• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Wolverine aims to achieve Hellblade II levels of graphics

They have a long way to go considering how Spider-Man 2 looks like a PS4 game with Ray tracing. Also whatever this thing is.
lmC0jnW.jpg

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It's like people are forgetting about the jump from Spiderman 1 to 2 because Wolverine would need a massive jump in comparison to reach Hellblade levels. I wouldn't expect it when you'll be moving around much quicker and presumably fighting more enemies in city environments. If they pull it off, that would be nuts and kind of embarrassing for Ninja Theory.

Zuzu

Not to mention they are idiotically targeting 60 fps whereas hellblade is 30 fps. they have 2x more gpu power available to make senua look next gen whereas insomniac are handicapping themselves by going with a default 60 fps mode according to the leaks. they dont even want to commit to a 30 fps mode.

Oh ok, yeah then they’re definitely not gonna match Hellblade overall if 60fps is their default mode.

Last edited:
Release date Hellblade 2 will also look better than what has been shown from current build, both are still a while away. Wolverine will easily compete with current Hellblade 2 but remains to be seen how it will stack up to the finished Hellblade 2 in sheer visual fidelity specially if they opt for semi open traversable environments rather than the narrower scope of hellblade (assuming it is structured like the 1st one). I dare say most games releasing at that time will square up quite well against each other and art direction rarther than tech will determine which one "looks" better. Beyond that, ND's next game and Fable will outshine those, that will be the battle of two of the best art teams in the industry imo. Its not the bullet its the sniper...
It won't, the character rendering and animation in HB2 is levels above anything else we've seen and a generation above anything insomniac has done. They may be able to get closer with the environments but without the realistic character models it won't look anywhere near as good.

By all means, all of them (who have the budget and time) should be striving for top-tier presentation.
I rather would like to see these developers with the budget and time striving for top-tier fun and gameplay instead. You should try to play some ps2 titles now and physics and ai in a lot of those games are actually surpassing modern titles, and also, they’re fun, not chores. Also, no MTX and no pay to win mechanics, no season passes no bullshit.

Godot25

Banned
They dont give 2 shits if the PC port runs well and that not even to mention there are mor RTX3080s out there than XSS.
Yeah. With ballooning budgets I'm sure they don't give shit about PC port.

It's more likely they care about PC port and also for optimisation of said port so game could be played by as big audience as they can support.

MarkMe2525

Hellblade 2 is probably still aiming for Hellblade 2 graphics. I hope it turns out as great looking as it looked in the trailers, but downgrades are the norm.

Zathalus

It's not an open world game so why compare it to Spider-Man 2? Did everyone forget how incredible Ratchet & Clank looked? I'm sure Wolverine is going to look amazing.

CGNoire

Yeah. With ballooning budgets I'm sure they don't give shit about PC port.

It's more likely they care about PC port and also for optimisation of said port so game could be played by as big audience as they can support.
I Would agree that the main reason by far for these next gen games to be held back visualy is Budget and not really a lack of skill or power of the target console.

Hugare

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Judging from the leaked gameplay, well ... Try harder

Insomniac makes games with stylised graphics. They would have to do a 180° to change this. Wont be easy.

Melfice7

Post processing effects: the game, should not be the goal for anything.

Also anytime Insomniac goes for a more realistic look it ends up looking average

DJ12

So even Sony first party is impressed and scared of Hellblade 2 visual fidelity, only Sony GAF is not impressed. Angst seems to be settling in now that ABK deal went through and GAME PASS is paving the way into the future.
At this point Microsoft want hellblade 2 to look like hellblade 2 reveal also.

But you do you warrior.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They have a long way to go considering how Spider-Man 2 looks like a PS4 game with Ray tracing. Also whatever this thing is.
lmC0jnW.jpg

To be honest, the level of fidelity isn't that much different to Hellblade. Its just that NT's game uses every artistic trick in the book to carry off the illusion as seamlessly as possible. You can hide a lot of imperfections and CG-"tells" with things like face-paint and careful lighting.

Same principle applies to titles like Gran Turismo; that series always punched above its weight because of how the cars were very carefully lit, even back in PS2 days when modern shading/lighting techniques weren't yet an option.

hinch7

Considering how HB2's levels are (from what we've seen thus far) and how little there is going on in one given scene.. I doubt that. At least during proper gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom