• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Checked her Twitter. Yep. Claims of people calling her names. I don’t know if you looked before it was deleted but she was the one calling others names.

Aww, man. I missed out.

Was it about the Sadie mission at the second camp? Just wondering.

I figured that might 'trigger' some folks. Thought it was great. Arthur had some choice lines as well in Rhodes.

Game works well as a period piece. Has fitting lines for the appropriate times.

Rockstar did such an excellent job with this game.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I helped a hooker hide a body. No, not hide a dead hooker's body. I helped a hooker hide a dead body. I spent all night in a saloon taking fools for their money at poker after getting a fresh hair cut. As I left a hooker approached me for help. She shanked a john and needed me to hide the body. After I dumped the body in a pig pen I tried to negotiate a discount for future services but she was having none of it. She paid me and kicked me out. I respect that.
I decided that I wanted to get the body to the trough faster and put it on my horse. Apparently carrying a dead body around isn't murder, but putting it on a horse is.

gimz

I was exploring the world yesterday, robbed a train all by myself, drove the train up north, then hike up the mountain on foot until the boarder. Although there are still about 30% of the map I have not explored, but meeting the boarder of the map sadden me :(

I feel sorry for anyone who gave this up so early on. I was definitely fiddling with the controls for a bit but now I have good dead eye and a good understanding of the mechanics I can wreck a gang of lemoyne raiders or odriscolls, and hunt like a legend also. This is fast becoming my game of the generation, no other world feels like this and I think I have only uncovered approximately half the map. It’s amazing.

Your videos are awesome man, I subscribed to your channel. Keep up the good work!

This.

Its so far ahead of the competition some ppl have a hard grasping how to enjoy it. Best game of this generation.

GenericUser

I hope the next patch gives me the option to reduce or turn off the vignette effect. I played for an hour yesterday and I really don't like it that much. It feels a little as if it's taking away your field of view. Graphics are stunning though, can't believe this runs on current gen consoles.

Halo0629

This.

Its so far ahead of the competition some ppl have a hard grasping how to enjoy it. Best game of this generation.
The story gets really good later on and even the later cities are jaw droppingly pretty. The game still offers many surprises eventhough I'm close to 50 hrs already. Too bad for people who gave up early on because they couldn't get passed the game's flaws. Not going to lie the first couple of hours was pretty boring but when the open world section and a lot of stuffs becomes available to you the game becomes really fun.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes the intro is slow but its a western for gods sake.

Its kinda like the slow 20 minute opening in Once Upon A Time in The West, where just three people wait for a train, before the movie really kicks off.

So RDR2 has a slow intro.. You dont like the controls? Customize them!

Enzo88

Yes the intro is slow but its a western for gods sake.

Its kinda like the slow 20 minute opening in Once Upon A Time in The West, where just three people wait for a train, before the movie really kicks off.

So RDR2 has a slow intro.. You dont like the controls? Customize them!
The problem with the controls is not just in the way they are mapped, but responsiveness too...you can`t customize that...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Just finished Chapter 3 and good lord that was awesome. I love each chapter so far works as a contained story but leads into the next. I'm hooked deep, also thanks in part to the incredible voice acting.

Wonkytonk

Just finished Chapter 3 and good lord that was awesome. I love each chapter so far works as a contained story but leads into the next. I'm hooked deep, also thanks in part to the incredible voice acting.

I am in a very similar place to you.

That mission at Braithwaite Manor was amazing, burning it to the ground was satisfying. When all the crew are first walking up to the Manor-- epic! On to Saint Denis now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Cant wait for rockstar to add the dirt bike DLC
So i can ditch the fucking horses.

Inuteu

so, you guys think that HDR problem can be patched any time soon?

I think the game looks great on the X with oled anyway

Zimmy68

After yesterday's comments I wanted to test turning HDR off in the game.
I don't see the option, only adjusting it.
Is there a way or do I have to turn it off on my TV manually?

Inuteu

After yesterday's comments I wanted to test turning HDR off in the game.
I don't see the option, only adjusting it.
Is there a way or do I have to turn it off on my TV manually?

on the Xbox yes, on system setings

on PS4 I dont remmember, probably the same

Vawn

Banned
Loving how people seem to be loving the game a lot more as they get further into the game. Thats my feeling as well after being 12 hours into watching a playthrough.
By the way, i have been downloading the Youtube playthrough and running it through SVP, damn the game looks great at '60fps', can't wait for the PC version, or even the next gen version if Rockstar decide to push for 60fps.

I'll never understand you kids. Why watch someone else play the entire game? That sounds horrible.

Horns

Said this elsewhere. The eye in the middle of the dead eye indicates if Author needs sleep. When the eye turns red with an X go to sleep. Dead eye will regenerate faster and the eye will turn white again.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
holy fucking shit horse battle is so fucking annoying the controls fuck man just fuck.

/rant

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i find myself just riding around hunting and checking stuff out. i'm still trying to figure out how everything works. i've hardly touched quests. i'm gonna end up sinking hundreds of hours into this game. it's so damn good.

BONDO

holy fucking shit horse battle is so fucking annoying the controls fuck man just fuck.

/rant
I LOVEEEE the game....but I can relate here.
Shooting can be a pain when being chased horseback. I either lose speed or I nail something in front of me and fly off. lol

Stuart360

I'll never understand you kids. Why watch someone else play the entire game? That sounds horrible.
Well i'm not a kid (i wish i still was at times though), and i'm a PC gamer, so have no choice in the matter.

Last edited:

Data Ghost

Itching to get back to RDR2 after a business trip took me away from my Xbox One X. After reading everyone complaining about the controls the other day it started taking the shine off the game for me, then I played it again and realised how over the top people can be. Yes its slow and a little clunky but its meant to be a slow paced game and GTA was also clunky to an extent. Seems strange the some people give up so easily and miss out on all the GOOD stuff because they wouldn't learn to accommodate the control scheme.

Vawn

Banned
Well i'm not a kid (i wish i still was at times though), and i'm a PC gamer, so have no choice in the matter.

Sorry, I'm at that annoying age where anyone younger than me, I call a kid. Or if you're older than me, yet watch people play games on YouTube, I also call you a kid.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sorry, I'm at that annoying age where anyone younger than me, I call a kid. Or if you're older than me, yet watch people play games on YouTube, I also call you a kid.

So anyone who watches people (who they very well may find entertaining) play games is a kid? Does this mean that I am a "kid" if I watch my little brother play a game? How about when I hang out with friends and watch them play games? Same thing that you state here.

The only one who seems to be a "kid" here is you, mate.

DryvBy

If you read the article (I don’t suggest anyone to do so) she makes a complaint that NPC’ don’t seem real :messenger_tears_of_joy: and that they are spawned just for you to help. And they reward you for it.

The NPC’s are in the game for you to interact with! Whether you help them, hurt them, ignore them is your choice. Lots of freedom to the game.

She also can’t seem to see that there are some NPC’s that are in the game in scripted events (man bite by snake) and others who aren’t. That Skyrim NPC’s are better because they exists for reasons beyond the player.

All NPC’s in all games exist for the player. Not all NPC’s in RDR2 exist for your benefit as she is suggesting.

And that doesn’t even cover the other half of her complaint... toxic masculinity and guns :messenger_grinning_smiling:

This is what people meant with the whole "game journalism is dead" years ago. The only reason this article exists is to drive traffic so you'll hit a counter for their ads to pay them out. They make such ridiculous claims for that purpose alone. There's no way this obviously intelligent writer actually believes this. That is, unless they truly are an NPC.

I think they pulled their stupid Tweet too. Kotaku should do the same for that worthless article.

RPGCrazied

Where do you get DLC items? The game came with a horse and other stuff.

And also, can you shower in the game? I'm looking rather dirty. lol

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Where do you get DLC items? The game came with a horse and other stuff.

And also, can you shower in the game? I'm looking rather dirty. lol
For the guns, the earliest is when you arrive at Valentine.
There is a gunshop there that will have the pistol, rifle and shotgun for free in their catalog.

For the horse, you need to open the stable in Valentine from a mission (the Bear one, I believe).
Once opened, you can shop for your horses and the free one is the DLC one.

The wearable boosts are available when you go to your camp (when you can change clothes for the first time).

I think that is all the stuff.

No shower, you take a bath in a hotel room in Valentine.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

For the guns, the earliest is when you arrive at Valentine.
There is a gunshop there that will have the pistol, rifle and shotgun for free in their catalog.

For the horse, you need to open the stable in Valentine from a mission (the Bear one, I believe).
Once opened, you can shop for your horses and the free one is the DLC one.

The wearable boosts are available when you go to your camp (when you can change clothes for the first time).

I think that is all the stuff.

No shower, you take a bath in a hotel room in Valentine.

Thanks man!

xviper

i'm getting bored with the game, in 2 days i played like 1 hour

the boring travelling and tank controls are not helping

Vawn

Banned
So anyone who watches people (who they very well may find entertaining) play games is a kid? Does this mean that I am a "kid" if I watch my little brother play a game? How about when I hang out with friends and watch them play games? Same thing that you state here.

The only one who seems to be a "kid" here is you, mate.

I clearly stated watching playthroughs on YouTube mate.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

i'm getting bored with the game, in 2 days i played like 1 hour

the boring travelling and tank controls are not helping
you can set a waypoint and go in cinema mode, then just do something on your phone and let your horse travel.
This game really is meant to play in long bursts by the way and u gotta try to really get immersed in it. if thats not for you then yea game is not for you haha.
I really feel like that cowboy going on long travels.. Just wish they would not let me have to tap to run all the time..

Skyr

So I just had a random encounter in the rhodes area and how it played out for me just blew my mind:

I found this somewhat remote house where a father and his where having an argument over something. As I was hiding in the hallway the son discovered me and screamed for his dad who threatend me with his gun and told me to leave his home immediately. I honetly felt bad about breaking in into a house of seemingly good people, so I decided to apologize and make my way outside. Unfortunately I didn't leave the property fast enough in the eyes of the dad and he started to take shots at me as I was already walking away from the house. So I had no choice but to defend myself and killed him. When I went back in to see what the son was up to, I found him hiding under his bed crying in agony about his dad that I just shot dead. He asked me why I would do such a cruel thing and kill his beloved dad infront of him.

At this moment I was just stunned. It was the first time I genuinely felt terrible about killing someone in a videogame. I felt like a goddamn murderer. The crying was also very well acted out I have to say, so props to the voice actor.
After collecting myself, I decided OK I just killed the father of this child so I might aswell rob them and it wouldn't make it that much worse. So as I was cleaning out the room of the kid he started to cry even more and told me to leave him at least one of the collector cards. And of course that made me even feel worse now lol..

Honestly that whole event felt so uncanny to me it that it was scary. The best thing about it that it was completely unexpected for me and was just a random event. No mission marker or anything, it just happened naturally.

Oh and that also makes me wonder. With the ambition of this game in mind... Will the son possibly come back at me?

Last edited:
I told myself not to do any side content.. But I keep doing side content fuck

this is the exact issue i have in open world games. i never get to the storyline quests!

i begrudgingly didnt get to play last night, and tonights halloween so I need to take the little one out and watch horror movies at home. but i'm SO thirsty to play. i've only scratched the surface of valentine

Last edited:
Top Bottom