• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

zwiggelbig

Ok im starting to understand what people mean with ''u have to play this game slowly and really let yourself be immersed.''
Then this game is freaking FANTASTIC. geezus christ I really feel like a cowboy :D And I even like to just hang slowly around my camp, shave, eat, drink a coffee

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ok im starting to understand what people mean with ''u have to play this game slowly and really let yourself be immersed.''
Then this game is freaking FANTASTIC. geezus christ I really feel like a cowboy :D And I even like to just hang slowly around my camp, shave, eat, drink a coffee
Yeah, the game doesn't really work for quick bursts of game time, for better or worse.

WaterAstro

Ah, good on them for making it hard for you /s

But man there is no greater feeling than murdering a snitch in this game. Having someone ride away on horseback after seeing you do some minor misgiving only to hogtie them, bring them to some desolate creek and cut them up myself with a knife. Shoulda kept riding your fuckin horse, mister.
Yeah, I tried to ride past them, but they were faster and my horse spooked real quickly.

old

I helped a hooker hide a body. No, not hide a dead hooker's body. I helped a hooker hide a dead body. I spent all night in a saloon taking fools for their money at poker after getting a fresh hair cut. As I left a hooker approached me for help. She shanked a john and needed me to hide the body. After I dumped the body in a pig pen I tried to negotiate a discount for future services but she was having none of it. She paid me and kicked me out. I respect that.

Last edited:
I helped a hooker hide a body. No, not hide a dead hooker's body. I helped a hooker hide a dead body. I spent all night in a saloon taking fools for their money at poker after getting a fresh hair cut. As I left a hooker approached me for help. She shanked a john and needed me to hide the body. After I dumped the body in a pig pen I tried to negotiate a discount for future services but she was having none of it. She paid me and kicked me out. I respect that.
This was pretty ironic as where I'm from there was a well known serial killer Robert Pickton who would pick up hookers on the dowtown eastside, kill them on his farm and feed them to his pigs, so its almost like a reverse shoutout from Rockstar.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So can we not bang hookers in this? I thought I read previews where they mentioned that you could but there would be no nudity.

Hostile_18

Banned
Just read aboutthe HDR not working correctly and sure enough turning it off the pictures is so much better, not washed out and blacks are inky black, on a calibrated LG OLED B8. Worth turning it off till they patch it for sure.

Freeman76

I double dipped last night after playing the Pro for about 15 hours. I just played this on the Xbox One X for the first time after playing on PS4 Pro and there's not a drastic difference between the two. If you're on PS4 Pro, don't sweat it; it looks great. The biggest difference is the resolution is sharper in 4K and the texturing looks better when zoomed up against someone. In motion, I can't tell a huge difference.

There is a massive difference between PRO and X, if you have a 4k TV and working eyes.

One oversight from Rockstar is no way to upgrade from standard version to any of the others. I want to try out the robbery mission and whatnot, but thereis literally no way to do it. I love the game so much i would probably upgrade to ultimate for all the online stuff, I wont be playing any other games for months.

Horns

The companion app is really really good. I turned off my mini map in the game (hold down on the d-pad) and use the companion app for the mini map. You can tap down on the d-pad to bring it up for a few seconds before it disappears again. It might be the best complimentary app I've ever used for a game.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
There is a massive difference between PRO and X, if you have a 4k TV and working eyes.

Stop. It depend on screen size and viewing distance. I remember setting up my new 4k TV and having issues with "enhanced" HDMI and all that and was constantly switching back and forth from 4k to 1080P, with and without HDR on AC: O and sometimes I had to push the "display" button on TV remote to be 100% sure which mode I was in. His Pro is running twice the pixels of 1080P which means it would be even harder to tell the difference.

I know people want to win the console war, but 4k is not the hill to die on.

Freeman76

Stop. It depend on screen size and viewing distance. I remember setting up my new 4k TV and having issues with "enhanced" HDMI and all that and was constantly switching back and forth from 4k to 1080P, with and without HDR on AC: O and sometimes I had to push the "display" button on TV remote to be 100% sure which mode I was in. His Pro is running twice the pixels of 1080P which means it would be even harder to tell the difference.

Nothing to do with a console war I have both PRO and X. Its just miles better on X, watch the DF video (Digital Foundry). I dont care about console war crap in the slightest, but people might read these OT posts to help with what platform to buy it on and if you want the best version its the X you want.

Back on topic, just started Chapter 3 and its just getting better every session I play. Games like this dont happen very often!

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Sooo.. I just killed the legendary moose.
Skinned it's carcass and waited for my horse to arrive.
Was playing on my phone real quick, when suddenly I heard "hands up". Look at my tv and there was a grouped that killed me.
Now I lost ny legendary moose skin and the map shows I killed it.

Any way to get the skin back?

Vawn

Banned
I double dipped last night after playing the Pro for about 15 hours. I just played this on the Xbox One X for the first time after playing on PS4 Pro and there's not a drastic difference between the two. If you're on PS4 Pro, don't sweat it; it looks great. The biggest difference is the resolution is sharper in 4K and the texturing looks better when zoomed up against someone. In motion, I can't tell a huge difference.

Well, yeah. That's why we have sites like Digital Foundry. It's too difficult to always tell which version is superior, so we need someone to break it down, so one side has ammunition for the fanboy console wars.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Was playing on my phone real quick, when suddenly I heard "hands up". Look at my tv and there was a grouped that killed me.

Not that I know of. I had 3 perfect skins of deer and was killed by a roaming bounty hunter. Lost it and a good 2 hours of hunting (as for some reason, 3 star animals are super hard to come by). However, Legendary Skins will appear at the trapper - you just won't get the money for it.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Not that I know of. I had 3 perfect skins of deer and was killed by a roaming bounty hunter. Lost it and a good 2 hours of hunting (as for some reason, 3 star animals are super hard to come by). However, Legendary Skins will appear at the trapper - you just won't get the money for it.
Ok, cool. I don't need the money, just the skin.

Incidentally that mission is actually kind of a tutorial for getting rid of bodies. Even outside the mission dropping dead bodies in the pig pen gets them eaten by the pigs.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I feel sorry for anyone who gave this up so early on. I was definitely fiddling with the controls for a bit but now I have good dead eye and a good understanding of the mechanics I can wreck a gang of lemoyne raiders or odriscolls, and hunt like a legend also. This is fast becoming my game of the generation, no other world feels like this and I think I have only uncovered approximately half the map. It’s amazing.

Ok you asked for it so I gave it a shot: Hunting Legendary Animals Made Easy (plus Trapper and Fence into)!

Your videos are awesome man, I subscribed to your channel. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

This.

I regularly game @ 4K60 with my 1080Ti rig connected to my PC and sometimes I even dial it back to 1440P if performance isnt locked at 60, 4K is not the be all and end all. RDR2 looks fantastic on the Pro and I'm sure it does on the X but both are amazing.

Stuart360

Loving how people seem to be loving the game a lot more as they get further into the game. Thats my feeling as well after being 12 hours into watching a playthrough.
By the way, i have been downloading the Youtube playthrough and running it through SVP, damn the game looks great at '60fps', can't wait for the PC version, or even the next gen version if Rockstar decide to push for 60fps.

Vaev

The trapper should be able to buy your legendary skin even after losing it. It happened with my bear skin after I tossed it in camp and rode away and it disappeared. Visited the Trapper and he had it, was able to craft the bear skin hat.

DryvBy

One oversight from Rockstar is no way to upgrade from standard version to any of the others. I want to try out the robbery mission and whatnot, but thereis literally no way to do it. I love the game so much i would probably upgrade to ultimate for all the online stuff, I wont be playing any other games for months.

I have a KS8000 and working eyes. At a stand still, the game looks better on X and it has less texture blur if you're really paying a lot of attention. But it's not night and day, nothing near what people are pretending. Even in the DF, the Pro is fine in comparison. This isn't a post to undermine the power of the XBOX. This is just a heads up for those who thought their Pro version was some gimped version that looks like trash compared to the Xbox version.

This is kind of like how people claim the Xbox One X has a drastically improved framerate over PS4 Pro, then you go look at the videos and DF has a single frame lower than Xbox One X when it drops. If you notice that kind of dip, more power to ya.

The point of my post isn't to say there's no difference (there is) but it's nothing to act like it's mind blowing different. Unless you have eyes that zoom into the screen, pause it, analyze it, it's perfectly fine.

Stuart360

I have a KS8000 and working eyes. At a stand still, the game looks better on X and it has less texture blur if you're really paying a lot of attention. But it's not night and day, nothing near what people are pretending. Even in the DF, the Pro is fine in comparison. This isn't a post to undermine the power of the XBOX. This is just a heads up for those who thought their Pro version was some gimped version that looks like trash compared to the Xbox version.

This is kind of like how people claim the Xbox One X has a drastically improved framerate over PS4 Pro, then you go look at the videos and DF has a single frame lower than Xbox One X when it drops. If you notice that kind of dip, more power to ya.

The point of my post isn't to say there's no difference (there is) but it's nothing to act like it's mind blowing different. Unless you have eyes that zoom into the screen, pause it, analyze it, it's perfectly fine.
Well TLW took a win for the PRO with BLOP4 where VGTech showed the Pro had a 1 frame per second advantage over the X with 30+mins of footage, while ignoring the 75% resolution bump on the X.
Fanboys on either side say the same stuff.
Also the DF vid shows the X dropping to 29fps in rare cases (except the infamous cut scene), whereas the Pro was dropping to 28, 27, 26, even lower at much more places in gameplay.

DryvBy

Well TLW took a win for the PRO with BLOP4 where VGTech showed the Pro had a 1 frame per second advantage over the X with 30+mins of footage, while ignoring the 75% resolution bump on the X.
Fanboys on either side say the same stuff.
Also the DF vid shows the X dropping to 29fps in rare cases (except the infamous cut scene), whereas the Pro was dropping to 28, 27, 26, even lower at much more places in gameplay.

I actually just finished watching the video and it dropped to 26 in that weird bar fight scene that sucks on every platform and it hit that point I believe for a single second in the big city. It's typically 30-29 FPS throughout with minor drops, obviously the X is keeping the best frame rate. But it's nothing like 5+ frames that are noticeable constantly.

I don't care about "taking the win". Freaking stupid attitudes to have in gaming, as if whatever system you designed and built. Again, I'm not saying the Xbox One X isn't the best looking version because it is. I'm saying the differences between the two for those who have Pro versions and can't get over that a more powerful system will look better. I just compared the two and sitting on the couch, not zoomed in, you can't tell a huge difference and it's not much to worry about.

Last edited:

Dunki

One thing I hate: I just robbed a Bank (side or story related) made like 7k 2000+ for me and then I get a mission selling some stupid moonshine for 50 cent a bottle and Hoisea tells me how much we do need this money....

I just bought every upgrade available at the camp and still have over 600 in there. I wish stories would be better with this stuff

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I stopped at the bridge, pulled out a stick of dynamite and lobbed it at the wagon, 4 instant kills with bodies flying off the cliff. The lone survivor got on his horse and said NOPE I don't want to die today! and rode off LOL
Nice!! Lol!!

Codes 208

Theres a glitch to get 30 gold bars at a time. I shouldve figured it wouldnt take long for people to break this game

Vtecomega

Banned
What was it that made it click in for you?

Initially I was put off by the slow pace and sluggish controls. It's a lot to take in and the game can become very overwhelming. The more I progressed the more I realized how ambitious and grand everything feels. The attention to detail, the excellent writing ( for the most part) and the tangible and believable world just feels so alive. This is product where love, passion and talent truly shows. I am completely immersed into the wold they created.

This is what gaming is about. This is where 5 years of development time truly shines. I won't make comparison to another half assed game that took equal amount of time to develop.

WiseguyMVP

giphy.gif

Darklor01

Well, .. it’s happened. Just like in real life, I just can’t seem to manage my(Arthur’s) weight. Lol. Now I’m underweight.

Darklor01

Lol... I don’t think this person knows how either video games work or how the “Old West” works. I’d hate to play whatever version of this world she’d come up with. It would likely be a world where we just try to survive and find work or, well, ... I dunno... I have no idea what she’d think would make a good Old West video game.

Lol... I don’t think this person knows how either video games work or how the “Old West” works. I’d hate to play whatever version of this world she’d come up with. It would likely be a world where we just try to survive and find work or, well, ... I dunno... I have no idea what she’d think would make a good Old West video game.
Tweet is gone since no one agreed with her. Probably feels like a victim now. Can’t take critiques of her critiques.

Darklor01

Tweet is gone since no one agreed with her. Probably feels like a victim now. Can’t take critiques of her critiques.

Good. It’s a shame, she’s obviously smart and well read. She just decided to be all Judgy about a situation which isn’t trying to be anything but fun entertainment. For everything else she’s talking about, the game The Oregon Trail has existed for years and years at this point.

Last edited:
Good. It’s a shame, she’s obviously smart and well read. She just decided to be all Judgy about a situation which isn’t trying to be anything but fun entertainment. For everything else she’s talking about, the game The Oregon Trail has existed for years and years at this point.

Checked her Twitter. Yep. Claims of people calling her names. I don’t know if you looked before it was deleted but she was the one calling others names.

Also says Capitalism is thief

Edit isn’t this the same person who complained about Spider-Man working with the NYPD in the new game?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Checked her Twitter. Yep. Claims of people calling her names. I don’t know if you looked before it was deleted but she was the one calling others names.

Also says Capitalism is thief

Edit isn’t this the same person who complained about Spider-Man working with the NYPD in the new game?

She did whine about the "NPC" meme being used and then told people to fuck off. She seems more toxic than the memers.

She did whine about the "NPC" meme being used and then told people to fuck off. She seems more toxic than the memers.
If you read the article (I don’t suggest anyone to do so) she makes a complaint that NPC’ don’t seem real :messenger_tears_of_joy: and that they are spawned just for you to help. And they reward you for it.

The NPC’s are in the game for you to interact with! Whether you help them, hurt them, ignore them is your choice. Lots of freedom to the game.

She also can’t seem to see that there are some NPC’s that are in the game in scripted events (man bite by snake) and others who aren’t. That Skyrim NPC’s are better because they exists for reasons beyond the player.

All NPC’s in all games exist for the player. Not all NPC’s in RDR2 exist for your benefit as she is suggesting.

And that doesn’t even cover the other half of her complaint... toxic masculinity and guns :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I was do disappointed by this game. I tried four separate times to get past the introduction but it was the most boring intro I've ever played in a game. After watching several walkthroughs you are still in this area hours into the game, I'll pass. Clunky controls, snails pace, boringggggggggggggggggggggg. Sold it on Craigslist while it's still worth something.

This game will be $60 years from now just like GTA 5. Sorry you didn’t like. My cousin was watching me play and was turned off by all the time I spent riding my horse. 😆

I’m 30 hours in and loving every minute. Haven’t been this wrapped up in a game since Witcher 3. Would love to upgrade my satchel but I suck at hunting and it seems like such a daunting task.

Top Bottom