• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Marvel Spiderman 2 and Wolverine State Of Play

‘…and that’s it. We hope you enjoyed our little sneak peek of what’s to come and see you next time!’
(After showing 18 minutes of nothing interesting)
i agree the state of plays are not hype at all but I disagree that they’re not actually showing anything intersting. Last one we got Tekken 8, Ishin, Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin, God of War thats a lot of good stuff. Even that indie car game looked interesting, especially if it ends up on ps plus.

The one before that was SF5 gameplay reveal, RE4R announcement, FFXVI trailer, some actual hype VR teasers, etc.

Give me a 20 minute state of play with big first party and 3rd party exclusives (and some psvr and good looking indies) and I’ll be very happy. I dont really care how they package it as long as I get spider-man 2 trailer and a few new announcements or release dates

Last edited:
i agree the state of plays are not hype at all but I disagree that they’re not actually showing anything intersting. Last one we got Tekken 8, Ishin, Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin, God of War thats a lot of good stuff. Even that indie car game looked interesting, especially if it ends up on ps plus.

The one before that was SF5 gameplay reveal, RE4R announcement, FFXVI trailer, some actual hype VR teasers, etc.

Give me a 20 minute state of play with big first party and 3rd party exclusives (and some psvr and good looking indies) and I’ll be very happy. I dont really care how they package it as long as I get spider-man 2 trailer and a few new announcements or release dates
Kinda agree with you. Most of the time they are not that bad actually. It’s more the length that makes them hard to get real excited for.

Weird logic.

It's Insomniac that got robbed despite their talent.

In case of Gamepass, it's MS that's getting robbed and even they don't care about it. So that's fine.

Well Sony did buy Insomniac at a great price. Look at the last games they made in would say it was worth it. Played both of those games and they definitely are quality titles.

Well Sony did buy Insomniac at a great price. Look at the last games they made in would say it was worth it. Played both of those games and they definitely are quality titles.

Sony should've paid way more. It's a good deal for Sony but bad deal for Insomniac.

Sets a bad precedent. What is the point of busting your ass as developers if you get bare minimum?

Sony should've paid way more. It's a good deal for Sony but bad deal for Insomniac.

Sets a bad precedent. What is the point of busting your ass as developers if you get bare minimum?

It actually was a really good deal for Insomniac especially with the way Sony is treating.

You should really learn to show Insomniac some respect. I know you really hate them but they make fantastic games.

Look at it this way. Insomniac being bought by Sony did alleviate them of many stresses. Like for example they don't have to worry about looking for a publisher anymore. Or the fact that Sony gives them creative freedom and let them pick the IPs that they work with. Finally Sony is funding them so that's a load off their minds.

Remember they chose to sell to Sony and it definitely wasn't a hostile takeover. They agreed to those terms because it's very beneficial to them to be part of PlayStation Studios.

Last edited:
It actually was a really good deal for Insomniac especially with the way Sony is treating.

You should really learn to show Insomniac some respect. I know you really hate them but they make fantastic games.

Look at it this way. Insomniac being bought by Sony did alleviate them of many stresses. Like for example they don't have to worry about looking for a publisher anymore. Or the fact that Sony gives them creative freedom and let them pick the IPs that they work with. Finally Sony is funding them so that's a load off their minds.

Remember they chose to sell to Sony and it definitely wasn't a hostile takeover. They agreed to those terms because it's very beneficial to them to be part of PlayStation Studios.

Where did I said I hate Insomniac?

LMAO.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ugh why can’t Sony just do a ps event similar to September 2021 rather than these state of plays. The robotic female voice over in state of plays lacks real excitement
Likely because jim ryan wants to do the opposite of what shawn layden did.I loved ps4 era presentations, but they basically announced the consoles entire exclusive line up within 3 years. I think jim ryan, and sony as a whole, instead wants to hold announcements closer to the chest, only focusing on games that are coming in the immediate future (12 months or so). Especially if these studios are really only capable of one new game per generation now, due to the cost and time needed for development. Like, for example, we likely know microsofts line up for the rest of the generation outside of a few studios, because those projects were announced so early.

Not saying i like the modern Sony method of presentations/announcements, but im trying to rationalize why it is the way it is.

vivftp

Likely because jim ryan wants to do the opposite of what shawn layden did.I loved ps4 era presentations, but they basically announced the consoles entire exclusive line up within 3 years. I think jim ryan, and sony as a whole, instead wants to hold announcements closer to the chest, only focusing on games that are coming in the immediate future (12 months or so). Especially if these studios are really only capable of one new game per generation now, due to the cost and time needed for development. Like, for example, we likely know microsofts line up for the rest of the generation outside of a few studios, because those projects were announced so early.

Not saying i like the modern Sony method of presentations/announcements, but im trying to rationalize why it is the way it is.

I agree that Sony likely doesn't want to "blow their load" like they did back in 2016 where they announced practically everything they had left to come for the rest of the gen. I do think folks need to remember the pandemic effect and how that would've changed their plans though. Almost all the games we got this year from SIE were supposed to release last year. That means at the September 2021 showcase we were supposed to actually get the lineup of games that were originally slated for a 2022 release, but of course we didn't get that. Everything got backed up, from games releases to game announcements to console production. They COULD have announced tons of games last year, but they wouldn't have moved a single extra console because they were already selling every single one they made within minutes. It would've been wasted marketing by announcing a bunch of extra games so early.

We're only now at a point where console production is really starting to get back on track, meaning we're approaching the point where they'll want to begin marketing their next wave of games because they'll actually have stock to move. I still think it'll happen in October, but even if it comes later this year, or even early next year, a showcase will happen.

As for studio output, many of SIE's bigger studios are now multi-project (Bungie, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Firesprite), meaning they're working on more than 1 game at a time. All of them will be releasing multiple games this gen.

Well, as someone who went through hype for:
Half Life 3
Duke Nukem forever
And waited to play the Last Guardian on my PS3....

I can attest that from the player's perspective this is not always good to know long in advance (or follow rumors in the case of hl3).

Insomniac was in pretty rough shape. From around 2011 their games were absolutely not performing well. They tried to strike it out on their own working with different publishers and that was not very fruitful.

My guess is the company took on quite a bit of debt between 2011 and 2017 and Sony not only bought them, but took on their debt as well.

Immediately upon working with Sony again, new avenues opened up for them and they're basically back on top of the industry again.

I mean they could have been purchased by Marvel, but not sure that relationship would have been fostered without Sony. They're in an interesting place where they can sustainably grow, but also need to diversify their portfolio so they aren't just reliant on the relationship with Marvel. Wolverine is actually a very risky game for them.

But I'd say it's time for them to close out the Ratchet franchise or hand it over to a different studio maybe with some guidance, and start doing at least 1 original IP for every marvel game they make.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

Why do you care whether its a bad deal for Imsomniac or not o_O? what a weird reply.....

vivftp

Insomniac is a talented studio with great work ethic, but they didn't own any notable IP of their own. A lot of acquisition prices get inflated because of valuable IP being purchased in addition to the rest of the studio.

You have no basis to claim it's a bad deal for Insomniac or that it sets a bad precedent.

yurinka

It would be awesome, but I think that this random and unknown Twitter user is wrong.

Insomniac is a talented studio with great work ethic, but they didn't own any notable IP of their own. A lot of acquisition prices get inflated because of valuable IP being purchased in addition to the rest of the studio.

You have no basis to claim it's a bad deal for Insomniac or that it sets a bad precedent.
In addition to this, we have to remember that even if before the acquisition they had released many games with good sales and reviews, their first mega hit was Spider-Man, after the acquisition.

The pricing back then was ok.

Nah I remember being told it was June then July then finally August.

At least now they are being realistic and realizing that only Spiderman and Wolverine are in a state that can be shown. Glad to see even rumors dismiss the nonsense WE HAVE 25 NEW GAMES in DEV talk from Sony studios.
The nonsense is to believe that a random tweet from an unknown user like the one posted in the OP is telling the thruth and that the head of PS Studios lies when mentioning the amount of projects they have under development.

Hermen said they had around 25 projects in different stages of development. Some like GoWR or PSVR2 launch window games are close to be released. Other ones like Spider-Man 2, TLOU Factions or Wolverine (or the Firewalk/Haven/Deviation new IPs) still need more work, others are in post launch support (released GaaS like GT7, MLB, Dreams) and other ones are still in early stages of development (like the new IPs from Bend or Housemarque).

Last edited:

Bungie was paid 3.5 billion.

I doubt Destiny would be worth that much.

Both studios make same caliber games in different genres I would say.

Insomniac was definitely short changed imo, especially when you take Bungie deal into account.

vivftp

Insomniac was definitely short changed imo, especially when you take Bungie deal into account.

1) You underestimate the value of IP. Destiny's a massive IP that has a ton of potential for expansion both in gaming and into other media like film and TV shows, which are being planned

2) Bungie are also working on multiple new IP of their own, one of which is due out in 2025 under the code name Matter

3) Sony paid ~2.4 billion for Bungie, and the remaining 1.2 billion is to be paid out over a period of time for employee retention

4) Sony are on the verge of releasing a metric fuckton of live service games, but Sony themselves don't have a wealth of experience and knowledge on the subject. Bungie do. Bungie's managed to build a highly successful live service franchise with Destiny 1 and Destiny 2, and the data they've collected and the knowledge that they possess will be invaluable to Sony to help shape their own live service plans. Sony doesn't want to burn countless games trying to reinvent the live service wheel, so they've brought on board a team of experts to guide them

5) Bungie, at the time of their acquisition was about 4x the size of Insomniac at the time of their acquisition

6) The market has changed greatly over the past 3 years since Insomniac was acquired and the cost of acquisitions would've gone up simply because there are more buyers out there hoovering up studios.

AmuroChan

There's a difference. Bungie didn't necessarily want to sell. That's why Sony has to overpay and give them the sweet arrangement of being independent. Destiny as an IP also makes a boat load of money and so Sony is paying for that new revenue stream as well.

IPs are what is valuable, because you own those forever. Insomniac employees can leave anytime they want. There's inherent risk in purchasing a studio for just the studio. The talents there are not permanent.

Every M&A is different. It's not always apples to apples comparison.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
IPs are what is valuable, because you own those forever. Insomniac employees can leave anytime they want. There's inherent risk in purchasing a studio for just the studio. The talents there are not permanent.
Yes and no, they would have not gone through the efforts of giving them such high retention bonuses and gave them the independence they asked for if they care only about the IP.

Immediately upon working with Sony again, new avenues opened up for them and they're basically back on top of the industry again.

I love the work that they do. But it's true that if someone didn't buy them they might not exist. I see Sony buying them as mostly positive to be honest. Really happy that they are still around.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I expect AAA from Spider-Man 2 (Spider-Man 3 really, Miles morales) X-men game could be special.

Pelta88

With regards to Insomniac's acquisition people should go back to the dev interviews on youtube. Pay close attention to how the studio talks about their relationship with Playstation. They basically sing their praises and highlight the good working relationship they have with the publisher. I remember in one interview an Insom states that

"Whatever the studio needed, Sony delivered without issue."

That's not a verbatim quote but pretty close to it. Sony Playstation's acquisition strategy starts first and foremost on relationships. Which is why the deals seem "cheap" in comparison to others.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Ugh why can’t Sony just do a ps event similar to September 2021 rather than these state of plays. The robotic female voice over in state of plays lacks real excitement

Because J.R. is interested in doing things as cheaply as possible and he do not care about the response of your customers.

I hated Reggie, but now the crown belongs to J.R.

Nautilus

Banned
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

iHaunter

There's no way, way tooo soon. I also don't want a state of play. I want a showcase! But that usually comes during holiday seasons.

vivftp

Because J.R. is interested in doing things as cheaply as possible and he do not care about the response of your customers.

I hated Reggie, but now the crown belongs to J.R.

Person asks why can't Sony do a showcase similar to the 2021 one instead of State of Plays, and your response is that they are interested in doing things cheaply?
lol, a showcase doesn't cost any more to produce than a State of Play. They're the exact same thing, the only difference is a showcase typically has a strong first party presence and is typically longer.

There's a reason Sony has had 2 strong State of Plays this year (June, September) and there was no focus on new first party games. A showcase is obviously coming so just sit back and wait for it. And stop making up bullshit like "they're cheap", it just makes you look ignorant.

I love the work that they do. But it's true that if someone didn't buy them they might not exist. I see Sony buying them as mostly positive to be honest. Really happy that they are still around.

But I also see it is as the difference between Microsoft buying them and Sony buying them.

Look what they did with Microsoft, Sunset Overdrive, while the game has its fans, it wasn't a financial success.

With Sony they've produced Spyro, Ratchet, Resistance, Spider-Man, and in production is Wolverine.

Microsoft has been in the console space for over 20 years but they've never cultivated a studio like that. Look at Bungie and Rare, especially.

Then look at what Sony has done for Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac.

If you're a studio that has potential and you have the option of going to either of them, I think the choice is pretty obvious. That isn't to say that everything Sony touches turns to gold, but their track record is much better than Microsofts and it isn't even close.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Person asks why can't Sony do a showcase similar to the 2021 one instead of State of Plays, and your response is that they are interested in doing things cheaply?
lol, a showcase doesn't cost any more to produce than a State of Play. They're the exact same thing, the only difference is a showcase typically has a strong first party presence and is typically longer.

There's a reason Sony has had 2 strong State of Plays this year (June, September) and there was no focus on new first party games. A showcase is obviously coming so just sit back and wait for it. And stop making up bullshit like "they're cheap", it just makes you look ignorant.
If there was interest in the opinion of the people, an upcoming date for the event would have been announced.

It costs them nothing to make their audience happy or to be at special events.

So I stand by my position again.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Both of these games should be the best looking games we’ve ever seen. Along with Death Stranding 2. Non cross gen trash from talented developers.

I’d add factions 2 in there but that’s a multiplayer game so naturally it won’t look as good

Mobilemofo

Wolverine would be very interesting. How are they gonna face violence in such a game. Spiderman2 would be badass if it had co-op. Even if its a lazy optional mode.
The violence writes itself. It's wolverine. Rip and Tear, with them claws. Let's hope it's not a button masher.

vivftp

If there was interest in the opinion of the people, an upcoming date for the event would have been announced.

It costs them nothing to make their audience happy or to be at special events.

So I stand by my position again.

That might make sense if you haven't been paying attention to what Sony has been doing the past 2.5 years. This entire time they've ALWAYS announced a showcase or State of Play no longer than a week in advance. Even the PS5's Future of Gaming reveal event was only announced 3 days in advance.

So I repeat, stop making up bullshit. They are not, "doing things as cheaply as possible". I don't even know where you're pulling nonsense like, "do not care about the response of your customers" from. That has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. They don't announce showcases and SoP's well in advance because it allows them to be fluid with their plans in case something comes up that could cause a delay or requires rescheduling. It ensures there's no public hard target that their studios MUST aim for to be ready with a trailer, so it takes some of the pressure off of them since they can move the dates around if need be.

Events will happen when they happen. The public will get a heads-up about it up to a week in advance to get hyped about it. That's been working for them the past couple of years, so no reason to change it at the moment. If in the future they return to live showcases with the pandemic dying down, then of course we'll get announcements well in advance because they'll have to book the venue and sell tickets. For now, there's no real reason to announce a digital event several weeks or even months in advance.

Heimdall_Xtreme

That might make sense if you haven't been paying attention to what Sony has been doing the past 2.5 years. This entire time they've ALWAYS announced a showcase or State of Play no longer than a week in advance. Even the PS5's Future of Gaming reveal event was only announced 3 days in advance.

So I repeat, stop making up bullshit. They are not, "doing things as cheaply as possible". I don't even know where you're pulling nonsense like, "do not care about the response of your customers" from. That has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. They don't announce showcases and SoP's well in advance because it allows them to be fluid with their plans in case something comes up that could cause a delay or requires rescheduling. It ensures there's no public hard target that their studios MUST aim for to be ready with a trailer, so it takes some of the pressure off of them since they can move the dates around if need be.

Events will happen when they happen. The public will get a heads-up about it up to a week in advance to get hyped about it. That's been working for them the past couple of years, so no reason to change it at the moment. If in the future they return to live showcases with the pandemic dying down, then of course we'll get announcements well in advance because they'll have to book the venue and sell tickets. For now, there's no real reason to announce a digital event several weeks or even months in advance.

I highly doubt they'll immediately return to Major Live Events, not just because of the pandemic.

I repeat... If they had a little interest in their client...

They wouldn't have done the kind of nonsense like raising the price of the console. I'm sorry, but that, plus the lack of communication with their public, have made them show a lack of interest.

I highly doubt they'll immediately return to Major Live Events, not just because of the pandemic.

I repeat... If they had a little interest in their client...

They wouldn't have done the kind of nonsense like raising the price of the console. I'm sorry, but that, plus the lack of communication with their public, have made them show a lack of interest.
At the end of the day, content is king. "Lack of interest".... Just wait until Ragnarok launches.

But I also see it is as the difference between Microsoft buying them and Sony buying them.

Look what they did with Microsoft, Sunset Overdrive, while the game has its fans, it wasn't a financial success.

With Sony they've produced Spyro, Ratchet, Resistance, Spider-Man, and in production is Wolverine.

Microsoft has been in the console space for over 20 years but they've never cultivated a studio like that. Look at Bungie and Rare, especially.

Then look at what Sony has done for Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac.

If you're a studio that has potential and you have the option of going to either of them, I think the choice is pretty obvious. That isn't to say that everything Sony touches turns to gold, but their track record is much better than Microsofts and it isn't even close.

Yes Insomniac has been extremely successful when they worked with Sony. I can see why they chose to join them.

AmuroChan

Yes and no, they would have not gone through the efforts of giving them such high retention bonuses and gave them the independence they asked for if they care only about the IP.

Yes. I wasn’t implying that those two things were mutually exclusive. Obviously another major reason Sony acquired Bungie is for their expertise on live service games.

Top Bottom