• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Geki-D

Banned
In RDR2, playing a "good guy", seems to be the same thing. According to the main story quests, I really don't value human life if it doesn't affect me or my small circle of friends.
The world feeling so alive and real, along with the fact I can interact with every NPC is one way or another is making it pretty hard for me to just mow down civilians. I just can't bring myself to kill them unless they shoot first.

Also being a bad guy is nice and all but the NPC's asking for help only really give you something back if you're good to them. Murdering a guy bit by a snake means he won't show up later to reward you. Crime doesn't really pay, in that regard.

I could have sworn it was in the very beginning.
I must have missed it. Seems a lot of people did if it does tell you. I wish devs remembered that the touch pad could be split in two, they could have to map to the right and the camera change to the left.

DryvBy

I disagree with all of the above, except for 1, if people want to play this game that way than let them I guess, but I'm glad no resources were wasted trying to make it that way during development. A post release patch is fine though, so longa s they address the HDR and Surround Sound issues first.

Oh so it's not my receiver acting like crap, it's the game? Dialogue is so dang low whenever I am not watching the cinematic.

What's the HDR issue?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I don't know if it is HDR related, but the game seems washed out and low contrast at all times. I've not had audio issues, the center channel voices are all nice and clear, but I was playing with my settings in the Denon app so maybe I did something to help.

SeanFloyd

Neo Member
I was do disappointed by this game. I tried four separate times to get past the introduction but it was the most boring intro I've ever played in a game. After watching several walkthroughs you are still in this area hours into the game, I'll pass. Clunky controls, snails pace, boringggggggggggggggggggggg. Sold it on Craigslist while it's still worth something.

Future

Best parts of this game is the narrative and characters. But if someone told me that they fell asleep playing this game I’d believe it. Vast majority of this game is cruising on the horse. Often in cinematic mode, which turns the opening horse rides for every mission into a glorified long load and cut scene. Doing too many in a row bears on me a bit.

And since there is this same “load” to literally do anything you might choose to do, it can be a drag if some interesting random things don’t happen. It’s like they relied a bit to heavily on the tenseness of just riding thinking something might happen, because often nothing does. But the few times it does, sometimes you are caught off guard and can be murdered in seconds. So you are always on your guard, which feels cool, but also kind of boring

Controls aren’t great, as been discussed. But moreso you don’t have a lot of opportunity to get better because you rarely fight. There are a lot of missions that might just string a bunch of narrative cut scenes together, or have tiny bursts of gameplay in fetch type quests. If anything, I am a master at holding L2 and choosing a dialogue option since that is what I am doing 90 percent of the game it feels so far (started chapter 3)

DryvBy

Did anyone even play RDR1? The complaints about riding your horse to a location plays out the same way.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Oh so it's not my receiver acting like crap, it's the game? Dialogue is so dang low whenever I am not watching the cinematic.

What's the HDR issue?

The way they have put HDR in lacks fine calibration ability, they need a 3 part slider for shadows, paper white and highlights. The issue everyone with HDR issues is having is their "paper white" level is completely wrong as they are trying to make the highlights look right, which is all the slider is good for that rockstar put in. it affects everything, including shadow detail, when these calibrations are far to varied between screens for a single slider to work correctly. Think of it is a roving slider, adjusting one end pulls on all the other values too, so if you calibrate it to have paper white right (basically your middle brightness white) than your shadows and highlights will be off. Set your highlights right and your paper white is going to be too high, resulting in an imaging looking a bit desaturated, and the shadows will be to high resulting in the image looking washed out. What likely happened is they figured a simple control will get it "mostly right" and only tested it on a single OLED and single LCD, not bothering to see how crazy bad all the manufacturers have been at keeping their HDR mapping consistent or even logical.

The surround issues are 2 fold: The engine is not properly panning sound to the surrounds for 7.1+ setups , and sounds at an exact 90 degree angle are getting clipped (a known issue in the middleware they are using, it was patched 2 months ago but developers have to put in the patch them selves and update their game).

Last edited:

DryvBy

The way they have put HDR in lacks fine calibration ability, they need a 3 part slider for shadows, paper white and highlights. The issue everyone with HDR issues is having is their "paper white" level is completely wrong as they are trying to make the highlights look right, which is all the slider is good for that rockstar put in. it affectects everything, including shadow detail, when these calibrations are far to varied between screens for a single slider to work correctly.

The surround issues are 2 fold: The engine is not properly panning sound to the surrounds for 7.1+ setups , and sounds at an exact 90 degree angle are getting clipped (a known issue in the middleware they are using, it was patched 2 months ago but developers have to put in the patch them selves and update their game).

I have never been able to figure out the HDR calibration for "paper white" and so on. Is there a guide for this stuff? I feel like a mid-30 year old 80-year-old man with my TV. I have it calibrated but HDR has always been washed for me.

Codes 208

I love how random this game can get. One moment Im hog-tying a stranger (long story short: i greeted him, he told me to fuck off, so i was getting ready to dick dastardly him on a train track or something) when an outlaw with a hostage randomly popped by and he started shooting at me.
So i chased him down. Killed him and saved the hostage.

So a kidnapping was prevented by another kidnapping.

Last edited:

BONDO

For convenience sake - you can upgrade your campsite/Arthurs bed and acquire fast travel to all the major cities.
Now I just need a fast travel to the camp :p

Loving the game.....but im all for finding some convenience here and there.

Chapter 5 here. Cant wait to get off work.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
How are the "perfect" skins obtained? It's getting annoying that I still can't upgrade a single goddamn item in my camp because everything needs perfect skins, and I've never even seen one anywhere.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How are the "perfect" skins obtained? It's getting annoying that I still can't upgrade a single goddamn item in my camp because everything needs perfect skins, and I've never even seen one anywhere.

You have to examine the animal. It will let you know prior.

DryvBy

Use arrows, find 3 star animals, and shoot them in the head. I've only had 1 because I keep using a shotgun lol

Nymphae

Banned
Also, I lost the legendary bear skin from the mission near teh beginning, because I had no idea how to sell it. There was no trapper available yet, so I took my horse back to camp with the skin on it, and I couldn't do anything with it there. So I dropped it at camp, and it was eventually abandoned or something, kind of frustrated me. I still don't know what I'm doing with selling meats and skins, I usually just walk the carcass up to the cook at camp and select donate. But I don't know why that didn't work for the legendary skin. Why would they let you get the skin so early if you can't do anything with it?

You can scan them if you're close enough.

After I've killed it or before I kill it?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Examine them when exactly? I'm using arrows and going for headshots on animals I'm pretty sure I've examined, and I never see perfect skins.

You can scan them if you're close enough.

Yep. You have to be sneaky and when you get close enough, you can examine them to see their pelt quality prior to shooting. And yes, trees and brush/bushes do help conceal you.

Before.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Also, I lost the legendary bear skin from the mission near teh beginning, because I had no idea how to sell it. There was no trapper available yet, so I took my horse back to camp with the skin on it, and I couldn't do anything with it there. So I dropped it at camp, and it was eventually abandoned or something, kind of frustrated me. I still don't know what I'm doing with selling meats and skins, I usually just walk the carcass up to the cook at camp and select donate. But I don't know why that didn't work for the legendary skin. Why would they let you get the skin so early if you can't do anything with it?

Same thing happened with me and I tried the same thing, dropped it at camp hoping it would stay there. I think the only thing you can do at that point is donate it to the chef/crafter guy.

DryvBy

Before you kill them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This should help. Read the comments.

So that is necessary for getting a perfect pelt?

Not necessary, but weeds out time wasted shooting one's that are not.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Was at the midnight open at launch, was impressed by the crowd that eventually showed up.
Anyone get the limited edition?
What did you think of the extras in it?

What did you guys call your horse?
Mine is the ‘War Admiral’

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Now this is cool for more storage transporting...

it makes sense...i was wondering how do i travel with 2 jumbo pelts

Put one on your main horse and the other on your second. lasso the second horse to follow you. (I believe youcan also whistle and the horse will follow)

DryvBy

I did not see it, so it is probably for online?

You can go to the gunsmith however, and gold plates your guns.

The link you provided seems to tell me that gun is for GTAO not RDR2.

'Esteban'

It is, but you also get it for RDR2 (the joke in GTAO was that it was buried for your GTAO character some time in the 1800s).

Once you acquire your gratis Double-Action Revolver, complete the Headshot Challenge in Freemode for a GTA$250,000 reward and unlock it for future gun-slinging exploits in Red Dead Redemption 2 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Raven117

Yeah, the tutorial is slow, but truly this is presently in the running as of about hour 4 for the best video game I have ever played and will be in the top games ever for me.

Its not unfair to say that this is one of the best games ever made.

DryvBy

Yeah, the tutorial is slow, but truly this is presently in the running as of about hour 4 for the best video game I have ever played and will be in the top games ever for me.

Its not unfair to say that this is one of the best games ever made.

If you like it that much at 4 hours, just wait. It's overwhelming how much stuff there is to do.

Nymphae

Banned
No problem. Also, check around on the map... the pelt may still be out there. Either possibly in the stables, camp area, or the like. Some were discovering it in other places when they lost theirs as well.

I actually got one of the little top left messages that said I had abandoned it, so I'm assuming it's just gone. I left it at camp, and I haven't seen it since that message but I'll have another look when I get home tonight.

Last edited:

AJ Gaming

Neo Member
I really love when I think I seen it all, then I find a new place and new things to do. I never get bored. Riding to the mountain, in the snow and then back to the wasteland and the sun. The feeling I get from this game, how it makes me just want to explore and just live in this amazing world is amazing.

I havent had so much fun for a long time in a game.

Normally I use my PC (1080Ti) to play games, and the kids are using my Xbox One X. Now these days, I use the Xbox One X and they sit on my computer instead.

Last edited:

AJ Gaming

Neo Member
The feeling when I got my first Legendary Fish and Animal after reading the map, exploring and finding out where they are is sooo awesome

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I actually got one of the little top left messages that said I had abandoned it, so I'm assuming it's just gone. I left it at camp, and I haven't seen it since that message but I'll have another look when I get home tonight.

Ah ok. It may be gone.

Read some of the comments in here, lol. Some hilarious ways they lost it.

It may still end up at the trapper when you get to him.

Placed it down in camp. Vanished. Glad it’s still there at a trapper when I eventually get to them (25% complete)

Last edited:
Was at the midnight open at launch, was impressed by the crowd that eventually showed up.

My first horse is Buttercup (a thoroughbred race horse from the SE I believe)
Second is Roach and my third horse is Face like "This is my horse, Face." :messenger_tears_of_joy:
My last horse is an American Paint which has short legs so I went with Shorty.

Am I the only one that missed the memo that the physical copy has 2 discs? This must be the only game of current gen that did that. Guess its that time again a new media disc should be invented.

BONDO

I have two Arabians one white which I tamed named Ghost. The Black Arabian I bought in St. Denis is named Apollo.
My third is a Appaloosa I named Belle after my Dalmatian

DryvBy

I named my horse "Ed" and want to rename it.

Top Bottom