• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Marvel Spiderman 2 and Wolverine State Of Play

bitbydeath

No Way Meme GIF
giphy.gif

Wolverine (at least in part) seems to be set in Madripoor, not in New York City so why would it have the same street signs etc. and I seriously doubt they'd use the same NPC's also (clothing wouldn't look right). I honestly cant see them reusing any assets at all.

It doesn't need to be set in the same place to re-utilize the assets. Do you think that they make hundreds of street signs, or once, and then generate the names of the streets en masse?

Not difficult to generate different clothing on NPCs either.

It's why Insomniac uses enemies without faces in their games, it's easier to produce them at scale.

midnightAI

It doesn't need to be set in the same place to re-utilize the assets. Do you think that they make hundreds of street signs, or once, and then generate the names of the streets en masse?

Not difficult to generate different clothing on NPCs either.

It's why Insomniac uses enemies without faces in their games, it's easier to produce them at scale.
For the same game, sure, you reuse the same asset over and over, for sequels, yeh, you may do the same depending on the previous assets. But for completely different games set in completely different places (in this case completely different continents and most likely different time frame) with completely different protagonist and villains then there wont be too much reuse.

Last edited:
Nah I remember being told it was June then July then finally August.

At least now they are being realistic and realizing that only Spiderman and Wolverine are in a state that can be shown. Glad to see even rumors dismiss the nonsense WE HAVE 25 NEW GAMES in DEV talk from Sony studios.

Why would it be nonsense that they have that many games in production? From leaks we can pretty much name most of them.

These two points aren’t mutually exclusive

And no one really knows what they would have ready. No one knew Sony and team ninja were making a game before they showed us.

Shit, there are people on this same forum there were certain ragnarok wasn’t coming out this year as of last month

Last edited:
For the same game, sure, you reuse the same asset over and over, for sequels, yeh, you may do the same depending on the previous assets. But for completely different games set in completely different places (in this case completely different continents and most likely different time frame) with completely different protagonist and villains then there wont be too much reuse.
Clear you don't know how games are made and how the assets are made to scale. I recommend watching some of insomniac's tech talks.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So Insomniac is the only major Sony studio that can make PS5 exclusives and they are going to show of 2 more? Why does the rest of Sony suck so bad in comparison? ( I kind of don't believe it)
They dont suck. They were all just making last gen games in 2022, and contrary to popular belief, these studios are clearly not two team studios like Insomniac. If GG, SSM and ND have just released a game in 2022, their next game is years away.

Bend and Kojima were due, but Bend had that whole issue with DG2 getting cancelled after a 6 month pitch then they wasted over a year on Uncharted before moving to their new IP in April of last year. Poorly managed. Had they began immediately on DG2, they wouldve had something to show. No idea wtf happened with Kojima. Usually very productive but he was out shopping his games to Stadia and Microsoft so maybe Sony didnt greenlight DS2 immediately.

Sucker Punch shouldve had at least a teaser ready by now but they wasted a year on last gen DLC. So again, poor management by Herman. Replace him with Ted Price who actually knows how to make his studios productive.

Last edited:

vivftp

They dont suck. They were all just making last gen games in 2022, and contrary to popular belief, these studios are clearly not two team studios like Insomniac. If GG, SSM and ND have just released a game in 2022, their next game is years away.

Bend and Kojima were due, but Bend had that whole issue with DG2 getting cancelled after a 6 month pitch then they wasted over a year on Uncharted before moving to their new IP in April of last year. Poorly managed. Had they began immediately on DG2, they wouldve had something to show. No idea wtf happened with Kojima. Usually very productive but he was out shopping his games to Stadia and Microsoft so maybe Sony didnt greenlight DS2 immediately.

Sucker Punch shouldve had at least a teaser ready by now but they wasted a year on last gen DLC. So again, poor management by Herman. Replace him with Ted Price who actually knows how to make his studios productive.

lol, I always love reading these fantastical and imaginative posts, Slimy 😄

this is so incredibly inaccurate lol

none of those studios spent additional years on DLC or as support studios, they allocate a small number of devs for those things. Days Gone 2 never got cancelled, it was never even started it got pitched and rejected by the management at Bend.

its highly likely that most of those other studios would have a good amount of production done on their next games by now, that they could tease or show a slice of it for 2024. Naughty Dog is confirmed to be working on two games, Factions and the other new game, we know SMS is working on Corys game, we know Suckerpunch has been working on Tsushima 2.

almost evey SIE studio right now had a game deep in production or multiple.

midnightAI

Clear you don't know how games are made and how the assets are made to scale. I recommend watching some of insomniac's tech talks.
So, how many assets do you think are used between Infamous Second Son and Ghost of Tsushima? How about between Uncharted 4 and Last of Us 2? does Ratchet and Clank reuse assets from Spiderman also?

Same devs, same engines, different games, unlikely to reuse (many) assets

And in case you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic about how I don't know how games are made

So, how many assets do you think are used between Infamous Second Son and Ghost of Tsushima? How about between Uncharted 4 and Last of Us 2? does Ratchet and Clank reuse assets from Spiderman also?

Same devs, same engines, different games, unlikely to reuse (many) assets

And in case you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic about how I don't know how games are made

Probably not a lot from Second Son and Tsushima but I'm sure a ton of assets were reused across Uncharted 4 and Last of Us 2.

Ratchet Rift Apart probably utilizes a lot of assets from Ratchet PS4.

You might have been being sarcastic, but you've revealed that you don't know a lot, so I gave you a like anyways

midnightAI

Probably not a lot from Second Son and Tsushima but I'm sure a ton of assets were reused across Uncharted 4 and Last of Us 2.

Ratchet Rift Apart probably utilizes a lot of assets from Ratchet PS4.

You might have been being sarcastic, but you've revealed that you don't know a lot, so I gave you a like anyways
So no reuse from Second Son to Tsushima
You guess there is reuse from Uncharted to Last of Us 2... Did you know they didn't even reuse (many?) assets from Uncharted 4 to Lost Legacy?
And you didn't answer from Ratchet to Spiderman, but I'll assume you agree it doesn't

These are all huge Devs, they have massive amounts of staff, are very well funded and also outsource a lot of work, they don't need to reuse assets. The only reason these Devs do that is when it's within the same franchise. Wolverine looks to be set in Madripoor, Asia. Spiderman 2 is in New York, they both have their own budgets, there is no need for them to reuse assets.

But, you know, apparently I don't know a lot, so....

So no reuse from Second Son to Tsushima
You guess there is reuse from Uncharted to Last of Us 2... Did you know they didn't even reuse (many?) assets from Uncharted 4 to Lost Legacy?
And you didn't answer from Ratchet to Spiderman, but I'll assume you agree it doesn't

These are all huge Devs, they have massive amounts of staff, are very well funded and also outsource a lot of work, they don't need to reuse assets. The only reason these Devs do that is when it's within the same franchise. Wolverine looks to be set in Madripoor, Asia. Spiderman 2 is in New York, they both have their own budgets, there is no need for them to reuse assets.

But, you know, apparently I don't know a lot, so....

You assume the budgets are bigger than they are. There is a reason Sony has basically gone cheap with Miles Morales, Ragnarok, Forbidden West, and even GT7.

They are trying to maximize the investments they've already made and see if gamers care about the reused resources.

You have no idea where Wolverine takes place, that's a huge assumption, based on a 5-second teaser that might not even be in the game.

But if you can play Spider-Man, Spider-Man Remastered, and Miles Morales, and not see where Insomniac cut corners on assets and not realize they're going to do the same with Spider-Man and Wolverine, you have another thing coming.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Lmao this is literally just some random guy on twitter. Sony will show up at the the game awards in december and thats it. nothing else. they're not even doing a state of play for god of war.

you forgot the most important game

what game is this?

Last edited:

midnightAI

You assume the budgets are bigger than they are. There is a reason Sony has basically gone cheap with Miles Morales, Ragnarok, Forbidden West, and even GT7.

They are trying to maximize the investments they've already made and see if gamers care about the reused resources.

You have no idea where Wolverine takes place, that's a huge assumption, based on a 5-second teaser that might not even be in the game.

But if you can play Spider-Man, Spider-Man Remastered, and Miles Morales, and not see where Insomniac cut corners on assets and not realize they're going to do the same with Spider-Man and Wolverine, you have another thing coming.
And I'm the one making assumptions?

Miles Morales of course will reuse assets from Spider Man as will the remaster, as 'may' Spider Man 2 it's the same city after all and also they wanted to get Miles and the remaster out for PS5 launch
Ragnarok will use some assets from God of War 2018
Forbidden West, there may be some reuse there but again, follow up to Horizon Zero Dawn
GT7, of course, the cars are make once very high poly, that's a known fact, but still, GT game to GT game

All the games you mention are sequels to existing games, like I said, a lot of this is done for consistency.

True, we don't know where Wolverine is set for sure, but that teaser trailer was done for a reason, it's set in The Princess Bar, Madripoor, Asia, a fan favourite. That trailer is not set in New York. (My guess is Joe Fixit will be in the game also aka Hulk)

Don't assume I know nothing about game dev

Elios83

It makes zero sense.
But we should get a new FFXVI trailer soon, then it's about God of War and I could see Sony and Kojima giving Jeoff a new Spiderman 2 trailer and the Death Stranding 2 world premiere for TGA.
I don't expect anything more this year.

Last edited:
i will not officially give up hope until i see where the FFXVI trailer appear this month.

I don’t imagine square enix dropping it on youtube randomly and I doubt they will have a showcase of their own. This upcoming week has to be it as far as announcements for the month go, same applies to the resident evil showcase

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Got me thinking, what if they drop a state of play / Showcase on November 9th, the day Ragnarok releases?

They could include a 'critics reception trailer' with all the 5 stars and 10/10 quotes it's bound to get, remind everyone the game is out now, show off the PS5 bundle that includes the game.

JimRyanGOAT

Why cant Sony just have one big ass showcase?

Instead of splitting all their big games into mini showcases

Doesn't feel as grandoise

3liteDragon

I don't buy this, better to have that fucking showcase already. Also, I don't know why people are expecting a look at Wolverine this year, that game's coming late 2024/25. They're not gonna show anything for that game until at least fall 2023.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't buy this, better to have that fucking showcase already. Also, I don't know why people are expecting a look at Wolverine this year, that game's coming late 2024/25. They're not gonna show anything for that game until at least fall 2023.
Sony showed a realtime teaser for Spiderman 2 years before launch. They will do the same for Wolverine this year. Expect one environment and some cutscene just like the Spiderman teaser.

Spiderman 2 should get a gameplay reveal trailer.

jzosa

Nah I remember being told it was June then July then finally August.

At least now they are being realistic and realizing that only Spiderman and Wolverine are in a state that can be shown. Glad to see even rumors dismiss the nonsense WE HAVE 25 NEW GAMES in DEV talk from Sony studios.
Who’s they? Sony ever said anything?

Man we got proof that only these two games are in a state that can be shown? Just because they haven’t shown their full hand doesn’t mean what they said before is non-sense. I don’t see why Sony should be doubted since they have delivered so far this gen.

Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of absence.

But if you wanna call their official statement nonsense and choose to believe some random twitter user, then okay I guess.

Top Bottom