, about to be 2.5? Compare that to the Arkham series which only had three movies and wasn't part of the most milked universe in history.
Even in the early 2000s when his movies were far and away more successful, the games just weren't consistently good.

Insomniac has made two of the best superhero video games to date, and it looks like Spider-Man 2 is going to be a runaway hit. So again, not sure what fatigue you think has set in.
The Spider-Man games are mediocre Ubisoft clones, nothing else. The only good thing they have going for them is the traversal. Go there, fight this guy, complete this objective, collect backpacks for upgrades, climb towers and reveal the map, radiant side objectives that are always stop these thugs or neutralize this drug deal etc. And the combat system is a blatant rip-off too. As you said, the past games were never consistently good so the fact that they're "among the best superhero video games to date," means jack since most superhero games are shit.
You might personally be tired of the games (though again, I think that has more to do with ulterior motives than anything else) but that doesn't mean the market is.
Nah, just tired of Spider-Man in general. Seen in face enough and would rather have a gritty superhero game, not the MCU wisecracking shit we've been getting for over a decade (and I know that's Spidey's natural persona). Wish we could get something like Blade, Deathstroke, or Punisher. I also really enjoyed the Spider-Verse movies but not a big fan of the ten billion Spideys and multiverse shit.

And what do you even mean by "ulterior motives,"?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Miles and Peter in the same game is close enough to Spider-Verse, imo. I wouldn't want so many potential protagonist characters to dilute the story.

We have zero details on the arrangement between SIE and Marvel for Spider-Man. None. And regardless of that, that still reduces the operating income of the game...

Their games are well-received, but they aren't blockbuster games. Uncharted is a blockbuster. The Last of Us is a blockbuster. God of War is a blockbuster. Insomniac doesn't have an original IP that has sold better than either Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima. Hell they haven't produced an original IP more successful than Infamous Second Son, Days Gone, or Detroit Become Human.

Ultimately, there is a reason why they sold for 229 million rather than 1-2 billion.

And yet they have been carrying Sony so far this generation in terms of new PS5-centric 1P gaming experiences. Ultimately we don't know why they "only" sold for $229 million. Them being a developer and not a publishing arm is certainly one reason. Them not having a mega-breakout hit attached to their name (in terms of an IP they 100% own), as you were suggesting, is probably a factor into that selling price as well.

But for me, their worth isn't just in how many copies of a game they've sold; stuff like R&C offer great variety that complements the rest of Sony's 1P offerings. That has a great amount of value which can't be measured in just copies of a game sold or revenue generated, and Sony understand this. It's why they purchased them.

And yet they have been carrying Sony so far this generation in terms of new PS5-centric 1P gaming experiences. Ultimately we don't know why they "only" sold for $229 million. Them being a developer and not a publishing arm is certainly one reason. Them not having a mega-breakout hit attached to their name (in terms of an IP they 100% own), as you were suggesting, is probably a factor into that selling price as well.

But for me, their worth isn't just in how many copies of a game they've sold; stuff like R&C offer great variety that complements the rest of Sony's 1P offerings. That has a great amount of value which can't be measured in just copies of a game sold or revenue generated, and Sony understand this. It's why they purchased them.

I'd say that Sucker Punch and Ghost offers just as much if not more variety than Uncharted but also sold copies.

Marvel could decide to not work with Sony tomorrow and that's the end of Spider-Man and Insomniac. Maybe they decide they want to roll the dice and get on Xbox and Switch next and think there is a template now that Insomniac has created one.

Maybe they decide to publish the game themselves.

Ultimately Insomniac doesn't hold the IP so not only does it not make as much money as an original IP would, but there is a risk in renegotiation to make even less or not be able to negotiate a new deal at all.

People on this board like to elevate Insomniac at a higher level, but they've not been successful in creating an IP since Spyro. Naughty Dog has created Crash, Jak, Uncharted, and the Last of Us. They've really never missed with the exception of Jak declining in popularity.

Even Sucker Punch has two franchises with individual titles that have sold over 6 million copies.

When graded upon that scale, Insomniac is pretty mid-tier. They've held up the PS5 pretty well, but again with IP that they don't own or control. That's not necessarily sustainable.

I'll say the Spider-verse movies are 1000 percent better written. I mean it's easier to make a 2 hour movie than write a captivating 15 hour game, but there is no doubt that Spider-verse is a more compelling story and a much more interesting Miles Morales.

Please, can we stop with all the different universe cross overs? It was cool in the animated movies, but there are so many other Marvel characters that are deserving of the Insomniac treatment. I'd personally like to see their take on a general audiences X-Men after Wolverine, as well as M-rated Deadpool and X-Force.

Looks like another version of New York City is our only way of getting out of having the next game set in New York City.
Sadly, Marvel is very NYC dependent due to most of its original creators being from that area. Here's what I could come up with as to characters and locations that are not NYC, but are still in keeping with the characters.

1. Gambit from the X-Men in New Orleans or Paris.
2. Wolverine could be set in Madripoor or Japan.
3. X-Men in Muir Island, Australia, or San Francisco.
3. Alpha Flight in Canada.
4. Black Widow in Russia.
5. Moon Knight in Egypt.
6. Cable or Bishop from the X-men in a post-Apocalyptic future.

Top Bottom