• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Vaev

Also, I lost the legendary bear skin from the mission near teh beginning, because I had no idea how to sell it. There was no trapper available yet, so I took my horse back to camp with the skin on it, and I couldn't do anything with it there. So I dropped it at camp, and it was eventually abandoned or something, kind of frustrated me. I still don't know what I'm doing with selling meats and skins, I usually just walk the carcass up to the cook at camp and select donate. But I don't know why that didn't work for the legendary skin. Why would they let you get the skin so early if you can't do anything with it?

After I've killed it or before I kill it?
I thought I had lost mine too after leaving in in camp for a while. Go back to the trapper and check if he has it, he had mine and I was able to craft the Legendary bear hat (but I did not get the 20+ bucks for the carcass)

Maybe 20% through the story and still totally impressed. Love this game. There is some wonkiness with controls/menus but not a big complaint. The world is amazing, I've probably spent 2-3 hours just exploring the map and stumbling across all sorts of random/interesting things.

Nymphae

Banned
I thought I had lost mine too after leaving in in camp for a while. Go back to the trapper and check if he has it, he had mine and I was able to craft the Legendary bear hat (but I did not get the 20+ bucks for the carcass)

Nice, I'll check that out, even though I don't like the look of any of those animal clothes lol. Much prefer a cowboy hat.

DryvBy

Nice, I'll check that out, even though I don't like the look of any of those animal clothes lol. Much prefer a cowboy hat.

When you wear the bear head around, sometimes NPCs will yell out how stupid and ridiculous you look. It's worth it just for that.

Vaev

I pretty much feel the same way, but I get that sense of accomplishment when crafting and wearing them. Some of the vests/gloves/coats look really sick though. I can't wait to pair and customize my own outfits.

I found a KKK meeting in the game. I killed the head Klans dude. He had 44 cents when I looted him. In fact every klansman I loot has 44 cents. Not sure if that is a glitch or what.

caffeware

Banned
Nice, I'll check that out, even though I don't like the look of any of those animal clothes.

238649.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
I was wondering for hours before i realized i lost my damn hat!

I like that it stays where you leave it. But I was pissed because after one of the missions at the hotel where you get drunk and run from the cops, and wake up somewhere without your hat, I ran all the way back to the town's saloon, and my hat was nowhere to be found, unless I missed it. Had to get another from my camp, I thought it was a bit cheesy that I can just get the same hat at camp if I lose my first one.

Last edited:
This is nice to know. I haven't started killing legendary animals but there's so much stuff that can go wrong on the road. Money isn't really a problem in the game so the money's no big loss.

I'm still in chapter 2 and I have $900+ with quite a few camp upgrades including Dutch and Arthur's tent, Pearson's leatherworking and the second tier of the various storage. Also got the most expensive saddle and stirrup cause more stats are good. Most of that is from just doing missions and whatever bandit camps I run across. I don't even know why people would bother with those money exploits floating around, the game throws so much money at the player already. I can probably max out the camp upgrades at this point but those other guys need to put it work instead of having the ledger be nothing but Arthurs.

I found a KKK meeting in the game. I killed the head Klans dude. He had 44 cents when I looted him. In fact every klansman I loot has 44 cents. Not sure if that is a glitch or what.
Your KKK meeting wasn't in the forest? The one I ran into was near the Appleseed Timber Co. The idiots burned themselves up as part of the scripted event and sadly you can't loot burning corpses. The leader survives and you can talk to him which just ends up in a fist fight. Did yours happen differently?

Incidentally I ran into my first repeat event but I have like 40 hours in the game already. It's the one in Valentine where one of the saloon girls asks you to dispose of the body. It's an actual repeat witht he NPC saying the exact same thing, most of the time if you run into an NPC encounter again it's a continuation but not this one.

HotPocket69

Banned
This is nice to know. I haven't started killing legendary animals but there's so much stuff that can go wrong on the road. Money isn't really a problem in the game so the money's no big loss.

I'm still in chapter 2 and I have $900+ with quite a few camp upgrades including Dutch and Arthur's tent, Pearson's leatherworking and the second tier of the various storage. Also got the most expensive saddle and stirrup cause more stats are good. Most of that is from just doing missions and whatever bandit camps I run across. I don't even know why people would bother with those money exploits floating around, the game throws so much money at the player already. I can probably max out the camp upgrades at this point but those other guys need to put it work instead of having the ledger be nothing but Arthurs.

Your KKK meeting wasn't in the forest? The one I ran into was near the Appleseed Timber Co. The idiots burned themselves up as part of the scripted event and sadly you can't loot burning corpses. The leader survives and you can talk to him which just ends up in a fist fight. Did yours happen differently?

Incidentally I ran into my first repeat event but I have like 40 hours in the game already. It's the one in Valentine where one of the saloon girls asks you to dispose of the body. It's an actual repeat witht he NPC saying the exact same thing, most of the time if you run into an NPC encounter again it's a continuation but not this one.

Still damn fuckin impressive that it took 40 hours to get a repeated ambient event

Somewhat differently. Same scripted event. Throw dynamite into the group before anything actually happened.

But yes same place and event.

kingwingin

if i blast away a 3 star bison with my shotgun will that cause the skin to lose value?

Also is there certain guns/ammo i should be using for certain animals?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
if i blast away a 3 star bison with my shotgun will that cause the skin to lose value?

Also is there certain guns/ammo i should be using for certain animals?

Yes, and yes. Small game you want to sick with arrows or varmint rifles (.22 cal), otherwise you ruin the pelts and flesh/meat.

It is most ideal with 'dead eye' head-shots on them.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Is the mask bugged? Putting it on doesnt seem to keep me from getting wanted.

Also,
holy shit micah is insane.

Last edited:

Vaev

Still damn fuckin impressive that it took 40 hours to get a repeated ambient event
I ran into the creepy hermit in the tree who thinks he's a king and keeps telling me to go away... To be fair he's always there so it's expected to repeat.

Called my horse Ptolemy. First thing i thought of, no idea why. Have busted out a notebook, actual pencil and paper, to take notes. That puts it in my notebook game tier. Just an incredible game to get lost in. What a treat. Gonna bail outta here though as i dont wanna come across any game world details or events i havent stumbled on yet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is the mask bugged? Putting it on doesnt seem to keep me from getting wanted.

Also,
holy shit micah is insane.

Maybe try the full face one in your wardrobe chest?

I have yet to try it out, but wonder if some recognize the face more than others.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I ran into the creepy hermit in the tree who thinks he's a king and keeps telling me to go away... To be fair he's always there so it's expected to repeat.

I ran into a guy in a tree in the small burnt pine outcrop down the hill from the base camp.

I decided to stroll through it, and my horse started to get agitated. I was calming him, then I heard a growl from a puma, so I was heading towards the sound. His horse was hitched close and trying to pull away scared, the guy was hanging from the tree swearing in Spanish and shooting at the kitty trying to jump and swipe at him. He then ran out of bullets, and a few seconds later fell out of the tree. He stood up to run, but the cat pounced on him and tore is face and throat. I could not rescue him, but kitty got to eat too I suppose. I ran off a little as the puma charged, and then went and unhooked his horse so that he/she could run off.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Srsly the mask isnt helping hide my identity during robberies at all. Everyone immediately knows who I am and I get a bounty automatically. Changing my clothes doesnt seem to help either.

For such a big detailed world it sure lacks a sense of discovery. Going off the beaten path should lead me to caves, secret hideouts, or hidden treasures. But in Red Dead its just nothing.

I've had the opposite....I have been blowing up kkk members...being chased by a cult...and having some random vet dude who sounds like Steven ogg (trevor from gta) talking to a horse in a non consentual type of way....I'm loving it

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Srsly the mask isnt helping hide my identity during robberies at all. Everyone immediately knows who I am and I get a bounty automatically. Changing my clothes doesnt seem to help either.

Need to change everything. Clothes, guns, horse, everything anyone might have seen you as Arthur associated with.

Darklor01

I ran into a guy in a tree in the small burnt pine outcrop down the hill from the base camp.

I decided to stroll through it, and my horse started to get agitated. I was calming him, then I heard a growl from a puma, so I was heading towards the sound. His horse was hitched close and trying to pull away scared, the guy was hanging from the tree swearing in Spanish and shooting at the kitty trying to jump and swipe at him. He then ran out of bullets, and a few seconds later fell out of the tree. He stood up to run, but the cat pounced on him and tore is face and throat. I could not rescue him, but kitty got to eat too I suppose. I ran off a little as the puma charged, and then went and unhooked his horse so that he/she could run off.

Lol, I had an encounter where there were horses hitched to a wagon. I eliminate the threat and unhook the horses. I focus on one of the horses, select Flee to make it run off. It promptly bucks up and kicks me down with its hind legs. That’ll teach me to try to free the horses. Damn O’Driscol’s!!

Geki-D

Banned
Need to change everything. Clothes, guns, horse, everything anyone might have seen you as Arthur associated with.
Does that work? I watched a review where they said masks do nothing but make your Wanted bar go down faster when you take them off but otherwise hiding your identity is out of the game.

Darklor01

Does that work? I watched a review where they said masks do nothing but make your Wanted bar go down faster when you take them off but otherwise hiding your identity is out of the game.
It seems that you have to change EVERYTHING. If they spot anything they’ve can link you to being Arthur, then, you get identified. At least, from what I read, someone experimented and found that you can’t have a single thing on you clothes or weapons or horse they recognize.

Geki-D

Banned
It seems that you have to change EVERYTHING. If they spot anything they’ve can link you to being Arthur, then, you get identified. At least, from what I read, someone experimented and found that you can’t have a single thing on you clothes or weapons or horse they recognize.
Jeesh, guns is a bit silly. Especially if you're using generic ones.

Wonkytonk

I was pretty unsure for the first few hours, now I’m at 30% completion and I absolutely love it. Every main mission I do is full of fun and exciting gameplay, as well as interesting and often amusing storylines and character interactions.

I look forward to the next time that I can continue playing! Excellent stuff.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol, I had an encounter where there were horses hitched to a wagon. I eliminate the threat and unhook the horses. I focus on one of the horses, select Flee to make it run off. It promptly bucks up and kicks me down with its hind legs. That’ll teach me to try to free the horses. Damn O’Driscol’s!!

Same thing happened to me. I saw that encounter as well, and the horse kicked me too because I was too close, then the guy mentioned something about being able to loot the carriage because they were just going to write it off on the insurance anyways, lol.

Darklor01

Same thing happened to me. I saw that encounter as well, and the horse kicked me too because I was too close, then the guy mentioned something about being able to loot the carriage because they were just going to write it off on the insurance anyways, lol.

I know the encounter you’re talking about. Lol. The one that this happened to me on was a different one where the AI was trying to set me up. It was on a bridge. They just sat there at the wagon. One shouted at me to stop! I noticed on my Mini-Map that they were represented by red dots(enemies). I drew my repeater rifle and uses a tree at the bridge for cover just below it at an angle while picking them off one by one. After looting them, I thought I’d be the good guy and free the horses. My mistake. They’d rather kick you than flee apparently.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know the encounter you’re talking about. Lol. The one that this happened to me on was a different one where the AI was trying to set me up. It was on a bridge. They just sat there at the wagon. One shouted at me to stop! I noticed on my Mini-Map that they were represented by red dots(enemies). I drew my repeater rifle and uses a tree at the bridge for cover just below it at an angle while picking them off one by one. After looting them, I thought I’d be the good guy and free the horses. My mistake. They’d rather kick you than flee apparently.

Oh nice! I will have to keep an eye out for that one.

HotPocket69

Banned
I don’t know about any creepy old guy in a tree but I DID just kill a fucking lion

Cut off his paw and made a trinket that gives a perm 10% stamina XP boost

Last edited:
So I just rode up to some guy's camp and he started yelling at me "If I wanted to share a bedroll with anyone else I'd be in the city!"

So I pistol whipped him and he fell into his campfire and the flames spread to his unconscious body and burned him alive. Wow.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So I’ve just found that Reddit have a sub section for the mysteries in this loke they do GTAV.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadmysteries/

Cheat codes? Massive underground cave system? Aliens? Ghosts? Kiflom?

And just like that I’m back down the damn rabbit hole... I’ll gave dreams about that damn mountain tonight I know it...

gimz

So last night, I realized it's really boring to be an honourable person without much bounty on my head. I nearly fall asleep while playing. From now on I will shoot anyone that's being an asshole

Top Bottom